PDA

View Full Version : Submarines anyone?

Ryans_Privates
15th May 2005, 05:36 PM
How about an underwater game? Ya I know there are maps that take place under water and maps that are underwater but Id like to see submarines well miniature subs to be exact, that the players actually would fight with and they also would be able to get out of the subs and attack on foot or swim. I know a lot of people would say that it would play to slow underwater but everyone in that type of game would have special gear on that would allow them to move much faster than you normally would with out the gear on.

Bullet10k
15th May 2005, 05:56 PM
maybe

Lauren
15th May 2005, 06:11 PM
Yeah looks cool to ;)

SanitysEdge
15th May 2005, 08:25 PM
What about just water units in general? UT2004 doesnt have any (Well, there is 1 mod, I think)

An aircraft carrier would be kick-ass.

Majik
15th May 2005, 09:11 PM
It has already been discussed here:

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=157464

Ryans_Privates
15th May 2005, 09:32 PM
sorry didn't know

Majik
15th May 2005, 09:53 PM
Well, it's understandable since the thread title was a bit vague.

Anyway, I don't think Epic should add underwater vehicles just for the purpose of having them. Besides maps would require a large amount of water for them to be useful and unless there's a target/objective in or near the water, then I don't see the point. I'd suspect they'd end up like a gimmick feature much like the spacefighters if they were to be included.

Dark Pulse
15th May 2005, 11:04 PM
Underwater vehicles would be interesting, but they'd need a good map to use them in. If they're just tossed in willy-nilly, they're ****ed.

A Good idea would be a ONS Map where the nodes are in Airlocks of some kind, and a dual door system works to allow entry in and out. You'd Swim into the first door, it would seal, water would be pumped out, and the other door would open.

moonflyer
16th May 2005, 05:30 AM
whoops, just saw this thread a few second after i'd posted mine:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=159009

G.Lecter
16th May 2005, 12:36 PM
I like the idea, but I wouldn't like to have underwater zones in every map... They are not a good place to fight everyone (movement is too slow and it's a pain getting out of them if you lose your vehicle...). Underwater could work much better as an alternative path to attack an objective... Seing this in some Conquest maps would be cool... :)
Having only one water vehicle is boring. I think 2 is OK, one of them could be driven through land too... And what about an underwater turret? ;)

Ryans_Privates
16th May 2005, 06:45 PM
I like the idea, but I wouldn't like to have underwater zones in every map...

I didn't say for every map!

They are not a good place to fight everyone (movement is too slow and it's a pain getting out of them if you lose your vehicle...).

I brought this up so that they would make it possible to move faster like I said in the post above!

I know a lot of people would say that it would play to slow underwater but everyone in that type of game would have special gear on that would allow them to move much faster than you normally would with out the gear on.
What I wanted was to make it possible to play under water at a faster rate and also make it possible to get in and out of vehicles with no problems.

Underwater could work much better as an alternative path to attack an objective... Seeing this in some Conquest maps would be cool... :)
Having only one water vehicle is boring. I think 2 is OK, one of them could be driven through land too... And what about an underwater turret? ;)
It wouldn't be boring if the vehicles were super fast and sorry for not coming up with other underwater vehicles but I assumed that they would make more. I said mini-subs and I just thought that people would come up with other ideas, maybe some type of air-plain that turns into an underwater-plain like the ones found in that movie Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow.

gregori
17th May 2005, 08:10 AM
make the frigate in as frigate a vehicle that you can move control for conquest islandy maps,
give it an ion cannon aswell

JonAzz
17th May 2005, 03:29 PM
I was going to make a AS map for ut2004 with water. only problem was that I needed someone to code the boats as it would be a pain to get it setup correctly.

you would start out in a sort of carrier, launch off from there then go and assault a fort. complete with artilery and missiles :D
any volunteers?

CloudConnected
17th May 2005, 03:32 PM
there should be swimiming suits so when the girls get in water they turn to bikinis and stuf ^_^

FireCrack
17th May 2005, 08:27 PM
As i said before, the raptor should conver to a sub when entering water.

gregori
18th May 2005, 08:04 AM
that not a half bad idea, infact they could have so the wings on it fold in, and it turns into a submarine like ball that wizzes trough water, waters under used in ut2kx

edhe
18th May 2005, 09:50 AM
I was going to make a AS map for ut2004 with water. only problem was that I needed someone to code the boats as it would be a pain to get it setup correctly.

you would start out in a sort of carrier, launch off from there then go and assault a fort. complete with artilery and missiles :D
any volunteers?
There are other vehicles available for download, such as a hover APC.

Kabs-BUB
20th Oct 2005, 10:13 PM
if in the arcti, people turn into people with swimsuits, wouldn't they be frozen??:lol:
torpedo anyone?? or the AVRiL??:D

klasnic
24th Oct 2005, 05:09 PM
It'd be good for an AS(2k4) or Conquest(2k7) map. Underwater's cool :)

Then again so would an AtomBomb at least with that I might notch up some frags.

*Here's hoping*

Kabs-BUB
24th Oct 2005, 11:35 PM
hey bub, underwater is great, except the use of lightning guns:D and guns that fire bullets-they would be slowed down.eh??
everyone would then be in slow-mothin and sniping...:rockon::rockon:

Olga
25th Oct 2005, 01:24 AM
Then again so would an AtomBomb at least with that I might notch up some frags.There is, Epic is just sneaky and named it after a church.

Jrubzjeknf
25th Oct 2005, 12:09 PM
I'm liking the idea of an amphibious vehicle. That way certain parts of a map cannot be reached without swimming or using that vehicle (considering that there are no air vehicles or you simply can't fly to it)

Neophoenix
25th Oct 2005, 01:23 PM
I would love to have amphibious vehicles, both for above water and below. It would add a whole new dimension to UT2007. Kind of like the air tanks did for UT99.

Zaccix
25th Oct 2005, 01:24 PM
I'd love to see underwater vehicles and combat in the next UT, but you have to consider how to fit them into the game.

An underwater map would have to be pretty big to balance the open nature of water, even if the vehicles (and maybe players) could move faster. The map would also have to be carefully designed and avoid too many wide-open areas (it'd be a framerate-killer, and would become boring quite fast without places to hide in or behind). Also, would underwater combat be its own gametype with maps, or included as an existing gametype's map?

There's also game balance to think about. A purely-underwater map would need new vehicles and possibly new player armour (at least to make it believeable that players can now breathe underwater). A land/water combination would have to take into account the balance between airborne, land and underwater vehicles, and how they affect each other.

Judging from past UTs, unless underwater combat is a big selling point of UT2k7 (possibly with an accompanying gametype), if included it'd probably be just a couple of maps with assets (vehicles, code for underwater play etc.), just to show modders what can be done and give them the tools to take it further. But, even if the code was only sneakily included into 2k7 as a "modder's surprise", it'd be better than not having it at all.

[IrT]-Lance
17th Nov 2005, 12:42 AM
As for coding of water vehcs (im no genius at codes these are just suggestions):

For a sub, (im speaking in laymans terms here so bear with me) take a raptor's code, make it so it could go underwater, make it not harmed by water, and not unable to leave water.

For a boat, take a manta's code, make it so it didnt float as high and, it so it didnt turn where u looked ( well, you could if you want one of those weird boats) and make it so it stopped on land.

What do you think, eh>\? i make it sound easier than it really is but hey, thats for coders to decide...