PDA

View Full Version : Two questions about perfomance

Annonymous_mapper
15th May 2005, 03:18 PM
If I use lots of custom 512 x 512 textures on my UT99 map will be heavy to play?

second question: What's is the difference of having dozens or more than a hundread scripted pawns (monsters) placed all over the map, or having them be spawned in the map using triggers and factories?

XepptizZ
15th May 2005, 05:18 PM
Triggers and factories VS placing them don't really have a different impact, but with factories you can make them keep comin after the old ones are pwnd.

As for the extures, 512x512 will be a bit more strain on the ones with less memory. Otherwise it shouldn't effect it that much.

I'm not sure, but I also think that when a texture repeates it's self a lot over a surface it will be a bigger strain then you might imagin. And downscaled surfaces will mean that the lightmap will be more detailed, taht's a big strain on the CPU.

Always remember to merge surfaces.

ReD_Fist
11th Jun 2005, 12:57 AM
If I use lots of custom 512 x 512 textures on my UT99 map will be heavy to play?

second question: What's is the difference of having dozens or more than a hundread scripted pawns (monsters) placed all over the map, or having them be spawned in the map using triggers and factories?

Nah ya don't want to do that.

Basicaly speaking they invented the factories so it's much more practical to do exactly that,place pawns all over the map.

But also if you have some in your map like a single player map you can place them and trigger them,but the cpu overhead and load time and file size of map ,after a while placing too many is not good.

Also you could make a choice,like when you place a pawn you will see it standing there,perhaps a long sniper shot.

But,spawning, you could walk in a room,nothing there,walk into the trigger,and have like 7 drop out of the cieling or trigger when door mover slams shut behind you .

Use 7 factories but only use it for 1 spawn,rather than trying todo a monster hunt type of spawning.
I have tried to spawn all kinds of actors,and it will spawn allmost anything it seems,like health,pawns,projectiles,all sorts of stuff i tried.

As the texture goes,use a bigger one for areas you want to look the best,or other certain spots,then use smaller ones for the rest.

Bot_40
11th Jun 2005, 08:04 AM
Ya, carefull with the texture sizes. UT wasn't designed for large textures. Make sure you only use 512x512 on very large areas. Terrain is a good example - rock/grass. 256 is much better for other stuff.
And make sure you [/b]ALWAYS[b] set a detail texture for all your custom textures.