PDA

View Full Version : Need an electrician for UT2004

randyannie
20th May 2005, 12:19 PM
:Poop: :minigun: :flak: Hey peeps, I was hoping that someone here in the forums has experience with electricity. Last year I went through Hurricane Ivan here in Pensacola, FL and was without power for 9 days. :eek:

I'm gearing up for this years Hurricane season, and I was wondering if there was a way to run a PC off of something like a 12V car battery. If so, how long would the battery last.

Finally, maybe there are some other ways to run a PC off of some other source of power....but I don't know them. Anyone that knows about AC or DC circuits and batteries or has general electrical knowledge help a brother out. :D Let the brainstorming begin!!! :lol:

Love, Prozac

hyrulian
20th May 2005, 01:11 PM
I'm gearing up for this years Hurricane season, and I was wondering if there was a way to run a PC off of something like a 12V car battery. If so, how long would the battery last.
It's quite easy to run a PC off a car battery; what you need is called a Power Inverter. Pretty much, you insert it into the cigarette lighter socket of your car (or connect it directly to the car battery using a sufficient amperage fuse), and it gives you the proper 120V AC that you need to run ordinary stuff like a computer. Make sure you get one that is capable of running your computer and monitor (add up the watts of them to see how "big" of an inverter you need). As for how long it lasts, I'm not sure, but it's probably a good idea to run the car engine too, so the battery doesn't get drained in the process. Just make sure not to run out of gas. ;)

Dark Pulse
20th May 2005, 02:11 PM
You could also use a UPS (Uninterruptable Power supply) but those will run only for a hour to six or so, depending on the UPS' cost.

Could also buy a backup generator, but those are, to say the least, expensive. ;)

Renegade Retard
20th May 2005, 02:34 PM
It's quite easy to run a PC off a car battery; what you need is called a Power Inverter. Pretty much, you insert it into the cigarette lighter socket of your car (or connect it directly to the car battery using a sufficient amperage fuse), and it gives you the proper 120V AC that you need to run ordinary stuff like a computer. Make sure you get one that is capable of running your computer and monitor (add up the watts of them to see how "big" of an inverter you need). As for how long it lasts, I'm not sure, but it's probably a good idea to run the car engine too, so the battery doesn't get drained in the process. Just make sure not to run out of gas. ;)

Basically what Hyru said. You could easily run a laptop off of a Power Inverter (with your car running, not straight to a car battery), but a system like yours requires quite a bit more power. You'd probably have to get a pretty sizable inverter, which I'm guessing will run you about $150.

Keep this in mind....If you do that, you're either going to have to a) put your PC in your car, or b) run an extension cable from the car into your house. If you use the extension cord, you'll have to get an even more powerful inverter, because pulling electricity through a long cord like that has resistence.

The other option is as Dark Pulse said. You can get a gas generator. I believe you can buy smaller ones that you can only run one or two objects at a time. Again, you will have to check and see what kind of power ratings it has.

Something popular in FL due to the Hurricane's (as you know, I'm familiar with it ;) ) is a larger generator that can basically supply your house during power outings. These are quite expensive, but may be worth the investment considering you can keep your refrigerator/freezer running (and don't have to lose money on replacing all your food), as well as your hot water heater and your AC. It's not very cost effecient to run all the time, since you'll be paying for the gas to run it, but running it a few hours a day could be a big help to get you through.

Good to see you again Pal.

CyberSirius
20th May 2005, 07:47 PM
stationary bike?

randyannie
21st May 2005, 12:00 AM
stationary bike?

I'm laughing out loud at you guys :lol: Thanks for all of the tips though.

To Ren: when I picture myself sitting in my car with a full on gaming PC...I can do nothing but laugh. I do however like your idea of buying a generator. Thanks. (here's a funny thought for ya, what's say me and you and Hyru and DP and CyberSerius all get in the car with our PC's and make a LAN and frag the hell out of each other!) :lol:

To Cyber: I'm still laughing :lol: :lol: :lol:

To Hyru: good info, and good for you for graduating! ;)

To Dark Pulse: I thought about the UPS, but like you said it won't run for too long of a time, I'm leaning toward generator, unless a mad scientist comes through here with some other snazzy idea. :D

Thanks guys, Prozac