PDA

View Full Version : Comments on the E3 UT2007 video footge

Vedanth Salian
4th Jun 2005, 03:07 PM
I saw the E3 UT2007 Video and overall I'm a lot dissapointed when I saw it. I expected a lot to improve but didnt see those stuffs. But from what Ive seen I'm going to write it down & see what you guys have to say about it. Corrections are welcomed.

The things I loved :=
1) Great theme, graphics, great mapping approach (I always loved the variety in Assault Scenarios & the Street feeling is always what I wanted to be playing in UT. thumbs up)

2) Over the top Manta & Goliath Design. (The designs were awesome. Manta was just like an fearsome insect with great visual ammo, Goliath with awesome physics, Raptor though I didnt see the design clearly had a great visual ammo.)

3) Great gameplay idea to increase the gravity (I too felt it was unnecessary to abandon the dodge jump tricks as it added a lot of depth).

The things I hated :=
1) Everything same as UT2004. (I was shocked to see the feeling of the game to be just like UT2004. I thought Epic wanted to increase the model size so that the bots felt like Classic UT, so that they felt real. Man when will I see realistic models just like real people in front)

2) Bull**** Rocket Launcher & Shock Rifle Models (Crazy Models. Looks like Epic doesnt have a weapon modeller in their team. The shock rifle ammo was visually stunning though. The Rocket launcher hands down)

3) Darker & Smaller Models (Any newbie is not going to like the competitive aspects of the game that are as absurd as making the models smaller & darker just for the benifit of player with sharp eyes. If you guys want to improve competitive aspects, do it in some other areas & not by making models smaller & darker. With UE3 what is stopping you from making the models similiar to Classic UT).

4) Smaller Scorpion (The Scorpion just looks like a small buggy that is half the height of the players height. From the early screenshots I thought it would be equal to height of the player. When its big it really feels like driving a real car. for example look at Half Life 2 hollow jeep. When you get into it, it really feels like your entering a car).

The things I cant comment :=
1) Player movement (Since it was a video I couldnt get the feel of the movements so i cant comment)

2) Reload Feature (I think a reload feature on the weapons would add a lot of depth in the gameplay. Its not like gamers hate the reload feature. Almost all the successful multiplayer games have the reload feature. Just my suggestion)

3) Limited weapon carrying ability (Let there lots of weapon in the game but limited carrying ability like Halo 2. Just like an ability to carry 3-4 weapons from many available specific sets of weapons like in UC2. I think it adds a lot of gameplay depth & tactics in the game & avoids spammy gameplay)

Obviously this was just an early build of the game. I have to have patience to see what Epic has to come up with. There is still a lot to change etc. Anyways im going to buy the game as Ut is the only Sci-fi shooter that can satisfy my tastes. So all I have to say is good luck Epic.

Selerox
4th Jun 2005, 04:31 PM
2) Reload Feature (I think a reload feature on the weapons would add a lot of depth in the gameplay. Its not like gamers hate the reload feature. Almost all the successful multiplayer games have the reload feature. Just my suggestion)

3) Limited weapon carrying ability (Let there lots of weapon in the game but limited carrying ability like Halo 2. Just like an ability to carry 3-4 weapons from many available specific sets of weapons like in UC2. I think it adds a lot of gameplay depth & tactics in the game & avoids spammy gameplay)

2) NO - This isn't counter-Strike, it's not meant to be realistic. It would just screw up the gameplay completely. I'd hope Epic aren't stupid enough to even consider that.

3) NO - Reason as above, it's not meant to be realistic. people should be able to pick up anything the want and use it.

Freedom is what makes UT, take that away, and it's a lesser game, end of story.

Bloodwolf806
4th Jun 2005, 04:41 PM
UT isn't meant to be realistic. It's meant to be fun.

G.Lecter
4th Jun 2005, 05:10 PM
Any download link to that video??? :rolleyes:

carmatic
4th Jun 2005, 05:33 PM
3) Darker & Smaller Models (Any newbie is not going to like the competitive aspects of the game that are as absurd as making the models smaller & darker just for the benifit of player with sharp eyes. If you guys want to improve competitive aspects, do it in some other areas & not by making models smaller & darker. With UE3 what is stopping you from making the models similiar to Classic UT).

umm the competitive players actually want the players to be equally visible, hence the big debate on brightskins etc etc...
i say, players should walk around with a lightsource on their shoulders, thats brightskins for them and plus its alot less likely to fall down a hole to your death in a dark area of the map, and you get to show off ue3's great lighting too when its casting shadows of things around it...

Vedanth Salian
4th Jun 2005, 11:00 PM
2) NO - This isn't counter-Strike, it's not meant to be realistic. It would just screw up the gameplay completely. I'd hope Epic aren't stupid enough to even consider that.

3) NO - Reason as above, it's not meant to be realistic. people should be able to pick up anything the want and use it.

Look, just because I wrote down Reload & Less Weapon Feature doesnt mean I hate the current UT2004 style but man the one of the guys who gets hurt when seeing UT2004 low online numbers is definitly me. Epic can do so may great games. It has the potential. Then why does a online
shooter like Ut2004 that is made for online play suck in numbers. The need of the hour is tactical play. Halo 2 doesnt have a advanced weapon & movement system like UT2004. Then why is it getting so much atention of online guys. Therefore Epic must really do an awesome game to appeal a large percentage of online players to survive its mod community. Man it doent matter if its fun like other games out there it has to be double or triple the fun of the current games to really make inroads into another
games community. If you are saying we dont need other players community to join UT2004 is just your opinion. Epic wants it. Thats the reason they are putting all the cool new features to increase its online numbers. That is why they are releasing better versions of UT in a short span of time. Am I wrong? Definitely no. Look at 95% of the successful games out there has reload feature. Even sci-fi shooter like Halo 2 which has awesome players has reload feature. Epic needs to get it 100% right when it comes to taste of large group of online players to get them interested in UT2007. What are the online numbers of UT2004? 3000. Are you happy? Im not because im a serious fanboy.

Vedanth Salian
4th Jun 2005, 11:05 PM

Look, just because I wrote down Reload & Less Weapon Feature doesnt mean I hate the current UT2004 style but man the one of the guys who gets hurt when seeing UT2004 low online numbers is definitly me. Epic can do so may great games. It has the potential. Then why does a online
shooter like Ut2004 that is made for online play suck in numbers. The need of the hour is tactical play. Halo 2 doesnt have a advanced weapon & movement system like UT2004. Then why is it getting so much atention of online guys. Therefore Epic must really do an awesome game to appeal a large percentage of online players to survive its mod community. Man it doent matter if its fun like other games out there it has to be double or triple the fun of the current games to really make inroads into another
games community. If you are saying we dont need other players community to join UT2004 is just your opinion. Epic wants it. Thats the reason they are putting all the cool new features to increase its online numbers. That is why they are releasing better versions of UT in a short span of time. Am I wrong? Definitely no. Look at 95% of the successful games out there has reload feature. Even sci-fi shooter like Halo 2 which has awesome players has reload feature. Epic needs to get it 100% right when it comes to taste of large group of online players to get them interested in UT2007. What are the online numbers of UT2004? 3000. Are you happy? Im not because im a serious fanboy.

Black_Seeds
5th Jun 2005, 01:16 AM
Even sci-fi shooter like Halo 2 which has awesome players has reload feature. Epic needs to get it 100% right when it comes to taste of large group of online players to get them interested in UT2007. What are the online numbers of UT2004? 3000. Are you happy? Im not because im a serious fanboy.

Unreal 2 had reloads and not as many people play that as UT04. Also It kinda goes against the UT storyline, why would they make the guns less advanced then they already are in the future?

FireCrack
5th Jun 2005, 04:07 AM
A reload feature wont help, noone buys a game because it has a reload feature.

It's just a game balance mechanism.

blutspender
5th Jun 2005, 05:06 AM
Any download link to that video??? :rolleyes:

I think that could be this one (http://www.g4tv.com/mediaplayer/index.aspx?video_key=9135)

Selerox
5th Jun 2005, 07:19 AM
The need of the hour is tactical play.

Sorry, but that's crap. People don't play UT for "tactical play", they play it for action. It's the reason I play UT, and the reason many other people play UT. We don't want a slow, dull game, we don't want "tactical depth". We want action. We want speed. "Tactical gameplay" doesn't give us that. I don't mind that style of gameplay, but not in UT. Never in UT.

The day UT goes "tactical" is the day I quit playing UT.

JaFO
5th Jun 2005, 12:08 PM
I don't want speed (Gamespeed set at 80% is fast enough for me ;))
For me that's enough to add all the 'tactical' elements I could want.

// Vedanth Salian
It really is impossible to make any kind of comment based on a video/bit of gameplay that was clearly designed to show the new engine/effects. There's at least a year of testing and redesigning waiting.
I doubt it was as dark as the video made it appear, because it would have been impossible to even see the enemy he was shooting at yet he clearly had no problems ...

If UT was trying to be a semi-realistic futuristic shooter then features like reloading & reduced inventory would have been a requirement. However UT never tried to be semi-realistic. I still think a (semi)real variant of UT would be a fun *mod* though.

Mad Max RW
5th Jun 2005, 02:41 PM
Ha, it seems people are throwing the word "tactical" around without knowing what the hell it means. When you think tactical and the first thing to come to mind is Counter Stike, then that's just pathetic. UT2k4's onslaught is more tactical than CS.

There's sooooo many more failed CS wannabe games out there than fast paced scifi shooters. If you want a good tactical FPS then go try a little known game called Rainbow 6. After that it all went downhill with quick sequels and watered down knockoffs. Tactical and "realism" are words thrown around way too much these days.

Vedanth Salian
5th Jun 2005, 10:59 PM
Sorry, but that's crap. People don't play UT for "tactical play", they play it for action. It's the reason I play UT, and the reason many other people play UT. We don't want a slow, dull game, we don't want "tactical depth". We want action. We want speed. "Tactical gameplay" doesn't give us that. I don't mind that style of gameplay, but not in UT. Never in UT.

You guys have taken my post wrongly. Im not saying the absence of reload feature makes UT2004 have low online numbers. Im saying the reload feature is an small aspect which will increase the depth of the game. The reason why I have stated that a lot of games have reload mechanism is
just to make the fact clear that gamers like it. So having it wont have a negative impact since this fact is evident in the populat online games.

Another statement I want to make is that I dont want UT to become another Counterstrike where the pace is slow. I want UT to have a fast & tactical gameplay. One of the main element worth looking in a Sci-fi shooter is definetly action. I too play UT2004 mainly for action. But a game needs depth in the the form of awesome tactical elements. Just having a fast non tactical game where brute force wins will definitly wont have a longer life. Instead brute force accompanied by intelligent play wins will be more interesting.

It really is impossible to make any kind of comment based on a video/bit of gameplay that was clearly designed to show the new engine/effects. There's at least a year of testing and redesigning waiting.
I doubt it was as dark as the video made it appear, because it would have been impossible to even see the enemy he was shooting at yet he clearly had no problems ...

The only things I had comment on is the things I saw clearly. Look I told Street Feeling, Goliath & Manta Designs, gravity, Model Size (not the opponents but you could see a character of your team running
before you in visibly clear lights), Smaller Scorpion, Rocket launcher & Shock Rifle Models, feeling of UT2004 (seen at the early stages of video before Malcolm encounters his opponents). All these things could be seen clearly.

And the the thing about jumping into conclusion I have stated it is an early build & lots have to change.

Another thing to add is most of the guys say UT isnt meant to be realistic. Why do they have to bring the word 'realistic'. People state CS as realistic or semi realistic & UT as unrealistic games. The actual thing is that UT is futuristic & not unrealistic. This feeling has to change.

edhe
6th Jun 2005, 04:34 AM
No it doesn't, we like it that way.

If you think that UT isn't tactical then you've obviously not played it enough, the idea of putting a reload feature in there is.. just stupid. How about putting mushrooms that make you bigger too? Oh wait yeah, that's another GAMETYPE you're talking about - not an action shooter.

UT is about, and always has been about, fast action combined with intelligent use of weapons and maps. If you don't think so then you're biased towards another genre that has some sort of snooty 'better than them' idea.

UT is about fast and powerful fun, with a good sized set of weapons and potential for very tactical play, in a variety of mods. If you don't think it should be like that, then go play a different gametype.

Black_Seeds
6th Jun 2005, 05:39 AM
To add reloads to UT would completely kill the gameplay, it will make the game less intense and 'in your face' which is what Epic and a majority of the community doesnt want, if somebody runs out of bullets, they run and hide while they wait for the reload.

SirYawnalot
6th Jun 2005, 06:27 AM
Adding reloads to a game like UT would be a piece of arbitrary nonsense, it only adds any depth to games that are either slow paced or where enemies die very quickly (ie. Counter-Strike :P). Adding it to a faster game where the dodging system can make it hard to get a hit in the first place and you're only going to put more potential fresh blood off the game.

On the other hand though, its use on certain weapons would definitely solve the problem instagibbers always have with normal-weapons: that it's too spammy.

livingtarget
6th Jun 2005, 07:06 AM
I was gonna ramble on about stuff right here, but let's see the ideas that are being argued about are simply not fitting for UT. It may work in other games, but I don't really see it work in UT, especially in conquest where you got a frontline and you definitly want as much weapons as possible. Hence weapon limitations would just be plain stupid and take away from the action.

Xaero_UT
7th Jun 2005, 08:17 PM
i myself play ut, because it is different from most fps's with the fact that it goes away from teh realistic, sure, u could make all the skins, cia, or hired goons, but wheres the fun in that...i could buy atleast 20 other games that are the exact same,

i for 1, like teh fact that they decided to make up weapons, that are different, versatile, not just a rip of real life and every other game. i like the fact that while UT has clans, and tactics is important, it isn't just it..

sure u could have a game, where 3 shots of any weapon and ur gone (lets see games like cs incorporate a minigun where a player can survive 20 shots into their game) teh fact that if u decide to walk into an open room, u have a chance, than rather 'hide' (like a sissy) in the bushes, or behind some crap.

while i respect those other games, its why i enjoy ut, (and a lesser extent quake) and would choose them over any james bond, cs, whatever coming my way..

anyway jmho

.:42:.
7th Jun 2005, 08:48 PM
I think they should add more unrealistic stuff and dont take away the dodge jump!!

Thats why it's called Unreal Tournament!

Vedanth Salian
7th Jun 2005, 10:32 PM
I think we had enough of a discussion on Reload feature. Lets go to other points of my post to see whats you guys opinion? The things are the feel, weapon models, vehicle models etc etc. It has been great chatting with you guys to know your tastes.

Olga
8th Jun 2005, 12:52 AM
It's called Unreal Tournament because it's a part of the Unreal universe, which is mostly just sci-fi...

Oakwarrior
8th Jun 2005, 02:38 AM
Conquest is gonna be tactical enough. Onslaught will be more tactical. Good for me. Weapons... yeah. The Shock Rifle is really cheesy. The rocket launcher needs a bit of a makeover, it looks like a bundle of wires and lights, not explosives! Flak cannon projectiles are still like small comets. I really don't like the goddamn light-trails.
Vehicles? Manta looks great. I want to drive that thing around. Scorpion? Hell, now it's got bumper blades, and is smaller. I like that there is a smaller vehicle. More ability to manouver. Raptor is the same, but wings are turned upside down. Cool? Err... But it's projectiles look really cool. INCOMING! Goliath is still a hellbringer. Direct hit and everyone/thing is blown to smithereens.
All from me!

edhe
8th Jun 2005, 04:32 AM
Player weapons will develop over time. Like they've been saying it's early in the dev and they've only just ported 2k4 gametypes & stuff into the 2k7 engine and are 1/4 through the dev cycle.

There's going to be a world of change yet.

Vedanth Salian
8th Jun 2005, 09:46 PM
My main concern is the Scorpion. It looks like a kart reacing car. The whole feel changes when you have a bigger model that is equal to the players height. Look at the Halo 2 Warthog (Its equal to the players height) & Half Life 2 hollow jeep (Its equal to the players height) What it does is actually does is you get the feeling your getting into a car rather than this kart. I would also like quick animation of the player getting into the vehicle. It wuld be fun.

moonflyer
8th Jun 2005, 11:34 PM

:)
+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BooGiTyBoY
9th Jun 2005, 04:10 AM
I'm with Sel and Moon on this. Unreal was always a "fun" game to me. If I wanted to be "competetive" and play "tactically" I would have played more quake3.
One of the reasons 2k4 to me is less enjoyable in the "old" gamemodes (DM, CTF, TDM) is it's stress on competetiveness. They took out the ripper because it was "to noob and spammy" yet it was GOD DAMN FUN to play with and one of the things that made it stand out from other fps games.

They need to re-institute stuff like that.

NeoNite
9th Jun 2005, 04:23 AM
reload feature, limited weapon carrying ability...

If that ever gets part of the UT games, and it never will, hopefully.. I won't give a damn about any future UT title anymore. It can go to hell as far as I'm care...

Oh, the pure horror :-/

Oakwarrior
9th Jun 2005, 04:48 AM
Unreal Tournament is no Black Hawk Down where you have 3 weapons. NO INVENTORY SYSTEM! And F the reloading thing.

FireCrack
9th Jun 2005, 06:34 PM
As i said in my previous post reloading is a game balance mechanism. To add realoads you'd totaly have to redo everything else to keep the game fun.

Agent_5
9th Jun 2005, 07:42 PM
Speaking of E3 videos, where's all the goodies spiney was supposed to have from this years E3? All I see is the interview with Steve Polge. :(

Vedanth Salian
9th Jun 2005, 09:57 PM
Common guys lets abandon talking on the reload feature. Its getting lame with 'I dont want reload feature' without going into more specifics. See the main post (i.e post 1) and give your comments on other points I wrote about. The points are about other features seen in the G4TV E3 video.

BooGiTyBoY
9th Jun 2005, 10:09 PM
NO... RELOADS.... EVER!!!!

Dark Pulse
10th Jun 2005, 01:30 AM
Speaking of E3 videos, where's all the goodies spiney was supposed to have from this years E3? All I see is the interview with Steve Polge. :(
He lost it. We're not too happy about that. :(

edhe
10th Jun 2005, 02:28 AM
NO... RELOADS.... EVER!!!!
:tup:

NeoNite
10th Jun 2005, 07:53 AM
Common guys lets abandon talking on the reload feature. Its getting lame with 'I dont want reload feature' without going into more specifics.

You want specifics? ok.

RELOAD FEATURE WOULD BE VERY BORING FOR ANY UT GAME. VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY BORING.

Oakwarrior
10th Jun 2005, 08:06 AM
Think about yourself reloading while someone just got a fresh Rocket Launcher. Would you be happy?

BooGiTyBoY
10th Jun 2005, 02:24 PM
UT is a fast paced-game. Reloading takes away from that feeling tenfold. Nuff' said.

NeoNite
10th Jun 2005, 02:29 PM
The one weapon which reloads, the one I know about, is the automag from Unreal.
And to be quite honest, I hate it.

I play a lot of UT co-op. Unfortunately, most maps have the automag instead of the enforcer (although you can configure it in oldskool settings and replace the automag by the enforcer. Though online you'll hardly encounter that, and it probably wouldn't be such a good idea.. maybe not).

At least with the enforcer you can shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot and not worry about that irritating reloading feature.

Oakwarrior
10th Jun 2005, 02:57 PM
I hated Automag too. It just crap. You get it in the beginning and oh gosh... bang-bang-bang. oops, here we go again *pieces of flesh flying through the air*