PDA

View Full Version : What's the source for the game name info?

BooGiTyBoY
9th May 2005, 10:16 AM
I don't see anything "official" anywhere except the fact that gamewallpapers has slapped that name across their "exclusive (hahahha) wallpapers.

Sir_Brizz
9th May 2005, 11:11 AM
That';s because there IS NOTHING official :)

Sir_Brizz
9th May 2005, 11:51 AM
:( We just received official word from Midway, UT2007 is the confirmed name for the next UT game.

Go&nd
9th May 2005, 12:13 PM
:(

Radiosity
9th May 2005, 12:56 PM
They've completely rewritten the engine from scratch, they're making uber high poly models for all that normal mapped goodness, the engine looks nothing less than pure unadulterated secks, and they go and call it UT2007. GG's guys.

Renegade Retard
9th May 2005, 01:04 PM
Wow, so far I see four threads discussing the same thing. Two here, and two in the news section.

People are really interested in the name!

gregori
9th May 2005, 01:10 PM
2007 or not it seems early to release wall papers them ones look thrown toghether in adobe type deally from previous shots

kafros
9th May 2005, 01:33 PM
2007????????? The world may have come to its end by then.

On the other hand it is comforting that there are software developers (and of the best kind) that take longer than me to complete a project.

Wonder if my boss will buy this nonsense....hmmmmm

Renegade Retard
9th May 2005, 01:36 PM
2007 is in the name. That doesn't mean it will be released in 2007. UT2003 was released in 2002 if I recall.

kafros
9th May 2005, 01:53 PM
2007 is in the name. That doesn't mean it will be released in 2007. UT2003 was released in 2002 if I recall.

Yes end of 2002 (October)

Still I think this time they will keep the promise. GPUs with the power of 2 SLI 6800GTs are about 18 months away...

Sir_Brizz
9th May 2005, 01:56 PM
They've completely rewritten the engine from scratch
This is probably the biggest misconception in the Unreal Community. The engine has never been rewritten from scratch, and the only comment made about it is that all the major parts of the engine have been REWORKED (which is entirely different from rewritten from scratch).

gregori
9th May 2005, 02:16 PM
might as well be from scratch, the whole rendering and lighting engine has been rewritten, the whole textures and materials engine has been rewritten, the physics engine is completely new, the skeletal animation has been reworked, completely different particle engine...............................

Only the core stuff in the engine is still there, static meshes, various actors, terrain, volumes, zones, stuff that doesn't need to be rewritten

having said that it will probably be easier to convert levels and stuff from ut2kx to Envy than it was from ut99 to ut2kx

Radiosity
9th May 2005, 04:05 PM
Brizz - it can't really be a misconception when Steve Polge himself stated that they've re-written the entire engine. There is nothing in there from any previous version of the engine.

CyMek
9th May 2005, 04:21 PM
They've completely rewritten the engine from scratch, they're making uber high poly models for all that normal mapped goodness, the engine looks nothing less than pure unadulterated secks, and they go and call it UT2007. GG's guys.

FULL FRONTAL POLYGONS!!!!!

On the subject though, I am dissapointed in the name. It may be a "sports" game in some peolpe's mnd, but its a BLOOD SPORT, not football. UT2007 just sounds so weak to me.

Sir_Brizz
9th May 2005, 06:30 PM
Brizz - it can't really be a misconception when Steve Polge himself stated that they've re-written the entire engine. There is nothing in there from any previous version of the engine.
Want to link your source?

Radiosity
10th May 2005, 06:22 AM
Sure:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3140119&did=1

Particularly the direct quote from Steve Polge:

This is a completely new game, new engine. All the code is really being rewritten.

Sir_Brizz
10th May 2005, 08:42 AM
That doesn't really help your point.

kafros
10th May 2005, 08:57 AM
hey brizz if you are a programmer ask yourself that:

how many times have you gone about re-writting a program for its next generation release only to get frustrated and dump the whole thing and start from scratch.

I have done it ALL the times.

I expect EPIC's initial plan was to reuse and about now they are re-writing...

could be wrong though... could be wrong though

Sir_Brizz
10th May 2005, 08:59 AM
There is just no reason to rewrite the whole engine. They are still using things which are undeniably Unreal FIRST GENERATION. You know what they say, if it's not broke don't fix it. I'm sure they fix things that aren't broke, but why replace things that work just fine? For example, UScript.

Bang Yr Head
10th May 2005, 09:31 AM
gamespot did an entire preview on "UT2007" complete with an interview with Mike Capps. its UT2007. yeah, it may not be the greatest name, but in the end does it really ****ing matter? dont you care more about something as skin deep as the game's name? The Goo Goo Dolls have quite possibly the worst band name in history but that dosnt stop them from being a great band.

Death Cube K
10th May 2005, 11:25 AM
yeah, it may not be the greatest name, but in the end does it really ****ing matter? dont you care more about something as skin deep as the game's name?

Of course not! You can't judge a book by it's contents when all you have to go on are a few pictures and some mumblings by people in charge.

Bot_40
10th May 2005, 12:47 PM
I think the name does matter and I do think UT2k7 is a bad choice. Epic are constantly going on about how this is going to be a totally new game. If someone walks into a shop and sees UT2k7 on the shelf for the first time, "Oh great, UT2k7, another re-hash of that god-awefull UT2k3 game I wish I never bought"
imo, UT3 would be fine for a name, nice and simple and actually sounds like a fresh new game.

DeeperShade
10th May 2005, 01:01 PM
@All
----
Damn man. I wish I had all of your problems....
I'm dealing with lack of life, lack of job, medical problems, total lack of finances, my rig needs upgrading, inorder to get the job I want I need a car, the list goes on.

And you're main problems at the moment appears to be the name of a game that hasn't even been released yet....

Death Cube K
10th May 2005, 01:55 PM
I know, isn't it great?

BooGiTyBoY
10th May 2005, 02:47 PM
Isnt that what forums are for?

Just replace the movie theme with a game theme in the following quote from Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.

Holden: "This is a site populated by militant movie buffs: sad, pathetic little bastards livind in their parents' basement downloading scripts and what they think is inside information about movies and actors they claim to despise yet can't stop discussing." (http://www.jahozafat.com/cgi-bin/wavs.cgi?Jay_And_Silent_Bob_Strike_Back=moviebuffs.wav)

Gumby
10th May 2005, 03:43 PM
UT3 would be fine for a name, nice and simple and actually sounds like a fresh new game.
Or UT 3nvy ;) That was a much better name imo that UT2007 :D I really hope they decide to make Unreal3 though, with a decent story line and less buggy gameplay :lol:

JonAzz
10th May 2005, 07:09 PM
There is just no reason to rewrite the whole engine. They are still using things which are undeniably Unreal FIRST GENERATION. You know what they say, if it's not broke don't fix it. I'm sure they fix things that aren't broke, but why replace things that work just fine? For example, UScript.
Brizz I see your point. the core concepts of it are the same, UScript, actors, static meshes, UED, etc. but how some of the things are carried out are different. they most likely did rewrite large portions of stuff, but the basic core of what it is is the same... or soemthing like that.

who cares what the name will be... I just hope it plays as good as it looks :D

Xaero_UT
10th May 2005, 07:53 PM
they have to change the name, don't they realise if they dont, then every ut player will knee them in the nads..

save ur future generations, rename the game!