PDA

View Full Version : Question about server stats...

TurboSi
14th Apr 2005, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure if this is still an active forum but I'll post anyway and hopeI can get an answer.

I do maps for Truff's (www.truff.net) and recently I created a portal map on a dedicated server that people can use as a gateway to the other servers. I decided to update the map and give it real time server stats for all the servers it has access to. Screen 131 is the perfect solution but I've run into a technical difficulty maybe.
I need to run stats for 9 servers. I created to screens in the center area that display the results from ssserverpages. I'm testing offline so all the ssserverpages have the network flag set to false.
When first testing with 3 servers it worked like a charm. When I added all the sspages for all nine servers it gets a little befuddled and only gives stats for some of the servers. Each time I launch the portal map the servers that do get displayed vary.
Am I asking to much of screen 131? Even when I tested with 4 queries on one screen and 5 queries on a different screen it still refuses to get information for all the servers.
Since I don't know how screen 131 does it's magic when doing server queries I'm at a loss.
Does the query happen when the page is called? or when the screen actor is initialized?

The version II portal map should go online this weekend and I'm hoping to fix it before then. If not we'll see what happens when it's online and try to correct the bugs in a version II.a

LittleHorn
27th May 2005, 05:40 AM
It seems you and I have the same problem. I have been planning a portal map for some time with server queries for all of my servers. However the past few months have had ongoing family problems and I have not got round to even putting one screen in.

I really like the Truff portal and you did a great job, perhaps you and I could speak on msn or something and share some ideas and try and solve the problem together sometime (if it has a solution that is).

Does anyone on this forum know if the screen can be implemented more than 3 times without problems? If not, would coding it to use a different name (Screen2, Screen3) etc allow for three queries per screen install, because a name change is a simple edit...

Any ideas?

TurboSi
27th May 2005, 06:16 AM
I did contact Mychaeel and get a reply several weeks ago...

With *none* of the slides succeeding in their queries, that somewhat
sounds like a firewall problem (on the client's side) more than anything
else.

I could imagine why *some* of the server query slides would not receive
any answers from the servers simply because UDP packets get lost (either
the query or the response to it), but all of them, all the time sounds
implausible.

If it's not a firewall problem, you could try the following: Triggering
the ScreenSlidePageServer actor requeries the server for new stats; you
could set up a trigger that triggers the slide in irregular intervals.
If that works, it's probably just an excess of network traffic at level
startup that causes the UDP packets to be lost.

We did some more testing but could never figure out what was the problem. My next approach is to write a script that dumps the server info to a webpage and just parse the webpage into screens. Testing shows this works and may be better since the game engine only has to call on one html page for the information and if any of the servers change a new version of the portal map does not need to be made. Currently I have a new map that calls 3 html files...an intro-welcome page, server stats and a credits page. Due to a lack of time I have yet to release it yet.

LittleHorn
27th May 2005, 07:33 AM
Sounds fantastic! Could you tell me when you plan to release it, or could you email me the file with a short readme or something when you have time to?

I was thinking, another idea to impliment could be a buddy locator screen. Can be used by one client / player at a time and basically will work like UBulo. Once players and servers are found, perhaps it could trigger the teleporters URL to change to the corresponding server and allow the client to connect to the server their buddy is in...

LittleHorn@LittleHorn.org

Thanks

TurboSi
28th May 2005, 06:51 AM
There's no plans to release the map at this time due to a severe lack of time. This winter when things slow down again I should be going back to mapping and my admin duties over at Truff's.

LittleHorn
28th May 2005, 08:00 PM
Could you possibly email me the weapon killer mod so that i can impliment it in my portal if you have it please?

thank you

LittleHorn
29th May 2005, 08:00 AM
AnthraX kindly sent me the weapon killer now.

Hmmm... What is the limit for the amount of screens used as server queries that can function in one map?

TurboSi
29th May 2005, 11:45 AM
During my original testing I used 3 server queries without problems. When I put all 9 in I ran into the problems. So my guess is 3-5 may be the max but you may have to experiment with that.

LittleHorn
29th May 2005, 02:07 PM
9? which texture did you use for the 9th? there are only Screen1-8 ...

TurboSi
30th May 2005, 07:58 AM
I only used texture 1. All the pages I used were chained together and scrolled across the "monitor". Very similiar to how it is done in the demo that can be downloaded with the Screen package.

LittleHorn
30th May 2005, 09:08 AM
aha i see. I have linked only 2 textures in that manner a few times over. I am currently trying to query a large amount of servers aswell as a webpage as a main screen. I paired two servers to 6 screens and have 1 server for the last two screens and the way things are done there is no way around this unless i remake the map and start over... I wanted to have a ninth (main) screen which would show a short web message.

Is there no other way to achieve this other than screens?

Also, did you happen to see my new thread. I cant seem to make the screens work (even just one screen on its own in a box of a map) in dedicated servers. Is this a known problem and is there a way around this?

thanks for your help