PDA

View Full Version : Space Conquest

Vault
30th May 2005, 01:28 PM
you guys like Star Wars right? well imagine big Star Wars like battles in Conquest.

It would be like every other Conquest game except your in space fighters. You'd start in a base get in a fighter, and take over all the other bunkers etc. But of course, when you enter a bunker you'll have to get out the fighter and fight on foot.

and no it wouldnt be a new gametype, just maps

BooGiTyBoY
30th May 2005, 02:16 PM
I think AS-Mothership is one of UT2004's most hated maps. The spaceship combat just doesn't work in my opinion in a game of this nature. I don't see how they could make it much better.

Vault
30th May 2005, 02:27 PM
really? i love the fighters in there....

but im sure Epic could make it better... with new space vehicles... tie fighters maybe? no.. but..

Bloodwolf806
30th May 2005, 02:40 PM
Vader and Boba Fett>ALL

that being said, yes, AS-Mothership isn't that great. I'm sure there will be a conquest map set in a space station of some sort, and while attacking, maybe you have to board a ship and fly to the enemys space station. (That would be cool)

Tie Fighter? custom models my friend. :)

Vault
30th May 2005, 02:44 PM
Bloodwolf, thats what i said earlier, about the flying to other stations

Bloodwolf806
30th May 2005, 02:53 PM
Bloodwolf, thats what i said earlier, about the flying to other stations

I find your lack of faith disturbing..

:instagib:

Black_Seeds
30th May 2005, 03:01 PM
you guys like Star Wars right? well imagine big Star Wars like battles in Conquest.

www.ut2004troopers.com

For all your Star Wars and star fighting needs :)

gregori
30th May 2005, 03:55 PM
Mothership was impressive for the game they built it on top of,
That was epics first crack at that type of gameplay,

I'd say they could do it again but make the gamplay much improved, with more variety of vehicles and missions, Perhaps it would make interesting conquest maps, or ons maps___________

Like craft fighting for control of a number deathstar like platforms in space on robot mining asteroid clusters,

stuff like that would rock!

Vault
30th May 2005, 03:59 PM
I find your lack of faith disturbing..

:instagib:

i was just saying that what you said was what i had based the whole idea on

carmatic
30th May 2005, 04:09 PM
well they could make the space combat parts less simmy and more raptor-like (dont change the mouse sensitivity) , and put proper vehicular physics into it , and stop using pseudo-projectile weapons for the spaceships, for a start...

then they can start using proper bases, not just teleports into spacefighters... as in you can see people taking off and stuff ...then they can start to have more than one base or point of entry, and have a realistic arrangement in space of the level, i.e. shield generators an onslaught map from each other , with a shield between them and the defenders spawn under that shield

maybe, they can even have a long ascension flight, literally from the surface of the planet , onto one floating enemy base after another, eventually leading to the mothership in space... unreal always had a penchance for z-axis gameplay and maybe this will be a glamorous form

Bullet10k
30th May 2005, 04:16 PM
I thought Conquest would mean the death to like a space-oriented map. I hope not. But i kind of not see how it would work, i mean...Its gotta be HUGGGE and you gotta be like capturing points. Hopefully theyll figure out a good way so we can have a space oriented map.

What could you be capturing?

Bloodwolf806
30th May 2005, 04:21 PM
different space stations. the final objective is to capture the mothership of the enemy team.

gregori
30th May 2005, 04:33 PM
Conquest would be ideal for doing a proper space map, asteroid field or a robot battle moon would be great theme, Epic never really showed liandri doing very much futuristic mining. You could even have land vehicles doing ridiculous jump in zero gravity, imagine the the goliath flying across a map crashing into a building and totaling it! Think that scene in armageddon with the buggies on the asteroid and you will know what I mean!

carmatic
30th May 2005, 04:39 PM
yeh low gravity is the good

but i dont think that the format of the game is likely to allow gravity to be manipulated like in an asteroid field or something , plus humans arent adapted to live in an asteroid field environment so our brains cant cope with the idea of moving around on asteroids with gravity... more likely it will be like that xmp map where its nothing but asteroids between the bases, which nobody liked to play but hopefully with map-sized asteroids where you can drive vehicles and do armageddon style jumps, the conquest space battles wouldnt be so dissapointing...

gregori
30th May 2005, 04:59 PM
With the physic their pushing in UE3 these things wont be a problem, it could work quite well, any body remeber playing as the alien in AVP, that where you could move on any surface, that wasn't to taxing on the players mind!

one thing i hope is that when firing weapons like rocket launchers in low gravity you can use the kickback to steer youself in mid air,

carmatic
30th May 2005, 05:05 PM
naah, the rockets are self propelled, they dont transfer momentum to the player that much

you need something that gets all the push from the gun alone, like the flak cannon or something...

better yet you can fire strapped rockets from special locations on the map that will pull you along in front of you or something, that will be cool

gregori
30th May 2005, 06:23 PM
Try firing a rocket in space and see what happens? Interesting Hmmmmmm!
See the launcher in UT doesn't have much of an exhaust so if projectiles were launched from it, self propelled of not, they would impart a massive amount of momentum on the launcher(stupid newtonian physics!) and therefore the person, another example of this being why you wouldn't want to be underneath a shuttle launch or behind a jet engine!

though point is taken on the strapped rockets and the flak cannon which both would work out pretty rocking!

carmatic
30th May 2005, 06:26 PM
hm i thought there was an opening or something on the rocket launcher but oh well

gregori
30th May 2005, 06:32 PM
well even in that case and the physics don't work for it they should give the rocket launcher that ability in anyway strictly for gameplay reasons, I ratehr liked the rocket physics in quake 3 for example.

Vault
30th May 2005, 10:26 PM
maybe make the space maps instagib skock rifle only?

carmatic
31st May 2005, 05:09 AM
in space, nobody can hear you scream

Vault
31st May 2005, 09:42 AM
really? i ws up there last night, and i heard a very lound sreech

gregori
31st May 2005, 11:58 AM
That would be ears going pop as your body adjusted to zero pressure, also your body promptly exploded across the unverse as it was torn part by the vacuum! ah well

Vault
31st May 2005, 12:01 PM
hey, your right! that did happen. Luckly, i respawned

gregori
31st May 2005, 12:32 PM
well thank be to god for morally depraved technology that plucks peoples from the brink of death and reconstitutes their body parts,those scientist what can't those guys not do?

Vault
31st May 2005, 12:37 PM
make a person from scratch

gregori
31st May 2005, 12:41 PM
Frankenstein eh? ah they're working on it!

Vault
31st May 2005, 12:51 PM
no... from srath..

the monster in Frankenstein was made from the remains of humans.... (the scientist..Frankenstein.. dug up pasrt from remains in the graveyard.. stiched them together and brought it to life) i read the book.. there are so many things average people have wrong about the story... in fact the monser had no name.. and the author never reveals how the monster was brought to life.. the scientists name was in fact Frankenstein.. he made the monster in a college dorm room.. not a castle.. the scientist had no assistent at all.. and he wasnt crazy.... the monster was intelligent, and learned to speak, read and write..... he didnt ravage villages, but instead killed off Frankensteins family after Frankenstein refused to make a wife for him (Frankenstein was so appauled by the uglieness of the monster that he couldnt bring himself to it) the monster was very emotion with strong feelings of loniness, sadness and anger because his creator had abandoned him.....

well now ive gone rampant.. better stop now

dont read this book btw.... it is sooooooo boring, dont just dont

gregori
31st May 2005, 12:56 PM
yeah while that maybe true i referenced the book mostly for laugh! ah well
Dracula however is a good book, irish author and all!
Ah there will always be robots made from scratch even they can only avoid obstacles!
and maybe even zombie-robots, bright future ay!

Vault
31st May 2005, 12:58 PM
Vampire-Zombie-Robots as character for UT2007... i love it!

gregori
31st May 2005, 01:01 PM
Indeed! we're a bit off topic of space conquest at this stage though!

Vault
31st May 2005, 01:32 PM
in my own thread too.....

Sir_Brizz
31st May 2005, 02:05 PM
:Poop:

If Mothership had played like FreeSpace 2 and had been more about the space combat than the inside combat, it would have been fun.

8-4-7-2
31st May 2005, 02:12 PM
Mothership has weird flight physics. You can rotate around, but it all feel more like an airborne jet than a shipship.
And the combat is very simple and distanced. I never got the feeling of a real dogfight. It's more like "steer spaceship in the general direction of the enemy according to radar and fire randomly"

If they fix that, a space based map can work

gregori
31st May 2005, 04:21 PM
true, they hadn't really cracked space flight in that map in the first attempt!
maybe they'll crack it this time, it would definetly have its place in the unreal universe!

carmatic
1st Jun 2005, 08:16 AM
yeah in mothership, the outer space parts felt abit out of place, while the indoors battle was very simplistic and insufficient, and its so hard to get used to normal sensitivity again when the mouse moved your view so slowly in the spaceships

but if you go into an instant action onslaught round, stop time by typing 'playersonly' (i think) in the console , spawn a spacefighter, get in, and fly around, the target box on your hud actually tells you what vehicle you locked onto, and the missiles are one shot kills for everything that they hit... but the spacefighter itself is tiny tho

Sir_Brizz
1st Jun 2005, 08:27 AM
its so hard to get used to normal sensitivity again when the mouse moved your view so slowly in the spaceships
Are you sure you were playing the same map as me? One of the things I disliked was how you could whip the ship all around. It makes the missiles almost worthless.

Vault
1st Jun 2005, 08:31 AM
did you speed up at all?

empty_other
2nd Jun 2005, 01:33 AM
Hey, what about a starfighter battle in a grand "Grand Canyon" type of map. Think "Independence Day", Will Smith vs Evil Aliens. They should really add some physics to the spaceships (like if you do a 180 turn, you will keep sliding and almost come to an halt before you start jetting forward, and if you boost your engine at that moment, it will be quite a stress to your fighters hull), but do not add gravity to it, or any restriction to what direction it can face, even when on ground.

carmatic
2nd Jun 2005, 03:39 AM
yeh i was sure that the view turned slowly when i was in a spacefighter compared to normal... what do you mean if i speed up at all?

gregori
2nd Jun 2005, 12:13 PM
THere an accelerator on the space craft, but not by much...

A fight against a mother ship in the sky above a huge city, with craft weaving in between buildings could work!

carmatic
3rd Jun 2005, 08:28 AM
yeah but that will be like z-axis gameplay and can be disorientating... you'll likely have to fly straight up, aim straight up, and shoot straight up, unless the fighters behave like they do in space and not like raptors so you can fly in loops and not have to be centered vertically...