Strange mini SD problem...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Pikeman

Also known as Howski
Nov 20, 2001
Caerphilly, Wales
Visit site
Right I've just had a really strange problem with my mini SD card and my SPV C500. I use my phone as an MP3 player so I got a 256MB card about 2 weeks ago. I had problems with the mini SD adaptor and my original card reader, so I tranfered a load of MP3s over to the card via active sync (very slow). right everythings fine so far. Ok so today I decided to change the MP3s on there so using my new (tested) card reader, everything tranfered fine. After putting the card in the phone and booting up I get "card cannot be read do you wish to format?" So I said yes, thinking I'll just re transfer the MP3s. Now my card says it only has 123MB of free space..... even if you try and re-formate it using windows it only allows you to select 123MB. Where has the other space gone? Dose anyone know of a way to format it back to 256? Is the card screwed?
Cheers
-how.

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
You can format it back to 256, just fiddle around it's not hard. You might want to remember how to format it (I used to have a memory stick that had to be formatted to FAT instead of FAT32 for example). Also, you might want to do a clean format every time you put new stuff on that SD card. Just some experience I've had :hmm:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I could only make some wild guesses about what happened but maybe I can help to get the lost space back. When the card is in your cardreader:
Right click on My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management
How does it say there?

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
OK, I hoped for something else. There goes my theory. What I noticed is that your 124MB partition is an extended partition. My (not mini) 1GB SD card has a primary partition. I don't know if that makes any difference though. I know that for usb sticks at least some manufacturers provide utilitys to e.g. restore the sticks if they get inaccessible. Maybe that's also the case for SD cards. A quick search didn't find annything for my card (Transcend) but maybe you have more luck. :hmm: