PDA

View Full Version : bot pathing, controlling user pawn from external program

mrbungle
20th Apr 2005, 06:40 AM
Here is a basic overview of what we are doing with the Runtime:

I work at a university and we have been using the Runtime as a way to perform experiments on people who navigate inconsistent worlds. These worlds are built in the Runtime and are fairly simple, but use a lot of warp zones. The goal of our research is to assess how people's understanding of a space is influenced by an active navigation of space.

The other part of our research is on image processing and eye movement. We have a separate system running under linux that simulates eye movements over simple 2D images and classifies them based on certain criteria. My bosses want to interface the two projects.

This is not a trivial thing as you can imagine. So far we have created a socket connection between the two machines and have been sending user data from the Runtime to the other machine where it compiles an overhead map in a Tcl program in realtime.

What I need to do now, is figure out how we can control a user inside the Runtime environment from the other machine. I was thinking of using a bot at first, but upon looking at it, I am not quite so sure. We really want to have a "robot" navigate inside these environments to pictures placed on walls where it will then process the picture in the Linux program and then navigate to another point based upon its analysis. I thought that we could set up multiple paths that could be linked at decision points. However when I looked at how paths really worked, it seems that bots will only go to item pick up points.

So now I am thinking that controlling the player itself from the otehr machine is a better idea.

Does anyone have an idea about how to send navigation commands to the pawn owned by the player, but not via a real input device? I hope this isn't too vague, but we are still working out the details.

I am fairly confident that we can get this bastard working somehow. Thanks!

edit: I realize that I put this in level design section, but it could also go into the coding section. hope this is ok.

Switch`
20th Apr 2005, 11:00 AM
Assuming that NavigationPaths and Warp zones do mix, you could send the name of destination point from linux box via tcp and use one of the FindPathTo* functions on the runtime box to get the route to destination point.