UT Teacher

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The0perator

May 17, 2005
k well i need some help with ut 2k4. skill wise im not a newb but i need help, my skill/time ratio is insane. well i need pointers and umm some 1 that i can lern from.

(i am a competitive gamer and preaty mutch every game i play i become very good at but like ut is just to different my traditional halo)

ps flame me all you want! i dont care.

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
Movement is very important in ut2k4; you must become very familar with the movement system. Use the shieldgun whenever you're not in an advantageous position. Always dodge-jump whenever not engaged. Practice aiming hitscan weapons. Lightning gun, shock, minigun. Never run straight at someone. Time pickups.

TDM and 1v1 is the way to get your skill up. UTComp's warmupmode is even better. I recommend you go to the TDM or 1v1 community to get lot's of reps and practice.

#2k4tdm on irc.enterthegame.com
type '.utv' for any upcoming utv events

Watching UTV is a good way to familarize yourself with ut2k4
Also watch some demos of good people playing.
look for anything kaizen checksix gravity cøn or big events http://www.cached.net/?go=*/demo/archive////50/game/UT2004 there are a lot of other good sites too but I'm too lazy to go look them up again.
http://ut2004.gameamp.com/recorded_game/viewRecordedGames

Last edited:

Dirdmister

Apr 12, 2004
Birmingham, England
dirdmister.bravehost.com
Watching demos can help you...if ur a competitive dueller watch a few demos of "pro's" on rankin, ironic, and roughinery...to see how they move around the map etc and then try to put it into practice.
For accuracy/reactions i propose go to www.google.com and search for curveball :) its a fun game and it keeps u on ur toes/finger tips in the later levels

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
This isn't a flaming-type forum - you needn't worry.

For DM - don't ask me - I'm useless at deathmatch. But if you want to learn to use onslaught vehichles - the first thing to learn is accurate driving. Taking a hellbender and a scorpion backward and forwards over the top bridge in Torlan is very good practice. You have do a handbrake turn - to go go backwards and forwards without hitting rocks.

To learn how to use a manta to squish, the best practice is vehichle invasion - you'll see a few servers around. You get to face loads of slow moving monsters - many who shoot shock balls- so avoiding the shock balls and mowing them over is a very good way to learn.

For simple target practice, there's always angel's target practice mutator that comes with the 2nd (or is it the first) - community bonus pack/. It sets up a clay pidgeon type launcher. Good for practice.

Then there's the tank. Point and shoot. Swivel the tracks and turret the same time to double the turret's rotational speed.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
The0perator said:
k well i need some help with ut 2k4. skill wise im not a newb but i need help, my skill/time ratio is insane. well i need pointers and umm some 1 that i can lern from.

(i am a competitive gamer and preaty mutch every game i play i become very good at but like ut is just to different my traditional halo)

ps flame me all you want! i dont care.

Well, I'll tell you right off that the learning curve for UT2004 is much much higher than that of halo. To truly be good, it takes a lot of time and practice.

First, you need to tell us a little more info.:
-Is there a particular gametype you prefer to play?
-Where are you located? If you're wanting someone to show you some things, we need to know where you're located so there's no conflicts in time differences.
-How long have you played UT2004?
-Are you looking to just be better at the Single Player game, or playing online?

Also, we have a weekly FragBU event. You can find a weekly thread about it at the top of these UT2004 forums. You're more than welcome to attend. The skill level ranges from average to very good. We run two servers. The Vipers server is the main server. Pretty much anything goes here. You can jump on there Fri or Sat night and ask if anyone wants to train you. The Ketnar server usually isn't as busy. It's more geared to the diehard players, but you'd probably have better luck finding someone willing to help you here. If someone is on this server, you should probably ask there first.

Welcome to BUF.

LooseCannon

... but it's not pink ... ooh yes it is!
Oct 27, 2004
Hampshire, UK
I certainly can't add anything to the above, except welcome to BuF. :wavey:

Oh.... Ren's done it already, but I missed at the bottom of his post. That's not to say I didn't read all of his fine words. :D ;)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Renegade Retard said:
-Are you looking to just be better at the single player game, or playing online?
The Single Player mode is impossible. While I can normally whoop up on Masterful bots, playing a good bit into a Masterful single player ladder has me facing Godlike+2 bots who never ever miss. It's dumb. And frustrating. That's probably another thing that turned people away and led to the game's low player counts, but that's another topic completely.

Coming from Halo, you're probably jaded into thinking that's how UT is, and that's not the case at all. There's a lot to learn with UT, whereas in Halo basically all you need to know is how to use the rocket launcher and pistol and bunny hop at the right time (haven't played Halo 2 multiplayer, but I'm sure it's same idea). With the crazy moves you can pull off in UT, the rocket launcher does not automatically dominate because it's easy to avoid. Thus, you have to change around your strategy for using it if you want to hit people with it. And that's just one of the things you've got to learn...

Watch some demos of the 1773 players and see what they're doing, then try to mimic it. I've heard it takes a month to become good (on an ownage level) at this game if you've got 1773 FPS skills already, but for the rest of us, it takes quite a bit longer and quite a bit of dedication. I've been playing UT2003/4 for two years now and I still get owned regularly. :eek:

So, basically, figure out what you need to work on, then try it over and over and over again until you can do it. Repetition will make you improve. Sorry we can't be more specific than that, but the game is way too deep for us to point out everything you've got to know, and a lot of it just comes from experience.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Turns2Ashes said:
Watch some demos of the 1773 players and see what they're doing, then try to mimic it. I've heard it takes a month to become good (on an ownage level) at this game if you've got 1773 FPS skills already, but for the rest of us, it takes quite a bit longer and quite a bit of dedication. I've been playing UT2003/4 for two years now and I still get owned regularly. :eek:
Great advice t, just one thing that I feel should be added. If you want to mimic the great players movement first you should know why they are doing what they are doing. Each movoement usually has a purpose, whiether it's for setting up a combo or making someone run away then killing them with a rocket launcher as the cross a small gap. Not understanding why you are doing somethng would be rather counter productive and will most likely make you end up respawning. :D

Also, it took me quite a bit longer to adapt to 2k3/2k4 style of gameplay, way more than a months worth or heavy practice even though I was playing UT since the initial demo release. :)

Oh,, now I've got an idea for a new thread. D:

m&ms

Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.
Jul 13, 2003
in a bag....duh
Visit site
I'm with ren on the "come to fragbu" tip. We probably play a lot of gametypes that you wouldn't be interested in, but it would be a good chance for us to gauge your skill and see what you need to learn.

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
If you feel like practicing with another noob to 2004 let me know. . .
I'm used to UT99 , much diferent game. . . . but i'm realy starting to get used to 2004 quickly.
I would love to have a learning buddy, lol
do you use Xfire at all?

*edit
long time wondering by the way . . . lol ,what is Fragbu?

Last edited:

gades

The Grudge Master!
Nov 20, 2004
Behind you biatch!!
Movements probably the most important thing you need to learn right now. Almost as important as all the weapons, since they all get used.

If you want an edge, get good with the lightning gun/sniper and shock rifle ASAP. Since the maps in ut2004 are large, and people can move so fast and retreat in a heartbeat, these guns are the main weapons all the good players use. They basically play most maps at long range with just those guns.

Weapons like the rockets and flak cannon are better in tighter maps (like Ironic) filled with a few players, using these gets you lots of multi-kills in maps like this, and is a lot of fun.

Keep in mind, you can switch weapons VERY quickly in this game. A popular tactic is one hit with the lightning gun (70 damage, 30 left remaining), then switch to the minigun to make shortwork of the remaining 30 health.

Good luck.
:cool:

The0perator

May 17, 2005
I know ut has a mutch bigger learning curve but you wouldnt know how big the lerning curve in halo 1 was. there was timing and power weapon blowing (throuw a grenade to a hard to get and power full weapon from a far location) any way thanks for all the help.

The0perator

May 17, 2005
Renegade Retard said:
Well, I'll tell you right off that the learning curve for UT2004 is much much higher than that of halo. To truly be good, it takes a lot of time and practice.

First, you need to tell us a little more info.:
-Is there a particular gametype you prefer to play?
-Where are you located? If you're wanting someone to show you some things, we need to know where you're located so there's no conflicts in time differences.
-How long have you played UT2004?
-Are you looking to just be better at the Single Player game, or playing online?

Also, we have a weekly FragBU event. You can find a weekly thread about it at the top of these UT2004 forums. You're more than welcome to attend. The skill level ranges from average to very good. We run two servers. The Vipers server is the main server. Pretty much anything goes here. You can jump on there Fri or Sat night and ask if anyone wants to train you. The Ketnar server usually isn't as busy. It's more geared to the diehard players, but you'd probably have better luck finding someone willing to help you here. If someone is on this server, you should probably ask there first.

Welcome to BUF.

1. umm for now i guess its death match since its preaty mutch useless playing team games with out a team.
2.montreal Quebec Canada eh! estern time
3.umm i got it last christmas but i dont play often but im surpisinly good at it. guess its just because im good at all fps's
4.single player is useless online is where the competition is.

im just triying to find a person or team willing to take under there wing/wings a average player with alot of potential.