PDA

View Full Version : deck-16]|[ anyone?

leafo
24th Apr 2005, 08:00 PM
Not that deck 16 was much different than 17... I am just curious as to where they are going next. To 18, sticking with 17, or back to 16.

http://www.leafo.net/screens/ut2k4/Shot00031.jpg

Just thought of this when I was going through my screens, it would be cool to bring back number 16.

McTank
24th Apr 2005, 08:19 PM
I am looking forward to Deck 18. Deck 16 and Deck 17 were both good. I think a Deck should be designed specifically for Unreal Tournament Envy with more things to do, more places to go. etc.

24th Apr 2005, 09:27 PM
It said 16 was being renovated. Which means it isn't going be the same map. It would be cute if they had deck 16 in the next ut so it matched what that sign hints.

FireCrack
24th Apr 2005, 09:33 PM
It never notes the majority of the rennovations.

edhe
25th Apr 2005, 04:38 AM
I wish to god they'd either drop it completely, or make it a nice map.

It was never a particularly great map to start with, and it's been rehashed countless times. But as things are at the moment they'll likely rehash a deck 17, to replace the 2k4 version unless they re-do Jumpboots and maybe rename it back to 16ish maybe.

But i think most of us would rather have some good new maps.

B
25th Apr 2005, 06:55 AM

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a bad map. :p

SharKTanK
25th Apr 2005, 09:52 AM
Something a little like Deck40 (http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=6805) could be a fresh change. Not exactly a Deck remake, but still recognisable to a certain degree. Could fit really well into the Envy theme imo.

25th Apr 2005, 01:08 PM

It was never a particularly great map to start with, and it's been rehashed countless times. But as things are at the moment they'll likely rehash a deck 17, to replace the 2k4 version unless they re-do Jumpboots and maybe rename it back to 16ish maybe.

But i think most of us would rather have some good new maps.
Yeah, it usually turns into a campfest, especially in organized play.

Selerox
25th Apr 2005, 01:21 PM
Deck18 is going to happen, like it or not. I just hope they don't make it red next time.

Ignotium
25th Apr 2005, 01:25 PM
LOL, who the fuk cares about Deck-16,17,18,19,40,45,78...
I just wanna see "Deck" the original one, the mother of all Decks, THE Deck

I'd really love to see Deck 16 and 17 redone

The_Head
25th Apr 2005, 04:00 PM
Somit like TheDeck2004. that map was a wicked version of it.

cmon a UT game without Deck, we can't have that.

Discord
25th Apr 2005, 04:05 PM
Somit like TheDeck2004. that map was a wicked version of it.

cmon a UT game without Deck, we can't have that.

You're right on that score, you really can't have UT without deck. You have two choices:

1. One official Deck from Epic.

or

2. 500,000 Deck remakes from the community, like we saw in UT2k3.

Same goes, unfortunately, for Face as well. Seems that Deck and Face have become, for reasons unbeknownst, the signature maps of the series. Given the choice outlined above, I'll take the easy way out thanks. :lol:

-AEnubis-
25th Apr 2005, 05:28 PM
Indeed. I think Curse will be the same way. Epic might as well keep re-doing them because if they don't, a ton of other people will (try anyways).

I really did like maps like Souvenir, and TheDeck2004. Plunge was a little far fetched, but Morpheus wasn't an extrordinarly serious map anyways.

I'd really like to see boots, and movemnt back like it was in UT. I'd have no beefs with many classic maps coming back. I'd also have no beef with a lot more BSP work being done instead of SX work all over the place.

NeoNite
25th Apr 2005, 07:23 PM

I'd really love to see Deck 16 and 17 redone

Yes, the original Deck16. The bland, super ugly, hideous monstrosity filled with puke green/blue/red colours.

Great level!

If you want to start puking, that is.

Deck17 didn't look that bad.

Deck16][ is one of the ugliest stock maps in UT.

Majik
25th Apr 2005, 10:18 PM
Yes, the original Deck16. The bland, super ugly, hideous monstrosity filled with puke green/blue/red colours.

Great level!

If you want to start puking, that is.

Deck17 didn't look that bad.

Deck16][ is one of the ugliest stock maps in UT.

I don't think that's a valid point considering the map will be remade on an engine that is several generations ahead of the original Unreal engine. Plus
I'd attribute that to the bland lighting and slightly boring textures, which is bound to look sharper and more vivid on the UE3 engine.

I'm kinda undecided on whether I'd prefer Deck 16 or 17 (if one of them were to be remade). For nostalgic reasons I'd prefer Deck 16, but for gameplay reasons I'd prefer Deck 17 with the added "bio-passage", which IMO improved the general flow of the map (but TBH, I'm a bit iffy about remaking what was originally a community-made map).

fresh&minty
25th Apr 2005, 10:24 PM
IMHO **** deck, and the rest of the maps.

Let's make something NEW. Old remakes just end up in the old players (the current competitive TDM crew) rampaging people. It's not productive.

New maps plz.

Raden
25th Apr 2005, 10:55 PM
Yeah, yeah, people all say they want something new, but the old maps (read: Deck and Face) always end up getting remade, don't they. So Epic might as well make one official version so that we don't need everyone else's imperfect pieces of crap with 20 versions floating around.

They're going to be in, whether Epic puts them in or the community does, so deal with it.

fresh&minty
26th Apr 2005, 12:01 AM
err deck is hated, outside of it's few fans (same with face) and never EVER gets picked by teams.. instead it's forced down their gullets in events... so yes kill it NOW.

AMmayhem
26th Apr 2005, 01:36 AM
I for one can't wait to see the next remix of Deck-16. The added bio hall in 17 is ok, but I think it's unneccessary.

But anyways, I'll still get it even if it doesn't have Deck-16. I just hope the maps that do come with it have good gameplay. :)

Bang Yr Head
26th Apr 2005, 01:45 AM
IMHO **** deck, and the rest of the maps.

Let's make something NEW. Old remakes just end up in the old players (the current competitive TDM crew) rampaging people. It's not productive.

New maps plz.

quoted for truth

nostalgia sucks.

Kronon
26th Apr 2005, 07:26 AM
I always liked the attack/defend type of teamplay that deck provides for clanwars, although against better clans it can be a bit frustrating (not as bad as grendelkeep though).

/Kronon

Black_Seeds
26th Apr 2005, 09:00 AM
Deck is one of those maps that has hundreds of remakes. If there was a stock Deck map at least you wouldnt have to download several differnt kinds of Decks when you joined a server.

NeoNite
26th Apr 2005, 11:07 AM
I don't think that's a valid point considering the map will be remade on an engine that is several generations ahead of the original Unreal engine. Plus
I'd attribute that to the bland lighting and slightly boring textures, which is bound to look sharper and more vivid on the UE3 engine.

I know, I was only talking about the old deck levels.

It'd be pathetic if a new "original" deck16 look that bad (and cloned) in the new UT game, wouldn't it.

^_^

JaFO
26th Apr 2005, 11:21 AM
An 'official' version won't stop the clones and crappy copies.
Just look at the 'Face'-version in UT2k3 ...

So I'd rather have Epic use their precious time to invent/create new & original maps instead. The 'classics' won't fit as they'd have to be completely redesigned with the new weapons & movement-options in mind.

NeoNite
26th Apr 2005, 11:28 AM
An 'official' version won't stop the clones and crappy copies.

People just hated that big pyramid in the middle, right?

They were just too focused, and still are, on the true classic look of facing worlds ^_^

The_Head
26th Apr 2005, 11:35 AM
err deck is hated, outside of it's few fans (same with face) and never EVER gets picked by teams.. instead it's forced down their gullets in events... so yes kill it NOW.

Oh yeh. Everyone remakes it over and over again because they hate it....... right.......

I prefer Deck 17, the extra room is an improvement gameplay wise. Although as many people would I want to see something in a different style even if it is the same basic layout.

Discord
26th Apr 2005, 01:55 PM

Lol @ Face3

Epic --> :morety: <-- CTF players

But then, Face3 didn't stop the remake because it wasn't really a proper remake. And as boring as I find Face to be, I gotta admit that Teddie did a great job with his port. And his Deck is OK too.

Majik
26th Apr 2005, 03:17 PM
I know, I was only talking about the old deck levels.

It'd be pathetic if a new "original" deck16 look that bad (and cloned) in the new UT game, wouldn't it.

^_^

Then I'm not really sure I understand what your point was?

Bazzi
26th Apr 2005, 04:02 PM
Nostalgia > Innovation

I want Deck and Face in every UT no matter what :P

Hunter
26th Apr 2005, 04:33 PM

I'm with Stra, I would love to see Deck

NeoNite
26th Apr 2005, 05:09 PM
Then I'm not really sure I understand what your point was?

Make up a story ;O)

Raden
26th Apr 2005, 09:52 PM
Nostalgia > Innovation

I want Deck and Face in every UT no matter what :P
Quite frankly, so do I. Hell, I still play ARIZA for God's sake. You know, the Unreal 1 level someone made for UT (best remake ever), then UT2003, and then it happened to work in UT2004?

Yeah. I want that one too.

And UT Lavagiant.

If the game only had those four maps, I would be just fine. It's all I really play anyway. Why? All this "innovative and new" stuff in mapping feels all the same to me.

In one word:

http://ua.beyondunreal.com/staff/nem/smilies/yuck.gif

You want some real innovation? Do yourselves a favour and get the latest U4E for UT2K4, and then download VCTF-U4E-Sterlingflood.

That is innovation. That is the quality of stuff worth keeping.

Discord
27th Apr 2005, 12:41 AM
UT Lavagiant.

Teh RAWK. If movement is "toned down" like they say in the next release, Lavagiant is an absolute must. They can keep CTF-Magma. They can keep other "innovative" stuff like DM-TokaraForest, CTF-Chrome, CTF-DE-ElecFields and DM-Gestalt as well. And gimme some DM-Baricade while they're at it.

Meh... not all the 2kX official stuff was bad. Rankin's a keeper, Antalus is OK, Compressed and Asbestos are probably classics by now, Citadel's all right, Grendelkeep is nice both for DM and CTF... it goes on.

Somebody ought to try to compile the "canon" list of maps from all UT iterations and Unreal. Some of the new ones are good, and UT... well, UT had DM-Peak. :lol:

Bazzi
27th Apr 2005, 04:50 AM
Yeah I play the lavagiant remake by Spoondog all the time >;)

edhe
27th Apr 2005, 05:28 AM
There's plenty maps that should be remade if Deck gets remade, imho maps like Agony, Malevolence, viridian dreams and the original Phobos should be redone in that case..

imho phobos was a far better map for DM than Deck.

NeoNite
27th Apr 2005, 06:16 AM
There's plenty maps that should be remade if Deck gets remade, imho maps like Agony, Malevolence, viridian dreams and the original Phobos should be redone in that case..

imho phobos was a far better map for DM than Deck.

There's no comparing. Phobos is an entire different league than deck16 could ever be in. Deck16 is ... meh .. while phobos is :tup:
Just my take on it.

Dm-barricade: Eh, it's so cramped in UT. That's why I ended up hating the map.
The lift jumps were nice though.

B
27th Apr 2005, 10:35 AM
While we're at it, I'd like to see a remake of DOM-Olden..oh wait..they took out the only cool gametype and replaced it with the crap DDOM which they also took out....Nevermind...:nag:

And what's with all the hate against deck? If you don't like it don't play it. But don't go saying it shouldn't be in at all. You not liking it doesn't mean it sucks. IMO it's one of the best maps ever made for FFA DM.

The_Head
27th Apr 2005, 11:43 AM
I like Deck....
I want to see some of the classic maps in, they can get rid of loads though that are unpopular. Maps like Rankin, Grendle, 1on1-Roughinery and most of the other 1on1 maps must stay. If Roughinery doesn't I'l map it..... love that map.
I never really got into Phobos, hated the lo gravity bits.
Oh yeh, I wasnt a fan of Spoondogs remake of Lavagiant for UT2004. I much prefer the version from the DE bonus Pack. Looks so much nicer and plays the same iirc

-AEnubis-
27th Apr 2005, 04:25 PM
IMO it's one of the best maps ever made for FFA DM.

There in is where the discrepency lies. It was magnificent for that, but organized DM it was a sniper control map. You had to have a bot to survive up there with more then 5 people in FFA (or shoot enough like one).

Personally, I'd like to see them do a bunch of new release titles, and then if they decide to do any classic maps, and UT maps are more appropriate, like because of scaling, and a possible return of the jump boots, then do a official classic map pack, and port a bunch of UT greats, so the community maybe doesn't.

Agony, Bishop, Grit, Viridian, Malevolence, Codex, Curse, Liandri, and Closer, would be some I'd like to see again.

Kronon
28th Apr 2005, 04:25 AM
Deck was by far the most played map in UT99, and if Epic is taking a step back towards UT, it seems only natural they remake Deck as well. Hopefully with jumpboots this time.

It would be fun to see some more remakes from UT99, like Turbine, Liandri, Codex and Gothic. Maps like Phobos can RIP for all I care.

/Kronon

Ignotium
30th Apr 2005, 02:53 AM
Deck-16 MUST be remade, not the same feeling for Deck-17

BooGiTyBoY
30th Apr 2005, 11:14 AM
GRENDELKEEP 4 LIFE!!!!

If one map makes it through the entire series I'd like it to be this one.

It's fun, it's fast, can be learned easily by a new player, and can be used in multiple gametypes. It's the perfect all-purpose map and one of my all time favs.

-AEnubis-
30th Apr 2005, 03:23 PM
To hell with DM-DE-Hit-ScanKeep. Unless Goo replaces the LtG, and shock primary RoF shoots through the roof. Then it may be a much less poacher friendly map.

BooGiTyBoY
30th Apr 2005, 03:27 PM
Its fun if you stay away from those things...
I guess I likes it lots cuz I'm not what you would call a hitscan player :)

I like it mostly due to it's ever-present opportunities for air rox/flak/goop and ease of movement aorund the level. Ya gotta admit it flows rather nicely. :)

carmatic
30th Apr 2005, 09:12 PM
deck16 is like, umm... well, i dunnoe...

-AEnubis-
30th Apr 2005, 11:48 PM
I've had some really pretty frags on it, and yeah, it's got a cool lay-out. It just epitomizes one of my new pet-peeves in this game when played competatively.

Deck has an awesome layout too. Most gripes are with it's colors, textures, and it's sniper friendlyness. Gameplay > Graphics. Aside from those two "problems" it's a brilliant map. FFA cures the hit-scan problem that is experienced with it in competative games. It's another one of those maps that is great for highlights when played with a little honor. It's very possible that depending on what they do with the weapons, it could come out to be a much better map then it ever was. Or the complete opposite could happen.

This is another major concern that will prolly be the main determining factor with what maps they bring back. Some maps are just not right without the items they were originally written with. Personally, I have never thought Curse was nearly as cool without the acoustic dampener to silence your minigun. Deck without the toxin suit lacked something as well, then it lost the ripper, and the boots...

We picked up a Grinder remake, and only played it twice before deleting it from our LAN server. It's a good remake, but without the Ripper, it's just no the same. You know Barricade wasn't even thought twice about since no boots.

shadow_dragon
1st May 2005, 03:25 AM
What's the point in having a sniper in a game if there are no sniper friendly-ish maps?

I've played dozens of games that give you a sniper rifle that is NEVER usefull, ever. UT is different and the fact it has one or two sniper friendly maps keeps the sniper using players happy and offline bot play sniping is kind of satisfying on your lazy days!

I never really got into Deck myself and when i heard about it's popularity i tried it out a bit more regularly. I still do ocasionally when i test mutators and such out but... still i don't find it terribly fun but then...... I liked Morpheus!

That said though i would like an updated Deck map and, if nothing else a Deck themed map, one that carries the style of it over with a new layout. UT should certainly keep it's themes and remember it's successes. (Saying it's a bad map is all well and good but it's more succesfull than the others and that's what counts!)

-AEnubis-
1st May 2005, 04:30 AM
What's the point in having a sniper in a game if there are no sniper friendly-ish maps?

You're right. They should lose the Sniper Rifle all together :D

shadow_dragon
1st May 2005, 04:35 AM
You're right. They should lose the Sniper Rifle all together :D

I just knew you'd say that!

JohnDoe641
1st May 2005, 05:00 AM
But it's so true. :D

Ignotium
1st May 2005, 03:26 PM
I hope for a WELL SCALLED HYPERBLAST

But anyways, the map thats missing on envy, the map that i'll map

wtf?

Salvatore
3rd May 2005, 02:02 PM
Any map with 3 shields (including one super) overdoes it IMO. All you need to ruin a nice friendly game is one pro player who can time all three and he's invincible. More so than any other map.

If it's gonna be as newb-friendly as it has been suggested, cut Deck loose or drop one of the shields.

AMmayhem
3rd May 2005, 03:31 PM
Any map with 3 shields (including one super) overdoes it IMO. All you need to ruin a nice friendly game is one pro player who can time all three and he's invincible. More so than any other map.

If it's gonna be as newb-friendly as it has been suggested, cut Deck loose or drop one of the shields.

If the armor is what's ruining Deck-16, you should've played the original one. There was only the shieldbelt where the 100 armor is now. The others were just chest armor (probably weaker then current 50 armor) and a toxin suit.

Ahh, those were the days...

carmatic
3rd May 2005, 05:35 PM
yaaa!! bring back the toxin suit!!! quite what for, i dunnoe... it was only good for single player unreal1 missions where you had to go through the crashed alien spaceship...

this got me thinking, how about like , the game makes it so that the total shield in a map is limited ... so if there are 4 shield positions on the map, each of them would only be 25 shield...

NeoNite
3rd May 2005, 05:37 PM
The toxin ... and asbestos suit ;O) When you felt like taking a lava bath...

And the powershield ;O)

(The one which charges to 200)

AMmayhem
3rd May 2005, 06:08 PM
And the powershield ;O)

(The one which charges to 200)

There was 2 of them actually. The Shield Belt was 150, and the Power Shield was 200.

NeoNite
3rd May 2005, 06:33 PM
Yeah, that's why I added the "200 charge", so someone wouldn't ask me if I was talking about the normal shieldbelt.

-AEnubis-
4th May 2005, 02:38 AM
Heh, DM-Fith. You could get like 600hp.

Yeah, the armor system is so much better then it was, and it still needs work. Starting to think maybe overhealth should cap at 150... I dunno what else they could do without totally just jacking the Q3 health system. Q3 had it nailed though.

Map authors could do a better job of not thinking 3 of 4 powerups were necessary. Maps like Flux, Insidious, Leviathan, and Idoma are too few and far between.

Imagine Antalus, with a 50a/amp, and the amp/100a... I think that would make that map much more entertaining... that and maybe shock/LtG, and Vials/Shock.

NeoNite
4th May 2005, 07:15 AM
You mean, the q3 system, the health counting down? I always hated that. (through the entire quake series). Not to mention the fact your armour also started counting down :-/ ...

-AEnubis-
4th May 2005, 03:57 PM
No, over health and over armor counted down. You could still keep 100/100. Love it or hate it, it promoted aggression, and would assist in preventing the defensive camp fest that is UT today.

The_Head
4th May 2005, 05:12 PM
Draining down to 100/100 seems good to me :)
I get fed up with campers....

NeoNite
5th May 2005, 01:37 PM
No, over health and over armor counted down. You could still keep 100/100. Love it or hate it, it promoted aggression, and would assist in preventing the defensive camp fest that is UT today.

Yes, I know it counts down when you go over 100 ^_-

I hated it, and still do.. but not that much as I used to. You get "used to it", over a period of 6 years.

There was one mod, called "speedmatch" which didn't allow the armour/health to count down. I loved playing that mod.

-AEnubis-
5th May 2005, 04:03 PM
I'd expect some people to "like it", but that doesn't make it balanced, or stop it from promoting a certain style of play that is no fun.

gregori
6th May 2005, 12:34 PM
original deck 16 was sweet, i never really warmed up to deck 17, i prefer the solid geometry of the original.

Kriegs-Maschine
9th May 2005, 05:35 PM
In the Magazine Scanned thing I've read, they said they will bring back Deck17 so you could easily see the diffrence of gameplay the same map would do from UT2004 to 2007.

EL BOURIKO
26th May 2005, 12:35 PM
I do agree with EDHE, Phobos is far better than Deck.

Otherwise, Deck 16 or Deck 17 and everyone speculating on a possible Deck 18! Why not being curious concerning the unrevealed Decks 1 to 15 ???

Just a wish, because i would like to see some new aesthetic thema in UT2007.
industrial, neo modern egyptian, gothic, wasted fields, space... I would be really pleased to see something new TOO in UT2007.
for instance, why not introduce a new thema such as some (unreal modern) Mayan or Aztec whose rituals were quite bloody and could be an interesting tribute to some new UT worlds.

gregori
26th May 2005, 01:04 PM
deck 1-4 were in unreal one as single player levels!
How bout neo japanese ninja in space as a map theme
Or ghengis khan dominates asian planet thingy in the future
Or the necris home world/dimension!

G.Lecter
26th May 2005, 01:23 PM
Otherwise, Deck 16 or Deck 17 and everyone speculating on a possible Deck 18!
lol, Deck18 should definitely be the new name in 2k7. :) I'm glad to see deck will be included, but the map they really should remake is Rankin, I think is one of the most serious and balanced maps ever. Also, a industrial theme in the new engine would rock... :D

NeoNite
26th May 2005, 02:21 PM
Lol and let's add all the other decks as well !!! Deck19-1216646456 !!! And there ought to be turbo lifts, so you could hop from deck to deck!

-AEnubis-
26th May 2005, 04:04 PM
It'd be cooler I think to back it up a notch, and redesign the map, or go forward some in-ordinate number, instead of this sequencial integer crap that is so un-imaginative and clechéd.

DM-1on1-DeckSix

DM-Deck22

I also really like DM-TheDeck2004, though I prolly already said that in this thread. Remakes like that and DM-Souvenir are what they should aspire too.

gregori
26th May 2005, 04:40 PM
Make each deck map essentially a different level with the same themes of ramps,crates, and tunnels.

Don't remake DM Rankin, avoid like the plague!, i don't care if it its balanced or whatever Nearly every server on the net plays that one .It's boooooooooooooooooring!
The industrial theme has been done to death, so has gothic for that matter!

[SHADOW|force]
26th May 2005, 04:46 PM
ByTheWay: Teddybear rules (did all the decks+faces and other well-known stuff if I recall correctly)

-AEnubis-
26th May 2005, 05:05 PM
Uh, Inoxx did the original face, and Myscha did the original Deck16 if I recall correctly.

I know Myscha's name is on DM-Deck16][.

G.Lecter
26th May 2005, 05:12 PM
Make each deck map essentially a different level with the same themes of ramps,crates, and tunnels.

Don't remake DM Rankin, avoid like the plague!, i don't care if it its balanced or whatever Nearly every server on the net plays that one .It's boooooooooooooooooring!
Wow, you are the 1st person I've seen saying that Rankin is boring... :con:

Half of the servers have only Rankin, and the other half have only Deck. Therefore, if Rankin is not remade, all servers will have Deck... ( Universal logic! :lol: )
Lots of people will try to remake Rankin if it's not in the game. I'd rather a great official Rankin map than lots of stupid remakes.

I think Rankin>>>Deck17 (in visuals and gameplay) :D

FireCrack
26th May 2005, 08:26 PM
Industrial and gothic themes are awesome!

JohnnyUK
26th May 2005, 11:01 PM
Just to throw a spanner in the works here, wasn't Deck17 originally made by someone outside Epic for UT2003 (including that funky Deck16 sign)? I might be wrong, but I certainly remember it before UT2004..

Xipher
26th May 2005, 11:48 PM
I believe it was the same guy that did the UT2004 Facingworlds Remake Teddie, his site is actually hosted here http://teddie.beyondunreal.com/ He actually got contracted for UT2004 as well, look at your manual ;)

-AEnubis-
27th May 2005, 12:51 AM
Yeah, teddie did the re-hashes of the maps for 2k3, but that guys said "all decks+faces", which is simply not true.

Teddie did an awesome job on 17 as far as making it 2kish, but the layout of the map you really can't credit him for, nor the face concept (seeing as how that layout is way different from the original).

gregori
27th May 2005, 04:49 AM
industrial and gothic are the most hackneyed FPS themes of all,
it looked as if they were trying to turn of ut2kx into quake
Should think of something new
Anybody find DM Rankin a bit colourless and bland?
I found Deck 16's colour schema alot better than Deck17

Black_Seeds
27th May 2005, 05:44 AM
...gothic themes are awesome!

:D

EL BOURIKO
27th May 2005, 06:00 AM
In my opinion (of an average player), Rankin should definitively remain.
Anyway, this does not mean that some few adjustments should not be done.
As to me, I was always so frustrated to see so many nice structures on the roof over the rocket launcher area and over the flack cannon room, but not being able to climb onto them with a shield gun jump! Not because it s too high! such jump are really some piece of cake, but only because these structures are being some kind of "invisible walls" :-(
And i would be curious to test RANKIN with a Big Keg of Health in the secret corridor on the top of the lift. I guess that it would spice up the tactic play too.

EL BOURIKO
27th May 2005, 06:02 AM
In my opinion (of an average player), Rankin should definitively remain.
Anyway, this does not mean that some few adjustments should not be done.
As to me, I was always so frustrated to see so many nice structures on the roof over the rocket launcher area and over the flack cannon room, but not being able to climb onto them with a shield gun jump! Not because it s too high! such jumps are really some piece of cake, but only because these structures are behind some kind of "invisible walls" :-(
And i would be curious to test RANKIN with a Big Keg of Health in the secret corridor on the top of the lift. I guess that it would spice up the tactic play too.

krjal
27th May 2005, 07:12 AM
Yes. (twice, even ^)

Rankin would need a bit of a facelift in terms of colour or room variation. I actually prefer Corrugation in that respect.

Deck17 was fine for practicing leet movement skills but not really that fun online. They should keep the theme but change the layout a bit for...Deck18?

edhe
27th May 2005, 07:28 AM

And deck 16 hasnt? Deck's been the plague of DM servers since '99 :) not just one year as with rankin.

BooGiTyBoY
27th May 2005, 07:30 AM
A new deck?
No thank you sir!

krjal
27th May 2005, 10:57 AM
C'mon. It'd be alright if they kept the theme.
I just don't want the same layout over and over.

That said Deck was the first DM map they made for 2k7 so it looks like they great DM staple #1 won't be going away for another round at least...

edhe
27th May 2005, 11:09 AM
I jus thope to god they pick good maps for the demos, as it's those maps that define the game as a hit or miss.

After deck, antalus, face, BoF, cit... people need new maps, and the demos had best reflect that with fresh all-new stuff.

blutspender
27th May 2005, 11:14 AM
Something a little like Deck40 (http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=6805) could be a fresh change. Not exactly a Deck remake, but still recognisable to a certain degree. Could fit really well into the Envy theme imo.

Wow, deck40 is awesome! Someone has to make a remake of the remake of deck!

[SHADOW|force]
27th May 2005, 12:31 PM
Yeah, teddie did the re-hashes of the maps for 2k3, but that guys said "all decks+faces", which is simply not true.

yeah mate u r right and I was wrong sry ;)

But his other maps like cartrighthall (won a first prize) and killbillybarn are incredible! check it out!

gregori
27th May 2005, 12:42 PM
deck 17 is still a better map than rankin, even if is just overused clone!

blank.hx
29th May 2005, 05:27 AM
tbh with all this talk about please the community and how they want to get back to the original ut a new deck will be created without a doubt. However, for the love of god i hope that it's like deck16 as it's vile colours and uglyness and bland walls made it probably the best map unreal tournament has ever had, who cares about cosmetics in unreal tournament, it's all about knocking your openent up and mid airing and deck is the best map to offer the contras in space as well as having the space to perform proper mid airs. There is no map which can come close to that of deck16, it is in a legue if its own and is still the most played map of probably all the titles 99 and 2k4. Deck17 was good don't get me wrong and i don't want to piss off all you 2k4 fans but i was nothing like deck16 only from a cosmitical output but the gameplay on both maps were nothing alike and tbh deck is the map, which to me and many of the other ut99 fans/players who still remain in this fragile time of our comunity is the map which will the deciding map of whether or not this game is a good game. You cannot have an unreal tournament without a good deck so i hope that this is a good version as after this game ut99 will be dead :<

gregori
29th May 2005, 06:50 AM
good point! call it deck 0 aswell

Xaero_UT
30th May 2005, 12:15 AM
just incase u dont know deck 16 will be happening

from here

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=159584&page=1&pp=30

Remember, the programming is significatly ahead of the art,” laughs producer Jeff Morris. “It's not pretty right now – we do this first to get the gameplay right. We've always had a basic rule with UT – it has to be playable every day, and when it's just basic cubes and basic shapes like this, it's really easy to change on-the-fly and then test again.”
“This map is a good example,” adds Brown. “This is Deck16, a map that's appeared in every iteration of UT. It's a very familiar space and it helps us gauge how the game actually feels.”

of course i may be mistaken but.(deck was originally dek, think its a typing mistake from the transcript)

cheers

gregori
30th May 2005, 08:19 AM
doesn't mean it will be included in the final maps list , they were only using it as a testing map to balance the gameplay/make it like ut99

Dark Pulse
30th May 2005, 11:24 PM
Deck's as much of a mainstay as Curse is. The only Unreal game without it was 2003 - Curse has been in every single one, and thanks to 2003, the only map to have that distinction.

gregori
31st May 2005, 12:44 PM
No deck, no curse just new and really brilliant maps! how bout that,
if Epic is worth their money they can pull that off no problem!
Only if their new maps were cr#p would people think back to older ones!

Xaero_UT
31st May 2005, 08:40 PM
No deck, no curse just new and really brilliant maps! how bout that,
if Epic is worth their money they can pull that off no problem!
Only if their new maps were cr#p would people think back to older ones!

they aren't going to do that, people still like their classic maps, i would like to see a massive overhaul of the existing, cause imho, alot of maps just arent worth it, and i would be surprised if i ever see some of them in a md server's rotation.

me likes new maps though :D

Kabs-BUB
20th Oct 2005, 02:51 AM
I do love deck 16 :rockon: