PDA

View Full Version : sound?

gregori
31st May 2005, 12:59 PM
What should be done with sounds in ut2007?
A new sound engine?
New effects/distortion?
amped up sounds?

Vault
31st May 2005, 01:57 PM
i think the shock combo should have a more distorted sound... like its ripping the space-time continuem. the enforces should sound like a magnum pistol shooting at enforcer speed. The stinger should sound like a tie fighter shooting at stinger speed. the bio rifle should sound more "gooie". The grenade should be a lot louder with a better explosion effect. The spider mines should have a better explosion effect. Better RL explosions. AVRIL effect just plain suck, they should just sart from scratch there. Shock Rifle (not including the shock combo) i have no gripes about. The goliath should have good sounds when it moves, those thing must have huge engines. better vehicle souns all around

Radiosity
31st May 2005, 02:58 PM
They just need to rewrite every single sound related piece of code, and generally make it sound good. 2K4's sound sucks ass badly as it is, 2K7 needs go back to the UT days of in-your-face sound FX.

gregori
31st May 2005, 04:18 PM
I'm very much n favour of the idea that the sound should be more audible and play a bigger role in the design of the game.

for example, i think if you fighting in a large cave or a in desert valley, their should an definite echo(like ctf eternal caves ut99)

definetly what you walk on and fire at should effect the sound it makes whether metal,concrete,wood,iron corrugation,marble or stone,grass mud or water!

Underwater , all sounds should be distorted appropiately, infact this should go with a visual refraction effect!

if you are fighting in a vent/tunnel, it should sound like a vent/tunnel,
appropiate background noises for different enviroments are impotant wether city forest or windy thundra

Radiosity
31st May 2005, 05:11 PM
for example, i think if you fighting in a large cave or a in desert valley, their should an definite echo(like ctf eternal caves ut99)

Underwater , all sounds should be distorted appropiately, infact this should go with a visual refraction effect!

You realise this is all possible now? It's just that lazy-ass mappers can't be bothered to learn the tools fully. You can add a whole buttload of cool EAX sound FX to maps as it is, but I haven't seen a single example of anyone (even epic) actually using this. Which is a shame because it really brings a map to life more. To date, I think I am about the only person that has used EAX in a map, and that's depressing. Check it out if you like:

http://www.radiant-studios.net/files/details.php?file=22

Enable EAX 3d audio, then start shooting :) Be sure to head under the main central structures in the water - the muffled superbass while underwater really is quite beefy and nice :D

gregori
31st May 2005, 05:39 PM
i think you hit nail on the head with ut2kx maps,
it was the lack of sound effects that robbed them of atmosphere
and ultimately made them seem lifeless!
A effect i'd be interested in seeing implemented is that when non-breakable glass is hit it makes a distorted warping pinging sound, kind of like in the matrix possibly followed by a similar visual warping of the glass!

another thing that would be amazing is if your in a building with a corrugated iron roof,
you can here the rain pelting off it or enemy troops running on top of it,

also a similar thing for people runinng across metal grates and platforms!

Vault
31st May 2005, 10:36 PM
nice stuff gregori! there really want muc hrain in this Ut was there? Rankins is the only maps i remember that had any rain (although, you only knew is you looked out the window)