Sky Mapping

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
A rotating skybox could be done in Unreal Engine 1 by setting the Physics of the SkyZoneInfo to PHYS_Rotating, and also setting the RotationRate. Those options are not available in Unreal Engine 2 I think, so I'm not sure if it is as easy as how it was done in UE1. Look in maps with a rotating skybox (CTF-FaceClassic comes to mind) to see how it was done there.

Killavirus

May 2, 2005
It done by attching the Satic mesh in your skybox to a mover,

You may also set a movement tag to your mesh and it will rotate so as well

soupiejr

Dec 30, 2005
Hi. Sorry to bring up an old topic. With this rotating skybox, can I put a sun on it too, that will produce sunlight? I'm very new to mapping and want to create a virtual world where day/night exists in almost real-time.

SlipStreams_65

User Titles are Useless.
Dec 29, 2005
Kingdom of boredom
Real Moving sunlight would utterly destroy the frame rate (dynamic lighting on every surface etc). Though you can always make a sphere with one half with a night sky and one half with a day sky and rotate it around slowly to give the illusion of rising sun.

Again look at the skybox in FaceClassic.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yes real time Lightning is not implementable. The only map i've seen using daytime/nightime trigger lights was a UT99 one. I've never seen someone able to do this with UT2004.

soupiejr

Dec 30, 2005
I'm not sure about this, but what if I started the map with a specific setting, for example, start the map with the sun at 4pm, and it will put the sunlight there, but the sunlight won't move? I'll create a sphere, with half of it being daytime, and the other half being nighttime?

By the way, where do I get FaceClassic?

Thanks for the help guys!

soupiejr

Dec 30, 2005
What if I start the map with an argument from the command-line, and tell it to display a sun at a specific time of the day, for example, 4pm, and programmatically set the skybox to be at a defined place? That way, the skybox doesn't have to rotate while the map is running, and I still get to define whether I want to play the map during the daytime or the nighttime...