Just a personal preference :)
Pads > Lifts

What do you think?

Bloodwolf806
30th May 2005, 02:50 PM
Just a personal preference :)
Pads > Lifts

What do you think?

More Jumpads, but I BETTER be getting some toast with that...

Vault
30th May 2005, 02:51 PM
mmmmmm toast....... i voted for "both"

The_Head
30th May 2005, 03:03 PM
Boogity - Who needs jumppads?? you gotta Shieldgun!

BooGiTyBoY
30th May 2005, 03:04 PM
How else will I shock pad/combo jump? ;)

The_Head
30th May 2005, 03:07 PM
ooooo
Nice...

Do you litrally mean Shieldjump as you hit the pad? or if you sheildjump of something else in mid air?

Hydrus
30th May 2005, 03:11 PM
Ack Noe

Q3 JP > Ut JP > Lifts. I want more golden circles o goodness :)

BooGiTyBoY
30th May 2005, 03:39 PM
:stupid:

No head.. i mean when you are heading down towards a jumppad you shoot out a shock ball. You combo the shot just as you are about to hit the pad itself. It launches you higher than the pad normally does. :)
It is teh uber-fun.

Here's what I mean: Shock Jump in BLH-Training (http://www.jumpinjuggernuts.com/downloads/sjump.avi)

G.Lecter
30th May 2005, 03:46 PM
Nothing is better than lifts when you can make liftjumps with them. :D
However, jumpads, if they are well placed, make the action much faster, and your team does not have to jump on them at the same time as you... :lol:
It also depends on the theme of each map, lifts are sometimes better, and pads are OK other times... I think both are necessary... :rolleyes:

No head.. i mean when you are heading down towards a jumppad you shoot out a shock ball. You combo the shot just as you are about to hit the pad itself. It launches you bout 2-3 times higher than the pad normally does.
It is teh uber-fun.
OMG... I must try this... :D

Taleweaver
30th May 2005, 03:51 PM
Is this poll serious? Both jump pads and lifts have unique elements, so you can't just keep one and get rid of the other.

-lifts have the lift jump
-jump pads have (apparently) the shock pad/combo jump
-in a pursuit, you can get rid of your opponent with a lift, not with a jump pad
-lifts always go straight up/down (even though they are movers and can be set anyway the mapper likes), jump pads can throw people aside as well
-...and then there's still the appearance of the thing. Can you imagine a jump pad in an ancient Oriental map? It's worse enough with these hitech Egyptian thingies in some maps (eg. Goldendawn)

BooGiTyBoY
30th May 2005, 03:57 PM
Yeah it's a serious poll. I'd like to see more jumpads in maps. I have lots of problems with lifts. Half the time they slow down the action of the map, they are sometimes horribly timed (how many times have you been fragged waiting for the thing to actually move), they have horrible collision on them (meaning half the time your shots go through them, half the time they are stopped), it's annoying as hell when you get thrown under one from someones splash, and I have numerous other beefs with them. :)

Just asking what people's preferences are is all. :D

Far as appearance goes, jumppads don't always have to be big circular/square glowing patches. In an oriental map, why couldn't you have a fallen gong or something as the pad? Rune did a great job of using alternate looking jumppads (pieces of skin stretched across wooden frames, gongs, etc.) which all fit into the maps theme.
(Oh and I give much love to GoldenDawn!)

Majik
30th May 2005, 04:12 PM
I voted jumppads. I don't know why, I don't hate lifts, but there's just something so much more pleasing about being launched up in the air by a jumppad. Actually, come to think of it, I guess it's the freedom you're given when you're airborn. :)

I also like how you're able to drop of a high ledge, aiming for the pad, and once you hit it you're instantly launched across the room without taking any damage.

The_Head
30th May 2005, 04:29 PM
No head.. i mean when you are heading down towards a jumppad you shoot out a shock ball. You combo the shot just as you are about to hit the pad itself. It launches you higher than the pad normally does. :)
It is teh uber-fun.

Nice. I will have to give that one a go :D

gregori
30th May 2005, 06:55 PM
in a word more wind tunnels/ warps
jump pad are done a little better in quake 3,
their something so unexplainably pleasing about using the jump pads in that game,
fot that matter, their should be also more of those ramp like jump pads

edhe
30th May 2005, 07:13 PM
both have their places - it's up to the map makers to consider flow - jump pads can be good but lifts can also save yer butt depends on preference... as always.

gregori
30th May 2005, 07:19 PM
you have to have both of course!

Kantham
30th May 2005, 07:34 PM
Damn , sure need my toast with that , in teh month and half on the side *drool*

Discord
30th May 2005, 08:15 PM
Jumppads are more fun, but you have a little more control/ more options when using a lift. They've both got their place, I reckon.

gades
31st May 2005, 10:08 PM
Jumpads are kinda fun, though without a shieldgun, you're gonna be quite vulnerable now.
:cool:

EL BOURIKO
1st Jun 2005, 01:48 AM
I wish that they could also come with horizontal jump pads so they become boost pads (sonic style). In fact I would prefered that instead of translocators.
I wish that some areas will be designed only for the shield gun "monkey" jumpers. Otherwise what s the point in this skill if it does not give you an advantage?
And would really like to see 1 or 2 spots (with some bonus of course) that could only be reached with either a double shield gun jump (very few players know this trick) or a backward shield gun jump.

BooGiTyBoY
1st Jun 2005, 01:51 AM
You mean hammer jump in 2k7 ;) hehe.

EL BOURIKO
1st Jun 2005, 02:43 AM
You mean hammer jump in 2k7 ;) hehe.

hammer jump, my mistake :S

Black_Seeds
1st Jun 2005, 03:17 AM
Hammer + Jumper = HaJer, New name! :P

BooGiTyBoY
1st Jun 2005, 04:40 AM
I like "Humper" better. :lol:

Nosnos
1st Jun 2005, 06:23 AM
A good mix is always best... the good thing about lifts are ofc that you can do liftjumps, you arent as predictable as you are when you use a jumppad... jumppads are fun though even if they were better in UT2003 when you could do walljumps and get that major boost ^^ but anyways, I just dont want them to add jumppads for the sake of having jumppads, if they fit the gameplay add them, if not the use something else ^^

EL BOURIKO
1st Jun 2005, 08:01 AM
I wonder if this could be an interesting jump pad idea or just a crappy stuff:
we could maybe have some jumpad which brightness would change in a kind of flashing style. Very bright , it will send you very high, not bright it will send you just some few meters high. it could maybe make sense in some maps where different floors could be reached with only one jumpad, and so timing would have to be considered if you want to go exactly where you wish.