WinME

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nebel

Aloof
Apr 28, 2001
Around
I currently have WinME on my PC. Something's happened that has me puzzled.

For years, from startup, it'd go straight to my desktop... no questions asked. Now, the User Login box pops up every time... and I can't seem to turn it off.

I try entering nothing for both fields, but it just comes back and says "You forgot to enter your BS!" I'll hit the X just to close out of it.. but next time I start my PC that box comes back to haunt me once again.

I'm sure there's a simple solution I'm overlooking... any help?

Thanks.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
dl powertoys/tweak UI for win xp.

There is a tab in the program ..I think its "Security" or "log on" that lets you type in your user name and pw for auto log on.

If there is no username or pw then auto log on anyways.

I dont know how to undo what you are saying, but the suggestion above is a work around.

GoldenMouse

Mad Hatter
Nov 14, 2001
Backwoods Ohio
Visit site
WinME is the bastard child of MS that nobody likes to talk about. It was only on the market for a short time, and with good reason! You won't find a more bug-ridden OS. If at all possible, you should switch over to something else. Else, good luck on using a work-around.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Well for some reason it does work well for a small percentage of the market when it shipped. Consider Nebel a small percentage.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Well if you remove "client for microsoft networks" will take out a lot of crap,i allways removed it,dialup or dsl all still worked perfectly.then switch it to "windows logon" or unless you need network neighborhood,dont remove the client.
then check "passwords" in the control panal make sure its "all users use the same password."

A windows tip,for 98 ,2000 or ME
there is the shell icon cache file that you cant mess with in any way,if you want to shrink it and have it rebuild the cache again,just hit the screen properties
see.."effects" just change the icon size,then change it back.
it will shrink the file,but only to be re added to again.
But i think it will also get rid of old icons.

And winME worked flawlessly,and still does,whoever bashes winME ,makes me laugh.
I have win2000 on here now,and it's ok,plus i got it to boot and run 50meg after boot up.,thats the same way i ran winME 98% free after boot.

Nebel

Aloof
Apr 28, 2001
Around
ReD_Fist said:
unless you need network neighborhood,dont remove the client.
I share a printer with another computer, so that unfortunately doesn't work.

I think I'm just gonna go to a restore point and work backwards. Or is that working forwards?

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Well if I had your system here I could fix it up amd make it run snappy.
I have been messing up windows since 3.1,so I learned mega stuff by trashing my system.
And now win2000 same thing,I guess i am gonna be doing another install,but each time I learn what I don't want running etc etc.
well all i can say is you have somthing running causing the login,or a setting..

you could try "boot logging" when you boot up hit f8 then select that.then get a small program called bootloganalyzer
it will be
"bla.exe" it lets you see the failures,times of each to booting ,and files it uses.

http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32_freeware.html

Last edited:

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
GoldenMouse said:
Define "98% free".

you know when you click on computer properties? win 98 amd ME.

but all i had running was explorer.

another windows tip.
If you don't want "systray.exe" loaded uncheck in the multimedia section of the control panal "show volume on taskbar",then use config manager to not let it run upon boot.
it's config.exe ? or concfg.exe? or somthing like that ,i can't remember but they took it out of win2000.

Then drag down a shortcut of the sound blaster mixer in the taskbar for setting the volumn.
And I am not sure if youl still hear "windows" sounds,I think it will stay,but I allways have "no sounds" just got used to it,but the sounds are ok.

But for me anything ! running that I don't need is best for me and ME lol.................

GoldenMouse

Mad Hatter
Nov 14, 2001
Backwoods Ohio
Visit site
ReD_Fist said:
you know when you click on computer properties? win 98 amd ME.

No, and how does a percent figure in?

ReD_Fist said:
But for me anything ! running that I don't need is best for me and ME lol.................

I'm being dead serious when I say that I only understand what you're saying half the time. Don't take this personally, but your sentences lack punctuation and proper grammar, your thoughts are scattered and fragmented, and I usually end up skipping them due to illegibility. Please, make an effort to write better. I guarantee you that people will respect you much more.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
people sure don't have a problem reading my crappy punctuation if I bitch about somthing hehe.
See you have to be smarter to follow what I am saying,live the words don't just read them..

Dec 21, 2001
monotony
Visit site
ReD_Fist said:
See you have to be smarter to follow what I am saying,live the words don't just read them..

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111!!!!!!!!!!111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GoldenMouse

Mad Hatter
Nov 14, 2001
Backwoods Ohio
Visit site
ReD_Fist said:
people sure don't have a problem reading my crappy punctuation if I bitch about somthing hehe.

I do, and I'm sure others do as well. Even if it's possible to figure out what you are saying, it still takes time and effort for people to read your posts, just because you were too lazy to punctuate properly. That tells me that you either don't have any respect for anybody else, or you really don't care. In either case, if you're too lazy to write legibly, I and others will be too lazy to read it.