PDA

View Full Version : Impact Hammer

Unreality
22nd May 2005, 11:13 PM
for all those trickjumpers and impact hammer fans

BeyondUnreal: Speaking about "up close and personal," what are the plans for melee combat in UT2007? Will the shield gun be returning or will we see something different?

Steve Polge: We're going back to the impact hammer. [Steve smiles deviously]

:D

BooGiTyBoY
23rd May 2005, 01:18 AM
I think System of a Down expresses what I'd like to say best....

JUMP
POGO POGO POGO POGO POGO POGO POGO POGO
BOUNCE
DOWN
UP

-AEnubis-
23rd May 2005, 03:14 AM
\o/

Just as I suspected... gald to have clerification.

Now, we have to wait and see if they share any of my alt fire visions, or come up with something even better....

FireCrack
23rd May 2005, 03:20 AM
I was thinking an actual physical metal sheild that folds up might have been plausible but the interview disproves that.

Howver, i did make a personal guess that teams would vote on their vehicle set before the round starts, so i got one thing right :D

edhe
23rd May 2005, 04:57 AM
SoaD styleeee!

Sweet, /me likes how this is looking already... now we need LtG ;)

Lavagiant again? :B

Monster Kill
23rd May 2005, 02:17 PM
in unreal tournament, the impact hammer was consistently my highest killing weapon (besides the bio rifle which I love even more). I love it. It's like my younger brother.

Hydrus
23rd May 2005, 02:43 PM
I wet myself when I read that. :o

Any more info on the Alt-Fire?

The_Head
23rd May 2005, 03:28 PM
I think System of a Down expresses what I'd like to say best....

I brought my pogo stick just to show her a trick, she had so many freinds!

Gotta love SOAD

[SHADOW|force]
26th May 2005, 06:19 PM
uhhh sorry I forgot: what was the impact hammers secondery fire in the first UT? (I think it was defensive)

Majik
26th May 2005, 06:24 PM
It deflected incoming projectiles (can't remember which projectiles in particular besides the rockets).

Olga
26th May 2005, 07:17 PM
It was a quick burst, which also would deflect projectiles like Majik said.

Dark Pulse
26th May 2005, 07:58 PM
It deflected incoming projectiles (can't remember which projectiles in particular besides the rockets).
Shock Balls, Ripper Blades, Rockets. In theory it could do Pulsegun, but the ROF would punch through it.

-AEnubis-
26th May 2005, 09:16 PM
Redeemers as well.

Majik
26th May 2005, 09:24 PM
So basically any projectile with a linear trajectory.

-AEnubis-
27th May 2005, 12:56 AM
Oh, I didn't see he didn't mention flak bombs.

It was any weapon that had an "interacting Projectle", but I never tested it on goo, so for that I'm not sure..

Shock Cores, Redeemers, Rockets, Flak bombs, and Razors, fairly certain they didn't deflect pulse.

spineblaZe
27th May 2005, 01:03 AM
Full interview here (http://www.beyondunreal.com/content/articles/128_1.php). :D They don't know what the secondary will do yet, but we do know it won't have a shield function. *does the happy dance*

BeyondUnreal: Speaking about "up close and personal," what are the plans for melee combat in UT2007? Will the shield gun be returning or will we see something different?

Steve Polge: We're going back to the impact hammer. [Steve smiles deviously, again]

BeyondUnreal: Will that have a secondary shield function on it like we saw in UT2004?

Steve Polge: It won't have a shield function, but it will have some kind of secondary function that, ah, and we're still trying to figure that out, whether it's a deflection kind of thing like we had in the original UT, or we've had some other ideas that haven't been finalized.

moonflyer
27th May 2005, 01:17 AM
wow, amazing! nice to hear this

T2A`
27th May 2005, 02:09 AM
Hopefully the defensive function will be something that takes skill to use as opposed to something you can just hide behind. :):tup:

Or, what they could do is have the alt-fire able to collect shock beams that it blocks and store them in some energy cell. Then, when you've collected enough energy, you can blow yourself up with a redeemer-like explosion. ;)

Black_Seeds
27th May 2005, 03:18 AM
what they could do is have the alt-fire able to collect shock beams that it blocks and store them in some energy cell. Then, when you've collected enough energy, you can blow yourself up with a redeemer-like explosion. ;)
:eek:

that is one AWESOME idea :eek:

-AEnubis-
27th May 2005, 04:30 AM
Well, if it gives you any idea, the one in UT was so hard to use, that I only knew what it was capable of via slowing game speed down, and using playersonly in practice matches to find out. Actually attempting stuff in game,and achieveing it was ... harder then tellefragging is today... actually, much harder...

I'm trying to equate it to something that difficult in this game... Imagine lift jumping, having a core thown at you, SG deflecting it, and comboing it in the face of the guy that shot it at you before you hit the ground. I'd imagine it was like that.

edhe
27th May 2005, 05:50 AM
That's not difficult, it just requires luck to have someone in that position ;)

The_Head
27th May 2005, 07:43 AM
Or, what they could do is have the alt-fire able to collect shock beams that it blocks and store them in some energy cell. Then, when you've collected enough energy, you can blow yourself up with a redeemer-like explosion. ;)
Yeh that would be cool. OR perhaps use the energy for more damage with the impact. HUUUUUGE Hammer Jumps

I'm trying to equate it to something that difficult in this game... Imagine lift jumping, having a core thown at you, SG deflecting it, and comboing it in the face of the guy that shot it at you before you hit the ground. I'd imagine it was like that.
Now that would just be showing off :p
I never managed to pull of any deflections with the Impact Hammer... I only realised a few weeks ago that I could with a shieldgun. (I dont usually play NW's)

-AEnubis-
27th May 2005, 03:21 PM
I really don't believe in luck, so you can imagine then (if you chock it solely up to chance) how difficult it is to arrange that scenario on purpose.

Basically, having the hammer ready, and making sure somone fires said projectiles at you, and then reacting to trajectory's wasn't easy. The biggest difficulty element in either equation being ensuring your opponent fired what you wanted at you.

moonflyer
31st May 2005, 01:20 AM
why not make the hammer's alt fire a bit like HL2's gravity gun?
I mean player can grap or throw away the projectiles(rocket, flak ball...) by the alt-fire of the hammer
this will be damn cool!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

EL BOURIKO
31st May 2005, 01:51 AM
I have never played with anything else than my lovely shield gun to protect myself and to perform my lovely "monkey" shield gun jumps. Since it looks like that the Impact hammer is well known by most of you, is there anyone who can tell me if you can perform the same jumps as you can with a shield gun by using an Impact hammer?
And is the impact hammer as effective as a shield gun can be when you use it in a close combat attack?

-AEnubis-
31st May 2005, 02:35 AM
I guess we discussed it in another thread.... so I'll say it again, though you should search around and find out for yourself...

Yes, the Primary fire of the Shield Gun was directly inspired by the Impact hammer. You charge it, and release, sooner for less damage/height, later for more damage/height in jumps, and running with a full charge will autodischarge the hammer if it touches a player pawn, or pretty much anything that can take damage.

The IH in UT though was much more accurate in doing so. I hope that returns as well.

EL BOURIKO
31st May 2005, 04:30 AM
it sounds good, thx for the explanations AEnubis!!

killalot0
31st May 2005, 04:45 AM
what about a selfdistruct function, no need to get shocks and stuff to powerup,
just a 2 a 3 sec wait. Then boom and u'll blow up like a shock combo explosion. it can really be handy in some sitiuasions, but u wont win a match alone with it.

The_Head
31st May 2005, 06:32 AM
^^ thats what the Impact hammer did in the Excessive overkill mod iirc