PDA

View Full Version : UT2k7 is taking heavily from Chaos UT!

Mętlöaff
31st May 2005, 08:56 PM
Think about it.

Hoverboard.

With a grappling hook attached to it.

The Canister gun seems a lot like CUT proxy launcher/grenade launcher.

Possible deployable Turrets.

Heck, even in UC2 there's similarities. The biorifle blobs jump after people much like Chaos' trademark smilies of doom.

I'm not saying I'm not looking forward to it, but I just hope there isn't enought in the game to warrant a mention in the credits to CD.

:rolleyes:

shadow_dragon
31st May 2005, 09:21 PM
Lol! ALL of those ideas are common FPS cliche's and i doubt ChaosUT could claim credit for them if they tried.

cole_bie
31st May 2005, 09:50 PM
ChaosUT is a great mod, I would rather UT2007 take ideas from ChaosUT then a crappy game.

gregori
31st May 2005, 09:51 PM
Except the fact that Epic blatantly pinched melee combat from chaos ut as it did with the idea of sentient proxy mines in the form of bio rifle globs!

Olga
31st May 2005, 09:59 PM
Think about it.

Hoverboard.

With a grappling hook attached to it.

The Canister gun seems a lot like CUT proxy launcher/grenade launcher.

Possible deployable Turrets.

Heck, even in UC2 there's similarities. The biorifle blobs jump after people much like Chaos' trademark smilies of doom.

I'm not saying I'm not looking forward to it, but I just hope there isn't enought in the game to warrant a mention in the credits to CD.

:rolleyes:1. Tribes/Back to the Future
2. Quake
3. Unreal II
4. Unreal II/Doom 3
5. UT2004 (Spider Mines)

jb
31st May 2005, 10:27 PM
1. Tribes/Back to the Future
2. Quake
3. Unreal II
4. Unreal II/Doom 3
5. UT2004 (Spider Mines)

Granted a lot of stuff is borrowed now days. However Chaos first started way back as a Quake2 mod and predates even UT itself and somethings showed up there before they had showed up in other retail games.

Majik
31st May 2005, 10:40 PM
Well, it's no secret that Epic get a lot of their ideas from the community. Just look at bombing run, a very good example (I forgot the name of the UT mod counterpart, NeoNite?).

Olga
31st May 2005, 10:49 PM
There was FragBall and also BoomBall, I think they based it off both more than anything.

Majik
31st May 2005, 10:51 PM
Ah yes, FragBall was the one I was refering to. Never heard of BoomBall though.

Olga
31st May 2005, 10:55 PM
BoomBall puts a warhead in the middle of the map and you have to basically take it to the enemy flag and it explodes.

Mętlöaff
1st Jun 2005, 01:31 AM
1. Tribes/Back to the Future
2. Quake
3. Unreal II
4. Unreal II/Doom 3
5. UT2004 (Spider Mines)
Chaos has been around long before U2, D3, and UT2k4. Chaos UT with the grenade launcher has been around before U2 to the best of my knowledge, and way before doom 3. The first time I've ever seen intelligent mines was in the form of Chaos Proxies in Q2. Not sure about Tribes, though, you may have me there.

My point still stands; sure, some of the ideas are generic clichéd FPS ideas, but the fact that all of them come together in UT2k7 seems a bit much.

BooGiTyBoY
1st Jun 2005, 01:49 AM
1st Grappling hook = Bionic Commando on NES :D

Mętlöaff
1st Jun 2005, 02:11 AM
Ah yes, I remember that game well.

I'm sure those weren't the only parts that were extendable...

krjal
1st Jun 2005, 09:05 AM
:eek:

The_Head
1st Jun 2005, 10:13 AM
Grappling hook .... hmm
Ninja rope in worms!

I got no problems with them taking everything out of ChaosUT. that mod has always been one of the best

jb
1st Jun 2005, 09:25 PM
And just to clear this up, I dont have a problem with any of this and how it happens. Weather or not any of it is true, to me at least its a nice compliment to see the same idea we had used in professional game. Kind of makes us think we had the right idea at one time :)

FireCrack
1st Jun 2005, 09:44 PM
They're all preety vauge anyways.

TomWithTheWeather
1st Jun 2005, 10:28 PM
Lol, keep it up and you guys might start sounding like Doc_Edo. :lol:

Nemephosis
1st Jun 2005, 10:51 PM
Because every single thought and idea in the world is unique, isn't it.

God, this is starting to sound like MaxSmoke from U4E here. Ideas get pinched. Two people come up with the exact same thing. It happens.

W0RF
2nd Jun 2005, 06:27 AM
Except the fact that Epic blatantly pinched melee combat from chaos ut as it did with the idea of sentient proxy mines in the form of bio rifle globs!
um... they did? Cause I seem to remember most fps games going back to Wolfenstein 3D having a melee weapon available to the player.
Lol, keep it up and you guys might start sounding like Doc_Edo.
Do you smell something? I smell something. Smells kinda like a burn to me :D

KirinRiotCrash
2nd Jun 2005, 08:57 AM
jb: We'll just have to fill in whatever blanks Epic leaves open should we ever head on to UT2007, right? ;)

Mętlöaff
3rd Jun 2005, 01:57 AM
Because every single thought and idea in the world is unique, isn't it.

God, this is starting to sound like MaxSmoke from U4E here. Ideas get pinched. Two people come up with the exact same thing. It happens.
All I'm saying is that it looks like Epic was at least inspired by Chaos.

There seems like a bit many ideas used to just be two people coming up with the same idea coincidentally. Epic seems to look at the mod scene a lot, and for them to not look at ChaosUT would be very silly, as it was in the MSUC.

I'm sure the end product will be most excellent, but I thought I'd point it out. It seems to me like Chaos is rubbing off a bit on Epic :rolleyes: .