Tim Sweeney Interview - Level Design, Tech, and More

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Beyond3D has a short Q&A with Tim Sweeney of Epic Games, mostly discussing Unreal Engine 3.0. (Thanks PU)

Intel17: Also, I've noticed you've really stepped back from direct involvement on the rendering side of things, could you tell me what your current involement in the engine is?

Tim Sweeney: Mainly I've been doing "technical director" type work here, working with the ever-growing engine team to assure that we're doing the right things and doing them optimally, plus various next-gen (and even next-next-gen) R&D projects we're not talking about, and travelling around the world to meet with folks using or considering UE3 as well as keeping up to date with the GPU and CPU folks. Definitely I'm doing a lot less coding these days than past years, but that changes cyclically (I did very little programming in 1993-1994 between Jill of the Jungle shipping and beginning on Unreal too.)