Cell processors...is it just me?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Or do they seem to be rather overhyped. I'm not sure I totally understand the way they work, but from all the stuff I've read they only seem to be usefull for vector based programs. That's gonna be absolutely fantastic for databases and spreadsheets etc. but in games, afaik, the only heavy vector based computation is graphics (for which we already have seperate graphics cards) and physics. Physics also logically seems to be heading towards a seperate chip solution (physx chip etc.).
I'm not sure about AI but I can't really see basic game logic getting much of a performance boost if any.

Everyone seems to be saying that a PS3 with 4 cell processors will simply be 40x faster than a current cpu which seems like a ridiculously bold statement when cell processors are simply a completely different architecture.

Not to mention that coding for a cell processor is supposed to be completely different to any high level language and more comparable to programming in assembly.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I read a write up of cell processors. They are indeed ahead of their time As AMD's Fred Weber said. The point is that with cell processors you wont need a graphics card or a physics processor. Just add another few cells and it will take over those functions.

I dont see cell processors catching on in the pc market any time soon as programmers have to program very specifically to that particular type of cell processor. Programmers have more control over the hardware, and as I have read, a little too much control.

It will be a godsend for consols and Macs but the PC market will take some time before it becomes a viable choice.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2379

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2387&p=2