Teaching/Time Overseas

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
I've been thinking about spending next year overseas before coming back to school, possibly teaching English. Problem is that that sort of job tends to require a BA, or at least some degree, which I don't have yet. Does anyone here know of any opportunities to teach or work overseas that don't require a degree? I speak some French and a bit less Japanese, but I'm not limiting myself to either country. Any input on this from anyone with any related experience would be much appreciated.

The_Pikeman

Also known as Howski
Nov 20, 2001
Caerphilly, Wales
Visit site
My freind has recently done this ..... I'd say think very carefully about it as his (and others I've talked to) have not been impressed. I think it mostly depends on what company you go for. Avoid GEOS. You can do a course that allowes you to do it over here but I think it costs.
-How.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
My bosses daughter and her fiance has been doing this very I believe 4 or maybe 5 years. They love it. I know she does not have a BA but she did some special course for it.

They work in South Korea teaching young children english. They are treated very well and get to see a lot of the different countries in that part of the world.

I don't believe they deal with any single company. They have no problem finding work.

The only complaint I heard was you do not have a choice where to live and some apartment complexs had very poor internet hook ups.

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
I wasn't necessarily expecting internet at all. I'm really interested in as much cultural immersion as possible; the last thing I want is to be a tourist.

I've been looking at Japan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs site all day, and I can't find anything that allows Americans to come over for work holiday. That really only leaves me getting hired by a company, which is not impossible, but my Japanese isn't good enough to get me hired for anything (the big schools require Japanese comprehension; the smaller stuff like cram schools, which is what I had in mind, don't). If you can get me any information on how they've been doing it (where they've found work ahead of time to sexure visas, what that requires, etc), I would be unimaginately grateful.

Also, if you or anyone else knows of other countries that have amenable work holiday programs (or anything that would allow me to live overseas, get a visa for a year, and work) and can offer any information, I would really, really appreciate it.

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
Australia does. All the commonwealth countries do, actually. You guys enjoy some very nice arrangements with foreign countries, unlike the US, which only offers me working holiday programs with, ironically, commonwealth countries. Pretty worthless when I want immersion in a foreign culture and language. I'm not sure what to do, at the moment.

Taque

Custom User Title
Dec 3, 2002
PARIS
www.mpclan.com
I saw that you spoke French. IF you're thinking about doing this in France (which a grotesque number of people do, many who speak HORRIBLE French), plan it out a good 6 months ahead. You need to get a series of paperwork and then go through various other processes to work here which might seem less than obvious, which I won't go into unless you're interested. :p

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
I haven't spoken French in four years. I would say I am just a wee bit rusty. Definitely could pick it up again, and I would like to, but I wouldn't bank anything on my ability to speak it now. It's more that I like both of the languages, like the countries they come from, and wouldn't mind spending time in either and fully learning the language. Opportunities to do that sort of exist in Japan; I'm not sure about France, though, and I was hoping to be able to get this going in about three months, not six.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
Don't come to France, you'll end up spending 10 months here and not be able to say anything besides "enculé" and "un menu BigMac s'il vous plait" like taque.

Taque

Custom User Title
Dec 3, 2002
PARIS
www.mpclan.com
In fact, don't come to France for the enculés like ant, here. 3 months from now? Most of the English teaching here in France is done in grade schools, so that probably wouldn't work anyway. However, learning French (other than from the pétasse locals :p) is very easy to do through courses, as well as private tutors.

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
I'm not worried about learning French. I was just hoping to be able to live there for a year doing whatever, saving a small amount of money. However, the French have even less set up with the US than the Japanese.

Taque

Custom User Title
Dec 3, 2002
PARIS
www.mpclan.com
I'm unsure about the Japanese connections, but you get jobs teaching English (among other ways) directly from the US Consulate here in Paris. However, knowing the French bureaucracy a little bit, you might be best off taking -one- course in French or something to make yourself a student, which gets you MANY benefits here.