Interview with Tim Sweeney from E3 'Video''

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Doikor

Apr 7, 2005
Anyone wanna make a text version of that?
The audios pretty bad with all that noice.

Xipher

I didn't break it, you did
Feb 15, 2004
Iowa
BooGiTyBoY said:
Yeah woohoo! I need to go out and buy a $400+ card to run it..
..at DECENT quality? bleh. :mad:
By the time its released the prices will have dropped, and by a fair amount I will guess (UT2007 is probably a year off)

dmodert66

May 22, 2005
Hello all..I'm new here. I was behind the camera for the Sweeney interview. He was very cool to let us do that as we did not have press passes (although next year we will). We also tried to tape UT2K7 footage, but we got denied...you can see what happened...I have that part on video...LOL...We are also giving away a signed copy by him of Unreal (some collocters or dvd version I think...We also got an interview with the guys at Ageia (phsysics card)...
For All of the videos we took at E3...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50914
For The Givaway...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50910
Not sure on linking in these forums to other forums..so if it's a problem, mods please edit...
Enjoy!

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
If he's saying that a 6800 can run it decently at 1024x768 that means that people had a good idea for dualling up 6600s when the time comes.

6600 sli system tends to be above a 6800 card.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
The man speaks truth.

Not to mention you are still talking $400 for 2 6600gt's... thats on ly the 128 versions... and thats STILL only to run DECENTLY at 1024x768? ugh...

I think with these new generation of games we are borking the balance of hardware/software.
Yeah it's great these games can do all this cool stuff... but it used to be the hardware would be crack and the software had to catch up to it. Now it almost seems as though that's reversed itself. The hardware can't keep up with the software.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Yeah, and it is going to have a huge ipact on competative gameing. You know how they are about ping, you gotta imagine they are the same about sys specs. Not that man around here give a crap about self proclaimed pro's, but...

I know my specs have been a factor in slowing down myself trying to clan it up or join ladders. It's something I've had in mind ever since I saw the first render of Malcom, and my view hasn't been an optimistic one.

I remember back in Unreal, and UT, my Voodoo3 ran them great, and as well most GL games very good, and it was 2 models down from the best card that company had to offer, not to mention other makes that had bigger models as well. I stay at about the same rung in the hardware chain with my machine, and quality I run my games at keeps decreasing.

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Yeah, I'm starting to think seriously about how much this game is going to cost me. UT2k4 is the only game I play, and as I play on a laptop (a G4 Powerbook which runs it really well at medium/high settings) I'm probably going to have to splash out on a new computer....for one game!

I mean, my computer handles everything I need it it to handle really well now, Photoshop, CAD etc can all run at the same time...I'm not going to use this extra power for anything else except UT2k7....and that's A LOT of money just for a game.

It seriously makes me wonder what Epic's plans are. I mean, I work and can afford this, but probably most gamers are students, or don't have the income to easily cover the hard-ware upgrades...it could seriously affect the community and make the game pretty hardware elitist. I know there are people who are willing to do that, but I am wondering whether I myself will, and I wonder how many others will also decide that they can't justify the expense

So I find myself, amazingly even to myself, wondering whether Epic will make the game run with keyboard/mouse on the PS3 (apparently it's up to the devs about this). I thought I'd left consoles behind ages ago, I don't really want to go back to consoles, but it seems to me that a PS3 is going to be a fraction of the price of the upgrading I'd need to do to play on PC/Mac....and if it IS playable on keyboard/mouse, then I might be seriously tempted to go with it on the PS3 (assuming it's released, which looks likely).

I don't want to go back to consoles for various reasons, not least that i think the online console community can't compete with the PC one....but with hardware requirements like these, Epic are going to be forcing peoples hands.

Last edited:

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
I have already started to save for some new hardwares and I ll see what I need at the time UT2007 is out...
There s nothing else I can do if i want to run UT's next opus...

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
Still think she needs to get her dumbo ears pinned back or something hehe.

I totally hear ya there too Isra. If this trend keeps going I see many people going back to consoles for their gaming needs. Why the heck should I go out and spend $3000 on a new rig so i can play one game I can play on a $300 xbox/Ps3 which will probably run smoother and look better than my current rig...

Only thing PC games have going for them these days is the customability factor. Better graphics and online play are slowly becoming moot excuses for wanting a pc veriosn over a console. Even if they don't do keyboard/mouse for the Ps3, there's plenty of third party companies willing to put out adapters for these systems. They already have quite a few for the current console systems.
If this trend keeps going, the only reason to own a pc for gaming in the future will be if you are a competitive/pro player or if you are a total mmorpg geek.