PDA

View Full Version : Advanced effects in UT2007 ?

Zur
23rd May 2005, 10:44 AM
If UT2007 is to feature even more advanced graphics and physics, there are a few things I'd like to see. For example, when a player gets fried in UT/UT2004, they are either dislocated or vaporized.

How about having players turn to dust instead or having a body being thrown back and possibly colliding with whoever is behind ? This sort of stuff would give the game a more realistic feel and will enhance the impression that you're in a terrible battle. One could go beyond this and add some effects such as blood spill or hot embers or electric arcs flashing around a corpse.

What do you think ?

Zur
23rd May 2005, 11:09 AM
I've no idea. What do you mean by non-static zones ? Walls and objects that can be damaged ?

gregori
23rd May 2005, 11:36 AM
how bout the shockrifle combo on levels with snow, vapourises a spherical hole in the snow_use diplascement maps for it,

or lightning/eletrical weapons light up desert dust

or when a player is vaporised, their cinders explode in to the air whilst their armour falls with a metalic clink to the ground

ultimately, an automatic nail gun would be cool solely for the purpose of nailing your opponents corpse to a wall, now that it can be done!

edhe
23rd May 2005, 11:46 AM
This stuff can be done, hopefully in the polishing stages.

More death animations! \o/

Zur
23rd May 2005, 11:47 AM
Now, that sounds like very cool ideas. Especially this ...

ultimately, an automatic nail gun would be cool solely for the purpose of nailing your opponents corpse to a wall, now that it can be done!

Since the stinger is back, maybe it can do more than punch holes :p .

The_Head
23rd May 2005, 03:35 PM
Now that would be sweet. Bring in some nice deaths, I love on Half Life 2 where you can nail people to walls with the cross box. Impaling people is immensly cool

-AEnubis-
23rd May 2005, 04:01 PM
uh... They already have some similar things implemented. Link shaft turns the body to a skeleton, and LtG does leave electical arcs on the body until it does it's little "soul assention" thing. Rockets leave flaming stumps when they dismember body parts, etc...

I wouldn't doubt they expound on it some, but with the same set of weapons, there really isn't a whole lot they can do.

As well, I prefer karma to "death animations". It's something I notice everytime I play a non uengine game.

T2A`
23rd May 2005, 04:17 PM
I'm still hoping for some more powerful ragdolls as well. In my own little world of hope, the sniper rifle is going to a huge, slow, cumbersome piece of equipment emitting a deafening crack when it's fired and capable of ripping through multiple bodies with a single shot. It would hilarious if when you shot someone in the head their headless body went cartwheeling backwards. I really like ragdoll deaths, but only when they're exuberent. You know in HL2 when you have that gun attached to your hoverboat that totally owns everything it hits? I thought the ragdolls associated with it were awesome. I sent some guys tumbling end-over-end for a long time, and it was great. If the ragdolls are heavy and the guns are powerful, the end effect is awesome. In UT2004, everything seems light, floaty, and artificial, and the end result is not so satisfying. If I shoot someone point-blank in the chest with a flak cannon, I want their corpse to go flying backwards and smash into the wall back-first, then I want their limbs and head to hit with a loud smash and leave blood splatters on the wall just like you'd expect, then I want them to slump the floor so I can stand above them as their sadist victor and relish in the pain I have caused!

Or something like that.

I am not a fan of random gibbing. I want it to be believable that I just blew the sh*t out of them. I don't want their model to be replaced with random gib pieces and blood. I want their body to be torn apart, I want their blood to spray in the proper direction. No more of this crap where you shoot someone in the chest with the lightning and their whole body just explodes in random directions. Though funny, it's not satisfying. How about in such an instance, you burn a whole right through them and their cooked organs explode from their back and they fall to the ground with a gaping hole in their chest? That would be so awesome.

In the end, it's not a big deal, as I care more about how the game is going to play than how people look when they die, but they could expand the current set of deaths and make them more enjoyable.

-AEnubis-
23rd May 2005, 04:31 PM
Seconded.

That is another aspect of it, I can't remember if I mentioned or not that would be way cool. In addition to it being a fast projectile, one that passes through bodies.

The_Head
23rd May 2005, 05:21 PM
Thirded.

Ragdoll physics are awesome when they work well, on UT2004 they are a little to bouncy as Turn2Ashes said, Flaking someone in the face launching there body parts across the level in a trail of blood would be sheer class

Majik
23rd May 2005, 05:52 PM
I agree that would look cool, but you'd have to keep in mind that the same force applied to the victim would also have to be applied to the player carrying the weapon fired.

But on the other hand...it's Unreal.

-AEnubis-
24th May 2005, 01:03 AM
Once dead the player could "lose weight", and it wouldn't even be that sureal considering you wouldn't be fighting the external forces with your muscles.

T2A`
24th May 2005, 03:15 AM
Well, you don't really want the ragdolls to be light, as that leads to the problem we're facing now. Actually, probably more like UT2003 where the ragdolls casually floated in the air as they fell. It was sad, really. If you've still got UT2003, load up Gael and jump down the pit. Now do the same in UT2004 and notice the amazing difference. Anyway, perhaps the players can be heavy at all times (they said they're using gravity to tone down the dodging, so this may be the case anyhow), and the force of the weapons can be really high to counteract the weight. If we wanted flashier ragdolls, perhaps the blow that causes death could have its force multiplied by some degree to make the ragdoll more exciting. Hell, they could probably release a the game with a mutator to make it configurable. In any case, there's really no way of getting around the fact that the ragdolls must look and sound like they've got some weight to them for it to be effective and satisfying.

Dark Pulse
24th May 2005, 03:25 AM
Ragdolls looked pretty good as far as I could tell. In the G4 vid, someone got nailed, bounced once, and then was quite still. Pretty good and realistic.