Map Piracy

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KevinRoe327

Boycott Grendelkeep!!!
Feb 6, 2005
www.geocities.com
What are the steps to take if someone has ripped off your level? Why work so hard on a map for someone to come along and rip it off? While discussing my map, someone brought to my attention that a certain person modified Romra and put my "wagon wheel" on it.
This person would be Scud [Scudbuttt @ AIM or Scudbutt Yahoo.com], owner of:
...::: DarksideBattlegrounds :::...NonCompetativeForNoobs

After loading up the map in question, which is named:
CTF--RomraMoonStation--2k5
He BLATENTLY copied and pasted large portions of my map, keeping most of the same textures. He also used Wø£vê®ïñË™'s map as the base, and neither Wø£vê®ïñË™ or I give him permission to do so.

Screenshots of my map:

Screenshots of "his" map:

If you will notice: Same two rings, Same 4 walkways between the two rings. Since my walkways wouldn't fit, and I was too lazy to resize them, I simply subtracted off the excess, and retextured accordingly. As you can see in the 4th screenshot of "his" map, the same cropping is there...but the retexturing is not. Also, the two slanted support beams, same as on my map. And dont forget, same textures. The only thing new is he switched a few of the textures around, and made the center ring a little thicker [by adding another donut shaped ring inside of it. But why have two rings when you can have one? O yeah, because you didn't make it!]

What can be done about this problem? This is only my fouth map [and its still in the Beta phase], and it really makes mapping seem pointless if some asshat can come along, steal half of your map, paste it on someone else’s map, claim it for his own, put it up on his server, and get away with it. At the very least, I am asking you to boycott this map and his server.

The lastest version of my map

Let the news spread:
Atari
Beyond Unreal
Cains Lair

Post your opinions here.

Maddox said:
I hate people.
So true.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Probably the best you can do is to contact him and ask him to give you some credit for your work. If you see it on a map site, you can ask them to take it down. Most of them will. But seeing as how it's Scuddbutt and he probably created it just to throw it on his server, I doubt you'll see it distributed.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
KevinRoe327 said:
He BLATENTLY copied and pasted large portions of my map, keeping most of the same textures. He also used Wø£vê®ïñË™'s map as the base, and neither Wø£vê®ïñË™ or I give him permission to do so.
Ironic. I just read through your Celestria readme (version 3c), and you don't credit Wø£vê®ïñË™ for your map base either. :rolleyes:

There's this clausule that appears in most readme's. Copy-paste it to make at least clear what your thoughts on things are. It looks like this:

---
Copyright / Permissions
-----------------------
Copyrighted 2005 to ROY

Authors may NOT use this level as a base to build additional levels without explicit permission from the Original Author.

You are NOT allowed to commercially exploit this level, without my explicit permission!

You MAY distribute this level through any electronic network, provided you include this file and leave the archive intact.

---

Anyway...I'm with Hal on this one. Contact the author and ask him to remove it. Getting mad won't help. If it's any comfort: he wouldn't have used it if he didn't like it.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
This happened with my BR-Hockey map which got ripped off more than once. I know of at least two versions of my map which are the exact same as my original only with different textures and names. Today I was playing on a server which had a map called "BR-}SomeClanName{-Hockey" which of course was my map with a different wall texture. :rolleyes:

I just did a quick google search and found this link:
http://unrealtournament2004.filefro...that_cant_map_so_he_rips_off_others_work;2642

... which is actually a news post on how my map got ripped off.

The best part is that "the author" actually wrote a readme with this line:

"Time taken: 3 Days"

:lol: 3 days is quite a while for changing a couple of textures in a TINY map. What's worse is that the textures are bright green seizure inducers so it looks horrible!

Kevin - You can't do much about it except email them like everyone else said and ask to have it removed. Hopefully most of the people who downloaded your map know that it was done by you.

KevinRoe327

Boycott Grendelkeep!!!
Feb 6, 2005
www.geocities.com
Taleweaver said:
Ironic. I just read through your Celestria readme (version 3c), and you don't credit Wø£vê®ïñË™ for your map base either. :rolleyes:

I did not use his map for my map base, so I have no reason to credit him in that nature. Though after talking to him, he is a cool guy, and I will give him credit for that, and his successful line of maps. But, this "experience" has already taught me several things, including:

---
Copyright / Permissions
-----------------------
Copyrighted 2005 to ROY

Authors may NOT use this level as a base to build additional levels without explicit permission from the Original Author.

You are NOT allowed to commercially exploit this level, without my explicit permission!

You MAY distribute this level through any electronic network, provided you include this file and leave the archive intact.

---

Though I doubt they will care about this, and It surely won't stop them, but this will:

Originally posted by -=¤willhaven¤=-
When your map is final and ready for release, delete all the BSP brushes and save the map for upload somewhere. Makes map piracy much harder.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
Map piracy does suck. I was once playing on a server, adn my first released map ever was pirated - that's right, they pirated a map with:
3 brushes.
2 goals.
12 lights.
10 playerspawns
0 pathnodes
and 0 weaponbases!

I can't image why someone would WANT to put thier name in 4 or 5 places on that map, but he did it nonetheless. I'm not upset that he moved the goals by 100 uu each to change the gameplay a little. I am upset that he didnt have to goodness to at least ask me first since my email was in the map.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
After deleting the BSP, you could also take the remaining stuff, put it into a group (see the group browser), and hide it all. Might not deter someone with experience, but I'm sure quite a lot of people don't know about groups. Most map rippers are idiots anyway, so I doubt they'd know about it. They'd open the map and see absolutely nothing and be confused. :D

Why didn't you resize those pillars? Are you not familiar with vertex editing? It would have taken you probably 15 seconds to do... If you don't know vertex editing, learn it. It's an invaluable skill.

KevinRoe327

Boycott Grendelkeep!!!
Feb 6, 2005
www.geocities.com
Sweet. I'll have to learn me some groups.
Which pillars are you talking about? The two under the keg? How should I resize them? Got a cheezy MSPaint drawing? :D

All of today I have been working on the map...mostly on bot pathing [now has assault paths, and hopefully these ai scripts will work, though i haven't found a single tut on them.]

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
_Lynx said:
http://blitz.unrealplayground.com/tutorials/bots.html
Heh. Google gives out this tutorial on Ut2004 botpathing as the first link. (Keywords: Botpathing Ut2004) I used it and I think that it's the best tutorial on that subject.
Well, that's how Google is supposed to work. The first thing it finds is supposed to me the most popular site under your search subject. That is the best tutorial, so I'm sure lots of people use it. I've been using it since UT2003.

Kevin said:
Which pillars are you talking about?
The ones in the last picture you posted you were "too lazy to resize" that have the texture error. I made you a handy diagram so you could learn vertex editing. :lol:

Attachments

• vertexediting101.gif
    vertexediting101.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 33

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Haha, that's an entertaining read. :)

As a side note, any maps I release I plan to attach a GPL-like license to; I plan to allow others to do anything to my maps or any part that they want without having to ask permission as long as they indicate that it is based on something I originally made...

But yeah, if the author indicates that they don't want people using their stuff without asking, they shouldn't. It's just the right thing to do. But people on the internet seem to have trouble grasping the "right thing" part...