PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Editor

OutlawSkot33
14th May 2005, 07:36 PM
I seriously hope the god damn thing is stable and not so god damn bugy as Version 3....V1 and 2 were pefectly stable and excellent, but V3 is annoying, bugy and crashes for any reason it can find....I hope UT2k7's will be stable..dont you...

Angel_Mapper
14th May 2005, 08:02 PM
I've rarely had any problems with 2k3/4's editor. What are your specs/OS?

OutlawSkot33
14th May 2005, 08:40 PM
Specs, a basic Dell desktop. except for 256mb Ram and Pentium 4 3.4Ghz. Angel, Im pretty sure your not gonna have problems, if im correct, your able to afford a computer that people like me who cant find a job cant afford... O well Im pissed with UED, two times within 90min UED crashed while vertex editing......

moonflyer
14th May 2005, 08:41 PM
1) i hope epic to fix the crash bug when i try to set visibility of the terrain polygons along the trim
2) and i hope they can implement the instant playtest function. just hit a button and you can playtest your map in the ued from your current camera position. this is really useful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as for a professional editor

Angel_Mapper
14th May 2005, 09:46 PM
No, you're not correct. I'm looking for a job as well. :p

If you can, get more RAM. 256 isn't enough for mapping.

As for vertex editing, try not to combine vertices too much, the editor doesn't like that. :y5:

BmB23
15th May 2005, 08:24 AM
Funny... I heard v3 being the most stable yet.

Radiosity
15th May 2005, 08:49 AM
Yup. Only time it ever crashes is when I do something stupid, and that's not often ;) Stable and powerful system = stable editor, simple as that. Oh, and it helps to know what not to do as well :)

The_Head
15th May 2005, 12:47 PM
O well Im pissed with UED, two times within 90min UED crashed while vertex editing......

You think thats bad. I gave up completely on a map 75% complete because every time I tried to change a texture on the terrain UED would lock up.
Haven't really bothered mapping since then, (mainly because of time though)

The bug with the crashs when making terrain invisible drove me nuts too. I think my computer just hates terrain.......

OutlawSkot33
15th May 2005, 03:33 PM
My UED will crash for ANY reason. I added a brush and UED crashed on me.

Dark Pulse
15th May 2005, 10:41 PM
The system does help, though I heard UEd4 (As it will presumably be) is being rewritten so Mac, Linux, and PC users can all make maps.

This kind of thing is pretty damn uncommon, if not a first.

Dragon_Myr
15th May 2005, 10:58 PM
I can't wait to see what the new Ued will be like, but I have a feeling there will be so many new options it will take a while to figure it out....quite some time at that. Hopefully it's not complicated enough to make me go get new VTM's, but hey I have no problem supporting 3dBuzz again if it comes to that. :) I like my big red book and videos.

Anyway, I've never had Ued 3 crash on me unless something was missing from the map or I did something stupid. 768 or 1024 mb of ram is essential for mapping though.

KirinRiotCrash
15th May 2005, 11:12 PM
I actually heard that the editor will finally be cross-platform and rewritten in xWindows/xWidgets ... I sure hope that's true. That's the only reason why I'm still needing a Windows PC for texture compiling and the sort.

T2A`
16th May 2005, 01:12 AM
UEd3 is quite stable for me. Usually the only time it crashes is when I do something dumb like tell a texture to diffuse itself. I have had trouble with the terrain visibility tool, though. Seemed it kept crashing when trying to draw the tool circle on polygons outside the bounds of the terrain. However, it doesn't do that all the time, as it sometimes bounds itself like the other tools. Strange.

I, personally, do not care if the program is buggy for screwups so long as it's filled with content like the current version. Why waste time fixing bugs that only pop up because of user error? They have more important things to work on.

Xipher
16th May 2005, 03:38 AM
I actually heard that the editor will finally be cross-platform and rewritten in xWindows/xWidgets ... I sure hope that's true. That's the only reason why I'm still needing a Windows PC for texture compiling and the sort.

its wxWidgets (http://www.wxwidgets.org), but yes, it is going to be crossplatform, as well as the fact its been completely recoded.

KirinRiotCrash
16th May 2005, 03:42 AM
That was was it! Thanks Xipher ... I knew it had a w or an x in it ... I wasn't sure which one. Thanks.

Xipher
16th May 2005, 04:11 AM
That was was it! Thanks Xipher ... I knew it had a w or an x in it ... I wasn't sure which one. Thanks.
Welcome. I have been messing around with it a little myself, great API IMHO.

Cursed_Soul
16th May 2005, 07:09 AM
Specs, a basic Dell desktop. except for 256mb Ram and Pentium 4 3.4Ghz. Angel, Im pretty sure your not gonna have problems, if im correct, your able to afford a computer that people like me who cant find a job cant afford... O well Im pissed with UED, two times within 90min UED crashed while vertex editing......

ITs a dell!! thats the problem :p
I only saw ued 3 crash when i was pushing its limits, or was trying to find ways to make it crash.

so.. what on earth are you doing to ued?

krjal
16th May 2005, 10:11 AM
Why oh why DELL?

Unless you got it for free...

OutlawSkot33
16th May 2005, 05:26 PM
Because its all my mom could afford (even though she spent around $1,200 on it.)

What am I doing to UED? Nothing bad. It will crash for any reason. I can add a brush and it will crash on me (thats VERY VERY rare though)

Bang Yr Head
16th May 2005, 07:10 PM
Oh, and it helps to know what not to do as well :)

like trying to undo ANYTHING you have done with a projector :o

hunterw
19th May 2005, 03:07 AM
there's a reason UED autosaves :)

Cursed_Soul
19th May 2005, 05:18 AM
no.. you have to activate it first ;)

at least.. with my ued it was needed.

Deus_Ex
19th May 2005, 07:24 AM
we should ask Epic and Atri if there going to be 2 editors here, 1 for drag \ drop building walls ect for the basic user and the other 1 should be like ut2003\2004 editor with more advace options for the advace users,

Cursed_Soul
21st May 2005, 08:44 AM
that would be pointless and useless.

Bot_40
21st May 2005, 10:14 AM
Quite possibly the worst idea ever :p

dude2425
21st May 2005, 01:08 PM
Can anyone say "Box Map?"

I thought I heard from somewhere that the editor will be cross platform, but I wasn't sure if it was true or not, or if I even heard it. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who heard it. Now, could anybody tell me where we heard it from in the first place, and if it is a reliable source?
I love how the editor will be cross platform because I really didn't want to screw around with wine in order to make a map/mod. I'm a Linux Exclusive user, and I personaly think that the ammount of time and money that is spent to get a wider range of players without limiting them to just one platform is really worth it.

KirinRiotCrash
21st May 2005, 01:47 PM
There was a news posting a very long time ago that made mention of it here on BU ...

I can't find the actual news post but I did find this thread ...

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=139347

Deus_Ex
21st May 2005, 02:56 PM
Lamo ya i know, but could solve some of the errors ;)

Xipher
21st May 2005, 07:14 PM
we should ask Epic and Atri

Guess your a bit behind on the news, Atari is out of the picture, Epic is with Midway now.

Xipher
21st May 2005, 07:17 PM
Can anyone say "Box Map?"

I thought I heard from somewhere that the editor will be cross platform, but I wasn't sure if it was true or not, or if I even heard it. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who heard it. Now, could anybody tell me where we heard it from in the first place, and if it is a reliable source?
I love how the editor will be cross platform because I really didn't want to screw around with wine in order to make a map/mod. I'm a Linux Exclusive user, and I personaly think that the ammount of time and money that is spent to get a wider range of players without limiting them to just one platform is really worth it.

I heard if from Icculus, AKA Ryan Gordon, the guy that does their Linux/Mac ports. He mentioned it on the UT2004 Linux Mailing list at some point, Im going to search my backlog in a bit and see if I still have the email.

dj_ely
21st May 2005, 07:20 PM
Being new to UT mapping I would have to say that UnrealEd v3 is really unstable to use, compared to other packages. Coming from an architecture background using packages such as 3dsmax, AutoCAD, Bryce etc. it is really unstable. Has anyone ever found that if you hit undo more than say 4/5 times it crashes?! It's not just me that thinks this, and it's not the spec of my pc. We are using UnrealEd is part of out digital architecture course and everyone else agrees, buggy and unstable. Hopefully 2007 will be shipped with a nice new version that doesn't crash as often! Having said that, having got into mapping I love it! Bring on UT 2007 (and Battlefield 2)!!

KirinRiotCrash
21st May 2005, 09:15 PM
With Midway being said, I would expect a hidden Mortal Kombat character in the next Unreal Tournament ... like how Raiden made an appearance in UC2.

Xipher
21st May 2005, 09:26 PM
With Midway being said, I would expect a hidden Mortal Kombat character in the next Unreal Tournament ... like how Raiden made an appearance in UC2.

I personally hope not, would rather see that stuff stay in the UC series.

TomWithTheWeather
21st May 2005, 09:31 PM
I've rarely had crashes with UEd3. If you do gets lots of crashing it's usually because of wonky video card drivers (don't use betas or hacked) or just general system instability which is usually mis-matched RAM or CPU voltage is like 0.1 to low.

KirinRiotCrash
21st May 2005, 09:36 PM
Crashes are generally caused by incompatible hardware and/or bad memory. What I would do is make sure your drivers are up to date. If you are using beta drivers, I would report the problems to the driver maker and then revert back to the latest stable drivers. Also run a memory test to make sure your memory is running properly. I believe there's a tool called memtest86 or something with a similar name that does this.

As with UnrealEd crashing ... I haven't seen it crash lately for what I normally use it for.

Kantham
21st May 2005, 09:44 PM
bha , it's official that the next editor will be ALOT wider than the one we got atm. But i personaly think that the 2k3/4 editor is very stable, just don't do these things with it (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=157370).

G.Lecter
22nd May 2005, 06:33 AM
I agree UED3 is OK, but the editor bugs may scare people who tries to learn. And other ones are made to make our lives worse: Haven't you ever cliked 'Swap order' accidentally when you have selected only one thing?
All those crashes should be replaced by a simple warning window... I don't know what Epic is doing to not fix all them in a patch...

The next editor looks good... :)

Kantham
22nd May 2005, 01:59 PM
My care are the bonus vehicles from the comunity. Yet , it's hard to make a vehicle that fit ut2004 in term of something decent. Just imagine for ut2007 for the stastic meshes , mods , textures. That will require EXTRA skillz , otherwise we will need to use the content from the game and get BORED after that. Or enjoying ut2004 map style that will not fit 2k7.

Cursed_Soul
25th May 2005, 01:03 AM
quote: Being new to UT mapping I would have to say that UnrealEd v3 is really unstable to use, compared to other packages. Coming from an architecture background using packages such as 3dsmax, AutoCAD, Bryce etc. it is really unstable. Has anyone ever found that if you hit undo more than say 4/5 times it crashes?!

lol, my ued 3.0 has only crashed 3 times on me since i got it (got 2k4 right away)
max crashes more on me when i press the backbutton a lot.

so.. dunno what excuse you are using lol :)
it shouldnt be that unstable unless you just dont know what you are doing.
nu pun intended.

FireCrack
25th May 2005, 01:46 AM
Crashes are generaly caused by windows ME

Bot_40
25th May 2005, 11:44 AM
I've had all kinds of w3rd and strange bugs with 3dsmax. UED bugs are at least very predictable - once you know what not to do it's totally stable 99.9% of the time.

{RA}SKYFURNACE
25th May 2005, 01:06 PM
I've had all kinds of w3rd and strange bugs with 3dsmax. UED bugs are at least very predictable - once you know what not to do it's totally stable 99.9% of the time.

exactly

Cursed_Soul
26th May 2005, 05:09 AM
would it be to much to say:

so true.

Deus_Ex
31st May 2005, 10:27 AM

also agree, wots the mean website for learning UED by video, i know there 1 but ive lost the link and cant rember the name 2 :hmm: LOL

Radiosity
31st May 2005, 11:47 AM
www.3dbuzz.com

Deus_Ex
31st May 2005, 12:44 PM
great thats the 1