• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Ok, few questions:

1.) Why is the avatar filesize limit at 21.5kb? Surely BuF has enough storage space to at least boost it slightly? Say, 25kb or 30kb?

2.) If that's not possible, why can't we store our avatar's on our own servers/webspace and link it that way?

It does tend to get annoying spending half an hour sorting your avy out in photoshop, only to have to spend another 20 minutes trying to get it down to 21.5kb...

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
I'll make it even easier :)

There, it's on my webspace now. Could ya just link it into my avatar therefore saving BuF space and bandwidth.. easy :)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The true question is why the avatar limit is 14 kb while my profile picture can be 40 kb max.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I want to upload a new animated avatar by the way. I've been waiting for days to be able to upload a new one but the forums won't let me.

Mar 6, 2000
London
www.mox-guild.com
The reason why the avatar size is what it is,is because each avatar that needs to be displayed is stored in the VB database. If every poster had a 50k avatar then for the poor lowly 56k user it would take ages to load a page. We also recently increased the limit from 15k to 21k. Profile pictures are different as you would only ever see one of those per page (you only see it when you go to the user options).
The reason why we don't have offsite links allowable is because allowing html opens us up to various hacks that could be used (its also one of the reasons why html isn't allowed for user statuses either unless an admin gets a request for something they think is particuluarly witty/funny ;))