PDA

View Full Version : I hate the name and the logo!

moonflyer
10th May 2005, 08:46 AM
OMG, i hope today was the april fool's day
what an idiot name it is.
why they don't understand simple is sometimes more cool than complicated
and the name just tells me they don't have courage to make a real next gen title. I have to assume they just want to make a updated ut2k4 which including some elements looking like from UT1
That's really bad for me and i have to pray it won't turn out to be like that finally

And also the logo, it's almost the same logo of ut2k3,2k4, just replacing the 2003/2004 with 2007 and the color is different. Damned, are they too lazy to make a totally new design?
I ever hoped there will be a powerful "III" in the logo, just under the big name "UNREAL TOURNAMENT", now i am totally pissed off

Mr.Magnetichead
10th May 2005, 08:57 AM
Keep it in one thread please.

Hunter
10th May 2005, 09:06 AM
i'm with moon, I guess I was too hopeful they were going to drop the years in the title and was hoping for UT3 (or 4) or UT:*Name of Great Power here*. UT2007 doesn't sound fun or interesting and probably won't interest any new people and only hard core UT fans who own every other Unreal game including U2.

MxX
10th May 2005, 09:35 AM
i'm with moon, I guess I was too hopeful they were going to drop the years in the title and was hoping for UT3 (or 4) or UT:*Name of Great Power here*. UT2007 doesn't sound fun or interesting and probably won't interest any new people and only hard core UT fans who own every other Unreal game including U2.

That's right......really a pitty, but enough time remains to make it better :) I hope Epic makes the best of it....

Hunter:
By the way how is the UT(99)-Mod going on? Or on which site I can read the progress? Is a fantastic idea!

Doorgeslagen
10th May 2005, 09:38 AM
I guess that is me then. I like the name and cant wait for this new version. I hope they can bring the good old ut99 gameplay back mixed with ut2004.

I dont know why you guys hate it. Maybe you where expecting a new game, and I can understand that. In a way they are unoriginal and doing something very basic. But why change a winning concept right?

moonflyer
10th May 2005, 10:40 AM
what we want is not entirely a new game, but a game based on superb taste, which was only showed in ut99
hmmm, it's really hard to describe what i mean as for "superb taste", but maybe you could check half life 2, which is also a sci-fi shooter game but has indeed superb taste!
so imagine half life 2 was named as half life 2005, can't be even more funny like that
and also compared to Quake 4! Quake 4, wow, that is what we want it to be called.

T2A`
10th May 2005, 11:17 AM
I dont know why you guys hate it. Maybe you where expecting a new game, and I can understand that. In a way they are unoriginal and doing something very basic. But why change a winning concept right?That's the point. It's not that winning of a concept. Player numbers for UT2004 are very low and the amount of normal, standard servers not running sh*tty mutators is way too close to zero for comfort.

If they call it UT2007, they are basically dooming it for failure due to poor sales.

Doorgeslagen
10th May 2005, 11:28 AM
I know what you mean. I also want it to be as 99, and luckily they are doing it. Whether it is good to include some 2004 goodness I dont know but I get you're point.

And the name problem, I dont care much, what is the difference between Unreal4 and UT2007?

I must agree, I would buy the game more faster if it was called UnrealTournament2 :lol:

NeoNite
10th May 2005, 11:29 AM
My list, starting with the most horrible name(nickname):

1)ut99
2)ut1999
3)ut2007
4)Ut2003-4

Raden
10th May 2005, 12:00 PM
If they call it UT2007, they are basically dooming it for failure due to poor sales.

Yeah, but people would have to be a downright Goddamn idiot to not buy it simply because "omfg it's called UT2007 and not UT3".

Hunter
10th May 2005, 12:09 PM
That's right......really a pitty, but enough time remains to make it better :) I hope Epic makes the best of it....

Hunter:
By the way how is the UT(99)-Mod going on? Or on which site I can read the progress? Is a fantastic idea!

I'm not running it any more due to real life commitments, afaik there isn't much going on with it as nothing has been released to the community or anything for months.

Anyway back on topic, I sure hope epic listen to the community about the name at least. UT2007 is just going to fail otherwise.

T2A`
10th May 2005, 12:28 PM
Yeah, but people would have to be a downright Goddamn idiot to not buy it simply because "omfg it's called UT2007 and not UT3".Have you read the other threads on this topic? Calling it UT2007 will make people who were on the ropes with UT2003/4 not buy it. People who didn't like them won't think twice about buying UT2007 because they'll think it's just a rehashed carbon copy like the move from UT2003 to UT2004 was (and nearly every football game in existence). The whole point of moving away from hitscan, nerfing the movement, adding Conquest, et al, was to get away from the current feel and draw in more new players to the series. I can't foresee calling the game UT2007 doing this. At all.

I'd bet that most people here will buy it no matter what it's called (myself included), but that won't bring any new people in, will it? That won't improve the crap number of players online currently for UT2004, will it?

Ignotium
10th May 2005, 12:39 PM
Only time will tell, period

Bot_40
10th May 2005, 01:50 PM
My list, starting with the most horrible name(nickname):

1)ut99
2)ut1999
3)ut2007
4)Ut2003-4

:tup:

Raden
10th May 2005, 08:07 PM
Have you read the other threads on this topic? Calling it UT2007 will make people who were on the ropes with UT2003/4 not buy it. People who didn't like them won't think twice about buying UT2007 because they'll think it's just a rehashed carbon copy like the move from UT2003 to UT2004 was (and nearly every football game in existence). The whole point of moving away from hitscan, nerfing the movement, adding Conquest, et al, was to get away from the current feel and draw in more new players to the series. I can't foresee calling the game UT2007 doing this. At all.

I'd bet that most people here will buy it no matter what it's called (myself included), but that won't bring any new people in, will it? That won't improve the crap number of players online currently for UT2004, will it?
Do we need idiots like that playing it anyway?

Their loss and nobody elses.

Xaero_UT
10th May 2005, 08:31 PM
Unreal Tournament: Evolution?
Unreal Evolution

envy is a bit lame.. or 07

edit: they should call, what their feature is such as

Unreal Tournament : Conquest
&
Unreal Tournament: Onslaught

JonAzz
10th May 2005, 08:55 PM
sorry but names like that suck :P why would you want it to be *Game Name*: *Something About it*
:con:

people only call Unreal Tournament ut99 because it could confuse people into thinking you are refering to the unreal tournament series as a whole.

Xaero_UT
10th May 2005, 08:58 PM
sorry but names like that suck :P why would you want it to be *Game Name*: *Something About it*
:con:

people only call Unreal Tournament ut99 because it could confuse people into thinking you are refering to the unreal tournament series as a whole.

fair enough,

i know they suck, but just the sort of general view, than teh year names

moonflyer
10th May 2005, 09:50 PM
i asked a few my friends. who never bought ut2003, 2004 and they just assumed 2007 will be an updated ut2004(and the most improvement is from the graphic) so they don't plan to buy 2007 if this game won't be able to improve itself
and for those never played any UT games, they won't care what the name will be, they won't buy 2007 just coz it's 2007, not ut3. they will check all kinds of reviews and the comments from the community and also the demo then they decide if they should buy it

KirinRiotCrash
10th May 2005, 10:06 PM
Personally, I could give a crap of what it's called ... if the demo kicks butt then I'm buying it. I don't care if it's called "CliffyB Tournament 20X6: The Epic Battle" or whatever.

On a serious note, I'd wait until theirs a demo of the game before saying anything about it. Sure the naming scheme is kinda lame but if the game looks a lot cooler and plays well then I might consider making a purchase ... but then again, I'm going to need to upgrade my computer to play it. My PC's at home could BARELY run Doom 3 and I can't play games on my Mac.

Raden
10th May 2005, 11:28 PM
i asked a few my friends. who never bought ut2003, 2004 and they just assumed 2007 will be an updated ut2004(and the most improvement is from the graphic) so they don't plan to buy 2007 if this game won't be able to improve itself
Thanks, but I doubt anyone gives a crap except you and your friends. We don't have any way of verifying that.

I mean, I asked 150 of my friends and they all loved it.

See?

Bot_40
11th May 2005, 05:02 PM
Allow me to clarify my stance. I don't directly give a crap what the next game is called and I imagine most UT fans don't either, I do however care about the community and it's horrible lack of general activity since the release of UT2k3. 2k4 gave it a boost but nothing like what it needed. I've just sat around and watch pretty much every single mapper I knew (apart from hourences :p) disappear either because of lack of interest or being hired and there seems to simply be little to no new people appearing that are truely interested in mapping. If your general random gamer thinks that the next UT is simply an upgrade of UT2k3/4 with better graphics then it's certainly not going to attract any large number of new people to the community.

O.S.T
11th May 2005, 06:09 PM
and the name just tells me they don't have courage to make a real next gen title.
what's up with the "next gen" stuff?
it may have another super ber whatever engine, but I'm still going to play it with mouse and keyboard and woun't care about the higher texture detail
there's no real improvement other than the graphics and physics(and both woun't affect the gameplay)
it's not really a new generation for me

and the name UT2007, well, better than unreal tournament: evolution or something like that ;)

like I said, it's no groundbreaking new game, why do you want a groundbreaking new name?

Raden
11th May 2005, 06:17 PM
How do you know it won't be? Have you played it? Do you know something we don't?

Jesus, I wish they hadn't announced this yet. Everyone's a Goddamn expert.

togmkn
11th May 2005, 06:22 PM
Keep it in one thread please.
Agreed.
Besides, let's look at the others: Max Payne 2 (smash hit), Halo 2 (smash hit), Metal Gear Solid 2 (smash hit), Rainbow Six II, III, and IV (smash hits), Half-Life 2 (smash hit), Time Splitters II and III (smash hits), need I say more? The name doesn't really matter, and naming the titles in sequental order doesn't affect the gameplay. It could be called "Unreal Tournament 1847" for all I care, as long as it didn't take place in 1847 I'd be alright with it. And by the way, UT2K7 will be taking place long after 2007, in the F.Y.I department :)
As for the logo, no whiney schmuck ever complained about Max Payne 2's theme song being the same as the original, because it's so cheap being the original just played with a violin.
I do not assume that a game will be a remake of an older version just because the name is similar. What about Unreal Championship II? OK, so it's different calling it II and III as opposed to naming it by release year like 2003 and 2004. But still, I think you get my point. Unreal Tournament 2007 is looking good by my standards, and I'm pretty sure you can rely on it being much different, in a good way, than its precursors.

O.S.T
11th May 2005, 06:25 PM
How do you know it won't be? Have you played it? Do you know something we don't?
ok, tell me where they could hide the awesome new groundbreaking ideas?
the gamemodes are announced, the weapons too, where do you expect it to be? whatelse do you think can it be than another UT game and do you really think epic would dare it to do something completely different?

ok, that new gamemode could be TEH thing, but I doubt it

we shall wait and see if I'm right and it's just another game or if it's really the next generation of gaming

jesus, I wish they hadn't announced it yet. everyone's forgetting it's only a game.

Black_Seeds
12th May 2005, 02:27 AM

Jesus, I wish they hadn't announced this yet. Everyone's a Goddamn expert.
Im with Nem on this one, names dont really make or break a game. And it seems stupid to use one naming scheme and then not keep using it.

MxX
12th May 2005, 08:17 AM
I'm not running it any more due to real life commitments, afaik there isn't much going on with it as nothing has been released to the community or anything for months.

Anyway back on topic, I sure hope epic listen to the community about the name at least. UT2007 is just going to fail otherwise.

A pitty, that would have been extremly cool *g*

Yap, I also hope they listen well, would be a real bad thing if UT2k7 (at the moment I`ll call it that way *g*) would be a mid-class game :(

Well, let`s post our wishes and hope the best *g*

Dark Pulse
12th May 2005, 10:24 AM
A pitty, that would have been extremly cool *g*

Yap, I also hope they listen well, would be a real bad thing if UT2k7 (at the moment I`ll call it that way *g*) would be a mid-class game :(

Well, let`s post our wishes and hope the best *g*
It's actually still going. Slowly, but it is going.

Kantham
12th May 2005, 10:27 AM
Lazy as they are for death sounds. Ut2003/4 and the TRAILER of pariah used the same damn death sound.

If they gonna use the same for ut2007 , Fck off then!

I don't really care about the logo , but i must admit they could think about somthing new. Maybe it's just a beta logo.

G.Lecter
12th May 2005, 06:39 PM
"We pay a lot of attention to what the guys in the community are saying, and we take that feedback to heart."
Posts I've read saying UT2007 is a good name = 0 (or 1...)
Posts I've read saying UT3 is a good name = A lot...

The name is UT2007 because the next single-player game will probably be called Unreal3. Calling this one UT3 could be confusing for some people...

I expected to see a big III too, but I don't care the logo, I think this one is not bad.. The box is not important if what there is inside is cool (and it's gonna be cool... :D)

Mr_NS-5
15th May 2005, 02:40 AM
yeah,i'm agree with moon,this logo is too ugly,it's really a serious problem.

Kriegs-Maschine
15th May 2005, 03:11 AM

AHhh, who the **** care about the goddamn icon... create one for urself or download a custom one if it can give you pleasure... and rename the shortcut to UT3 hahaha.
Still I buy the game if its ownage and not if it have a nice name... UT2007 is very good.

Lauren
15th May 2005, 04:41 AM
Lazy as they are for death sounds. Ut2003/4 and the TRAILER of pariah used the same damn death sound.

If they gonna use the same for ut2007 , Fck off then!

I don't really care about the logo , but i must admit they could think about somthing new. Maybe it's just a beta logo.

yeah a pre logo hmmz i dont care about the titel to cuz its stil inreal tournament....

Lauren
15th May 2005, 06:36 AM
The game hold the Unreal Tournament 2007 Logo and Name :)

http://www.unrealtournament2007.com/

http://www.ut2007.com/

Zur
15th May 2005, 06:48 AM
Those domains have been reserved since 2002.

Lauren
15th May 2005, 07:22 AM
Yeah i know and direct linked to there site but now they link to a 2007 site thats not done

Zur
15th May 2005, 07:54 AM
I wish they added an alternative name, say UT2007 : Battle for Earth or something like that. The new logo (dump that egg-like rubbish please) is ok but the e-sports year numbering scheme is the most boring, "here's some more of the same sh*t" marketing approach since -1000 BC.

BmB23
15th May 2005, 08:20 AM
jesus, I wish they hadn't announced it yet. everyone's forgetting it's only a game.

this is nothing!! you should see Black & White 2's forums

NeoNite
15th May 2005, 01:06 PM
UT Forever

Eh, eh, eh..

UT4E.

But it's been done... ;O)

Kantham
15th May 2005, 01:27 PM
yeah a pre logo hmmz i dont care about the titel to cuz its stil inreal tournament....

I don't remeber Inreal tournament?

CyberSirius
15th May 2005, 02:37 PM
I absolutly don't care about the name and IMO,this ranting is unnessesary (sp?)

Lauren
15th May 2005, 02:53 PM
Whoops hahah yeah thats a new game of epic whhaa :lol: my mistake sry

SanitysEdge
15th May 2005, 08:38 PM
The name is UT2007 because the next single-player game will probably be called Unreal3. Calling this one UT3 could be confusing for some people...
Gah! I can barely argue with you there, but there was a Unreal game and a Unreal Tourment game, I dont think anyone got confused by that, they might have though... O_o

I still cant belive there calling it UT2007. After all there promising about trying to get away from the `suck' that was UT2003/4 they get some genius marking guru that apprently just graduated from whatever high class marking school or something to pull a stunt like this

blutspender
16th May 2005, 10:54 AM
THIS is, how the new UT-Logo should look like:

Steyr
16th May 2005, 03:50 PM
Do we need idiots like that playing it anyway?

Their loss and nobody elses.
WRONG. Epic's loss, big time. Those idiots still pay their $50 to support the game. And if they don't... BURRRRN THEM!!!!!!
Piracy is so lame when you love the game but still don't buy it.

Kantham
16th May 2005, 03:53 PM

Not better , not worse.

Kinda remind me the Unreal 2 logo.

CyberSirius
16th May 2005, 04:32 PM

ugh... :hmm:

NeoNite
16th May 2005, 05:29 PM
Gah! I can barely argue with you there, but there was a Unreal game and a Unreal Tourment game, I dont think anyone got confused by that, they might have though... O_o

... Unfortunately, I think that's sometimes the case.

Btw, I've seen plenty of people call UT2003 1)unreal 2003 .. for some reason.

It says "Unreal tournament", not Unreal.

How hard can it really be, hmm...

A possible UT3 and Unreal3 SHOULDN'T raise any confusion, but alas.. it probably would :hmm:

SanitysEdge
17th May 2005, 04:03 PM
A possible UT3 and Unreal3 SHOULDN'T raise any confusion, but alas.. it probably would :hmm:
In that case...
Btw, I've seen plenty of people call UT2003 1)unreal 2003 .. for some reason.
... there still getting confused, reguardless of the crappy yearly naming scheme.

Perhaps they should put disclaimers on the boxes:
Unreal 3*

(*not Unreal Tournament 3)

NeoNite
17th May 2005, 04:49 PM
Yes, I know they'd still be getting confused.. didn't I say that.. _

I have, however, not to this date, seen anyone call "unreal tournament" : "unreal".

Or maybe, not that much. If I had, I would've remembered. Or if it had happened frequently.

Cursed ut99 nickname. Whoever came up with it, you should die a horrible .. horrible, painfull, 100 hours lasting death!

Dark Pulse
18th May 2005, 08:10 AM
Deal with the Backlabeling. Three of four UT games have a year in them now, and anyone new to the series - and indeed, possibly some vets - will get confused by just an ambiguous "UT". At least when someone says "UT99" you know which one.

No, don't use UT1. Now THAT'S crap.

NeoNite
18th May 2005, 11:45 AM
Nah, it's not nearly as bad as ut****ing99.

Not by a longshot, imho.

Dark Pulse
18th May 2005, 12:04 PM
Nah, it's not nearly as bad as ut****ing99.

Not by a longshot, imho.
Yeah, that's why UT99 has become accepted and UT1 hasn't. ;)

NeoNite
18th May 2005, 12:33 PM
****ty music rules the popchart, but does that make it good music?

Gouts et les couleurs, bleh ;Op

MxX
19th May 2005, 08:21 AM
It's actually still going. Slowly, but it is going.

@DP: glad to hear :) well, good stuff jus`takes his time *g*

@Topic: The logo or box is not the most imortant thing I agree, I`ll buy the thing if it`s a good game, but a good logo jus`rounds the things up *g*
Going back to 99, when I first saw the UT Logo and the babe with the pulsegun, I hat to take a closer look at the game.
After reading some articles `bout this, it was clear that I must have that *g* UT2k3 and 4 were added to my "collection" `cause I just loved that game.
But in addition, UT is still the better game, the maps make just more fun and the characters have a better design. Of course it makes more fun playing with better graphics and bots, so can`t await the conversion *g*

AVP
21st Aug 2005, 01:33 PM
Your stupid :stupid:

T2A`
21st Aug 2005, 01:45 PM
Your retarded. (http://www.bustedtees.com/product.php?name=yourretarded)

Israphel
21st Aug 2005, 02:42 PM
Your stupid
Your retarded.

My stupid?
My retarded?
I don't own a stupid or a retarded.

You've gotta love merchandising with bad grammar. It's just so...erm...retarded.

(no, please don't tell me it's supposed to be like that....it would just ruin it)

Kantham
21st Aug 2005, 02:48 PM
Your retarded. (http://www.bustedtees.com/product.php?name=yourretarded)

Riiiiight.

21st Aug 2005, 03:38 PM
I like the name and logo.

Once they make a singleplayer-major game, they can make a cheesy title for it. Plus, it would be stupid if they broke from the ut2003/ut2004/... pattern to make an emo necri romance novel name like ENVY.
:cool::cool::cool::cool:UT2007:cool::cool::cool::cool:

is hawt!!!!

lik sex

-Jes-
21st Aug 2005, 04:02 PM
I would've preferred UT3, but whatever goes...

And to the people who think the name is what causes UT games to have low player-rates, try this word... GAME-PLAY!

CounterCrap is easy, UT is elitism, Quake3 is a mix of both. Hence, their current player-counts.
Counts which exist due to to how "People prefer easy over good"...

K.N.I.F.E
21st Aug 2005, 04:04 PM
I mean, I asked 150 of my friends and they all loved it.

See?

You have 150 friends? Wow! You win the "Least Nerdy BUF-ian with the most friends Contest"!

But the question is, Are they your real friends, or just evil ghey penguins who plan on using you as a pawn to destroy the non nerdy world!

Beware of the Ghey Penguins!