PDA

View Full Version : My "Thing I'd like to see in Envy" thread.

BooGiTyBoY
6th Apr 2005, 06:08 PM
One major thing I'd like them to do for the new game is capture that "arena tv show feel."

The whole point of this thing is it's supposed to be a futuristic pro-wrestling bloodsport with guns.

UT captured that pretty well with it's map designs and backround.
2K3 captured it perfectly with it's single-player intro.... then kinda forgot about it during the level designs, etc.
2K4... welll... 2k4 is more of a wargame than a televised bloodsport and feels nothing like what it's supposed to be.
UC2 from what I've seen from the videos it seems like they tried to stick with it and bring that feel back, (although I'm still mad at Epic for changing Gorge from a psycho penitentiary planet killer to an eyeliner fan-jealous malcolm-wannabee wuss. DAMN YOU!!!!)

I'd like to see lots of backround and a more "televised event" type atmosphere in Envy. Hell even if the map is placed in the woods somewhere, a little camera placed here and there in a tree would totally bring that feel back and remind you millions of people are watching you merrily frag away.

I'd also like to see this reflected more in the single-player. Maybe some reall short cut scenes before a match of the opponents entering the ring. Remember in the 2k3 intro when Malcolm hits the big red button to choose the playing field? How cool would THAT be. Playing a single player tournament and choosing random-type levels with the push of a button. It would be different everytime you played it.

Just some ideas... can ya tell I'm bored at the moment.. hehe.

NeoNite
6th Apr 2005, 06:27 PM
It would've been fun, in UT, if you had been able to wander around the Liandri building between ladder games.
See the crowd cheering for their favourite clan.. watching dozens of televisions broadcasting the next ctf-as-dom game etc...

Being among the crowd, visiting your quarters, chatting with your clanmates, taunting oppponents etc :D

You determine how long. If you return to a certain "room" (whatever... 0_) the game switches back to the ladder menu.

Olga
6th Apr 2005, 09:11 PM
Epic needs to bring back Liandri Central Core and a remix of Razorback that pwns for great justice.

Go&nd
7th Apr 2005, 12:19 AM
The whole point of this thing is it's supposed to be a futuristic pro-wrestling bloodsport with guns.

2K3 captured it perfectly with it's single-player intro.... .
I don't mean this as an assault on you personally, but I couldn't possibly disagree more. :lol: And I believe (I could be wrong) there's a quote somewhere in which Cliffyb expressed his dislike with the UT-Pro Wrestling association.

This is just my personal taste, but I can't stand pro wrestling and I'll feel both embarrassed and irritated to see it more closely associated (even just in concept) with my favorite online computer game. :hmm:

But...

It would've been fun, in UT, if you had been able to wander around the Liandri building between ladder games.
See the crowd cheering for their favourite clan.. watching dozens of televisions broadcasting the next ctf-as-dom game etc...

Being among the crowd, visiting your quarters, chatting with your clanmates, taunting oppponents etc :D

You determine how long. If you return to a certain "room" (whatever... 0_) the game switches back to the ladder menu.
Now this I like. :D :tup: I think something like this would be a fantastic idea (well, maybe not the crowds part).

For people who just want to get on with it, you can explicitly direct them to their next match via a lighted path along the floors or walls of the Liandri Complex (anyone here read Ender's Game?).

Or if you choose, you could visit different areas of the complex to scout out your opponents by speccing their matches.

And offering some basic interaction with characters in the single-player story outside of the actual matches would provide a great opportunity to flesh-out their personalities.

I guess this would seem similar to The City section in Thief: Deadly Shadows. Hopefully Epic would muster a more refined and focused version of the concept. :hmm: :D

Dark Pulse
7th Apr 2005, 12:51 AM
Now this I like. :D :tup: I think something like this would be a fantastic idea (well, maybe not the crowds part).

For people who just want to get on with it, you can explicitly direct them to their next match via a lighted path along the floors or walls of the Liandri Complex (anyone here read Ender's Game?).

Or if you choose, you could visit different areas of the complex to scout out your opponents by speccing their matches.

And offering some basic interaction with characters in the single-player story outside of the actual matches would provide a great opportunity to flesh-out their personalities.

I guess this would seem similar to The City section in Thief: Deadly Shadows. Hopefully Epic would muster a more refined and focused version of the concept. :hmm: :D
I completely love this idea as well. While I doubt it will happen, it would be insanely cool. Even cooler if you could set matches this way - If the Juggs get sick of your taunting, they could challenge you.

This could also factor a bit into the game "Lobbies" and the like.

Olga
7th Apr 2005, 01:08 AM
Maybe in multiplayer the pre-game lobby could be a small little area to mess around in?

T2A`
7th Apr 2005, 01:10 AM
I, too, do not like the "sport" feel. There should be some kind of story behind it, and the Liandri building lobby is a good idea, but it shouldn't be like American Idol with each team competing for a money prize or something while following the drama. It's just too cliche.

BooGiTyBoY
7th Apr 2005, 01:42 AM
I don't mean this as an assault on you personally, but I couldn't possibly disagree more. :lol: And I believe (I could be wrong) there's a quote somewhere in which Cliffyb expressed his dislike with the UT-Pro Wrestling association.
This is just my personal taste, but I can't stand pro wrestling and I'll feel both embarrassed and irritated to see it more closely associated (even just in concept) with my favorite online computer game. :hmm:

Why would I take that personally? haha. You're entitled to your opinion.

But anyways did you even play the first UT? The whole tournament started with underground leagues that went mainstream and were televised. The entire backround of the game is based on this. Should I have used Major League Baseball with guns as my example instead? haha. ;)
I for one would like to see that idea continued and was actually annoyed that 2k4 kind of broke away from that a little.

Far as the lobby thing goes, I'd like to see something along those lines as well as long as it's kept simple in design. :D

FireCrack
7th Apr 2005, 01:43 AM
It should be exactly like gladiators in ancient rome.

BooGiTyBoY
7th Apr 2005, 01:44 AM
Yeah.. with TV cameras and guns. :tup:

edhe
7th Apr 2005, 05:10 AM
IMHO the direction UT took for 2k3 was the wrong one, and i have a polar view on your first post boogity :)

I'd rather have the 'underground' feel back of assassins, mercs, cybers and the disgraced instead of supertroopers and pissed off aliens who lost their cats to a car.

But yeah, i'd rather see some greater character and tournament world development. Just none of this Announcer & Summariser pish.

Doikor
7th Apr 2005, 05:45 AM
The announcer rule. Its allways a pleasure to hear the GODLIKE from the sky :D

edhe
7th Apr 2005, 06:07 AM
That's not the one i'm talking about - i'm inferring the 2k3 intro announcer.

flo0tz
7th Apr 2005, 06:21 AM
I really like the having to buy players thing in ut200X, taht was cool, brought back mech warrior memories. Customisability in single player would be cool, like outfitting on certain team mates (to increase their speed/aim etc), for example you could buy implants to increase their abilities, rather than buy an expensive team mate.
Also i like a little drama in my single player, instead of just arena match after arena match. It'd be cool if there were interrupted/invaded/sabotaged matches. Oh yeah and a singleplayer STORY.

NeoNite
7th Apr 2005, 06:40 AM
UT "story" (http://www.planetunreal.com/utguide/spoverview.shtml)

This may sound familiar ;O)

"In 2291, in an attempt to control violence among deep space miners the New Earth Government legalized no-holds-bared fighting.

Liandri Mining Corporation, working with the NEG, established a series of leagues and bloody public exhibitions.

The fight's popularity grew with their brutality. Soon, Liandri discovered that the public matches were their most profitable enterprise.

The professional league was formed; a cabal of the most violent and skilled warriors in known space, selected to fight in a Grand Tournament.

Now it is 2341, 50 years have passed since founding of DeathMatch. Profits from the Tournament number in the hundreds of billions.

You have been selected to fight in the professional league by the Liandri Rules Board. Your strength and brutality are legendary.

The time has come to prove you are the best; to crush your enemies; to win the Tournament."

About the crowds well, maybe make it so you only view them for a short instance.
To get the arena feel.
(Nothing like the ut2K3 intro though, that one had the pro wrestling thing going on. Didn't like it.)

Dark Pulse
7th Apr 2005, 09:28 AM
Problem with the UT Story is that Epic fubared the timeline: UT says it takes place in 2341, whereas UT200x says UT took place circa 2293 (With 2003 being in 2302 and 2004 being in 2303.)

OMGEPICPLZFIXKTHX :p

Go&nd
7th Apr 2005, 10:53 AM
But anyways did you even play the first UT?

Don't mistake me for taking offense, but I know a few dozen friends and clan members who would laugh hysterically at someone asking me if I ever played the first UT. :lol:

;):tup:

(I've been dodging and shock-hoing since the days of the original Unreal. :D )

There is a distinct difference between the grim and gritty sci-fi bloodbath portrayed in UT and the brightly-colored flamboyance and contrived over-acting of pro wrestling. ;)

With the single-player intro in UT2K3 they took more of a pro wrestling approach. I viewed it as a departure from the distinct flavor of the original UT and when I viewed it, I got that sinking feeling that I would be sorely disappointed with UT2003.

NeoNite
7th Apr 2005, 05:23 PM
Problem with the UT Story is that Epic fubared the timeline: UT says it takes place in 2341, whereas UT200x says UT took place circa 2293 (With 2003 being in 2302 and 2004 being in 2303.)

OMGEPICPLZFIXKTHX :p

Well I don't care that epic has changed the timeline. UT storyline/dates is/are correct for me no matter what changed in the next ut games...

Captain Kewl
7th Apr 2005, 05:36 PM
The pro wrestling intro r0x0r3d (they kinda ruined it in the final build -- it was funnier in the beta). Compared to the boring OMG LOOK XAN IS IMPERVIOUS TO ROCKETS thing they had in 2k4 anyway. :P

neilthecellist
7th Apr 2005, 05:44 PM
I'd like to see something totally new, something like....

... Finally, as Liandri proceeded into its ___th year, they were confronted with rebels, this time, the rebels did not want to see Liandri in business so a whole new conflict erupted....

...and then make a whole Single Player game like Halo or Unreal2 that shows you (as a rebel) storming into the Liandri main office headquarters shooting people like a good FPS...like shooting enemies and a bunch of pillars in the meantime and admire those polygonal effects when the pillar is all shot up (like in The Matrix)

(but all of this would break the Unreal feeling)

Renegade Retard
7th Apr 2005, 05:47 PM
There is a distinct difference between the grim and gritty sci-fi bloodbath portrayed in UT and the brightly-colored flamboyance and contrived over-acting of pro wrestling.

Exactly. UT had a dark, almost underground feel to its tournament. 2k3 Portrayed a campy, fanboyism with it's contestants strutting to the stage like smug wrestling stars ("Can you smmmeeeeeeeeell what the Brock is cookin'?") 2k4 tried to get back to the UT feel, but disregarded the tournament them in its introduction and tried to portray it as a war.

Personally, I think a happy medium would be a them along the lines of the movie Running Man. It had a dark, underground feel to it, yet it also had the fanboys. Though some contestants compete for the thrill of the kill, many are force to play for various reasons. Regardless, it's a very dark and violent scene.

neilthecellist
7th Apr 2005, 05:52 PM
Why can't Epic just go back to UT 99 like gameplay and then have people MOD the game so that if they want fanboys, then modders can do that. none of Epic's business then!

NeoNite
7th Apr 2005, 05:55 PM
The pro wrestling intro r0x0r3d (they kinda ruined it in the final build-- it was funnier in the leaked alpha build I downloaded from teh interweb but only becuz I'm TEH BIG UNRELA FAN OLOLOL I culdn't wait 0_!!!!!1111). :P

Edited. Makes more sense now.

Hehe :D

1337 version (http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectp.cgi?dialect=hckr&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.beyondunreal.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D1783976%23post1783976)

BooGiTyBoY
7th Apr 2005, 07:18 PM
Personally, I think a happy medium would be a them along the lines of the movie Running Man. It had a dark, underground feel to it, yet it also had the fanboys. Though some contestants compete for the thrill of the kill, many are force to play for various reasons.

OMG SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Epic people read this board! Next thing we know my beloved Gorge will be entering the arena singing opera like Dynamo!
(Movie rules heavily by the way. Now I must go watch it again)

Anyways a little OT, haven't you ever wondered what the "home game" for Running Man was like that those people won on the show?

neilthecellist
7th Apr 2005, 07:23 PM
Why did they make Gorge all stupid in UT2004?

Captain Kewl
7th Apr 2005, 07:24 PM
Edited. Makes more sense now.

Hehe :D

1337 version (http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectp.cgi?dialect=hckr&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.beyondunreal.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D1783976%23post1783976)

OMG YA LOLOLO I LIEK UNRALE I HAVE ENVY BETQA > CAEK N COUNTAR STREIK OF DEFEAT OF DOOM

:P

neilthecellist
7th Apr 2005, 07:27 PM
LOL The language of L33t

BooGiTyBoY
7th Apr 2005, 07:28 PM
Why did they make Gorge all stupid in UT2004?

*slaps Neil with a buick.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN "made him stupid in 2k4"

Gorge is the coolest char ever created by man!

Well.. until they made UC2 that is. :(

Renegade Retard
7th Apr 2005, 08:51 PM
Gorge = Big, Dumb Cue Ball

BooGiTyBoY
7th Apr 2005, 09:26 PM
Gorge = Big, psychotic, murderous, death machine

Fixed :tup:

He was smart enough to kill Brock and break Malcolm's spine, hehe. ;)

FireCrack
7th Apr 2005, 09:39 PM
But then he got owned, by a skaarj. Who was subquesently owned by an errant spidermine.

Death Cube K
7th Apr 2005, 10:43 PM
But then he got owned, by a skaarj. Who was subquesently owned by an errant spidermine.

Not in MY version.

Thx u Boo.

One major thing I'd like them to do for the new game is capture that "arena tv show feel."

UT captured that pretty well with it's map designs and backround.
2K3 captured it perfectly with it's single-player intro.... then kinda forgot about it during the level designs, etc.
2K4... welll... 2k4 is more of a wargame than a televised bloodsport and feels nothing like what it's supposed to be.
UC2 from what I've seen from the videos it seems like they tried to stick with it and bring that feel back, (although I'm still mad at Epic for changing Gorge from a psycho penitentiary planet killer to an eyeliner fan-jealous malcolm-wannabee wuss. DAMN YOU!!!!)

I agree with all this. ESPECIALLY the part about how Epic ****ed up Gorge in UC2. Although they screwed over pretty much everything in that, especially the Necris.

Phayder != corporation
Necris != futuristic zombies

neilthecellist
8th Apr 2005, 12:08 AM
wait he killed brock? I know that he broke Malcolm's spine, but what about killing brock?

BooGiTyBoY
8th Apr 2005, 01:26 AM
From the UC2 Storyline:

"Brock:
Malcolms loyal teammate, Brock attempted to avenge his defeat and kill Gorge. His death was predictable. He was ressurected via the patented Necris Process"

edhe
8th Apr 2005, 04:45 AM
I still want to know how these people get injured and/or die when the game's all about respawning anyway o_o

Mena, wtf is up with that?

BooGiTyBoY
8th Apr 2005, 09:00 AM
They only respawn IN the arena :)
Besides I'm sure it's not a perfect science and there are side-effects/risks to it. SUch as Malcolm's broken spine, Gorge's scar from malcolm mentioned in the 2k3 intro, etc. Look at the translocator. Tells you right in the weapons description that too much usage causes the people using them to go skitzo and insane. :)

Which brings us way back to the underground fighting thing and using society's undesirables to fight in them. For example, Gorge is from a penal planet. (I said penal , hehe) Think the tournament people actually care wether he respawns safe and sound everytime without harm? haha.

Man, I love debating useless information and topics. :D

NeoNite
8th Apr 2005, 11:57 AM
Fixed :tup:

He was smart enough to kill Brock and break Malcolm's spine, hehe. ;)

Gorge would've been pwned by Loque. Pyschotic, mad whatnot.. he would've **** his cyborg pants and ran off.

LOQUE=DAH MAN :rant: :tup:

And don't you EVER forget it!

Epic did :O( ;O)
Useless topics indeed :D

Brock is a wimp.

BooGiTyBoY
8th Apr 2005, 12:08 PM
HOW DARE THEE!!! :lol:

Juggernaut:
Definition: "A massive inexorable force that seems to crush everything in its way"
The term juggernaut is used to describe any literal or metaphorical force regarded as unstoppable; that will crush all in its path.

See that?

ALL in it's path! ;)

neilthecellist
8th Apr 2005, 12:11 PM
In my mind, I think the idea of respawning and not giving a good reason/excuse to the how one can have the ability to respawn is ridiculous.

NeoNite
8th Apr 2005, 12:12 PM
Loque is above and beyond ALL, hombre ^_^

And not too mention George, the Skaarjbersker.

I wonder if Gorge could take on those Skaarj from Xidia. Those praetorian skaarj...
I'm not so sure he could. Those blades can easily cut through 30 cm of steel...
At least.
And they're a lot bigger/quicker than Gorge :p

neilthecellist
8th Apr 2005, 12:13 PM
Skaarj look a lot more....powerful, but then again, looking at the definition of Juggarnaut, Gorge should be able to take everything in his path ! ^_^

NeoNite
8th Apr 2005, 12:15 PM
Well, only one way to find out. Play Xidia.. and eh...don't be surprised if those praetorians kill you within 1 (2) second(s) time ;O)

I'll post a pic, showing how big they are.

neilthecellist
8th Apr 2005, 12:16 PM
I will kill everything in my path! (Just set the difficulty to novice!) ^_^

BooGiTyBoY
8th Apr 2005, 12:21 PM
And they're a lot bigger/quicker than Gorge :p

Subject: Gorge
Species: AGILITY-BOOSTED Human

C'mon! What else ya got! :lol:

He can take on any predator wannabee you throw at him! :D

neilthecellist
8th Apr 2005, 12:23 PM
What do I got? Novice - Inhuman takedown abilities.

NeoNite
8th Apr 2005, 12:29 PM
Subject: Gorge
Species: AGILITY-BOOSTED Human

C'mon! What else ya got! :lol:

He can take on any predator wannabee you throw at him! :D

A megaqueen which shoots 6 warhead missiles at once :D
and has 500K health.

Buh bye gorge ;O)

p.s.: Those skaarj are still quite though on the lowest skill.

Edit: Can't find the Praetorian pic now.

There are also skaarj called "deathhunters". One projectile does over 1 billion points damage.
And travels 3 times as fast as you can run :D

Bye gorge :D

I could go on like this, it's fun!

BooGiTyBoY
8th Apr 2005, 12:38 PM
bah!!! He's taken on WAVES of REDEEMER WARLORDS.
AND WON!!!!
(ask any of the J2 guys who play on Sudreal :P)

UNSTOPPABLE I TELL YOU!!!

NeoNite
8th Apr 2005, 12:47 PM
Boogityboy, it takes 5-6 skilled players at least 15 minutes or more to kill that thing :O)

I'm talking about a massive amount of bullets to drop that bitch. Because, that's what she is really 0_0

Shame you don't play UT. And I'm sure you wouldn't even consider uT Co-op?
We're fighthing modified monsters. Sometimes they're a lot worse than godlike bots...
That deathhunter for example, it's smart.

Anyway, I'll post the praetorian pic soon.
And what it's capable off.

Death Cube K
8th Apr 2005, 03:38 PM
bah!!! He's taken on WAVES of REDEEMER WARLORDS.
AND WON!!!!
(ask any of the J2 guys who play on Sudreal :P)

He ain't kidding, 30 foot Deemer warlords < Gorge.

NeoNite
8th Apr 2005, 06:04 PM
The entire respawning thing really ain't fair.
So I say, let's give both Gorge and the megaqueen 1 life.

Now who'd win, eh ;O)

Black_Seeds
8th Apr 2005, 08:28 PM
I would like to see both the next Unreal and the next Unreal Tournament released as one game :P

Olga
8th Apr 2005, 08:46 PM
The respawning thing is a gameplay element, it's doesn't really happen. Instead I'm sure they get knocked around a lot and then after the match they get medical treatment somewhere.

That's my take on it anyways.

neilthecellist
8th Apr 2005, 08:54 PM
Your theory makes sense, Olga, although I'd like to hear an official answer from Epic.

Death Cube K
8th Apr 2005, 09:31 PM
I don't buy it. Taking a dozen hand sized bits of white-hot shrapnel to the torso != "knocked around". I think it has something to do with cloning. After all, Remus/Romulous' bio mentions something about cloning tanks.

neilthecellist
8th Apr 2005, 09:41 PM
Romulous was created from a cloning tank, wasn't he? Respawning can't be cloning INSTANTLY........or can it?

BooGiTyBoY
8th Apr 2005, 09:48 PM
Shame you don't play UT. And I'm sure you wouldn't even consider uT Co-op?
We're fighthing modified monsters. Sometimes they're a lot worse than godlike bots...

Who says I dont? ;)
Von is right behind Gorge on my char list ya know... ;)

Ignotium
8th Apr 2005, 10:47 PM
i'll just say this

in UT you really fell you are playing a game, you really fell like in a "Tournament"
in UT2kX you just fell you are there to end the game

Death Cube K
9th Apr 2005, 12:37 AM
Romulous was created from a cloning tank, wasn't he?

Romulus' bio is as follows:
Supported by his twin brother, Romulus has proven that with the right team behind you a good leader can go anywhere. So what if his brother feels a little jealous now and then, and maybe they start taking shots at each other. That's what the cloning tank's for, right?

Von is right behind Gorge on my char list ya know...

Word, M2 for life yo.

Black_Seeds
9th Apr 2005, 01:12 AM
i'll just say this

in UT you really fell you are playing a game, you really fell like in a "Tournament"
in UT2kX you just fell you are there to end the game

I actually felt it the other way round, mainly because 2004 gave me alot more freedom of what i could do with my team.

NeoNite
9th Apr 2005, 11:51 AM
Who says I dont? ;)
Von is right behind Gorge on my char list ya know... ;)

Oh you do?
Well, if you'd ever consider Ut Co-op, get the oldskool mod and stop by 3s monsterhunt. We have some american regulars, it's doable (ping).
You'll need to get some maps, but 3 linked to a site (in the server name) where you can download all necessary mutators/maps.

It's worth it. It's a damn fine co-op server ^_^

Sometimes we play with a certain mutator, which makes monsters spawn out of destroyed barrels, chairs, tables etc..
Also lanters..
Really fun. Small skaarj, but they're quicker and better than the regular ones.

And there's also AKcoop. Enhanced monsters. This really is for veteran players, I don't want to sound 1337 or anything but it is ^_^
You're in for hard games if you play akcoop. And the deathhunter (small skaarj) will own you.

About the respawning thing:

Maybe it's virtual reality and they're all connected to machines.
When they unplug, they go back to their every-day life ;O)

Death Cube K
9th Apr 2005, 06:31 PM
About the respawning thing:

Maybe it's virtual reality and they're all connected to machines.
When they unplug, they go back to their every-day life ;O)

I still go with the clone theory, what with the bio I just posted saying it flat out and all. Then again, Epic has been pulling some massive retcons on a few character's backgrounds since 2k3 (i.e. in UT1 Bock & Lauren weren't even a couple), so I guess that could change too. Still, as far as we know right now, respawn = clone tanks.

Tournament0
10th Apr 2005, 07:05 AM
What I'd like to see in "Envy" is more ragdoll effects.
I would like to see other effects such as people doing some facial expressions and some hand gestures.
I hope it will be better than UT2004. It has to be!

iron12
10th Apr 2005, 07:52 AM
I have seen people falling over rails and stuff when the die, but I think it would be really cool if a body could be flung up against a spike and would hang there. That would be cool people would be putting spikes in there map just to see that.

Also I see in some of the maps where they have rotating fans and stuff but it never chops up the bodies. Come on chop those bodies up.

neilthecellist
10th Apr 2005, 02:08 PM
What I'd like to see in "Envy" is more ragdoll effects.
I would like to see other effects such as people doing some facial expressions and some hand gestures.
I hope it will be better than UT2004. It has to be!

i'm with you. In ut2k4, people died with flat faces.....so bland....