Overlaying a video sequence on realtime gameplay?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Hi all :) Ok, I'm in the design stages for a large RPG TC game currently, with a view to working with UnrealEngine 3 when it is released (primarily because I require the seamless level loading technology). Now, as powerful as the current particle systems are, and no doubt UE3's systems will be even more advanced by the demos I've so far seen, I'm not 100% certain that some of the advanced effects I'll be needing for spells and so on will be possible. So I'm exploring other ways to do them should the need arise.

Now my question is: is it possible to overlay a video sequence from an external source (created and rendered in 3dmax for example) on top of realtime action in the game? I've seen this method used in games like Grandia 2 to good effect and would be interested in whether anyone here thinks it would work or not. Fair enough, we won't know about the capabilities of UE3 until release, but I can at least get an idea of how to proceed from UT2004 :)

Thanks in advance.

eastgate2

May 17, 2003
orbiting
I would like to know this answer as well, though I know nothing about coding. Afaik, the only unreal engine game that used movies "inside" the level was Wheel of Time by triggering a quicktime movie during the level, show the movie then triggered player back to game. Other than this, Thief Deadly Shadows uses bik movies in the same manner. These two examples used the movies at full screen but that could be modified to "overlay" the way you wanted. I'm sure in these two aforementioned games played the movies inside the levels since the engine was running in the background while movies were shown. In other words, movies were not like transitional cut-scenes between two level loadings.

Anyway, hope some coding folk will enlight me and Radiosity.

Hazard.ep

Oct 7, 2003
I'm pretty sure that this is not possible without having access to the C++ engine code. You could perhaps use some animated texture + some sound, but it would probably suck in means of performance and filesize. If I'm wrong I'd also be pretty interested how it works...;)

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
I actually had another idea for how to get some pretty detailed effects going, but I haven't tested it yet (not sure if it's even possible). Basically it just involves creating an animation in Max and exporting that to be used as a decoration styled actor (with bones where necessary for attaching additional particle effects), then spawning that instead of an emitter.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Well, that not a new question - i saw such one on wiki. The thing is that currently there's no way to do that with UT2004. It's not capable of such thing. The other UE-based games that had real-time video displayed on texture had modified renderer. So far as I know this is done via special ScriptedTexture, that is capable of displaying avi (in case of Star Wars: Republic Commando) or bik (Bink Video) (DeusEx 2: Invisible War). The UDN also has couple of documents on the subject (So You Want To Use Bink Movies && In Game Movie Playing on Textures and the HUD), but it is restricted to licensees. So, you'll have to find a work-around.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Well I guess I can share this little info.

The stock unreal engine does not come with any movie playback features (no avi\mpg\roq\bink\swf\...)
There are however solutions available to licensees to include such things (for UE2 and UE2.5).
I do not know about UE3, but I doubt it will come out of the box with an ingame movie playback feature.