Geforce2 or voodoo5

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Foxpaw

This Spot For Rent
Hmmm... the jury's still out for me. The Voodoo5 provides better framerates at high resolutions than the GeForce2 (which I like), although the GeForce2 provides higher framerates at lower resolutions. Both have FSAA, but I believe 3dfx's is better (not sure about this). Then there's T&L. Not many games support T&L right now, but soon there will probably be a lot that do. It's a tough call, really! In the end I think I'd probably end up with the GeForce2, but it's a tough choice!

bullet2.gif

a.k.a. [CMi]El_Phantasmo

"Yeah! I'm down-drifting slowly
Going close enough to the sky
New world gone slay the devil
Can you show me a better way to die?"
-- El Phantasmo and the Chicken Run Blast-O-Rama/White Zombie

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :)

Do a search forums.. me and Redbeard have gone back and forth on this thing more than I'd like to admit.

It's already been beaten to death - as has the Q3 vs UT thing.

bullet2.gif

Map Reviewer for Capture

Foxpaw

This Spot For Rent
Ahhh, so *that*'s what RedBeard was talking about in his post earlier today.

bullet2.gif

a.k.a. [CMi]El_Phantasmo

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
Rooster, if you don't want this to happen, add the following to the FAQ or make a whole new FAQ concerning where posts should go and what you just shouldn't post.

No Q3A vs. UT posts
No 3Dfx vs. GeForce posts

3Dfx r0x0rs!

bullet2.gif

The66thDopefish
a.k.a. The Dopefish
QuickICQ: 70291071

"What's the most dumbest creature in the universe? Why, of course, the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal. It's so stupid that it thinks if you can't see it, it can't see you. One way to avoid the BugBlatter Beast is to throw a towel over your head."

"So that's why when I talk to one person on IRC we dominate the conversation!"

"Rooster, you are a lava ****er. =)"

"Well, spank my *** and call me Jennifer Love Hewitt (please)!" =)

"A white man in Compton is like a priest in a brothel: he knows he shouldn't be there, and you damn well know he should get out soon!"

Foxpaw

This Spot For Rent
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Rooster, if you don't want this to happen, add the following to the FAQ or make a whole new FAQ concerning where posts should go and what you just shouldn't post.

No Q3A vs. UT posts
No 3Dfx vs. GeForce posts<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't think it would help that much, as I'm sure a lot of people won't read the FAQ before posting. Although it couldn't hurt.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>3Dfx r0x0rs!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Couldn't help but throw in your $0.02 eh? ;)

bullet2.gif

a.k.a. [CMi]El_Phantasmo

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
GeForce 2 definately. The card is capable of hosting up to 128mb RAM. The first sets will ship with 32mb, with 64mb versions in a month or two. With a 1.6Gtexel fillrate, compared to the V5 6000's 1.4Gtexel, the 32mb GeForce on paper is faster than the 6000 (but I doubt they will really keep up). The cards with more RAM will be even faster.

The V5's will have higher framerates in UT (even the 5500 will be able to beat the GTS). But that's only because UT is optimized for Glide. In the majority of games in the future the GeForce 2 will be able to blow away the V5's (or at least the 5500's). With the ability to have 128mb and the V5's absence of T&L the GeForce 2 is a clear winner.

[This message has been edited by Clayeth054 (edited 05-04-2000).]

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
Foxpaw...no it couldn't hurt. But there are a lot of things that we could change about this forum that probably won't happen.

bullet2.gif

The66thDopefish
a.k.a. The Dopefish
QuickICQ: 70291071

"What's the most dumbest creature in the universe? Why, of course, the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal. It's so stupid that it thinks if you can't see it, it can't see you. One way to avoid the BugBlatter Beast is to throw a towel over your head."

"So that's why when I talk to one person on IRC we dominate the conversation!"

"Rooster, you are a lava ****er. =)"

"Well, spank my *** and call me Jennifer Love Hewitt (please)!" =)

"A white man in Compton is like a priest in a brothel: he knows he shouldn't be there, and you damn well know he should get out soon!"

[PuF]WarDogg

Jan 18, 2000
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
Visit site
Yes i can feel the power of a geforce2 it would most likely be the winner but you can say that this is an even match-up
This year i'm gonna get a voodoo5 5000 or better but i'm not sure you know there r gonna be better video cards..
this post will help me a little
and does any PuF'er noe the prices of these 2 video cards and plz note that there is vd5 5000, vd5 5500 and vd5 6000..i done a little resaerch on voodoo5 go to www.3dfx.com and www.3dfxgamers.com

bullet2.gif

Medic!
-[PuF]WarDogg out COLD-

maxrevs

May 4, 2000
Mallow,Co.Cork,Ireland
Visit site
Will the New Voodoo 5 be able to take advantage of the textures that came on the extra CD that came with UT? I've seen some screenshots with these textures used and they were breathtaking. or maybe it was that hot flak had ventilated my chest cavity lol

bullet2.gif

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no Evil , for The meanest motherf**kers in the valley,Are on my team...

titanus

Mr. Flak Smiley
Mar 23, 2000
Singapore, Malaysia
Visit site
I think it is not possible for V5 to use the compressed texture.. Only the Savage cards can do that :(

Regardless, I stick with V5 5500..hopefully it doesn't disappoint

bullet2.gif

" Repeat after me...I'll never, ever take on a god again." - Rugal B.

titanus

Mr. Flak Smiley
Mar 23, 2000
Singapore, Malaysia
Visit site
I think it is not possible for V5 to use the compressed texture.. Only the Savage cards can do that :(

Regardless, I stick with V5 5500..hopefully it doesn't disappoint

bullet2.gif

" Repeat after me...I'll never, ever take on a god again." - Rugal B.

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
The prices will differ depending on features/company but here's the projected prices

GeForce2:
32mb: $275-$325
64mb: $340-$380
more than 64mb= $a lot$

Voodoo5
5500: $299.99
6000: $??????$

VaShooter

The Ol`e man is back
Jan 25, 2000
Chesapeake VA
Visit site
This is my personel opionion.
Your choice of VID card is dependent on the game or games you like to play most.
Yes on paper and in benchmarks the Gefroce Rocks. But look at the GAME benchmark they USE QIII. Yes I allready know a Geforce will rock the clock in QIII But I play "UT". Possibly the Geforce will run Ut in opengl possibly not. But UT was written for Glide so doesn`t it make sense to get the card made to run the game you play "MOST"....If I was a diehard Quaker there would be no decision naturally a Geforce.
Like Rooster said this topic has been beat to death and I know Red might disagree with me on what I have written here(no offense)But I truly believe it comes down to Game choice. And 1 other thing It has been stated that D3d has been taken just about as far as it can go(it was copied onto this forum a mth or so ago when we were all having the trouble with the d3d drivers after the 4.13 patch, and this was the designers talking)Yes they also said the improvements to come would be in the driver dept but that the platform was basically as advanced as they could take it. I am not trying to start a flame war I just wanted to give you all some food for thought. My V5 is already paid for I`m just waiting for them to start shipping.

bullet2.gif

He Shoots..He Scores..He gets shot in the back.
new ingame name VaShooter{PuF}

kamikaze9

Apr 29, 2000
Well the answer is very simple... if you're gonna play UT and only UT most of the time, get a Voodoo XXXX. Because everyone knows that the Unreal engine is Glide's b1tch.. and no one does Glide better than 3dfx.

If you are a more varied gamer, such as myself, I suggest going with any nVidia chipset, because D3D is gonna be the API of the future.

**Dammit, sorry for the edit, censoring sucks!!

Besides, I like 3dfx about as much as I like Microsoft :)

[This message has been edited by [KTSA]ManWhore (edited 05-05-2000).]

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
GeForce2:
32mb: $275-$325
64mb: $340-$380
more than 64mb= $a lot$

Voodoo5
5500: $299.99