PDA

View Full Version : Hoverboard?

BooGiTyBoY
19th May 2005, 12:21 PM
Additionally, there will be a hoverboard, which players can use in place of a weapon, so for those who want to go all Back to the Future and grab onto the back of a vehicle or do crazy stunts in the game, you'll be able to -- you just won't be able to carry a weapon at the same time.

Wow.. they couldn't come up with something better than this for faster movement through a large area.
I have to say I'm somewhat dissapointed in this idea. Even if it's implemented in a cool fashion, I'm still gonna have Michael J. Fox flashbacks... :rolleyes:

Hydrus
19th May 2005, 12:27 PM
I'm undecided whether this will work or not. No doubt it'll be ace at the beginning - just liek that frikken' B17 (BF'42), but soon become irritating.

Personally i'd preferred Anarki's shoes ;)

Majik
19th May 2005, 12:35 PM
I really don't know what to think of it, but if it works...it works. I'm just hoping it won't be anything cheesy...and I pray that we won't see servers filled with players trying to do tricks all over the place (ONS-Tricky flashback....brrr).

OT: BooGiTyBoY, what happened to your awesome avatar?

BooGiTyBoY
19th May 2005, 12:46 PM
I stepped on it and it broke ;)

SharKTanK
19th May 2005, 12:56 PM
http://www.ftuc.net/members/temp/AngelStuff/bttf-ut2k7.jpg

Selerox
19th May 2005, 01:02 PM
It's a seriously lame idea. Hope they drop all trace of it or the game will suck.

Bang Yr Head
19th May 2005, 01:08 PM
I dont see what the problem is here.... I like the idea.

AntiMatter
19th May 2005, 01:13 PM
Reminds me of Airblade :rolleyes:

Unreality
19th May 2005, 01:15 PM
the problem is you'll get a large amount zip zapping all over the place while you are trying to kill em! i yust hope u can't run people over with it :lol:

i dunno perhaps gives an option or mutator with the game to disable this in DM or something that doesn't need players with vechiles

B
19th May 2005, 01:35 PM
I dont see what the problem is here.... I like the idea.
Yeh I dunno why you're all bitchy about it...sounds kinda cool to me :)

hal
19th May 2005, 01:54 PM
My impression of it was that it was for vehicle based games, not DM or CTF.

It makes sense for gametypes like ONS/Conquest because it allows you to cover open ground a little faster, and perhaps less annoyingly, than continual dodge jumping. They've already said that you won't be able to use a weapon while riding it.

I doubt they are going to be so fast as to render the other vehicles useless.

It sounds like the vehicle gametype equivalent of the translocator.

BooGiTyBoY
19th May 2005, 02:39 PM
I'd have rathered they come up with a more imaginative idea. Yes slow ass continuous dodging sucked in huge ONS maps... but they could have come up with something better than a back to the future rip-off.

Majik
19th May 2005, 02:45 PM
Like I posted in the news thread, I'd like it to have some kind of energy/fuel limitation (kinda like how the translocator, and the SG for that matter, has been limited) to prevent excessive (abusive?) use of it.

19th May 2005, 02:58 PM
I think it's an awesome idea. I don't understand how this could be used abusively. Maybe they should have named it something else :). Like "Falcon A39 MiniHovercraft 200" so people don't think it's a ripoff :D. It's definetely not going to be used in TDM/DM or CTF. That would be ridiculous. I think it would be hilarious if players had to cross a lake or something with the hoverboards and there would be a load of enemies going to the opposite direction and they couldn't shoot eachother :D.

-AEnubis-
19th May 2005, 03:03 PM
Uh, from that blurb boog posted, it'd be hard for me to say that they are self propelled at all. You may only be able to gain speed with them on declining terrain, or piggybacked on a vehicle. It sounds more to me like a transportation answer when there aren't enough vehicles to hold everyone on your team.

I would guess they don't "out run" any vehicle. Prolly not dissimilar from a Tribes V G-hook. Difference there is you could ski and jetpack already, so if used in UT they'd have to find a way to bridge the friction gap.

My only beef with it is that it sounds like it would be way to xy axis, which may be just great for ONS/CON. In DM, we still need something more hammer like that we can project in any direction, z axis included.

Won't knock it 'till I try it though.

NeoNite
19th May 2005, 05:26 PM
Sharktank, whoever made that is a lazy bastiche. Look at how he cut out M.J. fox :-/
Lazy, lazy.. how long does it take to do it the way?

1 minute, max.

Hate it when I see stuff like that in a magazine. Lazy, lazy.. lazy.

JaFO
19th May 2005, 05:57 PM
A 'personal transportation device' like a hoverboard definitely sounds interesting.
It has the advantage of providing the *new* players with a way to get around fast that doesn't depend on learning how to abus a feature of the game.

Of course the no-lifers are sure to find a way to abuse the hoverboard once it's available, but at least Epic is trying to find something new & different that could be easier to learn & fun.

edhe
20th May 2005, 04:36 AM
Sounds fun :)

Lighten up sel ffs. :)

krjal
20th May 2005, 11:25 AM
@ Hydrus. 'power-blades' or whatever they were called would be a great idea!

They looked so cool in Q3...

rhirud
20th May 2005, 11:27 AM
I can see campers easily getting into obscure corners of the map, then whizzing from mountaintop to mountaintop.

Of course, it depends how it's implemented, but having people suddenly leap up and whizz away, and then start sniping from a distance might get very annoying.

Twisted Metal
20th May 2005, 01:15 PM
I think the game is becoming more console-like by the minute. Hoverboards are something that belong in a Tony Hawk game, not an FPS.

-AEnubis-
20th May 2005, 03:42 PM
I still think you guys need to consider the idea that they prolly won't be self propelled at all.

AntiMatter
20th May 2005, 04:52 PM
Yeh, maybe its just a way of adding more functunality to whats already happening in most ons games, people giving other people lifts on the manta e.t.c

Striker D
20th May 2005, 06:26 PM
Hoverboard for UT, sounds good to me! As long as I can run people over I'll be happy. And the ragdoll better be like pariah's where if you run somebody over they go flying rather than getting flattened to the ground.

T2A`
20th May 2005, 06:47 PM
Sounds cool to me, especially if it's not self-propelled and you have to find some way to get the thing moving like going downhill or maybe dodge and then whip it out of your back pocket, at which point it would move around at that speed until you get off or get another boost from behind somehow. You know, like overjumping in Q3, minus the skill in doing it. ;)

I hate walking around in Onslaught. It will be a welcome addition, I think.

shadow_dragon
20th May 2005, 07:56 PM
They said it's used for skitching rides off the back of over vehicles.
Sounds to me like a more sensible extension to the old manta riding. Instead of two people on teh manta fans a couple of people can grab onto the back with their hoverboards and get dragged into the warzone faster than they could've hoofed it.

I have no problems with the hover boards and i sincerely doubt that it'll turn the game into a pro skating fest. Just sounds like some handy transport that i imagine would go somewhere between walking and scorpion speed.

I'm suprised your so against the concept BooGity, i woudlv'e thought it'd be a usefull tool for jump tricking.

Olga
20th May 2005, 09:29 PM
They should make it both skitchable and slope propelled.

I can imagine there being a snow-board themed CTF map or something hehe.

shadow_dragon
20th May 2005, 09:44 PM
I don't see why a machine with force enough to propel itsef off the ground couldn't push itself forward.
I think using slope propulsion and such is a very silly idea and just plain impractacle. What's the point in taking the use of your weapons away from you if you can't even get any speed up over flats or going UP a slope. I can't personally imagine how it would work in that way though i could be wrong. It just sounds ridiculous.
May aswell give us toboggans.

Olga
20th May 2005, 10:05 PM
Maybe a chargable booster that starts it? I dunno

BooGiTyBoY
20th May 2005, 10:59 PM
Yeah I can see the trickjump possibilities... but I'd rather they have come up with something more ORIGINAL... that's my biggest beef.

Oh.. plus the fact that if I wanted to ski I would play Tribes.

Mulch_D
20th May 2005, 11:39 PM
Right now I'm imagining this a bit lik the ski's from Tribes V (haven't played any of the others), just without the ability to shoot while it's in use.

Discord
20th May 2005, 11:46 PM
I dunno man, that's pretty freakin' weird.

I'm definitely agreeing that ONS needs an answer to the xloc that isn't the same as the xloc -- particularly if map sizes go up and movement gets toned down -- but a hoverboard does seem just a wee bit... uh... well, goofy for lack of a better word.

I mean, couldn't they just acknowledge that playercounts turned out to be higher than they planned for and put more vehicles in the maps?

-AEnubis-
21st May 2005, 02:28 AM
I don't see why a machine with force enough to propel itsef off the ground couldn't push itself forward.

Because it's not a machine. The first workable concept hover boards did so by magnetism.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing T2A, but with some friction to slow you down, not 0. If you could ollie, then theoretically, you could maintain, near a wall, the "dodge" speed, by dodge > Hover > jump > wallkick > repeat.

With 0 friction, you could just dodge > hover, and be cruising at the dodges air speed for quite a long time, and then could only further accellerate down a hill, or grapple slinging off a manta, or reverse parasailing off of a Raptor.

In either case, it could be a balanced solution to something I definately see as a problem in vehicle gametypes... Not enough vehicles.

It would as well only really make sense in said gametypes too, because that is one place where hammer jumps may be more versitile, but not nearly effective enough as a mode of transport. Every try hammer jumping to the first node on Torlan? lol.... Hover boards in DM won't happen though, nor in CTF. I can personally promise you that.

iron12
21st May 2005, 06:19 AM
Oh brother.

How about a Segway.

Those thing are going to change the world in which we live, You know. :eek:

Discord
21st May 2005, 06:38 AM
Oh brother.

How about a Segway.

:lol::tup:

First, I thought "yeah there needs to be something." Then, I thought, "but the hoverboard = teh gheyness. So what else could you use to get the same effect?"

After that, Segway was one of the first things that popped into my head. :p

Rollerskates? :lol:

I dunno... but there's still got to be a better way.

The_Head
21st May 2005, 07:09 AM
A nice dirt bike. Get some huge air and pull off some tricks whiles fragging the enemy :D

Zarkazm
21st May 2005, 08:24 AM
Yeah I can see the trickjump possibilities... but I'd rather they have come up with something more ORIGINAL... that's my biggest beef.Yeah, just too many games use the old hoverboard concept. Just last week I was playing... wait, no. That game didn't have hoverboards at all. Or hoveranythings for that matter.
Didn't UC have some Hoverplatform? The model was in the leaked UT2k3 build. I didn't play UC, but I liked the concept. Give me hover-things. All sorts of hover-things.

FaT CaM
21st May 2005, 08:39 AM
I'd definatley like to see peopel being lifted up by Raptors and the ndropping down on the boards form a great height and cutting someone in half on imapct.

shadow_dragon
21st May 2005, 12:05 PM
Hover Boards make a lot of sense for personal transport i think. It'd be quick and easy to use and for the added speed there are disadvantages. (No weapons adn having to skitch on other peoples rides!)
I wouldn't want a game where there was a vehicle with a weapon on board for every player and niether can i imagine a simpler speed boost answer. You want originality? I personally haven't played any FPS games with hoverboards in as of yet and what would you have preferred? Jetpacks?

iron12
21st May 2005, 12:49 PM
Anarki in Quake III Arena had a hoverboard.

NeoNite
21st May 2005, 01:30 PM
And I think the Quake add-on "Malice" also included a hoverboard.

Edit: That was a retail add-on, released in 1998.

But I think Singe beat them to it, with his mod Slide (http://singe.telefragged.com/slide/)

BooGiTyBoY
21st May 2005, 01:47 PM
OH my other beef with it is if you do need to "skitch" to go anywhere.... they will be worthless on pubs as people take off in vehicles and dont even wait til' you grab an extra seat, hahaha.

shadow_dragon
21st May 2005, 02:34 PM
OH my other beef with it is if you do need to "skitch" to go anywhere.... they will be worthless on pubs as people take off in vehicles and dont even wait til' you grab an extra seat, hahaha.
I iamgine taht's why the boards are being added, to give a player the boost required to grab the skitch. I expect it's travelling speed will be just a little faster than normal walking and then there will be an equivalent of dodge/double jumping you can perform on it to boost you at the vehicle to skitch onto.

It'd be niec if you could skitch onto enemy vehicles too. I know no weapons are allowed but i'd so love to lay mines on the vehicles in that way. :D Far more fun than any Avril. I could see hoverboards being the perfect anti vehicle. (Shame that's not going to be their purpose but still.)

Because it's not a machine. The first workable concept hover boards did so by magnetism.
I would've thought that the first hoverboard were electro-magnetic and thus machines, though i could be wrong, i believe any hoverboard that's going to be in UT2007 is going to be a machine.... unless ofcourse they're Magic. They'll have either some sort of jet or electro magnetic explanation behind them if not something involving anti gravity or indeed miniature manta fans.

-AEnubis-
21st May 2005, 03:26 PM
Machines are defined by having fixed and moving parts, and electro-magnets require no moving parts, simply a magnet charged with an electrical current flowing through a wrapped coil. All it really is, is a more powerful magnet, and would possibly need to use multiple magnets in the board for stabilization.

Not as to say they couldn't/wouldn't include some kind of propulsion, but technically explaining how it isn't implied by the concept ;)

Dark Pulse
21st May 2005, 07:13 PM
Skitchin'... now that was a fun Genesis Game. :)

BooGiTyBoY
21st May 2005, 07:18 PM
http://www.futurehorizons.net/hoverboard.htm

shadow_dragon
21st May 2005, 09:10 PM
http://www.futurehorizons.net/hoverboard.htm

I had dibs on manta fans! :P

Machines are defined by having fixed and moving parts, and electro-magnets require no moving parts, simply a magnet charged with an electrical current flowing through a wrapped coil. All it really is, is a more powerful magnet, and would possibly need to use multiple magnets in the board for stabilization.

Not as to say they couldn't/wouldn't include some kind of propulsion, but technically explaining how it isn't implied by the concept ;)
Your quite right! For some reason everytime i think of electro magnets i isntantly think of vandegraph generators.

FireCrack
22nd May 2005, 01:04 AM
Spelled

Van-de-Graff Generator

-AEnubis-
22nd May 2005, 03:14 AM
Those hover boards are definately machines, and propelled no less.

Mr.Magnetichead
22nd May 2005, 05:29 AM
Anarkis hoverboard was only asthetic in Q3A. The UT2007 board actually has a purpose.

Personally I think it sounds great. BooGiTyBoY you seem to find it very easy to say 'come up with something original' well ok then, you come up with something. Right now. Come up with a mode of transport that would work like that, fit into the games world and is totally original.

-AEnubis-
22nd May 2005, 06:49 AM
Man's gotta point... This day and age, everything is derivative. Originality is purely subjective. Even the mighty ASMD was inspired by something else, and it's the most original piece in an FPS that I can think of.

Xipher
22nd May 2005, 01:59 PM
Man's gotta point... This day and age, everything is derivative. Originality is purely subjective. Even the mighty ASMD was inspired by something else, and it's the most original piece in an FPS that I can think of.

I think the Flak cannon was also very original (don't know of any other games at least) although it can be seen similar to a shotgun in one mode, the canasters is very original IMHO.

BooGiTyBoY
22nd May 2005, 02:01 PM
BooGiTyBoY you seem to find it very easy to say 'come up with something original' well ok then, you come up with something. Right now. Come up with a mode of transport that would work like that, fit into the games world and is totally original.

Where have you been? I came up with this one over a month ago...

http://img219.exs.cx/img219/15/olyps080p3copy1ir.jpg

:p

Anyways if someone decided to pay me for my ideas I'm sure I could come up with at least 10 different things that could be instituted in this game BETTER than a hoverboard thank you. ;)

In fact I would have rathered they used a modified version of the spider steroids mutator over this crap idea.

NeoNite
22nd May 2005, 02:05 PM
You know, the translocator?

I have this quake mod, called xwep (xoron weapons patch) made in 1997 iirc.
The weapons have 3-4 firing modes.
The grenade launcher has a teleportation mode. You simply lob a red "grenade" to the location you want to teleport to.

It takes 3 seconds I think, before you're being teleported.

You can instantly telefrag monsters with it,though. Lots of fun;

Not exactly the same as the UT trans, but still...

BooGiTyBoY
22nd May 2005, 02:14 PM
Trans would be too fast for a gametype like ONS or CON. At least in ONS it would make it way to easy to infiltrate the base node and would pretty much bork gameplay.
Not an option.

NeoNite
22nd May 2005, 02:26 PM
Boogityboy, seriously.. your previous avatar pwns the one you're using now ^_^

BooGiTyBoY
22nd May 2005, 02:30 PM
Briach made me that one and it's kind of a J2 thing.
Way to make someone feel good bout' something they made dude. ;)

NeoNite
22nd May 2005, 02:35 PM
Just being honest ^_^

Twisted Metal
22nd May 2005, 02:47 PM
Where have you been? I came up with this one over a month ago...

http://img219.exs.cx/img219/15/olyps080p3copy1ir.jpg

:lol: that is awesome! I would love to see that as a mutator in UT2004. :D

T2A`
22nd May 2005, 03:26 PM
I'm hoping you can hook up with all your teammates on hoverboards... It would be awesome to see a line of people being dragged behind a Manta like it had a tail.

-AEnubis-
22nd May 2005, 03:31 PM
...an awesome way to get a monster kill in a ciceda.

gregori
22nd May 2005, 05:23 PM
jump boots! and make them souped up with loads of functionality, gliding, sliding and trick jumping and all that cr#p! At least that be sticking more to the series i suppose________

SharKTanK
22nd May 2005, 05:43 PM
I'm hoping you can hook up with all your teammates on hoverboards... It would be awesome to see a line of people being dragged behind a Manta like it had a tail.I'm having yet more BttF2 flashbacks! :eek:

edhe
23rd May 2005, 05:47 AM
If it is the case that you have hoverboards that you can link onto vehicles with then it'd solve the imbalance between practiced clanners who can jump onto the mantas etc and get mass transportation vs the pubbers who can't.

Switch to huvb to link on = solved.

It's a nice idea, for ONS/CON only, and if there's good physics involved then it could be quite goddamn fun imo. Imagine piston jumping off the tower in torlan's bases to switch to a huvb and get a quick catch off a rising raptor before diving down at insane speeds over the map.

Sounds like it could enable newbs - a good thing - and remove the elitist mass transporting (although it's not that elitist, really) whilst also possibly being really rather serious amounts of fun :)

shadow_dragon
23rd May 2005, 10:20 AM
If it is the case that you have hoverboards that you can link onto vehicles with then it'd solve the imbalance between practiced clanners who can jump onto the mantas etc and get mass transportation vs the pubbers who can't.

Switch to huvb to link on = solved.

It's a nice idea, for ONS/CON only, and if there's good physics involved then it could be quite goddamn fun imo. Imagine piston jumping off the tower in torlan's bases to switch to a huvb and get a quick catch off a rising raptor before diving down at insane speeds over the map.

Sounds like it could enable newbs - a good thing - and remove the elitist mass transporting (although it's not that elitist, really) whilst also possibly being really rather serious amounts of fun :)

Exactly! Atleast they didn't choose to use a grappling hook! The oldest FPS cliche known to man!

-AEnubis-
23rd May 2005, 03:31 PM
oooh, another possible point... The board could be used to reduce fall damage.

...and now we know we have the piston in DM/CTF, so life is good.

shadow_dragon
23rd May 2005, 06:51 PM
Question is, is the hoverboard a vehicle that's parked up liek all the others or is it a pickup that you can wing out whenever the occasion takes you!

Xipher
23rd May 2005, 06:53 PM
Question is, is the hoverboard a vehicle that's parked up liek all the others or is it a pickup that you can wing out whenever the occasion takes you!
From what was mentioned, its the later, but when you wing it out, thats all you can use (takes up a weapon slot). you can't just throw it out, and then start firing off rockets as you go across the map.

Xaero_UT
23rd May 2005, 08:32 PM
honestly, if they do it cool...but right now, it sounds dumb, so u have to wait for a vehicle if there are none...big deal, if ure stuck on legs in ons, thats ur own problem...

that said, if it gets done...SWEET!

CloudConnected
24th May 2005, 12:10 AM
it would be cool if the map moved -- like a living and breathing map -- and you could use your frictionless hoverboard in lots of cool ways, by using moving parts situated around the maps.

Like hit this moving wheel right in the sweet spot and get launched up unto a 3 story tower nearby and like cheerleaders are like you are sooo hot! XD

They need to do more cool things with physics.

edhe
24th May 2005, 04:45 AM
From what was mentioned, its the later, but when you wing it out, thats all you can use (takes up a weapon slot). you can't just throw it out, and then start firing off rockets as you go across the map.
It's on-hand iirc, no other weapon whilst using it, like an xloc.

Dark Pulse
24th May 2005, 03:18 PM
It's on-hand iirc, no other weapon whilst using it, like an xloc.
Though with a little practice, the XLoc is a weapon too. :)

-AEnubis-
24th May 2005, 03:27 PM
In 2k4? A lot of practice.

Dark Pulse
24th May 2005, 03:43 PM
Yeah, it's a lot harder in 2k4. Probably due to it being skeletal hit collison now instead of a mere collison cylinder.

edhe
25th May 2005, 06:11 AM
Plus people like me like to shoot the disk out the air first. :B

-AEnubis-
25th May 2005, 06:54 AM
That is another one of those things I really need to think to do... I think I hit them like 1 in 3 times I try, but I rarely play loc gametypes anymore, so I rarely try....

I miss the trail-less loc... and loc DM.

[SHADOW|force]
26th May 2005, 05:25 PM
wher's your trust? I'm sure epic will make the hoverboard well (and I hope there will be a checkbox like the translactor one)

innociv
23rd Dec 2005, 12:13 PM
omg... would be funny having a manta swing you into someone and you get a kill that way.

If it's going to rely on you being pulled by other players i dont' see why you can't use a weapon while on it though..

I hope they at least let you move further from or closer to the vehicle or some kinda controll while being towed so you can run into people. I'd love someone to thin the manta missed them to have me swing around and decapatate them with the side of my hoverboard.

Yeah the hoverboard thing isn't that original, but the skiing is and i'm going to love it if they make it fun. I'm just worried about being easily killed, very vulnarable, no weapon and all..

Selerox
23rd Dec 2005, 02:20 PM
']wher's your trust?

It's been beaten to the floor time after time by Epic over the last few years. Epic need to pull off something amazing to get the trust back.

KoshiJoshi
23rd Dec 2005, 03:56 PM
Like I posted in the news thread, I'd like it to have some kind of energy/fuel limitation (kinda like how the translocator, and the SG for that matter, has been limited) to prevent excessive (abusive?) use of it.

I like that idea, but, what if your halfway to the action and your fuel cells run out?;)

Maybe they should have named it something else . Like "Falcon A39 MiniHovercraft 200"

Nah, most likely it will be called 'Axon standard issue rapid ground cover vehicle'(ASIRGCV, or shorten it further to ASIRG)but i agree just calling it hoverboard sounds dull:D