Giving your characters some emotion...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

old_man_funk

vanilla
Feb 17, 2004
UK
Has anybody ever thought of doing this?

Using the material sequence function in UnrealED it would be extremley easy to make skins that blink, sweat, laugh or cry. It would probably be taken for granted by most players, but it's a little bit of detail that might give you character a bit more life. I for one am eager to try this (and will, when I get a spare bit of time off skinning to experiment).

Just a thought :crazydance:

old_man_funk

old_man_funk

vanilla
Feb 17, 2004
UK
Yeh I don't think I'll be making a skin that pisses any time soon either! I'll probably give my UC2 skins some emotion though.

Death Dream

Sadistic Loser
Dec 4, 2004
USA, Iowa
deathdream.hollosite.com
Making him smile or something would be a task. Crying would be easy. Blinking is too if you do it the easy way. But making the eye lind go down then back up a again will ask for a lil more. Shouldnt be to hard though.

~Death Dream~

Kno One

in particular
Oct 15, 2002
Visit site
yea the material_sequence does offer alot of flexablity in what you can do to animate the skin(time delay, fade, etc..) i used it for the "spark" in the BMech visor. there is also the trigger function, so it might be possible to have a model wince in pain everytime it gets hit. that is assuming you can use a weapon hit as a trigger, not sure if it does or not haven't tried that one yet.(marks it down on list of things to do. daaaaaaaam this list is getting long)

old_man_funk

vanilla
Feb 17, 2004
UK
I'm eager to see how it looks ingame, it's an interesting concept but I really have no idea how it'll transer onto an actual character ingame.

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
Me too. But when skins can be animated with shaders/panners and so on then it should be possible. It's used in the unreal movie "The Everseason" on the models. Really nice work.

old_man_funk

vanilla
Feb 17, 2004
UK
Sounds cool DD, can you give us some information on what it was like to do? I mean how you achieved it and what the final result was like etc etc. We should have a competition to see who can come up with the best animated skin :p

old_man_funk

The Helios

Keeper of the Ancient Ones
Apr 17, 2004
:lol: Hide is right! BTW, I wonder if the new UT will have better options for that. I remeber the standard skeletons on 3dMAX... they have "emotional" postures and gestures. I think that the chance of customizing that would be awesome. (Just imagine a Skaarj really laughing at you!)

old_man_funk

vanilla
Feb 17, 2004
UK
I've just started working on a skin that blinks. It'll use a material sequence with about 4 or 5 skins for the actual animation, I'm still wondering what would be the best time delay for the blinking motion. How often do people blink, once every 3 or 4 seconds?

old_man_funk