Semi SUV

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Do you think the Semi-SUV is too good?

• It's way too good, tone it down!

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • It's fine as it is.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • It needs to be better!

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I haven't played with it/gotten it to work.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Do you think the Semi-SUV is unbalanced for UnWheel?

Before we had these firm established "bests"

KOTH: Centipede, Race Truck
Race: Flair F1, Venom GTSR
Rabbit/Roamer: SmarMobile, monstertruck
CTF: Most Vehicles
K-Ball: Most Vehicls

but now with Semi-SUV it has a large wheels and fast acceleration, which makes it the best for rabbit and roamer, it has a hig top speed which makes it the best for race and it's relatively powerful which makes it the best for KOTH.

It seems to me that the top speed needs to be dropped below that of the SmarMobile's because that way it is balanced ith it (SmarMobile is fast to accelerate but has an average top speed)

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Don't blame me for the SemiSUV:D it's not in my nature to make something I know to be inferior :hmm: I have found out through experimenting that the absolute Karma top speed it more than double our current top speeds:p I can also remove some of the advantage of the SemiSUV by giving it the ability to do wheelies:D You can't steer with the front wheels off the ground :crazydance:

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
stevenhorton said:
Don't blame me for the SemiSUV:D it's not in my nature to make something I know to be inferior :hmm: I have found out through experimenting that the absolute Karma top speed it more than double our current top speeds:p I can also remove some of the advantage of the SemiSUV by giving it the ability to do wheelies:D You can't steer with the front wheels off the ground :crazydance:
I'm not actually against it. Hey if the top speed is higher why don't we just make all the other vehicles go much faster than the S? would certainly make the game a bit harder/more fun.

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Absolutely, make the others faster:) I have tested the exact same vehicles in both vctf and UnWheel mode with interesting results; UnWheel has a top Kspeed of 3300 with turbo applied, vctf has a top Kspeed of 7500. I have no idea why:p

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Would someone be interested in doing some maths, based on vehicle scale, to see what the current vehicle speeds are in 'real' terms?

The reason the vehicles don't travel at 3457203985 km/p is because firstly, you never know what might skip and jump at that speed online with a medium to high ping, and it would be near uncontrollable at that speed with any kind of ping above average. Also, playing something like Rabbit, or CTF with super fast cars would be extremely difficult - sure everyone's on the same 'scale', but with so much extra speed, skipping and jumping with lag, I imagine it would be near impossible to catch someone going that fast. Probably for much the same reason you're not allowed to carry a flag and drive a Manta in VCTF.

One major reason for the seemingly slow vehicles is once again, balance. We can't realistically have all vehicles zooming along at insane speeds. Or else there would be (granted, there are one or two now as it is) a 'killer car' that everyone would choose for every gametpye. We can't realistically speed up something like the trucks or buggies to match anywhere near a KMaxSpeed of 7000+.

I haven't played much VCTF, but I certainly didn't notice any vehicles doing such massive speeds. I'm assuming you're playing with custom vehicles that go that fast? Well there's nothing stopping anyone from creating vehicles that go 10000 or more in UnWheel, it's just that obviously once that vehicle hits a server, nobody would want to drive anything else :p. Just like you wouldn't want to drive a standard Scorpion or Hellbender in a VCTF game where everyone else is driving a SemiSUV going 7000 :p.

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Good points Shrimp:) I never consitered the network problem of keeping track of vehicles going that fast. On the testing side, I have a 3 mile plus test tunnel with a marker at 1/4 mile, 1 mile, 2 mile and 3 miles. I made the same track for UnWheel and VCTF. I also used the same .uc codes for the VCTF vehicles, except that they were not UWSCAR, but onswheeledcraft. We could do some online testing of the faster VCTF vehicles to see how they behave, misbehave, online. My mile measurements are not taken from the size of the vehicle, but from unreal units. Test results:
FlairFOne 1/4 mile, 12;mile 37.
MOD 1/4 mile, 12; mile 40
motorcycle 1/4 11; mile 37
Bugger 1/4 mile 14; mile 42
SemiSUV 1/4 mile 9; mile 35

Last edited:

bobnine

JamesG
Jul 18, 2004
New Zealand
If you want to play with fast vehicles you can use the gamespeed mutator.Also, turning on low gravity while using the gamespeed mutator will make for slightly more realisic physics.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
bobnine said:
If you want to play with fast vehicles you can use the gamespeed mutator.Also, turning on low gravity while using the gamespeed mutator will make for slightly more realisic physics.

wow. Just realized that the motorcycle is faster than the Flair F1!
Serious unrealism methinks.

$n][pErMan

UnWheel Server Guru!
Aug 29, 2004
Its high speed is countered by its extremely hard ability to control. I think its fine that way it is. Although better physics would be nice.... if you hit another car you fly across the map like it has no weight .. lol

craze

Jan 27, 2005
$n][pErMan said:
Its high speed is countered by its extremely hard ability to control. I think its fine that way it is. Although better physics would be nice.... if you hit another car you fly across the map like it has no weight .. lol
but flying is good, especialy if you just stole the flag. :D

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
$n][pErMan said:
I must admit ... in rabbit .. that car is a beast :lol: :)

that's what I mean, it's got too much of everything. If you toned down only one factor then it would be better (i.e. acceleration, or top speed. I'd recommend acceleration, although realistically it's top speed really should be below the Flair F1's)

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
stevenhorton said:
Absolutely, make the others faster:) I have tested the exact same vehicles in both vctf and UnWheel mode with interesting results; UnWheel has a top Kspeed of 3300 with turbo applied, vctf has a top Kspeed of 7500. I have no idea why:p

is it because unwheel vehicles are using a smaller scale compared to the default vehicles?

::edit:: uhh or not... umm nevermind

Last edited:

JACK SH!T

Evil Genius in a Nutshell
Sep 2, 2004
The faster cars are harder to controll (most of them). I think This is a good ballance between speed and handling. Slow and steady, or fast and reckless. I've used the F1, and lost to the Bugger on road maps. I'd say if anything, the faster the car is, the looser it should be. Kindda' like the RaceStang is; fast & loose, like my woman.... :lol: :rolleyes: :eek: :( :mad: *JS thinks for a moment....* :D
If anything, I'd say make the simisuv hard to handle so other cars can compete with it, like the motorcycle is.
I wouldn't mind seeing someone make a '69 Nova, Chevel, Rancharo/ElComino or a GTO for UW that had good pickup, top speed, but a little loose like the RaceStang. Mayby even get sideways when you start like a real streetrod does when you punch it.
Hey, what about a T-Bucket Roadster?

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Or, how about a 1970 AAR Cuda? I had this car in my early twenty's:) I only have a couple hours in it so far, so don't get concerned with how rough it is:p

Attachments

• cuda1.jpg
    cuda1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 20

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
stevenhorton said:
Or, how about a 1970 AAR Cuda? I had this car in my early twenty's:) I only have a couple hours in it so far, so don't get concerned with how rough it is:p
Nice one Steve, UnWheel needs some more muscle ;)