PDA

View Full Version : How much should it cost?

kafros
17th May 2005, 02:48 PM
The first thing that comes to my mind is -1000$ (EPIC funds me to buy the computer needed to play the game)...

Since this is not going to happen in this universe:

I was thinking about 20$.

Don't get me wrong, the guys at EPIC are worth their weight in gold, but I believe this is a correct value for 2 reasons:
1. There are many out there that get pirated copies of the game for 10$ and would really consider 20$ for an original (hey kafros how do you know such info? have you bought such a copy yourself? )
2. Can't think of anything else but at least I have 2 reasons to back up my point.

What do you all think?

20$ going once...twice...

17th May 2005, 03:22 PM
That is just awful. You want them to add all this crazy game support stuff and then only charge 20$ D: I'm not paying additional costs after buying the game.
People will always pirate a game if they're pirates. People pirate games that cost 10$; it's just a mindset. I wouldn't be suprised if the reason game prices are so high today is to make up for the all the pirating going on. I think the regular version should be 40$ retail when it first comes out. And anyone who pays for a pirated game is an idiot. I willing to drop dollas for a quality game.

MrSmiles
17th May 2005, 04:16 PM
ya if the game is good i'll buy it from a store
they should just stick to the cd key for online play
i own 3 copies of ut2004, 2ece and 1 i got the day it came out (got a LAN so we play LAN games)

Ryans_Privates
17th May 2005, 05:04 PM
$50!

N@Sc
17th May 2005, 05:10 PM
45!

Taleweaver
17th May 2005, 05:20 PM
45!
+1

Strange...It's over a year, and I still remember how cheap UT2004 was: also 45.

If you want to go cheap enough to stop piracy, you should go below the price of the CD...Which isn't that realistic, considering people want a quality game.

FireCrack
17th May 2005, 07:30 PM
[angryish sarcastic sounding voice]

I DONT CARE!!!!!

[/angryish sarcastic sounding voice]

UnrealGrrl
17th May 2005, 08:01 PM
lowering the price doesnt stop ppl from bootlegging the game... theyll charge what they need to and ill buy it along with alot of other players. hopefully they will do something more fun with the packaging this time around too - Midway, we want swag :)

FireCrack
17th May 2005, 08:11 PM
I want my box to be edible :eek:

Xaero_UT
17th May 2005, 11:16 PM
I was thinking about 20$.

now i know u mean american, so thats round about $50 in aus

no way mate, (i dont know what ur games sell for in US, but in Aus i would expect that game from about $70-$80, as was 2004.

besides pirated copies suck, and whoever buys them...i hope it blows up their computer..

if im spending the money, id rather spend more to get a legit copy with the proper manual, my own cd key, etc, etc

cheers

Denny
17th May 2005, 11:46 PM
Originals have better grade of media and last longer than burned copies as well. But anyways, i'd expect it to be $50 as usual, and i'd be happy to give them that much for it.

krjal
18th May 2005, 01:57 AM
As long as it's not $99+ (aus) like those stupid console games!

Xipher
18th May 2005, 04:12 AM
$40-$50 US is fine with me, I wont bat an eye though if it goes $55. Epic does quality work, and as long as it doesn't cost to outlandish, I think they deserve the money. ;)

Mulch_D
18th May 2005, 05:02 AM
now i know u mean american, so thats round about $50 in aus

no way mate, (i dont know what ur games sell for in US, but in Aus i would expect that game from about $70-$80, as was 2004.

besides pirated copies suck, and whoever buys them...i hope it blows up their computer..

if im spending the money, id rather spend more to get a legit copy with the proper manual, my own cd key, etc, etc

cheers
:tup: lovely post +1 :tup:

JaFO
18th May 2005, 07:11 AM
I'd vote for 200+ ... provided it had a decent 500+ page manual for all the editors that come with it.
If it is just the game then 45 is about right.

Dark Pulse
18th May 2005, 07:34 AM
About the same as the rest did when they came out - $40.

Granted, I shelled out $60 for my edition of UT2004, but it was the special deluxe collector's DVD edition in that snazzy tin, headset, and VTE's. :)

Deus_Ex
18th May 2005, 07:45 AM
i think any where betwen 20 to 35 for CD and for DVD 20 to 45 ,$ or Euros in my own opion

Bazzi
18th May 2005, 07:51 AM
40 is just fine, Epic gets enoguh money in selling the engine, dont need to rip off us customers as well...

Deus_Ex
18th May 2005, 07:57 AM
ya thats ture

pine
18th May 2005, 10:50 PM
$50 is fine with me, if that means they will put more money into developing a good game rather than developing a tech demo to showcase the engine, which I think is the only good way for large-scale PC developers to make decent money these days given the astronomically rising cost of development for a cutting-edge game.

BooGiTyBoY
18th May 2005, 11:45 PM
You guys are bitching about $50 for a new game...

I must be having an "old' moment haha.

I remember when Pac-Man came out on Atari 2600 and it was like $99

Dark Pulse
19th May 2005, 03:39 AM
You guys are bitching about $50 for a new game...

I must be having an "old' moment haha.

I remember when Pac-Man came out on Atari 2600 and it was like $99
And let's not forget... it sucked ass. ;)

kafros
19th May 2005, 07:18 AM
I am really surpsised that none of you thinks that 40-50$ is a bit much for a computer game (my name is scrooge) even if it is the top of the tops.

In terms of value/(hours of joy) it scores much better than other forms of entertainment (e.g. cinema) but is that enough to justify the price?

Bot_40
19th May 2005, 10:02 AM
I got over 3 years of pretty much constant play out of the original UT and I actually feel quite ashamed that I only paid 15 for it :hmm:
I bought the special edition of UT2k4 for 50 and I'm quite happy to pay that much again and support epic. Even UT2k3 (sorry, not supposed to mention that :p) was actually still better than 99% of the crap that's released nowadays.

NeoNite
19th May 2005, 10:52 AM
I remember how much Quake3 and UT costed when they were released.

Q3 was almost 50
UT was 46 iirc..

Now when I check the store, most new FPS games cost over 50

Doom3 costs 54.95 iirc
Hl2 .. almost the same.

UT2003 wasn't that cheap either in 2002. When I checked for UT2004, same.

20$, what a joke. As if.

The new UT should end up at about 50-54 here.
Maybe slightly more.

Lauren
19th May 2005, 11:23 AM
56,95 Euro/Dollar

LP
19th May 2005, 03:48 PM
why are we even talking about this, who gives a crap, just buy it. All modern games cost roughly the same anyway

Discord
19th May 2005, 03:56 PM
I bet by then $60 US will be the going rate for a new game. Plus, they won't have the guilt factor from having recycled content in UT2k7.

Whatever it is, though, it'll be peanuts to what I'm likely to spend on hardware so it doesn't matter that much to me.

kafros
20th May 2005, 12:44 AM
why are we even talking about this, who gives a crap, just buy it. All modern games cost roughly the same anyway

This forums' mambers (me included) will buy the game for any price. We will even buy the hardware needed to play it...

But not every gamer is a hardcore FPS player or a UT addict. A lower price can bring more people into the game which is what we should all want.

So 20$ anyone? (apart from cliffyB)

pine
20th May 2005, 03:57 AM
Discord']I bet by then $60 US will be the going rate for a new game. Plus, they won't have the guilt factor from having recycled content in UT2k7.

Whatever it is, though, it'll be peanuts to what I'm likely to spend on hardware so it doesn't matter that much to me.

NO kidding. The real cost is gonna be teh $500 I will spend on hardware so I can play it.

N@Sc
20th May 2005, 04:09 AM
This forums' mambers (me included) will buy the game for any price. We will even buy the hardware needed to play it...
uh,. . no.. . im not going to spend 500 bucks on new hardware just to play 1 new generation game, i only care about the entertainment games have to provide so im good with older games if my comp can't handle new games like ut2007. . .

AVP
21st Aug 2005, 11:59 AM
It should cost $59.99 cause the game is huge and all the other crap. :D

Rask
23rd Aug 2005, 01:04 PM
45!I'd say this would be good enough. :)

Vault
23rd Aug 2005, 02:03 PM
it should cost 2 cents!!

and thats my 2 cents....

Neophoenix
23rd Aug 2005, 02:50 PM
50$ US would make me happy. It wouldn't jip them from their hard work, and it would still be cheaper than most games out on the market. :) :tup:

O.S.T
23rd Aug 2005, 03:38 PM
80 DM
(yes, I hope that germany goes back to the mark in 06/07)

Wowbagger
23rd Aug 2005, 03:55 PM
I dont care, i know ill get my moneys worth whatever they charge me.

Rockett
26th Aug 2005, 04:53 PM
I would say between $40-$50 USD would be fine. I'll prolly have to wait awhile for it anyways...Unless I start saving now....hmmmm....GOOD IDEA lol

Rockett

NeoNite
26th Aug 2005, 05:31 PM
Nothing. I'll just beat the store clerk to a bloody pulp... and make sure he won't be passing out...and give me the game, and I run away... on an african swallow I'll go to.. somewhere else.

So, for free.

Juguard
3rd Sep 2005, 09:45 AM
It will be a full priced game. Around $54 for original version, who know how much for Special Edition.

Neophoenix
3rd Sep 2005, 10:15 AM
Didn't games use to cost $40 US? God I hate inflation. :tdown: :shake:

EL BOURIKO
3rd Sep 2005, 01:53 PM
I got over 3 years of pretty much constant play out of the original UT and I actually feel quite ashamed that I only paid 15 for it :hmm:
I bought the special edition of UT2k4 for 50 and I'm quite happy to pay that much again and support epic. Even UT2k3 (sorry, not supposed to mention that :p) was actually still better than 99% of the crap that's released nowadays.

I agree, if I look on how much the game cost me per hour since i bought it, I am at about 50 Euros / 500 hours = 0.10 euros per hour.
Well that sounds kind of not expensive for me for such high quality...

(I know that many people will flame this following line, but anyway that s the way I feel so...)

...that s the reason why I agree to pay an higher price if they garantee some cheat free servers, some coherent and stable stats server, and of course most important of all, a game that remains at least the same fun to play.

Neophoenix
3rd Sep 2005, 02:54 PM
I agree, if I look on how much the game cost me per hour since i bought it, I am at about 50 Euros / 500 hours = 0.10 euros per hour.
Well that sounds kind of not expensive for me for such high quality...

(I know that many people will flame this following line, but anyway that s the way I feel so...)

...that s the reason why I agree to pay an higher price if they garantee some cheat free servers, some coherent and stable stats server, and of course most important of all, a game that remains at least the same fun to play.

Well put that way I don't mind the increase, because atleast they aren't robbing you like those MMORPG's do. I think its like $25 to buy then between $5-$15 per month that is compleat BS. I don't even buy games like that because I know its compleat BS.

gregori
3rd Sep 2005, 03:45 PM
Current price of games is completely unjustified!

nELsOn
8th Sep 2005, 02:12 PM
NO kidding. The real cost is gonna be teh $500 I will spend on hardware so I can play it.

lol... that's more like it i guess.
40-50$ or euros like in my case are ok with me. i would prefer an american import though because it's just more stylish in a REAL box than in a small dvd case :(
it just feels better to hold that box in my hands than such a small dvd case...
so in the end i might even get a limited edition

Swerto
8th Sep 2005, 02:15 PM
50$ and i'll buy it on release day gauranteed!!!! i might still if its 60$

US BTW

Twisted Metal
9th Sep 2005, 02:57 PM
PC games should never be as expensive as console games, though these days they pretty much all are. So I say $40.

If it is $50+ though, I hope it comes with an actual hard shelled DVD case rather than those paper CD holders.

Neophoenix
9th Sep 2005, 03:35 PM
PC games should never be as expensive as console games, though these days they pretty much all are. So I say $40.

If it is $50+ though, I hope it comes with an actual hard shelled DVD case rather than those paper CD holders.
Yeah, It's like the prices keep increasing, but the quality packages and instructions decrease, It's really lame.

Mr.Magnetichead
10th Sep 2005, 05:39 AM
What kind of social situation breeds this kind of dumb?

Swerto
10th Sep 2005, 06:58 AM
Yeah i say 40-60 cuz i'm getting the DVD version... less discs

tool
10th Sep 2005, 10:00 AM

OOH GOD THE ****ING IRONY IN THIS POST JUST MADE ME CLAW MY EYES OUT

EL BOURIKO
10th Sep 2005, 10:30 AM
OOH GOD THE ****ING IRONY IN THIS POST JUST MADE ME CLAW MY EYES OUT

I am damn shortsighted... what have you written?

Neophoenix
10th Sep 2005, 06:34 PM
I don't know. You were born so why not ask your parents, I'm sure they can tell you how you were conceived. :lol:

utw-Mephisto
11th Sep 2005, 05:33 PM
Pre-Order for not even 30€ (http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=PC&title=601818&source=908)

Dont take the release date too serious though ..

Neophoenix
11th Sep 2005, 08:37 PM
Pre-Order for not even 30 (http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=PC&title=601818&source=908)

Dont take the release date too serious though ..
Don't you find it a bit suspicious that play.com is the ONLY place on-line that you can preorder Unreal Tournament 2007. Not only that, but that it's so cheap. Plus it's a UK site, don't you think American sites would get the low down on UT2007 before other countries considering the companies behind UT2007 are US based? I wouldn't run off ordering that from play.com if I were you.

zupafly
12th Sep 2005, 01:32 AM
I think that it isnt do-able for a game company to sell the game at such a low price, specially not when investing in such brand new engine abilities. It is idd hard for younger gamers to cough up money to buy games and even stay updated on their hardware.

I surely hope epic doesnt go the way of only 20 $ for the game and pay monthly because I'm not willing to do that.

For me 50 euro for the game wont be to much. I will buy it for that price.

Im a mod developer and I think epic's support is the best for making mods I have seen so far. The udn site and the community is very nice as are mod making contests "Make something unreal". Im hoping they will have this contest for ut2007 as well.

I can hardly wait to begin modding for ut2007. The posibilities are very large.

I too have to buy a new pc for this and I'm willing to spend around 1300 $ to upgrade my system since I want to develop games (need decent pc for it imho) and play games high quality way.

Greetz

nELsOn
13th Sep 2005, 08:02 AM
Im a mod developer and I think epic's support is the best for making mods I have seen so far. The udn site and the community is very nice as are mod making contests "Make something unreal". Im hoping they will have this contest for ut2007 as well.

i hope ut2k7 comes with updated versions of the tools that came with ut2k4.
i'm looking forward to new possibilities in unrealed.