PDA

View Full Version : Teh FEET!!!

BooGiTyBoY
1st Jun 2005, 10:10 PM
Nothing major.. but it would be pretty cool to look down and see your legs/feet. People have talked about this before and there was always some naysayer with 10,000 reasons why it couldn't be done. Yet I just installed GORE (which I got like 2 years ago for $9) and lo' and behold... it does just this very thing. Not only does it.. but does it pretty well considering it's an ass-old game.

>>>>Check it out<<<< (http://www.jumpinjuggernuts.com/downloads/gorefeet.avi)

Xaero_UT
1st Jun 2005, 10:29 PM
Nothing major.. but it would be pretty cool to look down and see your legs/feet. People have talked about this before and there was always some naysayer with 10,000 reasons why it couldn't be done. Yet I just installed GORE (which I got like 2 years ago for $9) and lo' and behold... it does just this very thing. Not only does it.. but does it pretty well considering it's an ass-old game.

>>>>Check it out<<<< (http://www.jumpinjuggernuts.com/downloads/gorefeet.avi)

it will be the death of elitist players, they're dodging and jumping..all of a sudden they look down and say "jeez look at the size of my feet, their huge!" and stare at their feet for 30 mins, :rolleyes:

next mods will be out for customizable shoes :lol:

honestly, its a bit of a waste of effort dont u think?

edit: why discriminate, why not teh Hands!!!!!, then i can play and see my hands, and maybe even wave!, ah but then the elitist player thing comes into play, especially stoned teenagers, "look at the size of my hands, they're huge"

"they can touch everything but themselves......oh wait...." :lol:

FireCrack
1st Jun 2005, 10:45 PM
Nah, becasue it's hard to get them to sync up nicely with animations.

BooGiTyBoY
1st Jun 2005, 10:59 PM
Well I figured Epic was trying their best to make a game that noone will be able to run on a current system anyways... so why not take the extra "steps" (sorry that was bad) to make more completely useless eyecandy.

Xaero_UT
1st Jun 2005, 11:03 PM
so why not take the extra "steps" .

[insert generic two drums and a symbol noise, accomponied with most 'zingers']

i actually laughed.. :lol:

what i wouldnt mind seeing, is the detail on other characters im fighting, such as, armour detail, "tails for creatures with.....", etc.

edit: while not the greatest thread, i say kudos to BooGiTyBoY (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/member.php?u=20082) for coming up with these threads for discussing the game, and getting quality 'stuff' out of it..

cheers dude

discreet
2nd Jun 2005, 12:42 AM
halo 2 has it, can't see why it couldn't be done

Xaero_UT
2nd Jun 2005, 01:02 AM
halo 2 has it, can't see why it couldn't be done

where not arguing that it COULD be done, but whether it SHOULD be done,
while it can probably easily be implemented, whats the point, no one in any gametype is gonna stare at their feet as they run..

things can be easily added to the game, but the argument is that its mostly unimportant, and while a programmer could do it in a snap of their fingers, it wont be used therefore........

FireCrack
2nd Jun 2005, 01:08 AM
I think it reealy breaks immersion.

Xaero_UT
2nd Jun 2005, 01:23 AM
O/T

I think 64 would just be way too laggy...

And dammit Xaero... when i see your posts I keep thinking it's briach. :p

sorry :p,

they're awesome, my favourite is negative trends 1, but he's using it :lol:

i apologise for 'stealing' it, to briachie and other j2 members, and if he starts using it again, i wont have it as mine

T2A`
2nd Jun 2005, 01:29 AM
Halo 2 does it because Halo 2 is a pile of stinking n00b crap. All you can do is run and jump. There's too much complex movement possibilities in this game to try to sync foot movement into it. Think about what happens when you dodge off a wall. You're in the air completely vertical, then you character is instantly doing a flip (if you use the right characters). How would having feet on your screen go from below you to beside your head and then rotate around your head improve immersion? Keep in mind that your field of view doesn't rotate when you flip. Not only that, but many of the characters move differently, so that's hundreds of more animations they have to do for no real reason. Having legs/feet in this game is a horrible idea.

empty_other
2nd Jun 2005, 01:50 AM
Not only that, but many of the characters move differently, so that's hundreds of more animations they have to do for no real reason. Having legs/feet in this game is a horrible idea.

Eh...More animation? No, just fasten your camera to the headbone, and make your own head invisible in first person, while the rest of the body visible...

But you have a point when it comes to dodging and the flips...Maybe make it optional, for those who can take a rotating screen every time they do a backwards walldodge (or a duckdodge[one of my other threads]).

For i want it...They had it in Thief 3. Made me feel more in "first person" and not just a flying camera emulating something close to human movement.

NeoNite
2nd Jun 2005, 08:55 AM
It would be a nice extra, but I'd hardly enable it as it would probably be more of a burden than a blessing...so to speak.
Those feet, legs would obstruct your view in UT2007, like turns2ashes pointed out.

SharKTanK
2nd Jun 2005, 09:05 AM
What I really want is the flying-dismembered-head view that you get when someone pulls a headshot on you.

It's always funny to sit back and go "ooh! ahh!... Just a little bit further over the-..... *plop* Yes!" as you wonder whether your head will actually make it to that slime pit before it comes to a rolling bloody stop. :D

carmatic
2nd Jun 2005, 11:54 AM
see, like, in real life when you look down,you move your head so that your feet wont get in the way, you'll sort of lean over forwards ...
so when you look down in-game, all you should see is kind of the tip of your feet that would take up half the lower screen if you look straight down, and they act as the marker from which you cant look down further...most of the time you wont see them, and when you do see them its merely because you are not going to look through them anyway

and yeah, i wish theyd tie the camera to the ragdoll when you die, because its crap when it snaps out of your view to show your ragdoll.... like as in you can see your chest etc if the ragdoll curls inwards, or if you are hit by a manta and your head is flying all over the place, then so too should the camera ....

in fact if someone headshots you, and you no longer have a head, the camera would then pan towards the direction of your attacker, so you know where he is

Vault
2nd Jun 2005, 12:29 PM
i dont like the "look down see feet" cause then.. how would you shoot down, and do hat tricks? but.... i thin hands would be fine.. i mean, why not?

gregori
2nd Jun 2005, 12:33 PM
On an slightly different matter, i think the arms of your character should be holding the wepon you have in 1st person, for example, if your a necris, necris hans are holding your weapon, if your a robot, robot hands are holding you weapon, if your a skaarj, skaarj claws are holding your weapon! and so on

Xipher
2nd Jun 2005, 01:03 PM
Yea, and what about custom models? What about custom weapons? The problem is you have to figure out some way of rendering this stuff, in a way that can be done while not being overly complicated. That, and when your actually holding a weapon at chest height you normally don't even see your hands any way, and except when you look down, you don't see much of the weapon, don't really see a problem with the way it is now.

gregori
2nd Jun 2005, 01:21 PM
It doesnt constitute a problem, in ut99 you can see your arms holding a weapon
in ut2kx like quake3 you cant see your hands, in ut99 what were holding weapon wasn't character specfic

solution, give every character a mesh for their arms in first person, give those arms bones, and make the weapons an attachment to those bones so you can get any character to hold any weapon without having to make a new mesh for each race if you want a new weapon!

Olga
2nd Jun 2005, 03:46 PM
As gregori said, just make arm meshes for the player models and have them attach to the weapon in a realistic way.

Xipher
2nd Jun 2005, 03:48 PM
Thats exactly what I was thinking, just wasn't sure if its possible (don't do much modding)

Olga
2nd Jun 2005, 06:03 PM
Perfect Dark did this actually, if I recall. In fact a lot of console shooters have arms like that.

Raden
2nd Jun 2005, 06:43 PM
so why not take the extra "steps" (sorry that was bad) to make more completely useless eyecandy.

http://ua.beyondunreal.com/staff/nem/smilies/rimshot.gif

Dark Pulse
2nd Jun 2005, 08:38 PM
What I really want is the flying-dismembered-head view that you get when someone pulls a headshot on you.

It's always funny to sit back and go "ooh! ahh!... Just a little bit further over the-..... *plop* Yes!" as you wonder whether your head will actually make it to that slime pit before it comes to a rolling bloody stop. :D
Yeah, I missed that. I remember seeing videos of ProjectUT pulling it off - bloody shame it only got one beta out.

[SHADOW|force]
3rd Jun 2005, 06:52 AM
I still dont get why you want to see your arms and legs in the game... wtf for? You always have the possibility to look at your custom legs by looking under the table. ;)

Slainchild
3rd Jun 2005, 06:56 AM
I don't mind them adding legs and/or arms. As long as I can turn them off of course. :D

Twisted Metal
3rd Jun 2005, 12:51 PM
I want peripheral vision, depth of field, and I want to be able to see my nose if I cross my eyes in game.

Halo 2 had a funny bug where if you walk into this certain wall/block, your legs would detach from your body and continue walking, while the upper half of your torso remained still against the wall. :D

Bloodwolf806
3rd Jun 2005, 02:50 PM
Yes, I've always wondered why in most FPS you look down and cannot see your feet...

carmatic
3rd Jun 2005, 02:57 PM
maybe on the games where you can see your feet, its there for a reason... like you have to navigate thin ledges or something and you have to see where you put your character's feet or else you'll fall off

gregori
3rd Jun 2005, 03:01 PM
to avoid shooting youself in the foot!,same way nothing you do in an FPS could be done in real life because its crazy! I think the feet could be done but i'm not sure it's nessicary,
i think in heated battle and when doing IH jumps people would just get frustrated with this feature, it belongs more too a single player adventure FPS

They could do that thing in AvP were if you went too close to a wall you drew your gun towards yourself to show you were right up against the wall

BooGiTyBoY
3rd Jun 2005, 03:21 PM
maybe on the games where you can see your feet, its there for a reason... like you have to navigate thin ledges or something and you have to see where you put your character's feet or else you'll fall off

Thats one major reason why i would like to see it. You'd be able to guage landings and whatnot so much easier. Plus I don't see how it could interfere with your aim and you can't aim that low anyways...
Even when jumping from a height and aiming "straight down" you are still at a small angle.

I also think it would make hammer-jumping and the like eaiser as you could guage your floor angle much better with a point of reference like your feet.

Think of how much easier it would be to headcrush someone, hehe.

Just an opinion... also consider this is coming from mainly a trickjumper's point of view :D

gregori
3rd Jun 2005, 03:47 PM
How much damage does headcrushing someone do?

BooGiTyBoY
3rd Jun 2005, 03:49 PM
8 damage max
All the time
no matter how high you fall from.

They REALLY need to fix that.

gregori
3rd Jun 2005, 03:57 PM
Damn, it's been always my idea that juggernauts should be able to pancake people since they're built like a truck!

see like that mad jump thing the Hulk could do in that mostly avoidable movie,breaking the ground and all!

NeoNite
3rd Jun 2005, 07:25 PM
Headcrusing... that's "stomping" you're talking about, right...

I should check how much damage it does in UT. It's fun trying to stomp someone.

Or a stupid monster, for that matter.

BooGiTyBoY
3rd Jun 2005, 08:32 PM
Headcrushing titans/warlords in 2k4 Invasion is toppest!

Growler
4th Jun 2005, 06:10 AM
in fact if someone headshots you, and you no longer have a head, the camera would then pan towards the direction of your attacker, so you know where he is

:lol: if someone headshots you, you won't be able to see anything to look at the guy who shot you - you'd be dead! (until you respawn)

i dont like the "look down see feet" cause then.. how would you shoot down, and do hat tricks? but.... i thin hands would be fine.. i mean, why not?

"OW! I've just shot my foot!! Where did that come from? oh..." *carries on through the level limping and bleeding to death* - now there's an idea! taking limbs off other players eg. their arm, so they would have to use their other arm to fire with

carmatic
4th Jun 2005, 08:45 AM
nah that would not be in the spirit of ut2k4... it should be about being as fit as you can be up until you die , at which point you go out with a big 'aaauugghh' ...

right now, if you crouch you cant fall off a ledge or something, but like if you have to take advantage of the angles of the surfaces that your standing on , it would be nice to have a cue like seeing how your characters legs meet the surface, then doing aerial tricks with an impact hammer or whatnot... when your in mid air, and your character is supposedly doing flips etc , the legs can just retract out of view and show again when your character lands...

Death Cube K
4th Jun 2005, 12:48 PM
8 damage max
All the time
no matter how high you fall from.

Maybe I can jump off something higher next time? I fairly certain the tower in Torlan would be the only thing left though.

BooGiTyBoY
4th Jun 2005, 02:26 PM
Naw it caps at 8 :(

What we do have to find out though is if jumping from a higher point will shield boost you higher :D

Death Cube K
4th Jun 2005, 02:39 PM
Naw it caps at 8 :(

What we do have to find out though is if jumping from a higher point will shield boost you higher :D

ZOOMJ, Teh Ultimate Human Pogo Projekt is GO!!1

Raden
5th Jun 2005, 03:15 PM
So they give you all sorts of weapons to fight with, and you all want to jump on each others heads.

Almost five years here and I still don't understand any of you. :p

carmatic
5th Jun 2005, 04:05 PM
what do you mean you can shield boost higher if you fall from a higher place?ive never really used the shield gun before...

Death Cube K
5th Jun 2005, 06:08 PM
what do you mean you can shield boost higher if you fall from a higher place?

Oh, what that means, is if you fall from a higher place, you can be shield boosted higher then normal.

BooGiTyBoY
5th Jun 2005, 07:29 PM
We think.... hasn't been tested yet :D

So they give you all sorts of weapons to fight with, and you all want to jump on each others heads.

Almost five years here and I still don't understand any of you. :p

A ninja's best weapon is his own body :D.

Besides.. nothing is more satisfying than killing someone with teh super-mario.

-AEnubis-
6th Jun 2005, 02:34 AM
That SG boost thing won't work, because you'd be reversing your momentum...

Really, it'd only be useful (self model render) if we got some different melee involved. I dig the idea, and wanna say I thought of other reasons to do it, but can't remember now.

JK][ had this patched in. They made it so you could do 1st person saber fights, because in Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, they had a problem with syncing up the way it animated in first person, and the way it actually hit, so when the Qengine adopted JK, they made it 3rd person saber only, until a late patch, where basically, they left your model rendered as 3rd person, but as someone here suggested, placed the POV inside your own head. I think it was handled slightly differently though, because your body didn't "animate" around you when you did flips and such. Don't know the full details, but it worked great for that game.

People may bitch about it though if they actually shoot from where there gun is held in that scenario... Like that whole shock combo problem in 2k3. Non-centered shaft, and all that non-sense.

Mętlöaff
6th Jun 2005, 02:40 AM
I would love to have the model's hands show up on the gun. It would add a lot of depth. Sure, it'd be a lot of work, but it'd be well worth it.

Unfortunately, from what I've seen so far they're sticking with no hands.

EL BOURIKO
6th Jun 2005, 03:03 AM
I wonder how nice, weird or ugly it would be if they show the feet.
IMO, it s kind of difficult to get a nice result

HoZ
6th Jun 2005, 01:18 PM
Nah, becasue it's hard to get them to sync up nicely with animations.

Halo 2 did it

Mętlöaff
7th Jun 2005, 12:01 AM
I dunno, Halo2 feet look a bit goofy to me, always have. It's like there's you, floating disembodied head, and then there's some random legs and feet beneath you. Don't quite connect.

EL BOURIKO
7th Jun 2005, 01:12 AM
from a designer's point of view, I think that it will just give some weird or ugly results on the screen if you try to see your feet in FPS but of course, I may be wrong too...
IMO only way to see your feet, if you really want to see them (but I don t think that it is such a big deal that deserves such a thread) it is to switch to behind view :S :(

shadow_dragon
7th Jun 2005, 12:09 PM
Seeing your feet in an FPS has been done many many times before. in fact i think i remember a game, dino hunt, or dino crisis or... certainly something involving dinosaurs, wher eyou could look down and see your own cleavage.... (Possibly the most disconcerting thing i've ever done.) It had a tattoo of a heart which served as your health bar.
Also i remember Blood used to have a camera fixed to the head view where, when you died and your head was shot off, you'd get a decapitated heads eye view... which was funny especially as the enemy could play football with it.
Halo only has teh feet view because it doesn't have half as many characters that you can play. It 'd double the work for UT i'm sure.

In UT though? Well then you'd have the problem of having to animate all your first person aniamtions and third person aniamtions as the same. That is to say all third person animations would remain in such a way that in first person you could still aim your damn gun. During backflips and dodges this isn't exactly possible. At the moment the animations often involve the characters flinging his arms all over the place this couldn't be done with heads eye view. Especially as a backflip for example would have your character facing the wrong wayf or the majority of the dodge, thus disadvantaging any dodgers. (Use monkey matrix moves, or whatever it's called now, if you must have such views!)

Either that or have different playermodels for third and first person but as said before this also means more animations.

Being able to tie third person and first person animations into one so you can look down and see yourself is kinda neat. At the moment you can pick a skin ro character and not notice one difference at all, the only time you know who you are is when you get killed or use behind view. But then you also have to consider that third/first person camera views tied into one would also give advantages to people of different hieghts, etc animations would have to remain extremely generic at all times to make sure your gun remained aimed and accurate. (Or it'd look stupid)

I can see why it'd be nice but i think it could also break it. It'd be interesting if someone wrote a mod for UT2k4 that simply changed the cam view to the head of the model so we could experience what it could potentially be like?

Xaero_UT
7th Jun 2005, 08:25 PM
In UT though? Well then you'd have the problem of having to animate all your first person aniamtions and third person aniamtions as the same. That is to say all third person animations would remain in such a way that in first person you could still aim your damn gun. During backflips and dodges this isn't exactly possible. At the moment the animations often involve the characters flinging his arms all over the place this couldn't be done with heads eye view. Especially as a backflip for example would have your character facing the wrong wayf or the majority of the dodge, thus disadvantaging any dodgers. (Use monkey matrix moves, or whatever it's called now, if you must have such views!)

Either that or have different playermodels for third and first person but as said before this also means more animations.

Being able to tie third person and first person animations into one so you can look down and see yourself is kinda neat. At the moment you can pick a skin ro character and not notice one difference at all, the only time you know who you are is when you get killed or use behind view. But then you also have to consider that third/first person camera views tied into one would also give advantages to people of different hieghts, etc animations would have to remain extremely generic at all times to make sure your gun remained aimed and accurate. (Or it'd look stupid)

I can see why it'd be nice but i think it could also break it. It'd be interesting if someone wrote a mod for UT2k4 that simply changed the cam view to the head of the model so we could experience what it could potentially be like?

wd shadow_dragon.....wd.. :D

makes my posts look amatuerish... :lol: still ur helping my point, with teh proper lingo involved..
doing all the dodges and jumps, and the head following ud probably end up shooting urself more than another player..and it would support teh run and bunny hop flak primary shoot tactic.. :D

Oakwarrior
8th Jun 2005, 02:54 AM
I agree with shadow_dragon. Seeing yourself in another viewmode would be great. Juggernauts would see their big-punkass armor. You should see your arms, chest, feet. It would give a nicer feel. It should be a third viewmode.

Doikor
8th Jun 2005, 01:03 PM
Nah i dont want feet to be shown. I mean how do i do a shock combo from above (in mid-air) then? :D

gregori
8th Jun 2005, 02:29 PM
If they do the feet, and body armour, it could definetly add to the immersion factor, make mellee much more effective and diverse, make your charater choice matter and so on and so forth, once they make it look brillinant, not too legs handing underneath you some how! it probaby means they'd have to have your characterics race specific, including race based ablilties, robot with a robot hud, skaarj with skaarj like hunting vison and so on.......................

ultimately if this feature ruins the gameplay, it can be done without!

Growler
8th Jun 2005, 02:44 PM
you can actually see feet in UT2004 - I think you press F4 (spectating) when someone's in a Manta [switches to FPS]; look down, and you can see their feet

Black_Seeds
8th Jun 2005, 03:25 PM
Halo 2 did it

Halo 2 dusnt have dodgejumps or double jumps or wall jumps etc.

Renegade Retard
8th Jun 2005, 04:24 PM
I also think it would make hammer-jumping and the like eaiser as you could guage your floor angle much better with a point of reference like your feet.

Now see, you're opening a can of worms right there. It will either be "OMG! I just shot my foot with the hammer and I took no damage! Where's the realism" or it would be "OMG! I'm trying to do meh uber 1337 hammer jump and my feet got in the way! Stupid Epic taking hammer jumping away!"

Then, in response, Epic releases a patch that will make the feet smaller so that they'll be out of the way. Then we'd here "OMG! My feet are so small! My mommy told me I have a big wee-wee for such a little boy, so my feet should be big too! OMG! How could Epic do this to me?!?"

see, like, in real life when you look down,you move your head so that your feet wont get in the way.....

Your feet are going to be on the ground. Your HEAD is there to move you around! So, stand in the place where you are! :rolleyes:

Now......face North.

BooGiTyBoY
8th Jun 2005, 05:02 PM
Think about direction, wonder why we have it now...