Are there certain people/situations you play better/worse with?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Well besides the obvious ping factor, what people or situations really make you play at your best?

For some reason certain people I'll always miss using hitscan or they always outfrag me even if I could get them first. One of those guys is PineconeBoy, arg if he wasn't picking apples and singing kumbaya somewhere right now, he'd be splattering me in a 1v1.

Also for some strange reason, I tend to make really good shots and have great prediction when there's more than one person after me. It's like my aim/movement/prediction goes up by 30%, I measure it that way because if I played those people the way I normally do, I never would be able to survive for long. When I'm in that "zone" I can usually survive a lot longer most of the time depending on the skill of the players.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
JD said:
if he wasn't picking apples and singing kumbaya somewhere right now
:lol:

I play best when I get in the proverbial zone. I get there by playing tough matches against tough people, but not to the point where I'm getting destroyed. The adrenaline makes me play my best, which is probably slightly above average. In crowded games like FragBU I tend to not do as well because I'm not in that zone and not getting any adrenaline.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I handle pretty well in most situations, though people with superior aim (JD, m&ms, etc) will more often then not get me first. Goddamn Hitscan Whores. :p

I also seem to have a real tough time hitting raptors with my goliath if they fly in a certain pattern... but I'm not gonna tell you what pattern it is. ;)

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
If I'm even moderately tired, I'll play worse than I normally do. Also, if I'm on a map that I'm not familliar with, I tend to play below my average. And for some reason, I always play poorly on Rankin. I don't know why, I just do.

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
I have problems with fatigue also. One thing I've noticed with fragbu last week was how I was doing rather well one match and utter crap the next. Not sure what was happening there.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
One thing I've come to realize is that I suck at 1v1. It really doesn't matter what gametype, I'm not just refering to 1v1 DM/TDM and how I don't like control, but any situation, where I find it's just me and one opponent, I don't do well at, barring end game TAM, and then becuase the headset of my opponent isn't in the full "1v1 mode", it's more even and I hold my own.

Something about the simplicity of focusing on one target. I feel like I got one arm, if I don't have two targets at least to dance with, and almost use against each other. In most outnumbered situations, I don't "come out on top" in any kinda of majority of the time, but I do think I handle them way better then most.

Otherwise my game is pretty well rounded, and I do well wherever I play. After that it just comes down to either outside issues, most of which I know how to address, or psychological blockage issues, one I have that seriously effects my hit-scan game, that I haven't figured out how to address without alcohol.

Yeah, PCB was fun to play. One of the first people who almost switched weapons identically to me.

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
I'm really bad in DM and TDM WSon, especially large maps that my comp can't handle. I just get lost. I don't understand what is going on and I don't have a real desire to play for points. In a small controlled game of tdm wsoff with decent computer performance, I do my best. I think I do better because things make more sense. There are crystal clear objectives you must accomplish to better your team. And in TDM wsoff I feel like I'm really playing a team game. Throwing weapons to team-mates, and the little things really make me feel more immersed in the game experience. And when I feel like I'm actually in the game, I play better, or atleast I feel better about how I'm playing.

I play better against aimbots and people with high accuracy. Because I know that they aren't going to miss so my accuracy increases a lot. But I'm not sure if my accuracy goes down in games with more players because the amount of targets or just because my computer starts to slow down more.

KevinRoe327

Boycott Grendelkeep!!!
Feb 6, 2005
www.geocities.com
Warmup: I do awesome, since I'm just playing around
1v1: Not so well, I get way too shakey...I need to relax more I suppose
Tired: Horrible, I can't concentrate on anything at all...

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Im one of those players that can suck it hard during one match, but totally blow everyone out the next, although crapping out does happen more often than id like :( It all depends on 3 factors for me- map, people, general mood for which im in. If im playing against someone really good, ill get clammy hands, start shaking and eventually turn into a "woops i aimed 3 feet above your head" mess. Maps like roughinery and goliath also bring out my suckitude.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
For some reason, I can defend game objectives really well (Core, flag, etc.) but my brain spurs me to attack all the time, and says "Gogogo! Make a mad maniacal rush at the enemy's base and die!!!!!" but I play much better when I defend, even though I play almost the same way.

I can't play 1v1 at all, although that may be just that I don't care about it. I know I shouldnt be making noise, controlling the pickups, etc. but I just can't, and even when I can, I suck anyways.

SharKTanK

:zzz:
Oct 5, 2003
Manchester
6+ DM FFA and I just lose it...
I get ever so close to killing someone and then I get killed by someone else, or someone else kills the guy I was shooting.

I still have major amounts of fun, just those few instances where it's like "ARGH stop harvesting my half-dead lambs! :mad:"

Anything else goes.

Tenkken

Prizemoney
Oct 4, 2004
New York City
Dark Pulse said:
I also seem to have a real tough time hitting raptors with my goliath if they fly in a certain pattern... but I'm not gonna tell you what pattern it is. ;)

Oh yeah? You seem to have trouble with hitting my raptor, always see you pull out the turret :p

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
SharKTanK said:
I still have major amounts of fun, just those few instances where it's like "ARGH stop harvesting my half-dead lambs! :mad:"
:lol: That's the perfect way of putting that. I'm gonna start saying it.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I dunno. I can't figure it out. There are people that definitely get the best of me most of the time. I'd put people like mms in that category. I tend to do lots of dumb stuff when we're going after each other, and my hit scan leaves a lot to be desired. Then there are people who get the best of me in certain situations. This depends heavily on the makeup of the opposite team.

I definitely have maps that do better at than others. There are also players that I play with better than others. Our styles just compliment one another.

I have noticed that I play better after I warm up a bit. It's hard to jump right in and concentrate on all of the physical and mental aspects of playing.

I'm currently working on my hit scan and movement and any advice is welcome. :)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
All the hitscan advice I can give you: Use a low sensitivity, which you may not want to do. In any case, learn to accent your aim by using your movement for precision. For mid/long distance shots, use a combination of both actually aiming and moving to get the crosshair where you want it.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Or play on comp/tam servers, with bskins.

@sharktank: You seem like the type that would do well in big ffa... at least the way you've moved and shooted in both takes of our match. I'd like to play you with comperable pings. Despite a few fundimental differences, your style is similar to how I like to play.

I love FFA, WS on. 6-10 man games on maps like Albatross are my cup o' tea.