PDA

View Full Version : Changeable WEATHER and TIME OF DAY ingame?

Bullet10k
4th Jun 2005, 02:06 PM
I think this would be a great addition. I mean like...being able to change the weather soo...You should be able to make it rain, make it cloudy, make it foggy, make it snow, make it bright and sunny, or make it a THUNDERSTORM/SNOWSTORM! and so on and so forth...

Also, you should be able to make it NIGHT/DAY/DAWN and make it so that you can shoot out the lights! Obviously, the lights should only be LIT at NIGHT, also dont go too far with this by making it possible for players to destroy the map to pitch black darkness (perhaps maybe put some invulnerable shielded lights or something to prevent this? OR make a device to see in the pitch black darkness). So you can choose to have a very stealthy game! (nono i dont mean nighttime so we'll be able to use our ugly brightskins and turn UT into a stealth game, I mean you CAN CHOOSE nighttime IF you want to have a stealthy match. If you want it as a normal intense bloody deathmatch where you can clearly see everything then you choose daytime! If you want a good hiding spot OCCASIONALLY you choose Dawn!). Also, make 'being able to shoot out lights' as an OPTION for the players that want to play a night match BUT with all of lights ON and indestructible. and so on and so forth....

I think this would make very good use of UE3's great lighting and give us more variety in each map.

One more thing, I obviously mean these things should all be changeable INGAME without going to the map editor and without making a new map. ALL INGAME! (like whats the whole point if its not ingame rite?)

Im not sure what to do about the indoor arena maps though (maybe this suggestion shouldnt apply to those indoor-arena/space/etc. maps). I know one thing you can do though... Im pretty sure almost all of the indoor arena maps have windows to look outside, just change that bit there ;) or something similar.

Is it possible? And what you think?

Vault
4th Jun 2005, 02:34 PM
sure. i mean it would matter to me

Discord
4th Jun 2005, 02:42 PM
Somebody made an actor for UT2k4 that sort of did this, but it just ended up making it rain or snow sporadically.

It would be a big job for mappers, having to rig up lighting schemes for both day and night, and also having to generate several skyboxes.

Aside from the work involved, I think all that is possible...

Bang Yr Head
4th Jun 2005, 03:14 PM
that would be incredibly ****ing awesome if you could change both. it would change the way you play on most maps. everytime it would be at least SLIGHTLY different. maybe only in certain maps would be limited to certain time/weather settings due to their theme and setting.

Angel_Mapper
4th Jun 2005, 03:51 PM
With 2k7's dynamic lighting it will definitely be possible, but I doubt Epic is going to waste their time with it.

Selerox
4th Jun 2005, 04:25 PM
It might be cool in CON/ONS, but it'd be a pain in the arse on DM/TCM/CTF. Not sure if day/night cycling would work really, it'd be a nightmare to end up playing in darkness. There's only so far you can go with weather. It's rain/cloud/sun really. Maybe you could stick wind in their, as long as it blew trees etc around realistically and not anything that matter to gameplay (weapon projectiles, fliers). Snow would be possible, but it wouldn't settle :)

Having said that, I can see it working if it was backed up with a specifically made map. Imagine a cityscape map, you'd have streelights, illuminated advertising signs (which light up as it gets dark) and the like. As you'd have bright characters and gunfire etc (as well as team beacons), it wouldn't massivly hurt gameplay either. Also, if it was an "active" city, then it'd be light enough anyway :) Maybe stick a "shoulderlight" mutator for maps like that, so that you at least get an active light source of your own.

Bullet10k
4th Jun 2005, 04:33 PM
With 2k7's dynamic lighting it will definitely be possible, but I doubt Epic is going to waste their time with it.
Why do you call it a waste of time? I doubt it will take too long and plus, it would be amazing.

Wowbagger
4th Jun 2005, 05:21 PM
I agree with Sel, Ons/Con could work maybe but not the other gametypes.
Well i guess you could have a map like DM-Rankin and let it rain outside or Sunrise, snowing etc. Stuff that wouldnt affect the playable areas of the map, that could work i guess.

4th Jun 2005, 05:23 PM
I hate bad lighting. It's BS when a player gets an advantage over another player just because he uses different gamma settings and such. Hiding in shadows isn't what ut is about. Being able to interact with the map is good. Crap lighting is bad. World effects and lighting shouldn't have any effect on gameplay.

carmatic
4th Jun 2005, 05:29 PM
http://www.humus.ca/index.php?page=3D&ID=51 assuming that whatever planet or world they are on, the sunlight or equivalent of it moves in a definite direction, then this will be perfect for those beautiful sunsets or equivalent where buildings cast long shadows etc etc

but on conquest, where its basically a match that lasts indefinitely, it would be cool to see like when you go in at a time that's daytime for the server, it'd be the same in-game...
as an extension, i wonder if you can stream skyboxes like you stream levels... someone whos dedicated to taking good pictures of the sky (like a metereological service or something) can continuously supply textures to a server, which then streams it to the clients, perhaps even changing some attributes like ambientbrightness colour...

to improve the aspect of the game that deals with differing weather, and perhaps seasons, on levels, i say that the lightmaps should be modular for each level, different lightmaps can be built for different times of days and seasons, and the rest of the map can stay exactly the same... imagine that, static lightmaps that are almost no longer static...

Bullet10k
4th Jun 2005, 05:40 PM
http://www.humus.ca/index.php?page=3D&ID=51 assuming that whatever planet or world they are on, the sunlight or equivalent of it moves in a definite direction, then this will be perfect for those beautiful sunsets or equivalent where buildings cast long shadows etc etc

but on conquest, where its basically a match that lasts indefinitely, it would be cool to see like when you go in at a time that's daytime for the server, it'd be the same in-game...
as an extension, i wonder if you can stream skyboxes like you stream levels... someone whos dedicated to taking good pictures of the sky (like a metereological service or something) can continuously supply textures to a server, which then streams it to the clients, perhaps even changing some attributes like ambientbrightness colour...

to improve the aspect of the game that deals with differing weather, and perhaps seasons, on levels, i say that the lightmaps should be modular for each level, different lightmaps can be built for different times of days and seasons, and the rest of the map can stay exactly the same... imagine that, static lightmaps that are almost no longer static...
You seem to say ITS POSSIBLE, so why'd you vote 'ITS NOT POSSIBLE'?

carmatic
4th Jun 2005, 05:52 PM
aauugghh!! you can see who voted for what? hoooww????

::edit:: uhhmm i meant to say, uhh... like, its not possible , if epic doesnt make it possible! thats right

Angel_Mapper
4th Jun 2005, 05:57 PM
Why do you call it a waste of time? I doubt it will take too long and plus, it would be amazing.I don't think it's a waste of time, but I don't think Epic is going to bother with it at this time.

Bullet10k
4th Jun 2005, 06:07 PM
aauugghh!! you can see who voted for what? hoooww????

::edit:: uhhmm i meant to say, uhh... like, its not possible , if epic doesnt make it possible! thats right:lol:

G.Lecter
4th Jun 2005, 06:19 PM
It's a good idea, but difficult to make...
I would like to see a city ONS/CON map in which the night is comes slowly and lots of lamps begin to switch on... and more lights inside the buildings switch on and off... :D

Selerox
4th Jun 2005, 07:16 PM
Well i guess you could have a map like DM-Rankin and let it rain outside or Sunrise, snowing etc. Stuff that wouldnt affect the playable areas of the map, that could work i guess.

Yeah, That would be a pretty nice feature IMO :)

TomWithTheWeather
4th Jun 2005, 08:44 PM

Yeah, it seems to be the type of feature that Epic wouldn't bother with because a third party licensee could do it easily if they needed it.

Mætlöaff
4th Jun 2005, 10:15 PM
I could see them doing it with maybe one or two maps, but it wouldn't be a central feature, just a neat visual effect that wouldn't affect gameplay that would be on a select few maps for atmosphere.

Taleweaver
5th Jun 2005, 09:07 AM
Where's the "I'm indifferent either way" option? I'm pretty sure Epic will have an option to turn off weather effect to make people more visible ...eeeehm, to save framerates... so that would nullify this option.

What's the meaning of the "it's impossible" option? Given enough time, it's certainly possible (as if computers couldn't handle the concept of changing weather/time). The point is...will it be interesting enough to add it to the game?

(Angelmapper even uses system times in her Tamearia (http://angelmapper.com/tamearia.htm) mod).

JaFO
5th Jun 2005, 11:51 AM
Changing the wheather at will has too much of an impact on the atmosphere of a map.
Imagine a desert-themed map and a server deciding it should be snowing ...

Maps that are set 'outside' could benefit from a day/night-cycle provided that 'night' is more like a 'full moon' kind of darkness and less like total darkness.

Of course that's ignoring the fact that alien planets might have multiple suns & moons.

Perhaps all we really need is mappers that can create more interesting skies instead of relying on one of the defaults as provided by Epic ...

carmatic
5th Jun 2005, 01:06 PM
Imagine a desert-themed map and a server deciding it should be snowing ...

uh , then make the 'snow' checkbox greyed-out?
plus with the environmental damage we have these days and in the future and what not, thats not an entire impossibility...
obviously , on alient planets and whatever, the weather conditions can be so harsh that deserts continuously change between icy wastelands and sandy deserts...

moonflyer
5th Jun 2005, 09:47 PM
it could be really amazing if a few maps of ut2k7 support time and weather changing
but im afraid it could be very tricky to tune the dynamic weather effects, including particles, materials and lighting, so i don't think epic will bother with this
but time changing looks like a bit easier, and with the techniques from the Reality engine(supporting time changing as i know), it's definitely possible

Wowbagger
6th Jun 2005, 04:52 AM
Since the lighting is much better in U3 it could be possible to do night and day.

What about a Conquest map where you not only fight over eachothers Tyridum(sp?) resources ,but at night, also eachothers generators.

If you lose youre generators your side of the map is dark during the night making it easy for the enemy to get in and hard to defend.

JaFO
6th Jun 2005, 06:50 AM
uh , then make the 'snow' checkbox greyed-out?
plus with the environmental damage we have these days and in the future and what not, thats not an entire impossibility...
obviously , on alient planets and whatever, the weather conditions can be so harsh that deserts continuously change between icy wastelands and sandy deserts...
Or they've got environmental controls and can make it rain or snow as easy as we can use lights ...
;)

I'd rather have weather have a real effect (ie : snow falling on the ground so you can see footsteps etc., rain forming puddles of water) instead of mere cosmetics.

EL BOURIKO
6th Jun 2005, 11:23 AM
Or they've got environmental controls and can make it rain or snow as easy as we can use lights ...
;)

I'd rather have weather have a real effect (ie : snow falling on the ground so you can see footsteps etc., rain forming puddles of water) instead of mere cosmetics.

i agree, instead of cosmetic, I would prefer to have some tracks in the snow for instance, so this way you could track your opponent on big maps or fool them to trap them...
The same with water when you go from mud to dry places.
i am rather more interested in some effects that gives more tactical opportunities than providing just aesthetisc effects. For instance I would like to have a rising sun so I could be hidden by the bright light of the sun if I stand between the sun and my opponent. of course this sun would go higher and higher while we play.
i would be interested too if the topography of the terrain could change with the climate. We could imagine that an heavy rain at the beginning of the round brings some falls, pools and rivers at the end of the game. We could imagine that the cold would change lake in ice. The consequence would be that some vehicules would have to find some other ways to go from A to B or would get some new ways too. Of course all these things are very easy to write, but I am not a mapper and maybe all that is just an impossible crappy challenge... :(

carmatic
6th Jun 2005, 02:46 PM
naah, nothings an 'impossible crappy challenge' ... in ut2k4 there is already the water effect, in ut2k7 it will be much more improved... imagine, some kind of 'melting ice actor' or something, to deal with how a lake will thaw from ice to water, like first the ice cracks up to a few bits, then they melt and shrink until theres no ice left...

Nosnos
6th Jun 2005, 03:09 PM
as long as you can turn it off then sure ;)

Zur
6th Jun 2005, 03:41 PM
http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10116&highlight=night

Day and night mod/map ?

A long while back I went to this server where I'd notice that some maps would be dark after a certain hour. Is there a trick to do this ?

Dark Pulse
6th Jun 2005, 04:29 PM
I'd say make it, but not controllably. Like maybe you're fighting on a field, and if it goes on for awhile, it starts to darken and cloud up. If it keeps going, it starts to drizzle, then rain, then pour. If it's a REALLY epic battle, Thunderstorms.

Controllable by the mapper only. Not by players ingame. :p

JaFO
7th Jun 2005, 02:46 AM
I think it should be a mapper-only effect. With the serverside only having minimal control within the parameters set by the mapper.

EL BOURIKO
7th Jun 2005, 03:58 AM
I think it should be a mapper-only effect. With the serverside only having minimal control within the parameters set by the mapper.

if the EPIC mappers ever take a look at the weather and weather´s effects on the gameplay, then it should be decided ONLY by the mappers if these effects should occur or not.
Nothing should be turned ON or OFF by the players so everyone play on the same "options"s and that s the way it s fair

edhe
7th Jun 2005, 04:31 AM
Didn't angel_mapper have a time-related scriptage thing on the go?

Angel_Mapper
7th Jun 2005, 04:54 AM
I cheated, Tamearia loads up one of four maps depending on the time of day, and changes the map when the computer's clock moves into the next time period. Lots and lots of saving positions and rotations into an ini file. :lol:

shadow_dragon
7th Jun 2005, 01:01 PM
It's doable, Stalker will do it when it's released for example.

i think it's a nice idea but probably best implement on maps designed for it. Not make it so it's doable on all maps forcing all maps to adhere to it. Make it a cool gimmick rather than a ruling factor. If that makes sense. :)

carmatic
7th Jun 2005, 06:01 PM
I cheated, Tamearia loads up one of four maps depending on the time of day, and changes the map when the computer's clock moves into the next time period. Lots and lots of saving positions and rotations into an ini file. :lol:

no offense, angel, but when i first saw shawna , i thougth she was supposed to be a lion cub...

anyway, i think the method where multiple lightmaps are rendered for one level is a good idea...

Xaero_UT
7th Jun 2005, 08:54 PM
It might be cool in CON/ONS, but it'd be a pain in the arse on DM/TCM/CTF. Not sure if day/night cycling would work really, it'd be a nightmare to end up playing in darkness. There's only so far you can go with weather. It's rain/cloud/sun really. Maybe you could stick wind in their, as long as it blew trees etc around realistically and not anything that matter to gameplay (weapon projectiles, fliers). Snow would be possible, but it wouldn't settle :)

Having said that, I can see it working if it was backed up with a specifically made map. Imagine a cityscape map, you'd have streelights, illuminated advertising signs (which light up as it gets dark) and the like. As you'd have bright characters and gunfire etc (as well as team beacons), it wouldn't massivly hurt gameplay either. Also, if it was an "active" city, then it'd be light enough anyway :) Maybe stick a "shoulderlight" mutator for maps like that, so that you at least get an active light source of your own.

YES finally a use for the headlights on the damn vehicles, all the possible situations wasted cause the headlights dont do ****...

Angel_Mapper
7th Jun 2005, 09:59 PM
no offense, angel, but when i first saw shawna , i thougth she was supposed to be a lion cub...

anyway, i think the method where multiple lightmaps are rendered for one level is a good idea...I never said I was a professional character modeller.

MäxX
8th Jun 2005, 10:21 AM
changing conditions would be cool, but it should be not complety unrealistic (2x day - 1x night within half an hour). I think this would affect weather more than day/night :)

but cool idea

Trueblood
8th Jun 2005, 11:54 AM
Dont forget its a game and time exists outside of the computer :lol:
but sudden down-pour or strong blasts of wind that effect rocket smoke would be a nice touch without killing graphics too much.

gregori
8th Jun 2005, 02:03 PM
imagine how alive a ons alien -world would look it the sky changed colour troughout the day, the cloud cover moved and changed, intense wind blew and rustled the trees, the moon and the stars appeared at night, and you can hear the sound of night animals and insects at night and the cry of a bird in the sky at day , or if a storm starts and causes lightning bolts to hit pointy parts of your base,

i reckon it be diffcult but feasible all the same, Ut2k4 was missing worlds that felt alive, mostly because the maps feel like static meshes and look kind of like aerobord!
i reckon in anyway ut2007 need a good rain effect(no one can do this yet!) and a hell of a blizzard effect, possibly the effect of wet ground/concrete would work wonders for DM Rankin

NeoNite
8th Jun 2005, 02:29 PM
It would be cool, if you were in a level like ..say.. dm-morpheus. And you could experience an actual "sunrise". The level should load at the start of the sunrise.

And it would depend on how much you'd like playing the map, the longer you do the more you'd be able to enjoy the effect of a sunrise. (Though it shouldn't be that realistic, that it actually times it as in real life.)

Though it would be wise to keep an eye on your opponents as well ;O)

gregori
8th Jun 2005, 02:35 PM
It be mad on morpheus if the sun caused burning glare on the reflective window panes,
or their was a hazy morning mist on dm albatross, followed by torrential rain at night,
or if ons artic began to thaw leaving shiny wet ground and puddles everywhere,

gregori
5th Jul 2005, 12:45 PM
Apparently, enemy territory:quake wars , will have night/day cycles!

BITE_ME
8th Jul 2005, 11:13 AM
Ever played a game thats raining, and your standing next too a metal roofed building. You go deaf. :(
And. If I shoot a light thats over your head in real life. You would get glass in your eyes. But in video games, you never get hurt by the glass. That sucks.:( EPIC Please fix!

gregori
23rd Aug 2005, 04:28 PM
The reality engine has dynamic night/day cycles as a feature, Epic has bought out the reality engine and employed its creator, therefore Unreal Engine 3.0 could have this built in feature, as could ut2007!

http://www.artificialstudios.com/features.php

Neophoenix
23rd Aug 2005, 08:52 PM
I think this would be the best thing that Epic could do to bring in players. Just imagine the pop of lights warming up and coming on as the sky gets dark. Being able to destroy the main lighting, to get that eerie Doom3 "holy **** what will happen next" feel. And the best part it would be server side selective, so everyone would be happy. And if you don't like how the server has the options you could go to one that has the settings you desire. That’s a grade "A" idea dude :D :tup:.

Rask
26th Aug 2005, 03:24 PM
MarZer already made this for 2k4...

Linky;

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=408310

Still a beta, but it works.

Swerto
26th Aug 2005, 03:29 PM
Now if i got a penny for everyone who wanted this and every time they asked... i would be the richest man on earth.... and whoever says it's impossible is retarted

Ignotium
27th Aug 2005, 12:58 PM
Now if i got a penny for everyone who wanted this and every time they asked... i would be the richest man on earth.... and whoever says it's impossible is retarted
True