PDA

View Full Version : Recovering UT99 feeling

*_*DaRk_AnGeL*_*
10th Apr 2005, 02:01 PM
I really think this new UT (Codename Envy) should get the UT99 feeling back.
I think it was because that the utk3/4 didn't have much success in the online ( that, and because ut99 didn't need serial number, but that is another story .... ).
If you ask me what is the ut99 feeling, i can't explain it, but if you played ut99, you know what i'm talking about.
Maybe it's from the music, maybe from the design of the maps, i don't know, i only know i prefered UT99 to UT 2003/4 ....

The_Head
10th Apr 2005, 03:16 PM
If you ask me what is the ut99 feeling, i can't explain it, but if you played ut99, you know what i'm talking about.
Maybe it's from the music, maybe from the design of the maps, i don't know, i only know i prefered UT99 to UT 2003/4 ....

Yeh I know exactly what you mean. And I can't explain it either......
Usually Nostalgia explains it to a lot of people. lol

O.S.T
10th Apr 2005, 05:26 PM
it's not only the maps, or the music
it's the graphic, the weapons, the gameplay, the models
everything

the new UT game woun't have the UT99 feeling
if you want the UT99 feeling you've to play UT99, but if you're open for something new, which may tend to the UT99 "feeling", but is an own game, UT envy could be the right choice(well, we have to see how it turns out, but with the feedback epic got, it will definitely tend to UT99, atleast more than to UT200X)

we can't have UT99 with improved graphics and physics and I don't think the majority wants the same game, we want a better game ;)

Nahand
10th Apr 2005, 05:32 PM
... i have UT and not UT2003/2004. To think i purposedly miss 200x generations only to get to Envy, wich in turn would be an "amp'ed" UT... i definitely don't think so. Besides, the first UT had enough crap going on, why there's so many people divinizing it i'll never understand...

edhe
11th Apr 2005, 05:58 AM
Jump Boots!

Taleweaver
11th Apr 2005, 06:26 AM
I really think this new UT (Codename Envy) should get the UT99 feeling back.
I think it was because that the utk3/4 didn't have much success in the online.
Really helpfull, buddy. Reminds me of a Dilbert joke:

Marketing: I don't know who would buy it or how much it will have to cost, but if you come up with the basic idea, we'll come up with the rest later
Engineer: when should it be done?
Marketing: Hey, do I look like someone who has a clue?

Allow me to put the finger on that "UT99" feeling:

Ultra-powerfull weapons, combined with lots of gibbage
Normal-sized levels, meaning that movement has to go back to singledodges as well

Note: This does NOT mean I agree with this. I think that if you want the UT99 feeling, you should play UT99 (omg! the obviousness!!!).

( that, and because ut99 didn't need serial number, but that is another story .... )
Yeah, that could certainly explain UT99's popularity in online games :lol:

The_Head
11th Apr 2005, 07:47 AM
Ultra-powerfull weapons, combined with lots of gibbage
Normal-sized levels, meaning that movement has to go back to singledodges as well

^^

edhe
11th Apr 2005, 09:15 AM
Gibbage, and plenty of bloody decals :)

iron12
11th Apr 2005, 10:48 AM
UT99 main focus was on fun. UT200X main focus is on competition.

UT99 is playing football in your back yard where everybody can play and the only rule is no kicking in the gonads.

UT200X is collage football where you have rules and stats and I have to hone my skills so I can be a good player. And now I can brag about how much of an athlete I am because I can double jump and kick off a wall and shot you. And we must get perfect weapon balance and bright skins turn the graphics and music down, anything that will give me an advantage because I have to win, win, win.

UT use to be a game now its a sport. :)

Olga
11th Apr 2005, 10:55 AM
I didn't like the difficulty of UT200x that much where I had to hop around like a rabbit just to win make it to the top five, but I liked bot matches in UT200x with the cool jumping because I can have fun with it.

Tournament0
11th Apr 2005, 11:29 AM
Jump pads!
Speed boosters!
:D

edhe
11th Apr 2005, 11:39 AM
UT99 main focus was on fun. UT200X main focus is on competition.

UT99 is playing football in your back yard where everybody can play and the only rule is no kicking in the gonads.

UT200X is collage football where you have rules and stats and I have to hone my skills so I can be a good player. And now I can brag about how much of an athlete I am because I can double jump and kick off a wall and shot you. And we must get perfect weapon balance and bright skins turn the graphics and music down, anything that will give me an advantage because I have to win, win, win.

UT use to be a game now its a sport. :)
You know... well said :)

|pure|Destruction
11th Apr 2005, 04:06 PM
ut99 was an experience you just had to have been there. what dude above said is close to correct. but theres alot more detail into why myself and others prefer ut99 over 2k4. although some of us have tolerated 2k3 and 2k4 all this time just to have something to play. i prefer ut1 anyday. if it were to have an actual sequel with the new UE3.0 it would be great. but would never be like ut1. (i dont think) but if they did it right it could be close... :hmm:

NeoNite
11th Apr 2005, 05:26 PM
UT is a bloodsport.

UT sequels, are they really that much "in your face" as the first UT?
Are they?

I can't see what's so much fun playing a game where everybody jumps around like monkeys on crack... :-/

Simple dodging sufficied for me. Double jumping was a nice addition. But the wall dodging, super jumps etc...nah, not really interesting.

carmatic
11th Apr 2005, 05:44 PM
yeah wasnt there a thread where someone said something about the atmosphere of ut99 was greater than the 2kx ut's? like the levels were smaller and gibs floated on water and people got incinerated in lava, and people got depressurised and popped, and jumping into space made the camera spin around your dead body, and getting gibbed made the camera bounce like your head... all those little touches came together to make a great game, and i kinda miss it... why do they switch to 3rd person when you get gibbed anyway, is it just to show off the ragdoll animation , which doesnt do anything to the gameplay anyway because they are client-side
ut99 was just a more beautiful game, the newer ut's were just static meshes and terrain...not to say they are bad, but ut99 had more atmosphere
if the next UT behaves abit more like the closed small level action of doom3 deathmatch, then it will be like UT99...

NeoNite
11th Apr 2005, 06:23 PM
Yeah, when you depressurise/get gibbed or killed by a headshot the camera remains in first person mode. Pretty sweet. I wish it would stay in first-person mode all the time though :O( Man, I hate that 3rd person camera view switching on when you die...

carmatic
11th Apr 2005, 06:31 PM
there is a mod out there (a crappy, probably still unfinished one) that put the camera in the same position as the characters head if it got shot off... so you can see it bounce all over the place and stuff... i would have thought this would work very very very well indeed with the ragdoll animations , like pinning the camera to a piece of the ragdoll, but looks like epic took the short way out... maybe its more 'sporting' to see your dead body, rather than to see what its like to 'be' your dead body...

edhe
12th Apr 2005, 04:58 AM
I agree. The death animations had a lot more work in UT than in 2kx - they just replaced them with the ragdoll, which was novel, but not lastingly cool like UT's.

To have the two ideas merged would be v.nice :)

Euphoric Beaver
12th Apr 2005, 10:12 AM
It's quite simple, the 2k4 player view is too low down and the player models are too small. When you're running about it actually looks like your crawling everywhere, especially when you're running up hills on Torlan, it feels like you're chin is scraping the floor. The in your face action isn't there because enemy models feel they are metres away when in reality they are only a few steps away, this is especially noticable when you switch to 3rd person view because the decos are so large in comparison. The TV screens in Deck just look rediculous when you stand next to them in 3rd person view.

There was a mod some time ago that increased the player height and model size by 20% which just felt alot better. Flakking somebody up close had a damn nice feel again and you could actually see models more clearly from across the map. Much more like the UT I know and love.

O.S.T
12th Apr 2005, 02:44 PM
Simple dodging sufficied for me. Double jumping was a nice addition. But the wall dodging, super jumps etc...nah, not really interesting.
super jumps and stuff are cool, but not in a FPS
maybe in a third person shooter, or a mario like game

btw. I think ciced is right

NeoNite
12th Apr 2005, 05:21 PM
super jumps and stuff are cool, but not in a FPS
maybe in a third person shooter, or a mario like game

Yes, that's what I was trying to say.
Your previous avatar pwns the new one, o.s.t.

carmatic
12th Apr 2005, 05:57 PM
(a few months later) eh? what new avatar?

anyway, i still cant figure out why epic made the characters so small and stuff , the characters feel as agile as a 2d platformer, and your jumping off walls and stuff... maybe by making the characters look small, the levels feel bigger which is what unreal engine 2.5 was supposed to do?

carmatic
12th Apr 2005, 06:56 PM
but in onslaught, dodgejumping to places still only got you slightly faster there, compared to plain running...

or, epic envisioned firefights between people on foot , basically around a node in the middle of nowhere , with probably a few structures around them, and hopefully making an interesting fight when they leap around like that... instead weapons get spammy up close and people end up trying to snipe people from long distances or something...

T2A`
12th Apr 2005, 07:19 PM
There was a mod some time ago that increased the player height and model size by 20% which just felt alot better. Flakking somebody up close had a damn nice feel again and you could actually see models more clearly from across the map. Much more like the UT I know and love.I wrote a mutator to do that awhile back. Ups the player scale by 25% while keeping the jumping ability exactly how it is now. Makes it much easier to see people across the map, getting hung up on static meshes doesn't happen anymore than it does already, and (unintentionally) headshots are a lot easier to pull off. If Epic does something like this with the player scale it'll be a step in the right direction.

Let me know if it doesn't work for some reason, but it should.

carmatic
12th Apr 2005, 07:29 PM
everyone running servers use this now!!!!

FireCrack
12th Apr 2005, 07:32 PM
what realy is needed is for the flak altfire shells to spew out several highly damaging flak chunks instead of several weak ones that you dont care about.

AMmayhem
12th Apr 2005, 07:46 PM

I don't know if you fixed it from the last time I used it, but I played it in Torlan once, and on occasion you'd spawn under the ground, and fall to your death on certain nodes. So whenever bots tried spawning there, they'd fall to they're death and keep trying and trying. Giving you no teammates if they're on your team.

I will add though, it felt a lot better playing with it on. :)

T2A`
12th Apr 2005, 07:47 PM
Well, I'm not an ONS player, so I just used it in TDM to see if it worked. :p

carmatic
12th Apr 2005, 07:55 PM
maek it ons compatiberlorz

::edit:: 1111oneoneoneoneoneon11oneone!

::edit:: uhh... not funnay...

::edit 2:: nvm

Death Cube K
12th Apr 2005, 08:12 PM
I wrote a mutator to do that awhile back. Ups the player scale by 25% while keeping the jumping ability exactly how it is now. Makes it much easier to see people across the map, getting hung up on static meshes doesn't happen anymore than it does already, and (unintentionally) headshots are a lot easier to pull off. If Epic does something like this with the player scale it'll be a step in the right direction.

I love you.

carmatic
12th Apr 2005, 08:16 PM
and oh btw deathcube, do you mind if i use your skin in my normal ut2k4 gameplay? most people would see me as gorge or something anyway if they didnt download the j2 skins...

Death Cube K
12th Apr 2005, 08:27 PM
and oh btw deathcube, do you mind if i use your skin in my normal ut2k4 gameplay? most people would see me as gorge or something anyway if they didnt download the j2 skins...

Go hog wild.

_Zd_Phoenix_
12th Apr 2005, 09:14 PM
It's quite simple, the 2k4 player view is too low down and the player models are too small.

Thank you!

It's really worrying how many people seem to miss these two things...I don't play the follow ups often at all, but when I do these are the things that just seem ridiculous to me, especially the character models...makes them seem like toys and it's less violent killing them.

NeoNite
13th Apr 2005, 06:18 AM
I remember some UT2K3 shots. A player standing next to a shock core in curse3.

The player was the exact size of the shock core. (And he wasn't crouching iirc _ )

The_Head
13th Apr 2005, 01:41 PM
Shock cores where massive though. But Yeh UT99 feels so much better. I reinstalled it at the weekend mainly so I could give my opinions in this thread lol. I really miss the gameplay.
I think the biggest thing missing from UT200x is the mad gameplay. Please Epic dont nerf it and make all the weapons weak lke on the newer games

NeoNite
13th Apr 2005, 05:15 PM
Shock cores where massive though. But Yeh UT99 feels so much better. I reinstalled it at the weekend mainly so I could give my opinions in this thread lol. I really miss the gameplay.
I think the biggest thing missing from UT200x is the mad gameplay. Please Epic dont nerf it and make all the weapons weak lke on the newer games

!!! 0_0

Shock cores aren't supposed to be THAT big!

Or players aren't supposed to be that tiny, whatever.

azcn2503
13th Apr 2005, 05:19 PM
I seem to be the only one who doesn't like UT99.

Nahand
14th Apr 2005, 07:25 AM
... in an analogy to a saying by a certain British gentleman: i don't exactly 'dig' UT, but until today, EPIC didn't managed to make a better one.

... there, i say it...

B
14th Apr 2005, 07:34 AM
what realy is needed is for the flak altfire shells to spew out several highly damaging flak chunks instead of several weak ones that you dont care about.

You should be hitting people in the face with the shell, no need for any chunks then. :D

carmatic
14th Apr 2005, 07:43 AM
but i thought that if you wanted to hit someone directly, you might as well use the primary fire.... make it more fun if you smash one of those shells in one corner of a room, then all the flak bounce around and kill someone on the other side of the room...

edhe
14th Apr 2005, 10:51 AM
Um.. ok.

Flak shell's got pretty crap splash damage these days, compared to UT99 anyway. If you want the effect of a close up flak kill slightly farther away, then do a ballistic shot with the flak #2 and hurt 'em bad.

Also usable to smack about their feet, put them in the air, or generally just spam.

NeoNite
14th Apr 2005, 11:54 AM
Well, the splash damage the primary fire did in UT... people complained about it right?
So, they had to eh tone it down, right?

The UT flak is a meanie :B

azcn2503, when and how long have you played UT?

JarJarBinks1234
14th Apr 2005, 12:01 PM
Well i dont know if anyone has mentioned this, so sorry if they have.

If you have g4tv (we finally got it in mississippi of all places :lol: :D ) then you might've seen a segment they did on the Unreal games. The people they interviewed from epic mentioned that they felt, overall, that UT2k3/4 were both failures, and that their next generation of the game was going to aim more towards what the game was like when it was first released.

Overall, i think the game looks spectacular, and i personally, cant wait. I really wanna run into someone in my scorpion and blow it up in their face.

azcn2503
14th Apr 2005, 04:12 PM
Kamikaze style! ANd I've played UT for a reasonable amount of time, but it was crasp, so not really a considerable amount. maybe err 15 hours total max play.

NeoNite
14th Apr 2005, 05:20 PM
Kamikaze style! ANd I've played UT for a reasonable amount of time, but it was crasp, so not really a considerable amount. maybe err 15 hours total max play.

0_ 15 hours is nothing.

Dark Pulse
15th Apr 2005, 01:06 AM
Well i dont know if anyone has mentioned this, so sorry if they have.

If you have g4tv (we finally got it in mississippi of all places :lol: :D ) then you might've seen a segment they did on the Unreal games. The people they interviewed from epic mentioned that they felt, overall, that UT2k3/4 were both failures, and that their next generation of the game was going to aim more towards what the game was like when it was first released.

Overall, i think the game looks spectacular, and i personally, cant wait. I really wanna run into someone in my scorpion and blow it up in their face.
Sits fine with me. I still fire up UT every so often - did it last night and just might do it again tonight.

Tetris L
15th Apr 2005, 01:48 AM
Let me guess: You never played UT'99 on clan level, right? It was as you described in 99 and maybe 2000, but later you had to read through 3 pages of official and unofficial rules before a match. :mad:

Dark Pulse
15th Apr 2005, 01:59 AM
Holy Crap, Tetris L is alive!

edhe
15th Apr 2005, 05:04 AM
What Tet said.

And yes he's alive, and very very busy :)

iron12
15th Apr 2005, 08:10 AM
Let me guess: You never played UT'99 on clan level, right? It was as you described in 99 and maybe 2000, but later you had to read through 3 pages of official and unofficial rules before a match. :mad:

And I bet they didn't even mention gonades :)

8-4-7-2
15th Apr 2005, 12:01 PM
True, but most of that legalese was converted to UT200x 1:1 :)

carmatic
15th Apr 2005, 08:51 PM
And I bet they didn't even mention gonades :)
maybe thats why we need the crotch shot mutator (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=157234)

::edit:: installed on clan matches