PDA

View Full Version : JB-RimeValley

ZedMaestro
9th May 2005, 10:08 AM
OK, its time for me to show the large vehicle map I've been working on for a while now :)

The dense fog and freezing temperatures combine to give this valley its name; 'Rime ice' is a type of frost that results from fog freezing. This usually forms on trees and buildings, but it can also form on corpses too.

This is a large snowy map designed for over 20 players. Note that the game will be very boring if you dont have enough players in, especially online, as bots will only make up the numbers to total 8.

The basic shape of the map is a figure-of-eight, with the bases being back-to-back, and a valley in between them. Each team has two jails. Within each base there are two switches, and something that must be stressed very strongly is that the switches only open one of the two jails, so if you wish to release your entire team, make sure you hit both switches in the enemy base.

Each base has: 1 Manta, 1 Scorpion, 1 Hellbender, 1 Goliath, and 2 Raptors. There is an East, Center (North), Center (South), and West Jail. In addition to the above vehicles, at the exit of each team's center jail there is: 1 Manta, 1 Scorpion, 1 Hellbender, and 1 Raptor. Its very hard to determine the correct number and type of vehicles given testing with bots alone, so these are subject to change.

I've tried to make a map where there's something for everyone to do, whether you're defending, attacking, roaming... or jailed.

Attackers have a wealth of vehicles to chose from, and they can either go solo or join forces with other vehicles to provide a stronger attack. Raptors in particular can provide aerial support for ground vehicles, or just dive straight for the enemy base to get to the switches.
Defenders have the option of indoor action or manning the outdoor minigun turrets, which are powerful, but exposed. Of course, defenders could sit outside their base in the vehicles for stronger defense, but this would sacrifice attack strength.
Sweepers can roam the map to find numerous pickups, like Super Shields, Double Damages, the Grenade Launcher, and the Avril.
Prisoners can monitor the game in two ways; Firstly by the regular cameras that can be triggered, or by the realtime preview map that shows not only the locations of their team's players but also the positions of the enemy players. Good communication can be a huge advantage.
The display also provides (hopefully) n00b-proof information as to which jail they are in and which switch will release them. Follow the dots to see the locations. The first attachment of the next post shows an example of this for the East Jail, one of the two red team's jails.
Alternatively, they could try and escape by the "not-quite-as-easy-as-it-looks" pressure burst. Hit the switch on the wall, and if you're lucky the pressure burst in the middle will fly you out of the jail. If not, you get a headache.

The map's arena is a Raptor arena, but with the current version of Jailbreak, JB2004b, it is not functional. Bots don't realise that they can use vehicles in the arena. However, this is one of the fixes in JB2004c, so bots will use the Raptors from then on. For now though, they can't. Only Mychaeel with a work-in-progress JB2004c can test this bit out.

Normally, my panoramic maps are actual screenshots of the map. Not long ago in an early alpha version it was determined that the map was a bit dull, which I agreed with. After all, it was just a dull grey-and-white texture. So I got creative, and because of the 5-attachments-per-post limit, you'll have to get the map to see it.

There's a final feature that hasn't been mentioned yet; the execution. That'll be mentioned in the next post.

And now for some screenshots:

Pic 1 shows an air battle.
Pic 2 shows a Hellbender and Goliath working together to take down a minigun turret.
Pic 3 shows a Raptor above the enemy base diving into the action soon after the round begins.
Pic 4 shows the central blue jail and its available resources.
Pic 5 shows some indoor action.

ZedMaestro
9th May 2005, 10:09 AM
Pic 1 of this post shows an example of the jail maps, which, via good communication, can be used to give free players advanced information about the current situation of the game.

The execution for this map is brand new; its the Freeze execution featured in the new a couple of weeks ago, and I'm pleased to say that its now fully functional.

The execution starts off with a small burst of cold air (Pic 2).
The prisoners slowly freeze in whatever position they were in. Ice crystals form on them. You cannot move or look around from now on (Pic 3). Pic 4 shows the HUD of a prisoner at this point.
Then, after a short interval, the frozen prisoners shatter into fragments of ice which scatter on the ground. (Pic 5)

Each stage has appropriate sounds to accompany the execution.

So now its time for the first beta link. You'll have to manually add bots to make the total number of players more realisitic given the size of the map. If you don't know how, bring up the Console and type "addbots x" where x is a number.

Have fun :D

JB-RimeValley-Beta1 (www.ut-jailbreak.de/ZedMaestro/Maps/JB-RimeValley-Beta1.rar)

You also need the JBExecutionFreeze actor. (http://mychaeel.no-ip.com/public/JBExecutionFreeze.zip)

Aersik
9th May 2005, 11:04 AM
UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-02-15_17.02]

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 2526 MHz with 511MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (7189)

Failed to enter C:\UT2004\Maps\JB-RimeValley-Beta1.ut2: Can't find file for package 'JBExecutionFreeze'

History: UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

I'm guessing a system file is missing?

ZedMaestro
9th May 2005, 11:32 AM
Oh yes, JBExecutionFreeze is meant to be a separate file. Here it is. (http://mychaeel.no-ip.com/public/JBExecutionFreeze.zip)

G.Lecter
9th May 2005, 12:30 PM
Interesting map: :clap:
- I think the indoors should be a little colder, especially the jails, the emmiters in the execution should be much bigger too...
- Some doors look too white IMO...
- The map is too big and I get lost easily, is it possible adding a radar map (with the teamates’ position)? :D
- I miss some vehicles of my team near the enemy base, my vehicle might disappear when I release… and it would be a pain going back on foot, so my only good choice is camping around the enemy switches and release again and again... :D. Add 1-2 opposite-team vehicles around the jails and/or make neutral the Scorpion and the Manta between the jail and the base...
- The minigun turrets are not team-specific... ;)
- There is a hole in the jails and I could fall through it. Yeh, I smell it is a escape path, but could you make something to make possible escaping but not falling...?
- Bots sometimes get a vehicle and leave it too early, and they are not very interested in the Hellbender and the Tank... I have not seen them using the turrets either...
- Add more link ammo in the lockers, now there is not enough to heal big vehicles...

ZedMaestro
9th May 2005, 12:41 PM
OK I'll make it look colder.
White doors? They don't look white to me.
Erm, press F1 for the scoreboard map :p
Yeah, its awkward. I'd rather that blue vehicles werent in the red base. What would you think of a teleporter in the red base that would teleport only blue players to the blue's center jail (obviously not inside, but to that area), and the same vice versa? Therefore blue players in the red base have an exit route to safety, but dont immediately end up back in their own base.
The minigun turrets are team-specific; they are "unlocked" when the owner team enters them. I'd be uneasy about a permanent enemy team lock.
No. You've got to be pretty stupid to fall into the jails anywa... Erm... Hmm... that could result in idiots intentionally jumping in... I'll fix that.
That is bot code and nothing to do with the map. This is because bots dont think they can use vehicles while roaming... ie they only use vehicles when there is an objective to attack or defend. Mychaeel is working on this.
Yeah, its actually really hard to know how much of what to put in the lockers. I'll put another 70 ammo in. Is weapon placement and ammo amounts for other weapons suitable too?

G.Lecter
9th May 2005, 01:10 PM
OK, We'll have to wait for JB2004c for a better bot code. Anyway I played it again and the bots used the turrets and the tanks... So the bots are not a problem... :)
What would you think of a teleporter in the red base that would teleport only blue players to the blue's center jail (obviously not inside, but to that area), and the same vice versa?
Nah, I don't like transporters too much, we have the TeleportReleaser addon for that... I think what I said before about the neutral Scorpion & Manta would be better...
Is weapon placement and ammo amounts for other weapons suitable too?
I did not pay attention to that, I think it's OK... :rolleyes:
White doors? They don't look white to me.
These doors look overlit for me...

Aersik
9th May 2005, 01:17 PM
Last edited by ZedMaestro : Today at 05:38 PM. Reason: Oopsie
*phew* I was worried there for a minute. Especially when it didn't run on my second machine either :lol:

The only place I managed to get stuck was in the shaft that the raptors use to leave the base. They don't open from the outside (presumably to keep vehicles out of the base), and it's impossible to get out of there without the xloc or a raptor.

It is also possible to get out of the escape just using the shield gun. However, it's far harder than the normal escape, and even if you make it you'll only have ~7 health.

And I'd love to see what would happen if you built a ladder on top of that air vent and then hit the release switch :D

ZedMaestro
9th May 2005, 01:18 PM
I've fixed the doors by making them a DynamicLightMover.

The TeleportReleaser Addon is never used, and does actually result in a small complication in this map in that if one switch is pressed, the attacker doesnt get the chance to hit the other switch. Lets wait for other people's opinions.

I've already implemented the other changes too already, as well as more sounds.

Aersik... what kind of shield gun do you have? Its not possible to get out with a regular shield gun, which leaves you with 47 health after a failed attempt anyway.

About the Raptor roof... yes, its intentional that the doors dont open. I'll see if I can set up something that kills the pawns who are stupid enough to get there.

Another Edit: With the currently-available actors its not possible to fix that. I need a volume that can only damage players who are not in vehicles.

Aersik
9th May 2005, 02:10 PM
Aersik... what kind of shield gun do you have? Its not possible to get out with a regular shield gun, which leaves you with 47 health after a failed attempt anyway.

Then same kind as you...I just know how to use it :)

Personally I don't think you should do anything about it because of it's difficulty, but I was just pointing it out in case you wanted to remove it.

ZedMaestro
9th May 2005, 02:20 PM
Now thats cheeky :p
Surely if I dont change it, you've (and anyone else who masters it) has a permanent ticket to freedom? ;)
The best way to prevent such escapes would be to use a door of some sort that opened when the switch was pressed.

Aersik
9th May 2005, 02:25 PM
Surely if I dont change it, you've (and anyone else who masters it) has a permanent ticket to freedom? ;)
Gaahhhh!!! My master plan has been thwarted! :lol:

If you just make the hole a little bit higher you'll prevent people shield jumping out. It's pretty much the maximum height for 3 shield jumps at the moment. Unless you can shield jump off people in a ladder, of course.

Trueblood
10th May 2005, 02:17 AM
The map is too big and I get lost easily, is it possible adding a radar map (with the teamates’ position)? :D
Its not as big as you think, it has quite a simple layout :)
----
1: your probably aware bots dont like using Raptor in arena...so yeah
2: I did notice vehicles vanishing at red base, but not at blue :con:
3: http://img136.echo.cx/img136/4913/rolleyes4hx.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)
silly tart got stuck :rolleyes: a heafty kick up the bum does the job but if last"women" standing, dont know if she could move.

The execution is kinda cool :) though i was expecting it to be abit more...dromatic :con:

TheSpoonDog
10th May 2005, 07:47 AM
Nice Zed! Can definately see some good games on this one :)

I must admit though I agree with G.Lecter - this makes me kinda think we should add a feature in JB2004c to be able to use the radar map functionality (or maybe we can already?). I just drove around with the scoreboard open :p

ZedMaestro
10th May 2005, 10:04 AM
There already is a Radar-Addon in development... its just not making any progress. You could pop into the Core Dev forums and you can pick it up from there.

Kantham
10th May 2005, 10:47 AM
Very cool map indeed , i really like the layout and the bot played fairly well.
The new jail execution is cool also. I really like the jails, but i wonder what the switch is used to , pushing a player that stand in the midle to free him?

This map is good for alot of players. And it's your best map so far i guess.

G.Lecter
10th May 2005, 11:21 AM
bots dont like using Raptor in arena...
I'd better see a different arena if bots can't play it. If you keep anyway the Raptor arena, you could add more interest adding a weapon (ShockRifle/LightingGun) on a cliff in the middle... ;)

ZedMaestro
10th May 2005, 11:38 AM
The map's arena is a Raptor arena, but with the current version of Jailbreak, JB2004b, it is not functional. Bots don't realise that they can use vehicles in the arena. However, this is one of the fixes in JB2004c, so bots will use the Raptors from then on. For now though, they can't. Only Mychaeel with a work-in-progress JB2004c can test this bit out.

Matthew Leech
10th May 2005, 05:14 PM
Alright, i'll give it a whirl and edit this post.

Edit:

http://img220.echo.cx/img220/5365/shot000756mt.th.jpg (http://img220.echo.cx/my.php?image=shot000756mt.jpg)

In this pic, it looks like you've moved the door down too far to see the door molding, check to see the others ones that have this. thanks

http://img220.echo.cx/img220/9048/shot000764oe.th.jpg (http://img220.echo.cx/my.php?image=shot000764oe.jpg)

This is what im asuming is what your aiming for. looks good

2. I'd also like to note that the bots (as mentioned before) don't really care about jumping into vehicles (much) like the tank for example

3. I love the arena (i kiss you on the cheek for raptor arena)

ZedMaestro
11th May 2005, 03:40 AM
This is because bots dont think they can use vehicles while roaming... ie they only use vehicles when there is an objective to attack or defend. Mychaeel is working on this.The best thing to do is to keep the bots in the Aggressive or Defensive stance. That way, almost all of them will be either attacking or defending respectively, and very few will be in the roaming state.

ZedMaestro
12th May 2005, 03:33 PM
OK, Beta2 is just about ready, apart from one final thing I'd like to sort out; your vehicles while you're in the enemy base.

When you get out of your vehicle and head for the switches, if you don't return to the vehicle in about 60seconds it will disappear, leaving you stranded at the enemy base. There are a couple of options:

Have neutral vehicles in each base which can be accessed by all players.
Have a team-specific teleporter in each base. For example, in the red base only blue players could teleport to, say, the reinforcement area outside the central blue jail. The principle is similar to the Teleport Releaser addon, but this allows you to hit both switches and then get out of the base.

What do you think?

Angel_Mapper
12th May 2005, 03:37 PM
>:[ ZedMaestro ]

/me runs.

ZedMaestro
12th May 2005, 04:02 PM
* ZedMaestro cries
:'(

Trueblood
12th May 2005, 04:21 PM
Have a team-specific teleporter in each base. For example, in the red base only blue players could teleport to, say, the reinforcement area outside the central blue jail.
good! because i hate the long walk to the middle where the rap is :rolleyes:

Aersik
12th May 2005, 05:34 PM
Personally I say let 'em run, but out of those options I think the teleporter would be better. Although I'm not so sure having neutral vehicles next to the bases would give too much power to the attackers as they can't take them inside, but it would probably make defending it from the outside very difficult.

Hans Oberlander
12th May 2005, 06:28 PM
I agree with aersik 100% (listen to him)

G.Lecter
13th May 2005, 11:21 AM
- Opposite-Team-Teleporters near each base: 3 people.
- Neutral Scorpion & Manta: 1 person (me)
Uh... eh... Seems like I lost :(. G.Lecter cries too... :'(

OK, let's see how those teleporters work :hmm: Waiting for Beta2... ;)

Vatcilli zeitchef
16th May 2005, 03:41 PM
I played the map and actually I like most things how they are
The fact that the vehicles disappear after a time is a good way to prevent Jailswitch camping as you must return to your vehicle soon.
It also is a good way to force teamplay as it is a good reason to put
more than one player in a vehicle so the other can wait at the base entrance.

It still is a darn shame bots do not use the raptors in the arena but
if you say that update fixes that, it is fine by me!

If there is an unreal server link please Ignore it, This is the first message I send and I really don't know how to remove it!
My server does not work anyway!

Mychaeel
17th May 2005, 05:23 AM
You also need the JBExecutionFreeze actor. (http://mychaeel.no-ip.com/public/JBExecutionFreeze.zip)
For the final release, could you please embed it into the map?

ZedMaestro
17th May 2005, 06:03 AM
OK... and how do i do that? :p

Also Mych, does the arena work as expected with the updated bot code?

Mychaeel
17th May 2005, 06:45 AM
OK... and how do i do that? :p
Unreal Wiki: Embedding Code (http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Embedding_Code) :p

Also Mych, does the arena work as expected with the updated bot code?
Depends on your expectations. ;)

I haven't tried your most recent beta release yet, but with the one I tested, bots entered the Raptors and engaged in battle until one of them was dead.

expisCoR
17th May 2005, 11:32 AM
Have a team-specific teleporter in each base. For example, in the red base only blue players could teleport to, say, the reinforcement area outside the central blue jail. The principle is similar to the Teleport Releaser addon, but this allows you to hit both switches and then get out of the base.

Hmm, you can have a team-specific teleporter?

/me returns to map-making

tarquin
17th May 2005, 02:23 PM
For the final release, could you please embed it into the map?

Since this map has to wait for the next version of Jailbreak, can't the freeze execution go in JBToolbox?

Mychaeel
18th May 2005, 04:35 AM
Well... yes, that was the plan eventually, and I suppose the arena bots not using their Raptors are a showstopper until Jailbreak 2004c (2005?) is released...

Vatcilli zeitchef
18th May 2005, 05:36 AM
About the Raptor roof... yes, its intentional that the doors dont open. I'll see if I can set up something that kills the pawns who are stupid enough to get there.

Another Edit: With the currently-available actors its not possible to fix that. I need a volume that can only damage players who are not in vehicles.

I think I know a way! You'll need A Triggered death actor A trigger and an Attachmover,
The attachmover drags the triggerdeath away from the opening during the trigger control time. But you need make the trigger only react on raptors
like this the triggerdeath will only kill when there are no raptors in that exit!

I still don't know how to get rid of this link I HAVE NO UNREAL SERVER!!!! :hmm:

ZedMaestro
18th May 2005, 06:19 AM
The link is in your signature. Pop into your User CP (button at the top) and find the link to edit your signature.

Vatcilli zeitchef
18th May 2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the help! To tell the truth I forgot about those Unreal tags,
I thought they were to display Unreal Icons next to the name :lol:

Dam'n I'm stupid!
but at least I Admit it!

By the way Could the Raptor trigger I mentioned work? Probably not :( ....

ZedMaestro
18th May 2005, 02:53 PM
The basic principle of what you suggested should work, but considerably more simply than what you suggested. There already is a mover (the door is, obviously, but there is another for collision purposes), and volumes can be attached to them. Physics volumes can inflict damage, so it might work.

I'm sure I tried something like this before, but I'll have another go.

Hans Oberlander
9th Jun 2005, 11:53 PM
Was this abandoned zed?

CoolDude
10th Jun 2005, 01:06 AM
Nope, it's probably my fault. ;)

Vatcilli zeitchef
11th Jun 2005, 03:01 AM
So you are still working on it?
Phew
was already afraid you gived up!
Would have been a darn shame.

Spudsy
11th Jun 2005, 10:30 AM
Yeah I picked up this map yesterday and it's pretty huge. It's a nice map though, and the theme is well thought out and intergrated into the stage. I love the execution sequence, that I must say is genious. Nice map, keep up the good work Zed.

ZedMaestro
11th Jun 2005, 02:16 PM
All the bugs/suggested features for RimeValley were implemented ages ago; the problem at the moment is informing the, for example, red bots that they cannot use a TeamTeleporter that only allows blue players through, and vice versa.

If you know all about code and want to help out, pop along to this thread (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=159670) and help out CoolDude.

ZedMaestro
16th Jun 2005, 04:42 PM
Well, through no understanding of my own, I seem to have fixed CoolDude's code for the two separate actors "RedTeleporter" and "BlueTeleporter" (whose purpose should be self-explanatory). And when I say its "fixed", my testing strategy was to watch the scoreboard map for a 15minute game, once as blue and once as red. If I saw any dot hang about in the general vicinity of the teleporters I would check if the bot was trying to use the teleporter. Even when ordering them to attack or defend, no bots tried to use a teleporter which they couldn't use. \o/

Also, the "idiots get stuck when they fall into the Raptor roof area" issue has been resolved with the simple addition of an IonCannonKillVolume, which conveniently has a setting to avoid firing upon flying vehicles. :)

Which means that, finally, Beta2 of this map can be released. :D

Don't forget, the map is basically unable to be fully released until JB2004c has been released, due to the vehicle arena. :rolleyes:

JB-RimeValley-Beta2 (http://mychaeel.no-ip.com/download/zedmaestro/JB-RimeValley-Beta2.rar)

CoolDude
16th Jun 2005, 05:17 PM
Don't forget to mention in the readme that you need to have the ECE bonuspack installed to run this map. ;)

As mentioned in the team teleporter thread (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=159670) they sometimes seem to work OK. :D
I'm gonna put the log-info back in and check them out :)

Hans Oberlander
17th Jun 2005, 02:02 AM
Hey zed, did a runthrough again a long time since the 1st beta.

1 have 1 issue and one probably non-issue

1. I died while trying to escape and my body flew through the jail might want to make the collision for that

http://img298.echo.cx/img298/1651/shot000822dn.th.jpg (http://img298.echo.cx/my.php?image=shot000822dn.jpg)

This glass isn't frosted but u prob want it this way.

CoolDude
17th Jun 2005, 06:46 AM
I checked the RedTeleporters/BlueTeleporters by putting the log-info back in, and indeed your teleporters do work OK. :)ScriptLog: JB-RimeValley-Beta2b.BlueTeleporter0 SpecialCost Aryss Player= 1 Teleporter= 1 OK
ScriptLog: JB-RimeValley-Beta2b.BlueTeleporter0 SpecialCost Baird Player= 0 Teleporter= 1 EXTRACOST

ScriptLog: JB-RimeValley-Beta2b.RedTeleporter1 SpecialCost Satin Player= 0 Teleporter= 0 OK
ScriptLog: JB-RimeValley-Beta2b.RedTeleporter1 SpecialCost Othello Player= 1 Teleporter= 0 EXTRACOSTYou only needed to put in one RedTeleporter and one BlueTeleporter (the destination teleporter can be a normal teleporter), but it works now, so leave them.
You did get rid of the log-calls in the SpecialCost() fuction, but forgot to remove the log-calls in the PostBeginPlay() and Touch() functions. You can just remove them too (and Rebuild Changed Scripts).

The bots harldy make use of the teleporters. This is not because the teleporters don't work, it's because for bots there seems to be nothing of interest in the basement of the enemies base, so they hardly ever show their face there. In a 15 minute 16-vs-16 botgame 1 bot made use of the teleporter once.

G.Lecter
17th Jun 2005, 11:12 AM
Teleporters work well, good job CoolDude... :clap:
Some more suggestions for the map:
- Why don't you try to make a teleporter effect with high-speed-tunnels, like it's done in DM-UCMP-BloodRun?
- I miss much more coldness in the execution, what about placing some more wind emmitters?
- I think a teleporter base (with no emmiter) should be on each Teleporter exit... :rolleyes:
- The water/ice texture in the arena repeats too much... :con: scale it up?
- I've been trying to use the escape jumpads, but they don't kick me well through the hole... A bot also tried to jump and his head hit the ceiling too... :con:

expisCoR
17th Jun 2005, 12:27 PM
Hans: last I checked, there wasn't any glass there. (And I like it that way.)

Hans Oberlander
17th Jun 2005, 03:07 PM
Yep, theres glass, just a normal pane of glass.

Spudsy
17th Jun 2005, 04:16 PM
Nope Hans, you're wrong, there is no piece of glass there, you can jump out of them base from there.

ZedMaestro
17th Jun 2005, 04:18 PM
Fine I'll add some more "wind" emitters.
Are "hi-speed" tunnels really necessary?
I suppose I could add that teleporter-base mesh there if you want.
OK I'll scale-up that water texture.
The "escape jumppad" (which is actually an xKicker :B) is meant to push you away randomly. Its difficult to get in the right place once you've hit the button alone, but when more humans are playing if someone is waiting on the vent and jumps at the right time when the button is pressed they have a good chance of escaping.
I dont know whether this would work or not, but a human-ladder on the vent could make things interesting too ;)

Sexmachine
28th Jun 2005, 03:09 AM
The skybox is still unfinished - right?

TheSpoonDog
28th Jun 2005, 04:30 AM
Man u stole my skybox idea :(

ZedMaestro
28th Jun 2005, 04:49 AM
What the hell? :con:

I don't see anything like that and it looks like a problem with DistanceFog or because you've hidden the SkyBox. I don't have a clue whats happened there. :(

The_Head
28th Jun 2005, 05:36 AM
FAllback textures perhaps?

Aersik
28th Jun 2005, 06:44 AM
The skybox looks fine on my machine, but you might want to check for gaps between the smeshes and the terrain around the edges of the map. Quite a few of them had holes large enough to fit an xloc beacon, and one or two of them had holes large enough to fit a manta. The smeshes away form the edges all looked fine.

G.Lecter
28th Jun 2005, 11:44 AM
I don't have any problem with the skybox, except when typing Show fog in the console... I'm sure Sexmachine did the same and he's only joking... ;)

Spudsy
28th Jun 2005, 02:39 PM
Yeah the skybox seems absolutely fine on my computer. Sex your comp is just f'ed up dude. Kidding, but seriously, my comp shows the skybox needs no fixing.

ZedMaestro
29th Jun 2005, 09:02 AM
Well I've fixed the holes behind the cliffs. Now the map just needs a high-player-count online play, which hopefully will happen on Sunday. Make sure you get all the required files (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=1842842&postcount=2)

Kantham
29th Jun 2005, 10:12 AM
Yet another skybox glitch.

Hey zed, glad to see your a Lurker too! :o

ZedMaestro
29th Jun 2005, 11:07 AM
Hmm? You've got the skybox problem too? wtf? :con:

Kantham
29th Jun 2005, 12:12 PM
Nhan, It's just because that skybox seems problematic lately, let me check that out...

Edit: well , zed , your skybox don't have any textures, at all. I don't know what you want to do there, but if you want to use a solid texture only, you need to make a texture that is exacly the same as the fog's one

If you want a good looking skybox , ask me. (and yes i removed the fog on the pic)

Spudsy
29th Jun 2005, 02:15 PM
My thing is okay you have removed the fog and the skybox has no textures but, will you be able to even see anything at all through the heavy fog. I mean yeah if a difference can be noticed, you should add a texture to it, but no one will be able to tell the difference, then all adding a texture is gonna do is increase the file size.

G.Lecter
29th Jun 2005, 03:48 PM
My thing is okay you have removed the fog and the skybox has no textures but, will you be able to even see anything at all through the heavy fog. I mean yeah if a difference can be noticed, you should add a texture to it, but no one will be able to tell the difference, then all adding a texture is gonna do is increase the file size.
I agree. It's no use making a skybox if no one will see it. I like so much fog in the map, it makes a great ambience and keeps the framerates high... :)
Anyway, the blue 'sky' texture could be replaced by a 16x16 square texture with the same colour as the fog and the filesize could become a bit lower... ;)

Spudsy
29th Jun 2005, 06:46 PM
Now my good friend G. Lecter here has got it down. The heavy fog really give you some great ambience and the framerates stay high with it. The thick fog really helps you plunge deeper into this world or map that has been created. It may sound trite, but it helps you more fuse with the enviornment better than a normal skybox.

Sexmachine
3rd Jul 2005, 12:10 PM
The skybox problem happens on Angie's PC aswell and I doubt it has something to do with a b00rked installation. Any idea on that one?

The_Head
3rd Jul 2005, 12:20 PM
I get the same problem on a couple of maps. Is it set to a "sky" texture normally but showing up wrong? it could be automaticly going to a fallback texture for some reason. I don't know how these work though.

The_Head
7th Jul 2005, 04:36 PM
Couldnt find any bugs anywhere.

Only thing I saw was a corona in the jail that wasn't perfectly in the middle.... perhaps make it larger when you are closer up, will look better.

Only other problem was through the lack of players. nothing you can do about that there mate ;)

Vatcilli zeitchef
31st Jul 2005, 09:57 AM
I thought it was ment that you could not go back inside via the raptor roof
after some tries I got through anyway and there was some hideous fog.
I don't know what could have been causing that.
Oh and is there any news on the release of utjb2004c?

Sexmachine
7th Nov 2012, 08:01 PM
Here is the latest version (Beta3, but its as good/finished as a RC) of the map and the needed .u file:

www.olivergnau.de/planetjailbreak/JBExecutionFreeze.zip
www.olivergnau.de/planetjailbreak/JB-RimeValley-Beta3.zip

... not sure how to go on with that. :/

From the months, maybe even year ago that this was made, as far as I remember it was fairly well tested. I don't remember anymore changes being needed; it was merely waiting for JB2004c ;).

Wormbo
8th Nov 2012, 02:18 AM
Uhm, "server not found" on those links.

[edit]
Ah, Firefox interpret those backslashes as part of the name. :con:

[edit2]
I'll fix up the map to use JBToolbox2 instead of the separate freeze execution package. We've included that in the toolbox code a long time ago. (Then again, everything we did was a long time ago. :rolleyes: )

Sexmachine
8th Nov 2012, 10:26 AM
[edit2]
I'll fix up the map to use JBToolbox2 instead of the separate freeze execution package. We've included that in the toolbox code a long time ago. (Then again, everything we did was a long time ago. :rolleyes: )

:tup: Sounds great and make sure to get rid of that "beta3" tag as well. ;)

Wormbo
8th Nov 2012, 11:04 AM
I just gave the map a playtest, and I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed. The map is simply far too big for any kind of proper Jailbreak game. Even though I played with 29 adept bots (the map is marked as ideal for 20-28 players), it took quite some time to see anyone. Also it looks like prisoners are always sent to only one of the two jails per team. That makes the freezing execution look a bit weird. The emitters and sounds are long done, but still players get frozen one after another. Surely creates a creepy "when is it going to be my turn?" atmosphere, but takes too long with all (up to) 16 players in the same jail.

As a result of the map size and the base layout, it's probably impossible for only a few left-over players to sneak into the enemy base and release their team. And although I created the JBGoliathFactory, I'd rather not see a tank in a Jailbreak map. It may be slow, but the map lacks anti-tank weapons for infantry (which on the other hand would be devastating against Scorpions or Mantas).
Winning the map in a bot game is easy: Grab the tank, set your team on defense and Camp either in front of the base or on the hill opposite to it. You only need to wait for the bots in the Minigun turrets to point out incoming enemy players. Those that don't make it through the bullet hail will be blown to pieces by the Goliath cannon, even if it's another Goliath.

Another problem I see is that we don't really have any other maps of that size, let alone the opportunity to fill a jailbreak server with 32 players. Most other maps (except maybe Oasis) are entirely unsuited for that player count - just think of Basmma or Crusher with half that player count. ;)

But to end this post with a good thing: The Radar add-on is really handy on this map. You don't need to rely on the directional indicator (which flickers like crazy when a team is about to be captured :D) to decide which switch to go for. The switch for the jail with prisoners pulses so you can make plans way before you arrive at the base.

[edit]
And another good thing: The design might work well for an Onslaught conversion. After Savo Island this might be the second Jailbreak map that could end up on one of the 32 player Onslaught servers.

Bloodyboy
8th Nov 2012, 03:05 PM
I just gave the map a playtest, and I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed. The map is simply far too big for any kind of proper Jailbreak game. Even though I played with 29 adept bots (the map is marked as ideal for 20-28 players), it took quite some time to see anyone. Also it looks like prisoners are always sent to only one of the two jails per team. That makes the freezing execution look a bit weird. The emitters and sounds are long done, but still players get frozen one after another. Surely creates a creepy "when is it going to be my turn?" atmosphere, but takes too long with all (up to) 16 players in the same jail.

As a result of the map size and the base layout, it's probably impossible for only a few left-over players to sneak into the enemy base and release their team. And although I created the JBGoliathFactory, I'd rather not see a tank in a Jailbreak map. It may be slow, but the map lacks anti-tank weapons for infantry (which on the other hand would be devastating against Scorpions or Mantas).
Winning the map in a bot game is easy: Grab the tank, set your team on defense and Camp either in front of the base or on the hill opposite to it. You only need to wait for the bots in the Minigun turrets to point out incoming enemy players. Those that don't make it through the bullet hail will be blown to pieces by the Goliath cannon, even if it's another Goliath.

Another problem I see is that we don't really have any other maps of that size, let alone the opportunity to fill a jailbreak server with 32 players. Most other maps (except maybe Oasis) are entirely unsuited for that player count - just think of Basmma or Crusher with half that player count. ;)

But to end this post with a good thing: The Radar add-on is really handy on this map. You don't need to rely on the directional indicator (which flickers like crazy when a team is about to be captured :D) to decide which switch to go for. The switch for the jail with prisoners pulses so you can make plans way before you arrive at the base.

Yeah, I read the last posts of ZedMaestro ... he was completely screwed by the heroine towards the end.