PDA

View Full Version : To those who whined/complained about the LG going away...

Bullet10k
19th May 2005, 05:49 PM
Well its not coming back BUT.....

Look at the G4TV's UT2007 Mike Capps interview here -->> http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/746/746631/vids_1.html

Look at the shock rifle........closely....... It looks a LOT MORE similar to the LG. Look at the way they changed the shape and the firing effect (a bit of lightning for primary and also the shock combo with lots of lightNing). The shape of the gun looks more like the LG now. I actually like the looks of the improved shock rifle! :D :eek:

Are we all happy now? :D

Majik
19th May 2005, 06:17 PM
I think you may have missed the point of why people have been complaing about the lightning gun's removal. To my understanding those people prefered the lightning gun over the traditional sniper rifle mostly because of its traceability and on top of that done in a very unique way. Adding a bit of lightning to the shock rifle won't rectify that.

On a sidenote, I'm a bit dissappointed with the shock rifle's new model, but i can live with it.

Nunchuk_Skillz
19th May 2005, 06:51 PM
I think you may have missed the point of why people have been complaing about the lightning gun's removal. To my understanding those people prefered the lightning gun over the traditional sniper rifle mostly because of its traceability and on top of that done in a very unique way. Adding a bit of lightning to the shock rifle won't rectify that.

On a sidenote, I'm a bit dissappointed with the shock rifle's new model, but i can live with it.

I wouldn't count on any of those models being set in stone yet. The game is at least a year away at this point, so that leaves them with basically.... everything still to do.

Kronon
20th May 2005, 04:38 AM
I think these models are just the models from UC2, and they will probably change. And personally I always liked the classic sniper more than the LG (I hated the slow sniper in UT2004 though).

/Kronon

Nosnos
20th May 2005, 06:31 AM
A sniper rifle is fine, as long as you have to actually hid the head and not from the navel and up to get a headshots ^^ But I prefer the LG since you can see where the person is shooting from, makes it harder to camp...

empty_other
20th May 2005, 07:51 AM
I just began to train to snipe, and by what i feel (i train vs bots) its much easier to get headshots with the LG than the sniper....

I like the Lightning Gun, but i would dislike to lose the sniper...It was a reason why they brought it back; somewhy, everybody (who spoke up) hated the LG, and said I WANT THE CLASSIC SNIPER RIFLE BACK!

edhe
20th May 2005, 07:55 AM
And they were fools, and epic fubared them with a crappy weapon that was crappy crappy compared to LtG.

krjal
20th May 2005, 10:19 AM
The irony of it all.

Now everyone's calling curses down on Epic because the LtG's gone this time.

BooGiTyBoY
20th May 2005, 01:23 PM
somewhy, everybody (who spoke up) hated the LG, and said I WANT THE CLASSIC SNIPER RIFLE BACK!

CLASSIC being the important word in that sentence.. not the piece of crap gun they gave us in ECE. ;)

daloonie
20th May 2005, 01:41 PM
CLASSIC being the important word in that sentence.. not the piece of crap gun they gave us in ECE. ;)

'04 not ECE.

But still the lg was the best improve to the Sniper Rifle since '99. And the '04 classic one sucked so darn much.

Lauren
20th May 2005, 02:35 PM
I just need the lightning gun also they remove the puff of the sniper it sucks no gun has it

T2A`
20th May 2005, 05:51 PM
:con: Punctuation is cool.

I absolutely hate the new sniper rifle and I can't understand why in the hell they would pick to add another one over a lightning gun in UT2007. Look how technological the new rocket launcher looks and then we're gonna have a boring POS sniper rifle... :rolleyes:

FireCrack
20th May 2005, 09:55 PM
Sniper rifle does not nesecarily mean anything convenional.

For all we know it could shoot out a ball of plasma that seeks whatever was hitscanned to perfectly.

dude2425
20th May 2005, 11:11 PM
I personaly hated the lightning gun in 2k*. I always loved the sniper rifle. I actually think the puff of smoke was a good idea, it forces people to step to the side or forward to continue sniping. Sure, the smoke could have been toned down a bit so you could actually see everybody's head explode when you hit 'em.
I've always thought that the lightning gun was a little corny TBH. Maybe if it had a better sound, with much improved effects, and a better look/color, then I may change my mind about it.

The_Head
21st May 2005, 06:04 AM
I also foundn that the LG looked a bit corny. The sounds and effects are fine (maybe make it louder) but the actual weapon model was lame imo.
tbh I would choose it over the UT2k4 Sniper becase it did more damage and just felt more dangerous, the problem with the UT2k4 sniper is it wasn't loud, not much recoil and just didn't feel loke a powerfull gun. It felt really out of place.

Wowbagger
21st May 2005, 06:49 AM
I never thought i would say this but i prefer the LG over the Sniper.
The Sniper felt weak in UT2004 and the LG is more "fair" since it gives away your position.

iron12
21st May 2005, 07:30 AM
I like the lighting gun over the sniper gun

I like the AR over the enforcers

And I like the old style rocketlauncher.

And I wish the ripper would come back.

And I know I'm not going to get any of that.

So I think I will just UT2007:rl:

:D

gregori
22nd May 2005, 04:35 PM
i find it disturbing epic isn't going to put one new weapon in their game
i've played all the weapons in unreal before, want some new ones!

PigBear
24th May 2005, 01:57 PM
i find it disturbing epic isn't going to put one new weapon in their game
i've played all the weapons in unreal before, want some new ones!

I so agree, but i will also miss the LG... my best friend in the world.

Xipher
24th May 2005, 02:42 PM
I know the canister gun isn't know, more of a consolidation of weapons. I doubt Epic is telling us EVERY thing, so they could easily have some things up their sleves, waiting to show us the really new stuff when it gets closer to completion. The game is still a year away. I wonder, when did we find out about the Sticky nad launcher, or the mine layer that were added in UT2004, how close to release? They aren't going to give us every thing so soon.

Nunchuk_Skillz
25th May 2005, 02:39 PM
Imo, the lg (despite the horrible sound effect) > UT'99 sniper (way too high rof for the damage and no traceability) > Classic Sniper from 2K4 (just an abomination with the puff of smoke, and even worse, the bizarre additional delay on weapon switch).

Oh, and enforcers = much, *much* > than the assault rifle. imo AR just feels incredibly wimpy.

Minigun would be fine if they could just change it from being hitscan to being very fast projectiles. That way, it'd be much harder to use at range, and would be more of what it should be - a close in finishing weapon.

Anyway, just my 2.3 cents. :P

T2A`
25th May 2005, 02:47 PM
Actually, the sound effect for the UT2003 LtG is much better than the UT2004 version. Same with the flak cannon. They sounded more powerful, like they had some "oomph" behind their shots, and the screen kinda flickered and jerked a bit when you shot, adding to the effect. Plus, the actual bolt looked better too. It was brighter, bigger, and made more of a fierce splash effect where it hit. And it had a slightly longer rate of fire, if I'm not mistaken. It was much better in UT2003, IMO.

I will be very, very sad if it's not included in UT2007. It's my favorite weapon both aesthetically and pwnagely. Rockets and flak are more fun and satisfying to use (nothing beats the satisfaction of putting a rocket to someone's face, especially when they're airborne), but the LtG is a great weapon!

/me cries.

Dark Pulse
25th May 2005, 05:36 PM
Well we don't exactly know the toal weapon layout. Things could change.

I personally think you people are just getting this all mixed up in your heads. Both weapons accomplish exactly the same thing. An alert player can trace the bullet tracer back to the puff of smoke and kill a sniper that way. I've done it before.

It won't affect me. I like the Sniper in 99, I like the LtG in 2004. I'm not going to lose sleep, regardless of what's chosen.

Monster Kill
25th May 2005, 07:36 PM
If they turn the shock rifle into the LG I will be pissed. I pretty much only use the goop gun and the shock rifle. (Not saying that I'm bad w/ the others ;)) The lighting gun deserves to go. I thought it was funny to see a scoped m-16 amidst redeemers and pulse guns.

m&ms
25th May 2005, 08:02 PM
Both weapons accomplish exactly the same thing. An alert player can trace the bullet tracer back to the puff of smoke and kill a sniper that way. I've done it before.
I'm not against the sniper rifle because it's hard to trace where I'm being shot from. LG is easier to trace in that situation, but sniper isn't too bad either. I'm against the sniper rifle because it's impossible to trace where MY bullets are going. It wouldn't be a problem if everybody had a 40- ping, but I for one need to know where my shots are going in order to adjust to the lag. Going with the sniper just makes the game more dependent on ping.

Dark Pulse
25th May 2005, 09:01 PM
UT07 is a lot faster anyway. It's going to be less about hitscan dominance. :p

Majik
25th May 2005, 09:15 PM
I'm not against the sniper rifle because it's hard to trace where I'm being shot from. LG is easier to trace in that situation, but sniper isn't too bad either. I'm against the sniper rifle because it's impossible to trace where MY bullets are going. It wouldn't be a problem if everybody had a 40- ping, but I for one need to know where my shots are going in order to adjust to the lag. Going with the sniper just makes the game more dependent on ping.

Very good point and also something I dislike about the Sniper Rifle while playing online. I'm really hoping they'll some kind of tracer stretching the entire length of the bullet's course from the rifle to the hit location. Perhaps something matrix-ish where you can see the bullet ripping through the air (I think ChaosUT did something like that, but I'm not sure)?

FireCrack
25th May 2005, 10:34 PM
CUT had smoke rings for their rocket propelled bullets.

Anyways, any special trace effect will do nicely.

carmatic
26th May 2005, 04:40 AM
anyone remember way back in 2k3 when the lighting gun first came out, the lighting bolt looked slightly different, like it was much more curvy and stuff... i thought that was a cool effect, why did they change it so that its so straight?

EL BOURIKO
26th May 2005, 04:56 AM
Why not having a sniper rifle and a gravitation effect on the bullet that you could really feel at very long range (after a while the bullet have to fall down!). So at very long range you would have to aim higher to compensate the gravition.
And since I start to talk about the gravitation, why not considering the wind effect too at very long range! in some maps, we could have some open areas with flags around for this special aspect when it have to be considered before you shoot your bullet!

yes please, EPIC put all that! because i am such a poor sniper that it would not change anything for me except that i would surely be sniped a bit less as usually =D

NwS-bbanks
28th May 2005, 10:14 PM
the people hwo usually want weapons to leave are usually the ones who dont even bother learning it. ut2004 has the biggest learning curve nad people getowned when they first play then they come here and complain to epic. i suck at lg so take it out that what all these threads say to me. as a flag carrier in ctf i cant live wiht out a sheild, those who dont use it are the ones hwo want it out cuz they dont want to learn how to do sheild jumps at diodge they just wanna come here from quake or counter strike and shoot people. the game is gonna lose all its flavor wihtout the dodges and sheild jumps and all that time practicing my lg and shock combos all a waste cuz other want ut to be jhust liek evry other game. bang bang your dead cuz i go tthe first hit, thats how most of the ut community wants it to be.

Dark Pulse
29th May 2005, 02:40 AM
the people hwo usually want weapons to leave are usually the ones who dont even bother learning it. ut2004 has the biggest learning curve nad people getowned when they first play then they come here and complain to epic. i suck at lg so take it out that what all these threads say to me. as a flag carrier in ctf i cant live wiht out a sheild, those who dont use it are the ones hwo want it out cuz they dont want to learn how to do sheild jumps at diodge they just wanna come here from quake or counter strike and shoot people. the game is gonna lose all its flavor wihtout the dodges and sheild jumps and all that time practicing my lg and shock combos all a waste cuz other want ut to be jhust liek evry other game. bang bang your dead cuz i go tthe first hit, thats how most of the ut community wants it to be.
It's not that, it's the fact that Shields + Multiple dodges + Wallkicks = Insanely evasive action. The game is less about killing and more about NOT being killed - which was the direct opposite of how the original UT played. It makes the game a much slower pace, and not the fast-frag action UT was famous for. This is what people complained about, and this is what Epic's about to address.

PigBear
29th May 2005, 03:01 AM
It's not that, it's the fact that Shields + Multiple dodges + Wallkicks = Insanely evasive action. The game is less about killing and more about NOT being killed - which was the direct opposite of how the original UT played.

And also a new way to play fps, i agree that sheild and dodges make the gamepley slow down, but on the other hand the rapid-movment make the hunter ,the one who is not fleeing like a chicken, move alot faster too.

IMO dodge+shield add "brains" to the game, even in 1o1 u got to thing a lot more then in... like Q3 .. oops.. that could piss people of.. doh!

carmatic
29th May 2005, 07:15 AM
hm whats this special jump that ive never done before... 'boosting' or something? where you press the direction key against teh wall, let it go, jump, and press it again, or something, and you do some big jump... ive never done it before
they say it used to work well in ut2k3 but they nerfed it in 2k4
also if all your wallkicking action can only happen up to a maximum jump height, you will need smallish levels for them to be truly impressive, right now when you wallkick through a level you feel like falling through empty space, but in maps like albatross and rankin , fancy jumps actually have a place in the map, and so if 2k7 will have ut99-sized levels (which were cramped compared to the 2k3 and 2k4 levels) then wallkicks will have extra merit, like make it so that people dont fall down so fast so theyre easier to execute through tight spaces , while at the same time making them easier to hit