PDA

View Full Version : Coming soon: JB-Aswan-v2

Wormbo
13th Apr 2005, 08:16 AM
I'm currently working on an improved version of JB-Aswan. If there are any problems you've noticed with the original version, please post.

One thing I've taken care of is the execution sequence. The spiders will now come out of their holes more reliably. There are two cams in each jail and another camera in each jail's alternate escape route.
The escape routes were completely redone from scratch. The basic mechanism is basically the same, but it is activated completely manually now.

[edit]
Download Beta 6 (http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/other/JB-Aswan-v2-Beta6.zip)

CoolDude
13th Apr 2005, 08:22 AM
What about these spiders falling down (randomly?) at the first escape spot, even though the gate in front of the spot is still closed and there is no one standing on the spot. Is this suppose to happen?

Wormbo
13th Apr 2005, 08:38 AM
ZedMaestro made the alternate escape for the original version. I don't think the spiders were supposed to fall down there if nobody is standing on that spot.

Aersik
13th Apr 2005, 10:06 AM
The only thing that really annoys me about this map is the ability to shoot out of jail. I tend to play instagib, and getting shot by someone you thought was safely tucked away is a bit of a pain.

Two possible exploits:

First, it's possible to get onto the ledges at the sides of the main arena fairly easily, at the cost of ~25 health (See screeny).

Second, if the translocator is enabled you can xloc up the side-light-shaft-things in the base areas and get into this nice bright blue area and run the clock down. I assume this bright blue texture visible through all the windows in the main bases is supposed to show the skybox.

The only other thing I can think of is that it might be nice if there were more prominent team markings in the main arena than team coloured scarabs on the pillars. And possibly the words "THERE IS AN ESCAPE ON THIS MAP!" in big flashing neon letters on the wall of the jail :D

Wormbo
13th Apr 2005, 11:53 AM
The shoot-free-players-from-jail part can be disabled through a custom Jailbreak Add-on, I think.
Thanks for pointing out the Shieldgun/Translocator problems, though. :)
The blue texture are there for a good reason: The skybox would look too dark when viewed from inside the bases, but I'll see what I can do. Maybe a translucent sheet for brightening up the sky textures in those areas will do the trick.

Matthew Leech
14th Apr 2005, 05:19 PM
make sure you add proper blocking volumes.

Sexmachine
17th Apr 2005, 06:48 AM
Jailcam: The left camera on the left side in red jail (facing the jaildoors) makes use of the "widescreen view" (all the others don't). And I suggest to make use of the "CameraSpotFrames" aswell as they really add to the feeling. :)

Wormbo
17th Apr 2005, 09:28 AM
Jailcam: The left camera on the left side in red jail (facing the jaildoors) makes use of the "widescreen view" (all the others don't). And I suggest to make use of the "CameraSpotFrames" aswell as they really add to the feeling. :)
Thanks, will check that ASAP.

BTW: What happens if you put 16 blue bots and a giant red spider mine in a small room? :)
http://img180.echo.cx/img180/4774/16botsand1bigspider1pj.jpg

Kantham
17th Apr 2005, 11:12 AM
BTW: What happens if you put 16 blue bots and a giant red spider mine in a small room?

Boom?

or maybe the collision of it is big as the little one?

Wormbo
17th Apr 2005, 12:58 PM
Boom?
Yes, that's pretty close. It's Boom *lots of smoke* :D

Matthew Leech
17th Apr 2005, 03:18 PM
wormbo, that sounds absolutely sexay!

Wormbo
29th Apr 2005, 11:32 AM
Here are some screenshots with the new base color indicators: The hiroglyphs (sp?) at the base entrance are now team-colored, in each base's entrance area there are two team logo monitors (like it was on DOM-Aswan, I forgot to put them in after removing all the DOM monitors) and the statues in each base are team-colored as well.

Sexmachine
29th Apr 2005, 11:40 AM
Looking good! :tup:

Wormbo
8th Jun 2005, 05:44 PM
Alright, took long enough now. Here's a first beta version of JB-Aswan-v2. Please test it, I don't want any bugs left in the final verison. :)

Download:
JB-Aswan-v2-Beta1.zip (http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/other/JB-Aswan-v2-Beta1.zip)

expisCoR
8th Jun 2005, 07:55 PM
UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-02-15_17.02]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 1693 MHz with 511MB RAM
Video: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600 PRO TURBO (6476)

Failed to enter C:\PROGRA~1\UT2004\Maps\JB-ASW~1.UT2: Can't find file for package 'JBSpiderMine-v2'

History: UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

Trueblood
9th Jun 2005, 03:02 AM
The escape route again...if someone walks too close to the exit of the gauntlet, often a spider gets loose and chases you :o

Wormbo
9th Jun 2005, 03:58 AM
UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-02-15_17.02]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 1693 MHz with 511MB RAM
Video: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600 PRO TURBO (6476)

Failed to enter C:\PROGRA~1\UT2004\Maps\JB-ASW~1.UT2: Can't find file for package 'JBSpiderMine-v2'

History: UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free
Erk, forgot to add the package. I'll add it to the ZIP file and attach it to this post as well.

The escape route again...if someone walks too close to the exit of the gauntlet, often a spider gets loose and chases you :oAre you sure you're testing the correct Aswan map? In this version the spiders can only leave the jail escape if someone is in it or just got out through it. (And without JBSpiderMines-v2.u it shouldn't even load. Sorry, my bad.)

In this new version, the escape tunnels are completely sealed off while they are closed. Also, the weapon placement in the central area has been modified and the arena was replaced.

The_Head
9th Jun 2005, 06:11 AM
Just took it for a spin, loks very nice indeed. The death with the huge Spider is sweet. How did you code it to choose between different death sequences (haven't had a chance to look in UED myself)
Camera changing like that works really well.

Wormbo
9th Jun 2005, 11:47 AM
The random selection between regular and alternate execution is done with an ACTION_IfRandomPct in a ScriptedTrigger. This selects, whether the giant spider should be triggered instead of the ScriptedTrigger managing the spider door movers.

You will notice a quite complex system of ScriptedTriggers and TriggeredConditions for the entire jail functionality, including the escape tunnel.

The_Head
9th Jun 2005, 12:48 PM
Yeh I took a peak earlier. Got enough scripted triggers in there :p
I will have to try out the alternate deaths, will make dying more fun :D
Look forward to getting my hands on the final release

expisCoR
9th Jun 2005, 07:40 PM
Just played it.

I wanted to see the large spider kill my team, but after the game ended (and many suicides) (score 4-5 (yeah, i lost, but just because i wanted to be killed by the big one)). One time when the big spider arrived, it crushed one of the bots, that was fun to watch.

Other than me not getting killed by the big one (and the other team getting killed that way 3 out of the 4 times), it looks nice. No further comments at this time.

Wormbo
10th Jun 2005, 04:02 AM
The chance for a "Big Bang" is 20% and it's totally random, when it's used. Whether you or the other team is executed that way doesn't matter much. You will always see it from the external camera's view.

CoolDude
10th Jun 2005, 06:08 AM
It isn't mentioned anywhere in this thread, but:
this new v2-version also will have the runaway loop crashing problem fixed. :tup:

So no more:
JBSpiderSpawner JB-Aswan.JBSpiderSpawner14 (Function Engine.Actor.TriggerEvent:0061) Runaway loop detected (over 10000000 iterations)Thanks Wormbo.

Wormbo
10th Jun 2005, 12:36 PM
That has two reasons: You can't touch any of the spider spawners in Aswan-v2. Also, the code bug for the runaway loop (it allowed to disable the delay for respawning dead spiders) has been fixed.

Wormbo
12th Jun 2005, 10:05 AM
*bump*
Please report anything you still find in beta 1 and please don't assume "it's obvious".

4WD
12th Jun 2005, 10:25 AM
can u plz include that spidermine package in the mapfile (dunno if it's possible though) to avoid the need of multiple files in order to play the map. would be nice :)

Sexmachine
12th Jun 2005, 11:06 AM
Jailcam: The left camera on the left side in both jails (facing the jaildoors) makes use of the "widescreen view" (all the others don't) - maybe they are somehow connected to the deathcam?

CoolDude
12th Jun 2005, 05:11 PM
Just gave it a quick run today (2x 10min games).

I love the spiderpits in the arena. The small spider execution looks way better, however it seems a bit easier now to outrun them (but then they will catch you after all). I also love the big spider.

Some minor points:
1) Some statues (see pic) are hardly visible, but then that's because of the "natural" lightning comming from above.
2) This bot (see pics) was very defensive, but then the "auto" ordered him to be in defensive stands. It just looked strange to see him standing there for a couple of minutes, doing nothing at all, not even wandering a bit. Most of the time he also faced the lift, standing with his back to the entrance. But then, as you can see in the AI-shot, he can look through walls if needed ;)
3) I only saw the big spider once. Should it do anything else then falling down, waiting and then explode (like walk a bit and kill players)? If so, it didn't.
4) Did the escape change? Otherwise it needs to be tested in a LAN game.
5) As SM said, it looks weird only one of the camera's is shown in Widescreen. Maybe put a normal extra camera right next to the deathcam.

As I said, I will give it another run tomorrow.

Wormbo
13th Jun 2005, 03:10 AM
I'll duplicate the in-jail cams so there's one version for the camera spot and one for the execution sequence.

The statue is that dark on the original DOM-Aswan as well. (not really surprising since I didn't change the lighting) It's not really game relevant anyway, so I might as well leave it like that.

The defense spots have different priorities. The one down there has a lower priority, but the bot didn't go all wrong being there. Most of the bot attacks seem to use the elevator or the main entrance to the backroom.

The big spider is beamed in (possibly telefragging prisoners), opens up, plays a random animation and explodes.

The escape route has been rebuild completely from scratch.
You need to press a button in the jail to open the door to the trigger which opens the door to the teleporter. There's no way to get out of that smnall room unless someone presses the button again, so you will be killed by the spider mines and will not be able to escape during a regular release either.
The door to the teleporter will only stay open as long as someone stands on the trigger. The escape tunnel you are teleported to contains six spiders which will come out as soon as someone teleports in. The escape door will open slowly and stay open as long as someone is inside the tunnel. When the tunnel is empty the door closes again and completely seals off the tunnel so spiders can only get out during the time somebody tries to escape.
Bots know how the escape route works, but not how to open it. They frequently seem to manage to escape, but usually get killed outside the tunnel by spiders following them. I'd love to tell bots to stand on the trigger after the door was opened, but I don't know how.

CoolDude
13th Jun 2005, 04:39 AM
The defense spots have different priorities. The one down there has a lower priority, but the bot didn't go all wrong being there.I've seen this behaviour regularly with bots, and I probably because it's part of the JB AI auto-asign.

E.g The red team bots (or humans) defend their button because 3 players are already captured. The last blue player stays on defence in his own base because his team is already in front in points. If no human player changes the bot strategy (or used attack/defend command) it can take some time until something is happening.
I'm not saying it has to be changed, I just thought I mention it here.

Bots frequently seem to manage to escape, but usually get killed outside the tunnel by spiders following them.Spiders still into the map then? And stay there until the end of the map?

I'd love to tell bots to stand on the trigger after the door was opened, but I don't know how. I was thinking about a JBJailBotTriggerSpot, which checks if there are other players in the same jail (playerCountNeeded, bCountBots bCountHumans), and if so, when the gate to the release opens (the trigger), the bot will go for the spot (checking a RandomValue property). It could also be used in escapes like Heights to press the button (triggered by a player who is on top).

How about a JBJailBotLadderTriggerSpot. Same principe, when there are more players in jail (possibly triggered if needed), the bot will go to the spot and Crouch. But then, how do you get the first bot on top of the second one?

//edit: I saw the (new) zip-package containts the ucl-file. This is not needed is it? When you play the map for the first time, it's auto-generated anyway.

Wormbo
13th Jun 2005, 05:22 AM
Spiders leaving the escape tunnel only do so for chasing down escaping players, but they will either explode because they reached the player or becasue they were destroyed by someone. In the rare case where spiders might not be destroyed they are reset at the end of the round. There's no way a spider leaves the tunnel without someone trying to escape.

Good idea with the JBJailBot spots, but that's something that needs to be implemented into the core package.

I've noticed that sometimes when the UCL is generated some textures in a map look much darker than they should. But anyway, since I already have the JBSpiderMines-v2.u in the System directory of the ZIP, why not add that file as well?

CoolDude
13th Jun 2005, 07:08 AM
The ucl-file is just a plain text file, holding the LevelInfo (description, author, fallbackname, etc.).
If there is none available at the start of a map, UT will generate it out of the the ut2-file.
Map=(MapName="JB-Aswan-v2-Beta1",Acronym=JB,PlayerCountMin=8,PlayerCountMax=12,FriendlyName=JB-Aswan-v2-Beta1.LevelSummary.Title,Author="Bastiaan (Checker) Frank, JB: Wormbo",ScreenShot=JB-Aswan-v2-Beta1.Screenshot.AswanScreenshot,Description=JB-Aswan-v2-Beta1.LevelSummary.Description,FallbackDesc="Deep in the heart of the Ocean of Dunes, a small oasis of civilization welcomes the weary traveler. Any who step through the gates of the Temple of Aswan are welcome, though none may leave without taking part in the trials. The Anubans have used the trials as a means to test their prospective competitors for hundreds of years. Success means fame and glory, failure means the scavengers pick the meat from your bones. Are you really that thirsty?",FallbackName="Aswan")Appart from the screenshot, I can't see any logical relation to textures or lightning in there.
But if you think it helps, feel free to distribute the ucl-file with it. ;)

Wormbo
17th Jun 2005, 03:33 AM
Alright, here's Aswan-v2 Beta 2 (http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/othger/Aswan-v2-Beta2.zip). Please test this in a multiplayer environment, I want to make absolutely sure the alternate escape route isn't too easy.

I've duplicated the jail cameras, so now of each camera there's a version with overlay texture and manual switching for the camera spot and one with widescreen for the execution sequence. I've also aligned the static meshes and navigation points in the jail exit areas to improve the path layout, but it seems all blue bots want the link gun, while the red bots always go for the shock rifle. Any idea about that?

Sexmachine
28th Jun 2005, 03:05 AM
You are almost there Wormbo. The b00rked cameras now have the overlay textures (nice) but they are still set to widescreen ... argh! ;)

Wormbo
28th Jun 2005, 11:24 AM
Oops, fixed. :)

The_Head
7th Jul 2005, 04:34 PM
A spider got out into the map. Didnt see where it came from. Not a huge problem but if its fixable it will be worthwhile.

Birelli
7th Jul 2005, 04:48 PM
Saw this on the IRC channel probably worth passing on here:

<KaL976|BuF> the only bug i 'found' was the water in the passages in Aswan doesn't make any noise or have splashes

CoolDude
7th Jul 2005, 04:49 PM
We just played a couple of Aswan-v2 games online on the Mothership.

Two points I (we) noticed:
1) The escape is way too easy. Only one spider to follow you. Sometimes even none. Maybe it's because this spider starts (or in the wall?) you, instead of starting from the other side. You just outrun it to the door, and most of the time you're out there without the spider even touches you. I would at least put an extra spider in.
2) The jail gate to the escapetunnel at one time stayed open, even during releases and during captures, right until the end of the map. Dunno what caused it though (see pic).

CoolDude
7th Jul 2005, 04:56 PM
<KaL976|BuF> the only bug i 'found' was the water in the passages in Aswan doesn't make any noise or have splashes.It splashed for me (visualy, not sure about the sound). The blue side was OK, the red side I'm not sure about. You didn't mess around with your videosettings Kal?

A spider got out into the map. Didnt see where it came from.The escape with you out of the escape tunnel. It happens in the old Aswan version too. I think it's just fun. They will hunt players and explode/die when they touch a player. :P

ZedMaestro
7th Jul 2005, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure why the jail escape door (the bars one) got stuck open. I wouldnt be surprised if it was just an unfortunate trigger problem.

On RimeValley, if you fly up into the volume that triggers the Raptor Doors to open and then bail while within this volume, the doors will remain open for the rest of the game. I guess that may because there was temporarily two actors triggering the doors to open. Theres nothing I can do about this, and its not that major, so I'm not too bothered.

Maybe that is related to this incident.

Wormbo
9th Jul 2005, 05:59 AM
I already thought the escape would be too easy. Ah well, a couple of additional spiders that can see more of the escape tunnel will probably fix this problem.

G.Lecter
19th Jul 2005, 06:34 PM
I had this map lost in my hard drive and I did not test it until a few days ago.
I liked the final execution and the new arena. :) Here an unimportant change that could be done easily... ;)

CoolDude
19th Jul 2005, 06:50 PM
As far as I can recall, the gap always has been there. It's fun to shoot the defending players down the gap when you try to release.

INIQUITOUS
9th Oct 2005, 10:35 AM
sooo what happened to this Aswan-v2? has it been released?

Wormbo
20th Oct 2005, 03:50 AM
I'm sorry, I got distractd by other things. I'll see if I can revive this thing any time soon.

Vatcilli zeitchef
20th Oct 2005, 04:23 AM
Good :2thumb:
I like to see threads being revived without me having to do that :p

INIQUITOUS
20th Oct 2005, 08:56 AM
excellent let us know when you do because i know about some bugs in the first one if you havnt already found them :D

Wormbo
26th Oct 2005, 11:27 AM
I officially declare this project revived. :D Get beta 3 (http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/other/Aswan-v2-Beta3.zip) and play some test matches on it.
The escape route should be a lot harder now, partly because spiders don't get stuck and partly because I've tweaked the geometry and trigger systems. There are seven spiders in each escape tunnel now and they will come out of their holes as soon as someone enters the tunnel. The stone door only starts opening when you step down from the teleporter platform and will require at least 3 seconds to provide enough room for escaping. That means, the first player probably won't manage to escape but merely opens the door for additional "escapees" before getting blown up by the spiders.
Also, the escape door shouldn't become stuck open anymore. (At least I hope so.)

Vatcilli zeitchef
26th Oct 2005, 03:27 PM
great :) I'll test it and tell master debugger INI it's here.;)

____Edit___
Ok some small things, but most nitpicky

1: none of the windows allows vieuw into the skybox.
2: I could teleport on top of the map with xX loc also through the holes in the bases into the strange blue cube. Place blocking volumes there?
3:The pickup on the senter pillar does not spawn at all, what use doing so much effort to get there?
4: what are those DOM monitors doing here? If they are just to indicat team colours please replace them, they don't fit in the egypt theme...
5: I played a match with 16 cap max (twice) and never saw the big spider, maybe increase the chance it appears?

I'll check again later

G.Lecter
27th Oct 2005, 01:06 PM
- Yeah, when is the big spider supossed to appear? At first I thought it was there for the final taunt, but It was shown twice in the match I've played... Is that right? :rolleyes:
- I had no problems with the center pickup (it's the DoubleDamage... ;)), and the bots know how to get it! :tup:
- However the bots behave too stupidly in the arena, those fools always fall into the pits... :mad:
- The holes on the walls (with lights) in the Arena look too bright in contrast with the walls.
- The middle is too empty IMO. I think moving/placing healths there will help...
Nearly finished I think... Good work! :)
[Edit: Forgot saying that the jaildoors IMO need a higher StayOpenTime (When I was viewing the jailcams and my team was released, I felt confused and had not enough time to go out... :()]

Hazel.H
27th Oct 2005, 04:47 PM
Tested online with INI yesterday and found some things:

When you walk next to this wall parts of the front of the building disappear

The arena would look nice with some more detail here, like the shiny wall panels from the main map

Light boxes seem a lot brighter than in the last version, it looks a bit too much IMO

Collision on these pillars go too far out. You can trans on top of these pillars in the roof too

Projector errors?

The team coloured textures are a good idea but I don't like the retextured statues. Maybe you could make some of the blue/red beetles into shaders so they look like gems :)

Keep up the good work ;)

Wormbo
27th Oct 2005, 05:34 PM
1: none of the windows allows vieuw into the skybox.
2: I could teleport on top of the map with xX loc also through the holes in the bases into the strange blue cube. Place blocking volumes there?
3:The pickup on the senter pillar does not spawn at all, what use doing so much effort to get there?
4: what are those DOM monitors doing here? If they are just to indicat team colours please replace them, they don't fit in the egypt theme...
5: I played a match with 16 cap max (twice) and never saw the big spider, maybe increase the chance it appears? The skybox would be too dark when viewed from inside areas. I'll look into that. Center pickup is a Double Damage. Due to a bug in Jailbreak's pickup reset code it will spawn after about 82 seconds instead of the usual 27 seconds. This should be fixed in JB2004c. Hmm... It's set to 20% chance independantly for red and blue jail. It really seems to appear a lot less than that for some reason, though.
- Yeah, when is the big spider supossed to appear? At first I thought it was there for the final taunt, but It was shown twice in the match I've played... Is that right? :rolleyes:
- I had no problems with the center pickup (it's the DoubleDamage... ;)), and the bots know how to get it! :tup:
- However the bots behave too stupidly in the arena, those fools always fall into the pits... :mad:
- The holes on the walls (with lights) in the Arena look too bright in contrast with the walls.
- The middle is too empty IMO. I think moving/placing healths there will help...
Nearly finished I think... Good work! :)
[Edit: Forgot saying that the jaildoors IMO need a higher StayOpenTime (When I was viewing the jailcams and my team was released, I felt confused and had not enough time to go out... :()] see above good to hear :) will make them a bit darker I'll see, whether I can get them to be a bit more careful there. Middle of the main area?
When you walk next to this wall parts of the front of the building disappear
Yay, my first own BSP hole! :S
The arena would look nice with some more detail here, like the shiny wall panels from the main map
Good idea.
Light boxes seem a lot brighter than in the last version, it looks a bit too much IMO
Hmm, I can't remember touching them. I'll have to see what's wrong there.
Collision on these pillars go too far out. You can trans on top of these pillars in the roof too
I didn't change the blocking volumes that were there in DOM-Aswan already. I'll see if I can make collision more precise there.
Projector errors?
I think that was in DOM-Aswan as well. Looks like I need to edit a texture there.
The team coloured textures are a good idea but I don't like the retextured statues. Maybe you could make some of the blue/red beetles into shaders so they look like gems :)
I colored the statures because people complained about the lack of team colors in the back rooms. Appearantly the more redish/blueish color on the pillars and scarabs wasn't enough. I guess I could tone down the statue colors a bit.

INIQUITOUS
27th Oct 2005, 07:56 PM
-TBH the colours of the statues is really horrible IMO and i think you should just of left them as they were
-The new blue/purple and red walls on the entrances of the sides are really horrible too i feel, and would be much better if you just hanged a banner there or something, its too much at the moment. all those bright colours just dont go with the theme, it looks a bit tacky TBH, maybe if they were ALOT more dull.
-i also have never seen the giant spider :( its on the loadingscreen but u never see it !!! *cries* :(
-that bsp error was in the first Jb version btw. it happens on all four sides.
-can you pls pls change the skybox, it was horrible in the DOM , horrible in the first JB version and it still is soo plain blue and boring now. you can hardly even see the moon. i didnt even know there was one until i stared at it for 5 minutes!! maybe one of hazel's skyboxes would own here :P

Wormbo
28th Oct 2005, 05:24 AM
Hazel's only matching skybox (dessert sandstorm) is too dark in most areas and would require to completely change the lighting setup of the entire level.
Bright sun ius ok, but the darker sand-colored sky doesn't match the Aswan theme with the bright light boxes in the back rooms. Those suggest a really bright outside area, but I can't make it bright when the sky is as dark as it is on the textures.

Like I already said, the giant spider is not supposed to appear all the time. Actually it was intended to be a surprise for unsuspecting players, so I won't raise the chance.

INIQUITOUS
28th Oct 2005, 08:36 AM
but its on the loadingscreen :S ! ? not really a big surprise when you know its there but you cant see it....oh so you have to play it a million times.. *sigh*

cant you atleast raise the skyinfo or lower it, so we can see the moon/planet etc... its just a plain flat blue background atm

edit: dont forget to put the system file in the mylevel package when your finished!

Wormbo
5th Apr 2006, 07:01 AM
I hereby call this project re-revived. ;)

Get beta 4 (http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/other/Aswan-v2-Beta4.zip), give it a test and see whether there's still anything left to be fixed. :)

The_Head
5th Apr 2006, 07:28 AM
Nice revival.
This is a map I have been waiting for for quite a while.
Just gave it a run through and I can't see anything wrong with it, plays well, and bots are good.

Sexmachine
5th Apr 2006, 11:16 AM
Geez, what a revival (not just mapwise) - first Mych, now Wormbo. Glad you both are well and back (sort of). :) I'll give beta4 a try and post feedback asap. :tup:

The_Head
5th Apr 2006, 11:26 AM
Geez, what a revival (not just mapwise) - first Mych, now Wormbo. Glad you both are well and back (sort of)
Crosses fingers ;)

Vatcilli zeitchef
5th Apr 2006, 11:42 AM
Welcome back!!
JB LIVES! :D

G.Lecter
7th Apr 2006, 10:08 AM
It's OK. :)
- I sometimes miss a couple of healths in the outdoor area, said this for another beta I think. Not sure if they're really necessary, though, we'd have to test online for that. I'm looking forward to the next betatesting night... :D
- Some crates in the outdoors would help to make the sightlines a bit shorter, though I have no idea of how an egyptian crate would look like... :p
- Try placing some FearSpots in the dangerous areas in the Arena, the bots still act too fool there...

The_Head
7th Apr 2006, 10:10 AM
Some crates in the outdoors would help to make the sightlines a bit shorter, though I have no idea of how an egyptian crate would look like... :p
You and your crates....
It just doesnt fit in with an Egyptian theme, hence Why you will find none in Egypt ;)

Jrubzjeknf
7th Apr 2006, 10:13 AM
- Some crates in the outdoors would help to make the sightlines a bit shorter, though I have no idea of how an egyptian crate would look like... :p

An egyptian crate is called a coffin :p

The_Head
7th Apr 2006, 10:23 AM
There were coffins in the spawn rooms of Egypt and I got told to remove them :p

Ok were getting Off topic now

G.Lecter
7th Apr 2006, 11:08 AM
You and your crates....Crates 4tw, they rock! \o/

Coffin things aren't high enough to block weapon fire, unless you scale them up... :p (The sightline blocking is an excuse tbh, I love crates because you can jump on them... :D)

INIQUITOUS
7th Apr 2006, 11:13 AM
Crates 4tw, they rock! \o/

Coffin things aren't high enough to block weapon fire, unless you scale them up... :p (The sightline blocking is an excuse tbh, I love crates because you can jump on them... :D)
His secret is out!! everyone remove all crate like objects at once from all maps! :D

Wormbo
13th Apr 2006, 04:36 AM
Hey, if you want me to release this thing, I need some feedback. ;)

TG|DeadHead
13th Apr 2006, 06:24 AM
I played the new version 2 times with bots and the original version a lot online. This is what bugged me:

- The lack of health. Maybe you can add a 25 HP pack in the little corridors (where the flak and rox are). Or some vials up top?
- The lack of sound. Defending might be a bit easier if i got something to listen for. If the slopes in the back of the base made noise if someone walked on them its easier to combo people.

In the new version:
- I dont know if this was here before but I care very little for the AS rifle when you get released from jail. Maybe change this to a Bio Rifle? Since the Bio Rifle is hardly seeing any play time with its current pickup location.
- When I saw bots fighting in the arena (i was never picked) I noticed spiders in there. Is this supossed to be?

But apart from these comments, great map. I love the new spider execution and what I love even more is this predictionkill possibility:

You spot him.
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3349/aswan12iz.jpg

You wait, and you shoot.
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/728/aswan25ae.jpg

<3 it :)

GL with the map.

INIQUITOUS
13th Apr 2006, 03:23 PM
hi, me and hazel tested it online and found some bugs you may or may not know about..

whilst playing we somehow broke the escape route and the bars stayed open all the time, then after a few mins we somehow broke the escape door at the end, so you could just run straight through all the time. :S When you are executed and the giant spider appears, if you're on the red team it is red, shouldnt it be blue? The giant spider spawned once but was invisible :S (that happened in the blue jail). All of the fluid surfaces slightly go through the walls. i think the bot pathing needs a good look at, they get stuck every where. The light boxes are over the top i think, theres too many of them and the light is coming in at atleast 6 or more different angles on the map, thats not possible :D , they cut through walls and meshes and if you look through them all in one line the screen just goes so bright it hurts, especially if you zoom with the lightning gun! I think you should remove them completely or make them less bright and shorter (more faded). Also, on one round i was out running around (i was the last player and had just escaped through the escape route) when it said "your team has been executed" :( but i was half way across the map! And when it's finished put the .u in mylevel.

everything else is spot on, i love the new team coloured statues, much better!

here are some screenies to show you some things that i talked about and there is some error logs i got on my server at the bottom.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/223/aswan18zy.th.jpg (http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aswan18zy.jpg)

You can hide up here still, just put a blocking volume across the top or a limitation volume.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2524/aswan25sg.th.jpg (http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aswan25sg.jpg)

an example of the light boxes going through walls etc..

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/466/aswan36ur.th.jpg (http://img158.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aswan36ur.jpg)

another example.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8012/aswan49ko.th.jpg (http://img405.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aswan49ko.jpg)

this is really bright!

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/8738/aswan54qz.th.jpg (http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aswan54qz.jpg)

look i can swim! :D the water volume is too high, it even turns your screen blue in 1st person, only happens in this tunnel i think.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6598/aswan64sk.th.jpg (http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aswan64sk.jpg)

the bots always get stuck here on both sides.

server log: these are all the messages from Aswan, they might help, you never know.

ScriptLog: Warning - PATHS NOT DEFINED or NO PLAYERSTART with positive rating
Warning: JBGameRulesProtection JB-Aswan-v2-beta4.JBGameRulesProtection (Function JBAddonProtection.JBGameRulesProtection.IsProtected:000D) Accessed None 'thisPawn'
Warning: JBBotSquad JB-Aswan-v2-beta4.JBBotSquad (Function Jailbreak.JBBotSquad.SetEnemy:006A) Accessed None 'PawnEnemy'
Warning: xBot JB-Aswan-v2-beta4.xBot (Function Engine.AIController.MoverFinished:0012) Accessed None 'myMarker'
Warning: xBot JB-Aswan-v2-beta4.xBot (Function Engine.AIController.MoverFinished:0012) Accessed None 'myMarker'

Wormbo
13th Apr 2006, 03:44 PM
I played the new version 2 times with bots and the original version a lot online. This is what bugged me:

- The lack of health. Maybe you can add a 25 HP pack in the little corridors (where the flak and rox are). Or some vials up top?
Ok, I'll see what I can do about the health.
- The lack of sound. Defending might be a bit easier if i got something to listen for. If the slopes in the back of the base made noise if someone walked on them its easier to combo people.
It's hard to add audio cues like e.g. on Rankin to an egypt-style map, but maybe I can find a way to give your ears something to do. ;)
In the new version:
- I dont know if this was here before but I care very little for the AS rifle when you get released from jail. Maybe change this to a Bio Rifle? Since the Bio Rifle is hardly seeing any play time with its current pickup location.
Worth a try, I guess.
- When I saw bots fighting in the arena (i was never picked) I noticed spiders in there. Is this supossed to be?
Yes, I like a somewhat hazardous arena. Since neither pools of dangerous liquids nor electrical or mechanical traps fit Aswan's spirit and since the spiders are part of the map's theme, I decided to make the arena more interesting by placing them there.

Wormbo
14th Apr 2006, 11:18 AM
Ok, I also fixed the lightboxes, the watervolume (for some reason there was a cylindric water volume there :con: ) and the bts getting stuck near the healths. I've also modified the trigger systems for the escape doors and escape teleporter doors so they hopefully always close when the last player dies or leaves the triggering area.

INIQUITOUS
14th Apr 2006, 12:01 PM
cool :D and er a cylinder water volume :S lol

Wormbo
15th Apr 2006, 09:28 AM
I've uploaded Beta 5 (http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/other/Aswan-v2-Beta5.zip) for testing. I didn't have the time to check the invisible giant spider bug yet, but I'll have a look at it next week.

G.Lecter
16th Apr 2006, 11:29 AM
Just some near-to-finishing nitpicking things: :)
- There isn't any AssaultPath actor in the map atm, so the bots are very unlikely to take other path than the shortest one (lift). I can plan a Bot-AssaultPathing network if you want, and post pics with the AP placement then.
- There are 3 JBcameras for the blue base. Red base has only 2. ;)
- LinkGun should have 2-3 AmmoPickups beside it IMO (to promote team linkage :D)
- LinkGun platforms in the Arena look black here.
- You can add BlockingVolumes in the escape hallway the same way they are in the Flak/Rocket hallways (if they don't block Spiders), just to make walldodging easier.
- Some of the vials in ramps are a bit misaligned.
http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/9033/aswan15uh.th.jpg (http://img506.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aswan15uh.jpg)

- The selected antiportals in the screen bellow could be removed I think. They are not wide enough to hide anything important unless you are very near them (which makes me wonder if you can add CullDistances to Antiportals lol). The map freezed sometimes in my comp for half a second. So many antiportals might be a reason... :rolleyes:
http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/4803/aswan29lj.jpg

- Three more irrelevant suggestions. :D
http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/1593/aswan33qq.jpg

:tup:

Wormbo
16th Apr 2006, 12:03 PM
Just some near-to-finishing nitpicking things: :)
- There isn't any AssaultPath actor in the map atm, so the bots are very unlikely to take other path than the shortest one (lift). I can plan a Bot-AssaultPathing network if you want, and post pics with the AP placement then.
Please do, I have no idea how to use AssaultPaths.

The AntiPortals in the jails considerably increase the framerate for me. The jail isn't that large, so there's a good chance you really are close enough. Similar things go for the antiportals in the pillars when you are on the upper level. Without the antiportals there, the enemy base and both jail areas would have to be considered for rendering all the time.

[edit]
corrected Health Vial positioning
added BlockingVolumes in escape tunnels
fixed the 3rd red base cam's Tag (accidentially assigned the value to Event instead)
added some diffuse lighting to the Linkgun pickup platforms in the arena

INIQUITOUS
16th Apr 2006, 06:35 PM
the changse to the light boxes make the map 100% better!! it looks really nice now :) Only a few things i found/still noticed.

The fluid surfaces stick out a tiny bit through the walls (the corners of the fluid surfaces).

The giant spider is red stil in the red jail (shouldnt it be blue? does it matter lol)

the bot pathing stil needs work, they stil get stuck where the bio rifle is and try to trans.

and the camera tex is yellow and not team colours...don't know if you intended that one..

and heres a screeny of a hiding place you stil havn't fixed, i noticed you fixed the top one but theres also this one, (just slap a blocking volume across the top so you cant trans onto the pillar edges)

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5498/aswan546iw.th.jpg (http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aswan546iw.jpg)

good job, looks much better :)

Wormbo
17th Apr 2006, 03:39 AM
The fluid surfaces stick out a tiny bit through the walls (the corners of the fluid surfaces).
What do you mean?

[edit]
added BlockingVolumes to your hiding places on the pillars
imported the JBSpiderMine-v2 package into myLevel and fixed the blue giant spider appearing red on clients

I can't see, why bots would still attempt to translocate near the Bio Rifle, though. (You mean the pickups below the switch, right?)

G.Lecter
17th Apr 2006, 10:25 AM
Done, I think didn't miss anything. Been spectating and playing a few rounds with the new AssaultPaths and they seem to work OK. The bots get distracted too much in the middle though (if they see someone to fight against they stop following any path web and jump all around like crazy :o). But anyway they use all the paths. :)
I attached a file with all them configured, instead of a bunch of screens. Just select all, copy, and paste in your map. You can use the four statues to match the actors with the map in the right place. Use the locks from the file or change the Tag of yours. ;)

For the trans bugs you can type 'reviewjumpspots' in the console and a bot with a trans appears trying to do every jump. Take note of those where the bot fails, go then to the JumpSpots in the Ed, and write a higher value in TranslocZOffset. ;)

INIQUITOUS
17th Apr 2006, 10:27 AM
What do you mean?

I can't see, why bots would still attempt to translocate near the Bio Rifle, though. (You mean the pickups below the switch, right?)

yeah i mean at the pickups below the switch. they always get stuck there.

look at the fluid surfaces and look at the ramps that go down into the tunnels, the fluid surface sticks through a bit, on all the ramps.

Wormbo
17th Apr 2006, 10:42 AM
Ah that, that's by design. I raised the surface a bit (compared to DOM-Aswan) because it would often go below the floor under heavy fire.

G.Lecter: Thanks for the assault paths and the jumpspot tip. :)

[edit]
Yup, really useful. However, Aswan's arena spiders should be removed prior to reviewing jumpspots. ;)

Wormbo
20th Apr 2006, 06:21 PM
Ok, I'm almost ready for another beta, but I'd like to teach bots how to use the escape route first.
I'm currently testing an improved version of the JBInfoEscape actor I already used in earlier versions of Aswan-v2. This new JBInfoEscape can assign bots to UnrealScriptedSequences as soon as the minimum number of players for an escape are in the jail. The mapper can then use the UnrealScriptedSequences to teach bots how to actually activate the escape route (for group escapes like on Aswan), how to aid others in escaping (e.g. crouching where a human ladder would make sense) or how to use a complicated individual escape route.

tarquin
21st Apr 2006, 02:18 AM
Sounds cool!
Can you put these in JBToolbox too?

CoolDude
21st Apr 2006, 03:11 AM
This new JBInfoEscape can assign bots to UnrealScriptedSequences as soon as the minimum number of players for an escape are in the jail. Nice. I've been playing around a bit with something simular.

It would be nice if you can add the following properties to it:
- Minimum Number Of Players (overal, like you mentioned)
- Minimum Number Of Human Players (ex. I need 3 players, but 2 must be human)
- CheckTime (in seconds, "0" is check continiously).
- Chance for passing on the event, "1.00" is pass always (?)
- Make sure it can be triggered and triggertoggled for activation.

Vatcilli zeitchef
21st Apr 2006, 03:45 AM
That sounds interresting indeed :)
Would be a good thing to have bots aid in the player's escape
Making it toggleable would be nice aswell, like this bots will be a step closer to being able to replace players in online matches

Wormbo
21st Apr 2006, 04:34 AM
You can set up a TriggeredCondition and link the JBInfoEscape to it. If there are enough human players and the condition is true, bots will attempt to activate the escape route. However, if no humand are in the jail or neither a minimum number of humans nor a condition have been specified or the JBInfoEscape's bSelfishBots property is enabled, bots will attempt to escape on their own if the minimum number of bots is available in the jail.

I'm having a problem with the UnrealScriptedSequence, though. I want bots to go to the button, then into the trigger area. However, bots seem to ignore further script instructions after reaching the button. :hmm:
Any idea what might be wrong here?

Wormbo
16th May 2006, 04:09 PM
Bah, I give up. No nifty bot support for now, as for some unknown reason the bots stop following the scripted sequence shortly after it was assigned.

I guess this new Beta 6 (http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/other/JB-Aswan-v2-Beta6.zip) with the AssaultPaths will be the last beta before the (long overdue) official release, unless anyone has an idea for getting the UnrealScriptedSequences to work.