PDA

View Full Version : Graphics and Artwork

ExiT
11th May 2005, 12:49 AM
My big request for UT2k7 is for a different art theme than UT2003/4. EVerything in ut2004 is very polished, bright, and in many ways reminds me of cartoons. The model scale is such that everything is rounded in a chunky way. If I were the ESRB, I wouldn't even rate it M; instead give it a T for 'Animated violence.'

The feeling the art from the original Unreal and Unreal tournament had was much more gritty and imperfect. The screenshots look like they are heading in a pretty good direction, with the faces looking truly worn instead of painted up. In designing the weapons and vehicles, I would definetly go for more of a worn-down, 'realism' theme that goes along with war. The screenshots so far look pretty good, especially the outdoor ones. I'm hoping they move away from the 'polished' look of UT2004.

JohnDoe641
11th May 2005, 12:57 AM
They should do a theme on Alex Trebek. Hells yeah that would be awsome. ;(

But yeah, the torn and grity look is what made Unreal and UT feel so dark. The screens help show that they are stepping in that direction again.

krjal
11th May 2005, 04:26 AM
I've come back to the series after the 2003 travesty and i have to agree that the art is moving in the right direction for a big UT style comeback.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy 2004 at all, it had some great features. The art however you're right about. The UT3 concepts and screens are really promising.

ps. I'm a concept artist myself.

empty_other
11th May 2005, 05:11 AM
So, when they draw the concept art for weapons, do they actually draw them with that many "gadget"? Or is that something they added when they modelled it, just to say "HEY! Look how many polygons we can use on ONE weaponmodel!"?

edhe
11th May 2005, 06:29 AM
I think there's a general consensus that the WWE style of 2k3 & 2k4 was overdone and that it didn't capture the grit and underworld-borne nature of UT.

I myself am hoping for a far less sterilised game in 2k7, with much more gore, nastiness and gernal dirty grittiness. Kinda like a good alleyway shag, really.

BooGiTyBoY
11th May 2005, 11:45 AM
<--- still loved the bloodsport theme in 2k3.

edhe
11th May 2005, 12:01 PM
<--- still doesn't.

ExiT
11th May 2005, 12:14 PM
Kinda like a good alleyway shag, really.

:tup:

shadow_dragon
11th May 2005, 06:04 PM
<--- still loved the bloodsport theme in 2k3.

I liked the idea but i agree with Edhe that it was overdone a bit. I think it could've been done better... a cliche i know but an underground "fight club" type "street fighting" affair could've worked but... mostly I think the Sports thing didn't work because the only thing that gave you the impression it was a sport was the intro which... after your tenth game you've forgotten about. None fo the maps give you a sports game feel.... the only thing that comes close is the anouncer but he's disembodied so....
I think the sports show thing was done poorly and the kinda, gritty on edge appeal of UT was lost. They don't feel the same UT99 was a fight for your life and UT2003 was a fight for a bit of cash and maybe a trophy or two.

krjal
12th May 2005, 08:04 AM
Yes. Bring back the gritty and gruesome if it's in an 'arena' or not.

Looks like that's whats happening anyway so I'm pretty happy with it.

Dark Pulse
12th May 2005, 10:10 AM
They should do a theme on Alex Trebek. Hells yeah that would be awsome. ;(

1) Create evil mutant clone army of Alex Trebeks
2)
3) Profit!

Kantham
12th May 2005, 10:21 AM
Mhhh , I got to agree for some things , but i don't see what make you think about cartoon when you play these games. The bright skin are necesary for the gameplay. Same thing for the wall and the whole map. If the map is not bright , the player will complain about darkness.

moonflyer
12th May 2005, 11:06 AM
i don't think the bright illumination or whatever makes it a bit of cartoon. the problem is from:
- the character/vehicle design. hl2 is a very good example to show what are cool and "realistic" sci-fi character/vehicle. painkiller has very cool gore feeling too
- the light effects, both hl2 and painkiller use globel illumination, thus the whole map can be bright enough (while in ut2k3,4 the dark places of a map are just totally dark) but still have lots of shadow details, and the environment looks very believable, while ut2k3,4 just can't do that

BmB23
15th May 2005, 09:16 AM
Moonflyer do you know what GI actually is?

It's a rendering technique where light is jumping around and skylighting is supported (light from all directions)

Reflection and refraction caustics is also supported... all in all it takes a very very (very) long time to calculate... as such limited to prerenders.

but Painkiller/HL2's shader system IS really nice.

UnlitPhoenix
15th May 2005, 10:10 AM
It'd be really nice if Epic would implement a way to tweak various settings in the game itself, so like, if a map is too bright, you can decrease the lighting on it's own, or anything else for that matter. Then any user can find their ideal "look".
Back on topic.. yeah, I agree with most users here, the gritty, gory look of UT was what made it UT. The concepts for UT2k7 look really promising. They're new visuals, but still keep a UT aspect of it.
I'd also like to see a way of applying a theme to every aspect. Kind of like, leaving the staticmeshes in place, and applying another theme of textures. So take a egyptian themed map and texture it with a sci-fi look, all on the fly.

spineblaZe
15th May 2005, 11:47 AM
1) Create evil mutant clone army of Alex Trebeks
2)
3) Profit!

:lol::lol::lol::tup:

moonflyer
16th May 2005, 12:31 AM
Moonflyer do you know what GI actually is?

It's a rendering technique where light is jumping around and skylighting is supported (light from all directions)

Reflection and refraction caustics is also supported... all in all it takes a very very (very) long time to calculate... as such limited to prerenders.

but Painkiller/HL2's shader system IS really nice.
yup, i know what the gi is, well i admit it was misleading when i said hl2/pk used gi, the fact is they don't use any ingame realtime gi, but baked gi-like lightmap!
well the effects were still awesome tho their "gi" is static and not very detailed

gregori
22nd May 2005, 05:53 PM
epic should cheer up a bit with the art work,
ut2kx was all abandoned factories, burntout scrapyard, abandoned factories, burntout, scapyard, and so on, the colours where so dull and lifeless____ the character models are what stood out about ut2kx the designs where great, much improved but levels are dull and dark

lighting in ut99 was much better, levels where more diverse and colourful
it had speeding trains, space castles, galleons on the high seas, space ships, floating islands,temples,futuristic facilities that wheren't burnt down and streets at night

FireCrack
22nd May 2005, 11:22 PM
Personaly i like the "dystopic" feel, but each to his own.

NeoNite
23rd May 2005, 07:02 AM
lighting in ut was much better, levels where more diverse and colourful
it had speeding trains, space castles, galleons on the high seas, space ships, floating islands,temples,futuristic facilities that wheren't burnt down and streets at night

Lighting... depends... now, if you take something like Dm-tempest.. you might go blind when you enter certain areas...

Oh yes, and the evil deck16 lighting...

Space castle.. barricade comes to mind. Bleh, very bland to be honest. Only cool thing about that level is the skybox.

Atmospheric levels, where lighting helps a lot, are imho dm-phobos, ctf-face (yep), dm-hyperblast...

But we're talking about a 6 year old game here anyway so...
Much has changed.

gregori
23rd May 2005, 11:25 AM
yeh in six years the quality of the maps plummeted!
I can remebeer every single ut99 map inside out! they were diverse and memorable,
i barely know a handful of ut2kx maps inside out,
most of the best maps/ most imaginative, were in the community bonus packs anyway!

NeoNite
23rd May 2005, 03:16 PM
Were? Are! :p
UT is far from being past tense, you know ;O)

gregori
23rd May 2005, 03:32 PM
i like the past tense !, its suits the purpose of my ranting___________________

FireCrack
23rd May 2005, 04:42 PM
Apperantly you like underscores too.

gregori
24th May 2005, 11:37 AM
indeed_________________________