Danged Upgrades!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Ruiner

Masterful
Sucks to be you dude.. He he j/k.. It seems we have a love / hate relationship with our modern machines. Love em' when they work.. HATE em' when they dont.. Good luck.. - R

bullet2.gif

"Set the controls for the heart of the Sun." -R Waters

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
I just spent a whack of cash to upgrade my computer just so I can play UT that little bit better.

1) I had to re-install all the drivers. There's still a couple of unidentified items.

2) I ordered 256megs RAM. They gave me 128. I took it back to get more.

3) They gave me the 600E chip at 100 Mhz. I ordered the 600EB at 133 Mhz. It's in the shop again, and I won't get the new part until tomorrow.

4) I had it back the other night and had to play without sound because of something with my sound card not being in the primary slot?

5) When playing last night, I could not move my mouse on occasion, and the crosshair would turn into the little hourglass thingy.

6) I get my computer back tomorrow night (I'm posting from work), and I won't be able to use it because it's "Date Night" with my wife.

IT BETTER BE WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, had to rant.

------------------
Whistling Belly Buttons Rule!

BIG.GUN

May 4, 2000
Visit site
It really sounds like you need to find a better computer shop to deal with. All those screw-ups indicate people who don't know their business. Good Luck! :)

grey ghost

Mar 13, 2000
Australia
N
ummm??
i'd keep the 600E, due to the fact that it is easier to O/C or if yer heart stuck on 133mhz fsb then get a 550E which does 133 i've heard and if if doesn't blame it on the shop (sounds like they deserve it).
what i really don't understand is at 600mhz why you didn't get an athlon for 2/3s the price and better performance.
never mind some people have money to burn and it's still a kick as system so
happy fraggin'

bullet2.gif

don't run!! you'll only die tierd

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
Who are the guys you're dealing with? though grey ghost is right about overclocking the E chips, if these folks can't even keep enough RAM in stock, it sounds like they're a little screwed up.

Good luck with your new system.

bullet2.gif

-Wolf Blackstar
chainsaw.GIF

PuF: Bring on the pain!

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
They had enough RAM, they just read the invoice wrong. They put it in immediately.

I am getting Pentium 3 for the chip upgradeability in the future. The motherboard is jumper free (asus p3-2000), so overclocking shouldn't be a hassle. I likely won't overclock anyway.

The 600EB is at 133Mhz.

I've been going to this shop for four years. The only reason I go back is because the service guy is great. The shop is MDG computers in Toronto.

I spent last night flipping mindlessly through the channels and ended up going to bed early. I should get it back today. Maybe after my wife falls asleep, I can sneak out of bed and play. :)

bullet2.gif

We're in Newport for research. To get abreast of things.