Tweak UT graphics/sound to the max

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The greatest mystery of all: OpenGL or D3D (Including the D3D8 one)?

• OpenGl

Votes: 108 64.7%
  • D3D (or D3D8)

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • Software is the best!

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • They all suck!

Votes: 14 8.4%

• Total voters

madscientist327

Pure Genius
Apr 24, 2005
The Milky Way Galaxy
ok :)

Edit: Update # 7

Edit2: I guess that's all... This thread won't be updated for awhile... Unless a new version of something comes out, or somebody has questions or feedback... Hope this thread doesn't become buried under all the new threads coming out...

Last edited:

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
If S3Fix is what I think it is, its purpose is to stop "sliding" characters in online games. But from what I've heard, that's caused by servers running with S3TC textures. So it seems unnecessary for the most part. That is, if I understand what S3Fix is at all.

madscientist327

Pure Genius
Apr 24, 2005
The Milky Way Galaxy
I think that the "skating" problem hapens only on servers running the dedicated server pack. Servers that were created from normal UT cd installations don't have the problem. I read this somewhere but I don't remember where...

By the way, has anybody come across the "skating" problem before? It is slightly amusing for awhile, but then it gets annoying. :)

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
I don't play online much, but there are a few dedicated (v451) servers which I know don't have s3tc, where I don't see the problem. I've only seen sliding characters on one server, though I haven't been able to confirm whether it's using s3tc or not.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
I think this thread should be sticky.
Noticing during all these years how many people asked questions about their UT graphics problems and will continue to ask questions about it, this thread can be of great help.

More helping and usefull in a sticky position than "city intro benchmark" or "godlike demo projects" in my opinion that should be un-sticky.

Last edited:

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
If i am not mistaken by what i have read from one of the developers of this oldunreal patch somewhere on the BUF , chris dohnal opengl render is the one featured in the oldunreal patch.

So there are chances that the 1 framerate difference you are experiment is near to be a placebo effect ;) causing by a system using a bit less ressource in one of your framerate test than in another test.

Last edited:

giabboo

Jun 28, 2005
Nice thread!

Thanks a lot, I lost the cd2 from the Game of Year package(maybe someone f***ed me it:lol: ) so i'm gettin the Textures from the link u posted :D very thx ;)

madscientist327

Pure Genius
Apr 24, 2005
The Milky Way Galaxy
You're welcome. :)

Edit: Looks like the links for the s3tc textures have disappeared, at least the first one... Only one link for them left... If nobody downloads it for 30 days it will disappear, same as the other one...

Edit2: Anybody know a place where it can be uploaded and stay there forever? Or at least longer?

Last edited:

dark_helmet

Jun 30, 2005
Very nice thread there, ive been using the http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/ ? renderer for quite a while now (since i gave up on Glide), its slower but i like it more than the official renderer.

Im just wondering if you have tried oneXblending=true ? just a persional preference, but the lighting seems so much better when it's on. other than that, good work ;)

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
madscientist327 said:
Edit2: Anybody know a place where it can be uploaded and stay there forever? Or at least longer?

A friend of mine pointed this filefront offer to me.
But i don't know more about it.

Last edited:

madscientist327

Pure Genius
Apr 24, 2005
The Milky Way Galaxy
dark_helmet said:
Im just wondering if you have tried oneXblending=true ? just a persional preference, but the lighting seems so much better when it's on. other than that, good work ;)

oneXblending=true makes the lighting look like d3d. Most maps I have, look better with oneXblending set to false because they were designed for opengl. With it set to true, many maps look dark and kind of ugly. I only think I have seen one map in which it is a problem and it is ctf-baranco (is that how you spell it?) It was probably made for d3d and the ground looks too bright and hurts my eyes... Other than that, everything else is fine. :)

FieldMedic said:
A friend of mine pointed this filefront offer to me.
But i don't know more about it.

"You are solely responsible for all materials, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, that you upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available on our sites ("Your Content"). You certify that you own all intellectual property rights in Your Content. You hereby grant us, our affiliates, and our partners a worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free, nonexclusive, sub-licensable license to use, modify, copy, reproduce, create derivative works of, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, transfer, sell, transmit, distribute and publish Your Content and subsequent versions of Your Content for the purposes of (i) displaying Your Content on our sites, (ii) distributing Your Content, either electronically or via other media, to users seeking to download or otherwise acquire it, and/or (iii) storing Your Content in a remote database accessible by end users, for a charge."

This is what it says at filefront. I am not sure if I would be allowed to upload the textures there. Can anybody verify this?

By the way, I will be out of town for five days starting tomorrow, so if anyone posts here I might not reply because maybe I won't have access to the internet. ;)

Edit: OMG! This thread is a sticky now! :eek: Cool! :D

Edit2: Annonymous_mapper, I really don't know how to help you, if that is what you want. I really don't know that much about hardware problems and whatnot. Can anybody else help Annonymous_mapper? All that I can sugest is try setting UseVertexSpecular=False MaxLogTextureSize=8 MinLogTextureSize=0. Unless you know what these are and are setting it to those values on purpose. Try setting CacheStaticMaps=False as well. I never found out what that option was so if you know please tell me. And last, some of those options look old. Make sure you have the latest version. If you do have it, go into unrealtournament.ini and delete all those settings for opengl. Run the game and open advanced preferences and redo the settings. If you look in the ini file again, the old and obsolete settings should be gone. The settings will also be in order so that is nice as well. :)

Last edited:

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
madscientist327 said:
Edit: OMG! This thread is a sticky now! :eek: Cool! :D
Just say thanks to hal ;)

This thread is very usefull, considering how many times questions about UT tweaking have been asked, it really deserved to be in sticky position.
People should be able to find the solution to their problem quicker.