PDA

View Full Version : UT2007: DM/TDM: which maps to keep, which maps to drop?

EL BOURIKO
30th May 2005, 11:46 AM
in my opinion, the new UT2007 should keep in its map list these following DM/TDM maps:

1) Rankin (*) 6) Irondeity
2) Deck 7) Osiris (***)
3) Phobos 8) Antalus (****)
4) Goliath (**) 9) Compressed
5) Asbestos 10) Rrajigar

And I would not be sad if these following maps do not appear in the next UT2007:

1) Gestalt 6) Plunge
2) Icetomb 7) Junkyard
3) Training day 8) Rustatorium
4) Sulphur 7) Injector
5) Gael 10) Grendelkeep

(*) RANKIN: i would add a big keg of health in the little tunnel on the very top of the lift. This would surely spice up the tactic in rankin.
(**) GOLIATH: I wonder if a kind of tight tunnel ,instead of a translocator between the redeemer room and the flack room, could be an interesting option. I would even put an ion painter in the middle of this tunnel then :D
(***) OSIRIS: I d like to have an ion painter in the link gun room or on the roof
(****) ANTALUS: i would move the redeemer on the very top of the cliff instead of where it stands now. you would have to lift jump and then shield gun jump to get it. That would really be a deserved super weapon then.

Final note: in a general way, i would like to have this kind of positions for the big items like super shield/big keg of health/super weapons:
- the first 33% of them are located in places that everyone can reach
- the next 33% of them are located in places that average and good players can reach
- and the last 33% of them are located in places that mostly good players can reach
this way, you always try to improve your moves so after a while you can access more and more bonus/super weapons

hal
30th May 2005, 12:14 PM
in my opinion, the new UT2007 should keep in its map list these following DM/TDM maps:

I think most people are hoping for all new maps. You know you'll get 8,000 remakes of popular older maps anyways.

Having said that, I think you have to look at who the developer is behind each map in your list, and I am assuming that you can all but count out any Digital Extremes map remakes. Here's what you've got:

1) Rankin - Epic contracted
2) Deck - Epic
3) Phobos - Epic
4) Goliath - Digital Extremes
5) Asbestos - Epic
6) Irondeity - Epic (but why?)
7) Osiris - Digital Extremes
8) Antalus - Digital Extremes
9) Compressed - Digital Extremes
10) Rrajigar - Epic contracted

Dunno why you don't like Grendelkeep - other than perhaps because it is way overplayed. It's a terrific DM and CTF map.

Vault
30th May 2005, 12:23 PM
i say keep every map, and a whole lot more

Majik
30th May 2005, 01:26 PM
More remakes = less originals, that's just common sense as they'll have less time (and space) for the original maps. 10 remakes, and only for one gametype, is waaay too much.

Besides, Steve Polge has already commented on what the amount of stock maps is likely to be and said it would probably be nearer to the amount included in the original UT.

The_Head
30th May 2005, 01:42 PM

I think many people would like more maps in the game. But you obviously dont realise the amount of time it takes to make a map. Even in UT99 it would take Hours. UT2003/4 takes weeks to make something worthwhile..... just look at pics of UT3 and imagine how long it would take....

G.Lecter
30th May 2005, 01:43 PM
- These are my favourite retail maps which they should be in the new game... :)
DM-Rankin, DM-Deck17, DM-Compressed
DM-Antalus, DM-Corrugation, DM-Morpheus, DM-Sulphur
DM-1on1-Spirit, DM-1on1-Trite
DM-Gael
- I think custom maps are even better than official ones, the game would definitely rock with these ones... :D
DM-Fractionary, DM-Achilles, DM-Goose (by Soma)
DM-Darius, DM-TheOnion (by Luv_Studd)
DM-Ougaldwin (by GecKoo)
DM-Reconstruct (by Angel_Mapper)
DM-1on1-Nagem, DM-1on1-Krono, DM-1on1-Meitak (by Neoduck)
DM-1on1-Alpu (by Tonnberry)
- The game should also have these CTFs:
CTF-Betrayal (by Unicorn), CTF-Aithanarid (by Saka), CTF-Aquatica (by Sjosz)
CTF-FaceClassic

gregori
30th May 2005, 05:05 PM
make a fresh start with ut2007 and port over none of the old maps, only have new ones,
if epic is that good it will be able to do such quality maps that people will easily overlook the old ones not being there!

JaFO
30th May 2005, 05:17 PM
Kill them all and let them build a bunch of fresh maps.
The one thing I hope for is that there's more themes (like UT used to have) and (player-triggered) traps make a welcome return.

Bullet10k
30th May 2005, 06:07 PM
Realize that a lot of the maps that do not appear in UT2007 from UT2004 will be made by some mappers... So spend more time on making NEW ones. O ya and i heard somewhere that theres only going to be ~50 maps. IMO that should be bumped up to 60 so then we could have 15 for each gametype which is fair. Dont go too far thought cuz "Quality>quantity" :D .

gregori
30th May 2005, 07:30 PM
If epic shipped it with only 20 maps i would be perfectly happy once each of those maps was an absolute jem, ridiculously outstanding maps! In 2k4 they shipped with hundred or so maps and i can't remeber half of them! most of them were sh#t infact! quality not quantity______________________

on the other hand, i woulddn't seeing a the lava giant in UT2007 but with Scorpion buggies this time!

m&ms
30th May 2005, 07:43 PM
Drop them all but have an included UED feature to import the 2k4 maps. That way the community can have all the old maps the day the game comes out, but also allows for some customization. Tweaks will obviously be needed with the different movement and weapons.

gregori
30th May 2005, 08:23 PM
that feature won't really work,
though it will be much easier to import ut2k4 maps into ut2007 than it was to import ut99 maps in ut2k4(same tech basically in ut2007, static meshes,materials,volumes,terrain)

utw-Mephisto
30th May 2005, 08:37 PM
Plunge is a big NO NO ... horrible map ....

{RA}SKYFURNACE
30th May 2005, 09:32 PM
even if epic made either exact copies or inspirations of any maps from the past series, there will still be people who make their own copies....

just like theirr will be people who make giant bedroom maps, Thorns versions, andaction versions.... romra.... hall of giants... etc.

Id prefer new maps, i stopped playing ut2k3 due to the map remake, giant box room maps that are huge online that everyone loves. I did those in UT. I have no desire to play them in the new series.

Bot_40
30th May 2005, 11:08 PM
Best map imo by far in UT2k4 is rankin and I hope even that isn't ported across simply because the layout is far too suited for UT2k4 movement (ie jumping all over the place over gigantic gaps).
If the movement is being toned down back to ut99 style (like they keep saying) then hopefully they will make a fresh batch of brand new maps which are much tighter and more like the good ol' days :)
(and deck can go back to being a boring 30 min walk down an overstretched corridor :p)

One map I would like to see return is Curse. That map absolutely owned in UT though for UT2k4 it was clearly waaay too tight. I think a good meter of how sucessfull epic are in UT2k7 is if they manage to make curse fun again :p

gregori
31st May 2005, 12:41 PM
no curse was good in both ut99 and 2k4,
in 2k4 it's one of the only maps that is tight, no stupid large spaces or places to run!

strangly enough plung never bothered me too much, that map has it's charms
ah well!,
hopefull all new maps though

gades
31st May 2005, 10:57 PM
I hope Ironic, Rankin, Liandri (ut99) and Zeto (ut99) make it.
:cool:

Artman40
11th Jun 2005, 07:19 AM
I want DM-Synapse returning from UT99, because it's one of the best deathmatch maps.

Black_Seeds
11th Jun 2005, 08:02 AM
I think most people are hoping for all new maps. You know you'll get 8,000 remakes of popular older maps anyways.

Its that exact reason that I hope there is an official one. So that everyone will use the same map and i wont have to donwload 40/50 deck remakes.

T2A`
11th Jun 2005, 07:14 PM
I'd rather have new maps, but if Epic is going to be making all the maps, we're totally screwed and they'll all suck, so it really doesn't matter at this point.

blutspender
12th Jun 2005, 06:56 AM
I wanna see DM-Legacy from UC2 (it's a remake from the Ut99's DM-Pyramid, but many things are different)

reeee
15th Jun 2005, 10:58 AM
Hal,

what you have told me, i think, is that the best tdm maps [disregarding deck 17] stand a good chance of not being included in the new game when it is released in 8 years. that kinda sucks, it will take a little bit for mappers to remake goliath, osi, and ant. at least there is always deck.

vote for roughinery though :)

and the keg in rank...it would unbalance things i think, the keg that close to the amp would not go over well and it would really take out the need to go into that little death halway where the 100 is.

re

Ryans_Privates
15th Jun 2005, 02:13 PM

Ya what he said! :D