Unreal Engine 3...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Do you think the community can handle the new expectations?

• Yes, though I am not a modeler I have faith that the artists of our community can do it.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • No, though I am not an modeler, I doubt today's modelers will be able to hold up the new standard.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Yes, I am a modeler/artist, and I believe we can do it.

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • No, I am a modeler/artist, and I don't think we can produce work of such outstanding quality.

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

Steyr

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Apr 1, 2005
On the internets
I was wondering, with the huge amount of detail allowed in unreal engine 3, do you think that modders will be able to match the quality of the graphics that come with the game? While new technology such as virtual displacement mapping gives new freedom to artists, it also presents a higher standard of quality. Do you think today's community will be able to present content that does not look amaturish in comparison to the proffesionally made models that epic will be using in their games?

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
It will be perfectly possible but only by a small percentage of the community. The majority and thus the community in general wont be able to keep up I think. They already have trouble doing so right now. The gap in between the 2 groups will be bigger

Lauren

Powered By ZΛLMΛN
Apr 25, 2005
DM_Rankin
Voted 3nd

erm yes we can do its high poly but now you can work longer on something and about scripting Epic says its gonna be easyer and better than the other unreal games.

Lauren

Powered By ZΛLMΛN
Apr 25, 2005
DM_Rankin
SanitysEdge said:
Voted 2 :(

To me, it doesnt appear that most `artists' can hold up to UT2004/3's standards, well, model/texture-wise atleast. Most mappers make pretty good maps.

Hmmz yeah i know the ball is easy to make but im a designer and loads of models can be done nice you only need to spendt more time on it this ball whas done in 33 mins without render ;)

its for my BR mod for UT2007
bombor3lf.jpg

menelik_seth

a.k.a 'Youngblood'
Voted 3rd. I'm self-teachin to model using 3Dmax; and origionally started out gearing myself towards CG film making. But UT2k7 looks like it will support highly detailed models, so I will definitly be giving it a look.

It'll be more demanding, in a way... but I think we can all be up for the challange.

Steyr

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Apr 1, 2005
On the internets
Hourences said:
It will be perfectly possible but only by a small percentage of the community. The majority and thus the community in general wont be able to keep up I think. They already have trouble doing so right now. The gap in between the 2 groups will be bigger
I think that yeah, the gap will widen a lot, but I also think that even newer modelers should still be able to model pretty decent inorganic objects, and the organic objects will be left to the elite few. :)

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
Frankly, I'd rather do inorganic objects. When you make a high poly character for your normal map, it's easier to just throw it in a sub division modifier/nurb.

It'd be nice if we could get a little starter from epic though. Right now what I'd really like is, if not the skeleton, a 2d picture of the skeletons that we can lay under our early models...

JonAzz

UA Mapper
Aug 1, 2003
North of Philadelphia
I can't do characters at the moment... and do not really plan on doing them anytime soon. making the details and other variuos things is what I like doing, but I do not think it will get that difficult. in fact it might get easier... right now we have to worry about polygon limits and then with the polygon limit how it will look in game and then with lighting thrown over that. with the engine all you need to do is make a semi low base outline model then make another model which can have pretty much no polygon limit, make a normal map of it onto the lower poly one and its done. the lighting works out in game and there is no worry if you are over the poly limit.

same pretty much goes to player/characters models, just now more attention has to be played to detail for the normal map...

Liverslapper

Slappin' Livers
May 11, 2005
Wyoming
The Unreal 3 Engine is gonna bring us things we never had a chance to do or never had the oppurtinity to try out.

The Unreal 3 Engine's graphic details will but modders and mappers/modelers to the test in creating a very detailed and realistic creativity in weapons, maps skins ect.

The Unreal 3 Engine is my most anticipated thing this year for E3, i am wanted to see the trailer for Unreal Tournament 2007 because its gonna show all of us what its capable of. And Epic is gonna show that and i will soil myself

Epic has always been about the communtiy and the mods are a great thing. I hightly doubt that Epic will give us something that we are not able to handle, that would be the greatest downfall in UT History because UT is the most active in modding and designing. Epic just can't give us something so great and we can't handle it? I am sure that we will be able to handle it but its gonna be awesome. The texture details are down to the scaps and cuts of armor. And i am sure that there will be amazing mods and detailed maps and weapons to be soon created using the Unreal 3 Engine.

For me its the most anticipated graphic advancement in gameing history. The Unreal 3 Engine.

Last edited: