PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Bug with UT2004.

CaNaDa~MaN
14th Jun 2005, 12:04 AM
I had previously ran UT2004 on my computer with no problems whatsoever. Recently I purchased the game (Editors' Choice Edition) and whenever I play an online match, I get this lag-like jumpiness when I move around, but my ping is almost always below 50.

My hardware meets and surpasses the minimum requirements, my internet connection is about 3mbps. So it's no problem there.

When I test out my map I'm making through Unreal Editor, I can run around with no lag problems, but once I join an online game, regardless of the gametype or map, I get the most annoying, unplayable lag-like experience.

I've experienced this problem with the original CD version, 3339, and 3355 (Which I am using currently).

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

If so, do you know how to fix it?

BooGiTyBoY
14th Jun 2005, 12:11 AM
During a game check 2 things.

1) check your fps
2) check your packet loss

Hit F6 during gameplay to show your ping/packet loss and you can show your fps by opening the console and typing: stats fps

That will at least give you a hint wether it's your system or your connection.

CaNaDa~MaN
14th Jun 2005, 12:22 AM
Hmm, turns out my ping was pretty high. But, for every single server I join, regardless of the ping I get from it.

I never get these kinds of connection problems with other games, such as Counter Strike. Are there just problems with the UT2004 master server?

Taleweaver
14th Jun 2005, 01:24 AM
Just curious: what happens if you play the maps from the servers offline?

Your second post is pretty strange. Your "ping is high, but for every server you join, regardless of the ping you get..." :confused:
What's your average Frames Per Second?

I'm sorry to say, but your own custom maps are a bad way to compare against what you play online (unless you're playing the exact same map online). Simple maps have (of course) far less detail than the retail ones, so your computer might not choke up.

Oh, and welcome to BuF :)

CaNaDa~MaN
14th Jun 2005, 10:47 AM
Sorry, I phrased it oddly. I meant:
My ping is high. But it's high for every server I join, regardless of the ping it has.
And yes, my framerate is fine, it's always around 60fps.

O_DoGG
14th Jun 2005, 10:57 AM
Might sound dumb, but better safe than sorry: have your adjusted your net connection to DSL in the game menu?
Other than that, fiddling with the netspeed setting (type netspeed XXXXX in the console, where Xes are numbers) might help.

CaNaDa~MaN
14th Jun 2005, 11:04 AM
Well, I tried out the game again this morning, and it seems that the lag isn't nearly as severe. Although my ping remains similar, I don't experience as much lag.

DaBeatard
14th Jun 2005, 11:18 AM
My ping is high. But it's high for every server I join, regardless of the ping it has.
Just for troubleshooting's sake, can you give us actual numbers? The problem might be easier to pinpoint then.

Specifically, ping and packetloss.

Nereid
14th Jun 2005, 11:28 AM
Physical location too, maybe.

Taleweaver
14th Jun 2005, 11:50 AM
Sorry, I phrased it oddly. I meant:
Hmm...I still don't get this. Are you saying you enter a server that appears on the master list as one with low ping, and then, when you actually get into the game, your ping increases?
AFAIK, the ping you see on the master server page is how the server pings to you, and should therefore normally be about a good indication of what to expect when you get ingame.

Did you check your connection, btw? Spyware and other computers on a same network can split up your line, which would explain the package loss.

-AEnubis-
14th Jun 2005, 02:09 PM
In console:

Stat net

Detailed connection information.

The part you prolly need to check is:

Netspeed

For your connection, it should be at least 7000, prolly 10000 if server allows it. If it's not type this in console:

netspeed 10000

Retest.

CaNaDa~MaN
16th Jun 2005, 08:14 PM
ok, my ping is usually around 100-150, but I get the nastiest lag. I set my netspeed to 10,000, it isn't my graphics card, I'm getting like 80fps.

I really have no clue what's going on,

JohnDoe641
16th Jun 2005, 08:37 PM
100 - 150 is complete crap for a game that's hitscan based. I'm suprised that you even enjoy it. D:

CaNaDa~MaN
16th Jun 2005, 08:39 PM
Does it look like I'm enjoying it? That's why I'm seeking help.

I can play just about any other online game perfectly, but UT2004 is being a big jackass and lagging me to hell.

-AEnubis-
17th Jun 2005, 02:24 AM
Server browser doesn't show you any sub-100 pings?

CaNaDa~MaN
17th Jun 2005, 09:19 PM
Yes, the servers I see are usually 50 and up.

For testing purposes, I joined a server with a ping of 50ms, when I got in, my ping was at around 125, I was skipping and lagging all over the place, it was unplayable.

BITE_ME
18th Jun 2005, 02:35 AM
Turn down your video settings. It should help you out.

PS. Is any one else on your connection?

-AEnubis-
18th Jun 2005, 03:28 AM
What kind of net card? router?

I've noticed at my new address my connection is a ton better then my last two, and I think most of it has to do with I've got a linux box routing now. Before, I was using pos hardware routers.

If it's just you and a bb modem, then maybe try turning off any firewall you have running, if you run a software firewall.

CaNaDa~MaN
18th Jun 2005, 03:07 PM
ah!! Thank you!!

It was Norton Internet Security! I disabled it, and I got a ping of like 20-50ms.

Problem Solved!

Sahkolihaa
18th Jun 2005, 03:54 PM
ah!! Thank you!!

It was Norton Internet Security! I disabled it, and I got a ping of like 20-50ms.

Problem Solved!I was just going to post have you got Norton Internet Security installed. I've had so many people asking me for help with ping issues and what did they all have in common? Norton Internet Security, and disabling it always stopped the problem :rolleyes:

Do your self a favour, get a decent free anti-virus such as Avast home edition, and a free firewall such as Zone alarm. You shouldn't get any problems then ;)

CaNaDa~MaN
18th Jun 2005, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I think I'll do that. Norton has caused all sorts of little problems like that.

carmatic
19th Jun 2005, 01:51 PM
I've noticed at my new address my connection is a ton better then my last two, and I think most of it has to do with I've got a linux box routing now. Before, I was using pos hardware routers.

eh? using a linux box for a router can help reduce your ping?

T2A`
19th Jun 2005, 04:40 PM
Hmm... My mom's computer has Norton Internet Security on it and my pings are fine. I hate the thing, though. Takes up an annoyingly large amount of resources and tries to scan every file I download... twice. Damn n00b crap.

-AEnubis-
19th Jun 2005, 04:51 PM
not improove your ping, but stabilize it. Ping is mostly dictated by distance. Routing on a more global scale.