PDA

View Full Version : UT99 Classic DOM!

moonflyer
11th May 2005, 12:43 AM
oh they just remove the DOM mode, it's rude. IMO this mode can be very fun, just like the UT99 DOM ever was
the fact is the ut2k3,2k4 versions of DOM(double dom) are not good, which does not mean the DOM itself sucks

The problems of the Double Dom, IMO are:
- meaningless balance. player has to take control of both 2 nodes. this is boring and a bit too complicated
- lack of reward! in old dom, as long as you take control of one node, the score of your team begins to increase, this is instant reward. and you don't have to worry if you can't control all of the nodes.
- it was really fun to blow away a guy who is camping on a node :lol: i miss that feeling so much

Majik
11th May 2005, 01:06 AM
One point add:
- boring and repetitive to rush to one of same two locations over and over again and thereafter camp till you die or score.

It was fun in cDOM when you were at times forced to run around the map, even though you were controlling a node, as another team (4 teams was way more fun imo) could've captured the remaining two and thus gaining a lead on you. Well, what I mean to say is that the gameplay was way more dynamic.

But with that said, I'm not really sure it's a great idea to include it (don't get me wrong it's a fun gametype), but as is evidenced by the amount of active players in each gametype in UT2k4, more gametypes equals less players in other gametypes. And then there's the question whether the gametype would actually be popular once again... I mean just look at assault.

hal
11th May 2005, 01:23 AM
DOM>DDOM

If there's a real demand for it, DOM wouldn't be hard to mod into the game.

B
11th May 2005, 04:29 AM
Then unfortunately it won't be there, the demand isn't high enough. DOM was dying long before 2k3/2k4 came out. Really too bad, because it was the most fun gametype of all imo.

krjal
11th May 2005, 04:30 AM
DOM was great in ut. Probably the mode I played most after DM.

I'm not too worried though, if it isn't in retail it'll definitely get a mod.

pine
11th May 2005, 04:43 AM
Then unfortunately it won't be there, the demand isn't high enough. DOM was dying long before 2k3/2k4 came out. Really too bad, because it was the most fun gametype of all imo.

Oh, we know the real reason Zd played "domination".

B
11th May 2005, 05:01 AM
So we could rule the world? :con:

edhe
11th May 2005, 06:24 AM
DOM was a great twist on DM, i wish it'd come back to be honest, even though i didn't play it much in UT it'd be a fresh breath compared to the Powerup timing 'Deathmatch' that there is now.

It'd be different... hell even a mutator to change the powerup points/weapon points into dom spots would be welcome.

Defeat
11th May 2005, 09:58 AM
>Yeah, I liked DOM better than DDOM. I wish that it would be brought back either in ther retail game or a mod.

Ignotium
11th May 2005, 12:36 PM
The DOM won't be a problem in Envy

_Zd_Phoenix_
11th May 2005, 12:54 PM
DOM actually involved brains rather than just jumping about shooting wildly. It was the game that made the x-loc an absolutely amazing device. It was great watching some of the better people from DM run around like headless chickens, killing like crazy and yet not significantly helping their team.

I always said I hate FPS games except UT, and I've just worked out why...no UT2k7 for me :(

Discord
11th May 2005, 02:52 PM
DOM>DDOM

Well then gogogo (http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=466252) why don'tcha. :)

That's been out for a while, but I don't think it's very popular. I used to love DOM, it was kind of like basketball to CTF's... uh... soccer ('scuse my Yank) maybe :lol:? Well, you get the point. But anyway, IIRC I had trouble conning anybody into playing DOM even in UT99 days.

DOM was a nice try, it was cool if you got bored with the other 4(3) stock gamemodes from UT99, but it wasn't much more than that for most people... and it probably really is time to clean house on the official gametypes. I mean c'mon, what, 10 or 11 in UT2k4? That's overkill.

IMO Invasion is the real unsung tragedy from the 2k7 cuttingroom floor. Co- op is probably a great way to ease people into online play, and while its numbers aren't overwhelming (hell, I don't play it) it's certainly not unplayed.

el Gato
12th May 2005, 07:19 AM
4 x 4 DOM did indeed rock. I miss it :(

F that, I'm gonna reinstall UT this weekend. :)

hal
12th May 2005, 09:21 AM
Discord']Well then gogogo (http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=466252) why don'tcha. :)

That's been out for a while, but I don't think it's very popular. I used to love DOM, it was kind of like basketball to CTF's... uh... soccer ('scuse my Yank) maybe :lol:? Well, you get the point. But anyway, IIRC I had trouble conning anybody into playing DOM even in UT99 days.

Yeah, I've got it for UT2004. It's a nice mod. There was a pretty small, but active DOM community for much of UT's life, but not enough to warrant inclusion in new installments.

Bazzi
12th May 2005, 01:25 PM
Sadly, that cDOM mod gets some of the maps wrong.

DOM-Sesmar, my fav UT DOM map just feels wrong. It's way too big, it takes too long to navigate through. Completely spoils gameplay, sadly.

Hunter
12th May 2005, 03:30 PM
DOM>DDOM

I'm going to go against that one hal because I've had many an enjoyable game of DDOM most of which have ended up with the game going in to extra time. The only bad bit about DDOM is them maps that have points at either side. Maps with vertical elements in are more competitive and interesting.

Mr.Magnetichead
12th May 2005, 03:50 PM
Let's be honest with ourselves here. If DOM or DDOM was that good people would have played it and it wouldn't have died.

commonbullet
13th May 2005, 12:18 PM
I only play DOM in the old UT.
and here's my vote to it come back.

omnius
13th May 2005, 05:42 PM
I agree that original DOM is far far better than DDOM in fact the only UT99 map that really blew me away was DOM-Sesmar

Bazzi
13th May 2005, 07:06 PM
Let's be honest with ourselves here. If DOM or DDOM was that good people would have played it and it wouldn't have died.

Point taken.

_Zd_Phoenix_
13th May 2005, 07:35 PM

Yea, cos all good things always get the appreciation they deseve. :rolleyes:

gregori
22nd May 2005, 07:28 PM
whats the point of removing DOM in anyway?
Epic could easily have supported classic DOM and DDom in UT2007
After they put two war games in there(onslaught and conquest) you kind of worry their will be no simple, fastpaced fun games in UT anymore!

tool
22nd May 2005, 07:48 PM
oh they just remove the DOM mode, it's rude. IMO this mode can be very fun, just like the UT99 DOM ever was
the fact is the ut2k3,2k4 versions of DOM(double dom) are not good, which does not mean the DOM itself sucks

The problems of the Double Dom, IMO are:
- meaningless balance. player has to take control of both 2 nodes. this is boring and a bit too complicated
- lack of reward! in old dom, as long as you take control of one node, the score of your team begins to increase, this is instant reward. and you don't have to worry if you can't control all of the nodes.
- it was really fun to blow away a guy who is camping on a node :lol: i miss that feeling so much

hello DOM fan buddy :cool:

I loved DOM from UT99, it was the game mode I played the most and I was really disappointed to see how bad DDOM was in UT2k3/2k4. I keep hoping epic would add DOM back to the UT series, but I don't think we will be seeing it again anytime soon.

Raden
22nd May 2005, 08:30 PM
Yea, cos all good things always get the appreciation they deseve. :rolleyes:
If it was so good, why is it not being included in UT2K7?

Yeah, that's right. Cause it's not popular enough.

tool
22nd May 2005, 09:42 PM
If it was so good, why is it not being included in UT2K7?

Yeah, that's right. Cause it's not popular enough.

No its called bad decision making, something epic did. Everyone in this thread so far has said they liked DOM, and its clear DOM is better then DDOM. So Epic may aswell bring DOM back or just scrap the whole thing altogether and do a new game mode that doesn't suck.

Xipher
22nd May 2005, 10:12 PM
whats the point of removing DOM in anyway?
Epic could easily have supported classic DOM and DDom in UT2007
After they put two war games in there(onslaught and conquest) you kind of worry their will be no simple, fastpaced fun games in UT anymore!
I don't think (T)DM is going any where. CTF can be pretty fast paced as well.

commonbullet
22nd May 2005, 11:01 PM
people are talking that if it was good it would have been continued; as if that was a rule.

funny, we're talking about ut99 x ut2k3/ut2k4.
which one has been the game of the year?

hal
22nd May 2005, 11:30 PM
No its called bad decision making, something epic did. Everyone in this thread so far has said they liked DOM, and its clear DOM is better then DDOM. So Epic may aswell bring DOM back or just scrap the whole thing altogether and do a new game mode that doesn't suck.

Everyone in one thread in one forum saying that DOM doesn't suck doesn't change the fact that it isn't being played in sufficient numbers. I know it's hard to accept it, but DOM players are very much the minority.

Heck, like someone mentioned above, UT2004 has a cDOM mod and nobody plays that either. What do you expect Epic to do, keep remaking a gametype that isn't being played. THAT would be bad decision making.

I love DOM, DDOM not so much. I would play it, and apparently so would everyone in this thread, but we're loudly outvoted by people who play the other gametypes and who cling to war-games (hence expanding the vehicle modes).

I said it before and I'll say it again, it would be very easy to bring DOM back as a mutator or a gametype. If Epic doesn't want to support a gametype with a miniscule following, then surely someone else with less invested in the overal package will. Then hopefully, these throngs of DOM fans (in this thread) will put their money where their mouth is and actually play it.

FireCrack
22nd May 2005, 11:32 PM
The thing about all the dropped gametypes is that they could easily be put in as mutators if the maps were set up for it.

cDOM could be a mutator for DM or TDM, with domination points placed in the maps that allow dom.

DDOM and BR could be based on CTF maps.

gregori
23rd May 2005, 11:27 AM
Exactly the point! it's pointless removing stuff that easy to implement anyway!

hal
23rd May 2005, 12:55 PM
It's not about whether or not it's easy. It's a matter of priorities. There are thousands of mutators and gametypes that would be easy to make - but should they?

Now, if you're talking about approaching DOM as a simple mutator - hmm, well maybe that wouldn't be too hard for them to implement. But who wants that, really? DOM works best on dedicated maps. Suddenly Epic has to make 6 or 8 maps for a gametype that very few people play, historically speaking. Why not use that time and talent to spend on gametypes that people DO play?

gregori
23rd May 2005, 03:26 PM
even in non mutator form it wouldn't be diffcult to make!
unreal is known for having a very diverse range of gametypes
it should cater to many! or it's just like every other FPS in the genre,

even working on a much improved DOM could expand that communtity!

FireCrack
23rd May 2005, 04:46 PM
I was never implying that epic should do this, rather someone in the community.

Monster Kill
24th May 2005, 07:13 PM
Finally Defeat. I've finally found somebody who is a torch guy also. Woot Woot!!

On a serious note, the original Domination was awesome. Some of the levels were really good too. I think that it was a mistake to ditch it.