PDA

View Full Version : Giving your characters some emotion...

old_man_funk
5th Apr 2005, 08:57 PM
Has anybody ever thought of doing this?

Using the material sequence function in UnrealED it would be extremley easy to make skins that blink, sweat, laugh or cry. It would probably be taken for granted by most players, but it's a little bit of detail that might give you character a bit more life. I for one am eager to try this (and will, when I get a spare bit of time off skinning to experiment).

Just a thought :crazydance:

old_man_funk

Death Dream
5th Apr 2005, 09:04 PM
Blinking hmmm never really thought about doing it. But i alread know how you would and I might just do it!

~Death Dream~

old_man_funk
5th Apr 2005, 09:07 PM
How about a skin that pisses itself? Or one that grows a beard?

:lol: :lol:

Death Dream
5th Apr 2005, 09:13 PM
Well I'm remaking my Jack Knife skin I release some time ago and I might do it to him. hes gona blink Im saying.

Peeing would be to easy and isn't something I want to do to my skins. At least not this one.

~Death Dream~

old_man_funk
5th Apr 2005, 09:16 PM
Yeh I don't think I'll be making a skin that pisses any time soon either! I'll probably give my UC2 skins some emotion though.

Death Dream
5th Apr 2005, 09:17 PM
Making him smile or something would be a task. Crying would be easy. Blinking is too if you do it the easy way. But making the eye lind go down then back up a again will ask for a lil more. Shouldnt be to hard though.

~Death Dream~

Kno One
5th Apr 2005, 10:01 PM
yea the material_sequence does offer alot of flexablity in what you can do to animate the skin(time delay, fade, etc..) i used it for the "spark" in the BMech visor. there is also the trigger function, so it might be possible to have a model wince in pain everytime it gets hit. that is assuming you can use a weapon hit as a trigger, not sure if it does or not haven't tried that one yet.(marks it down on list of things to do. daaaaaaaam this list is getting long)

Vailias
6th Apr 2005, 12:26 AM
I made a skin for Xan in Ut99 that had animating pulsating lights. Sadly the skin was really crap otherwise but the lighting effects were cool.

daloonie
6th Apr 2005, 06:50 AM
I think i'll look into that and trying some things out. I might publish something with those effects.

old_man_funk
6th Apr 2005, 09:22 AM
I'm eager to see how it looks ingame, it's an interesting concept but I really have no idea how it'll transer onto an actual character ingame.

daloonie
6th Apr 2005, 12:33 PM
Me too. But when skins can be animated with shaders/panners and so on then it should be possible. It's used in the unreal movie "The Everseason" on the models. Really nice work.

Death Dream
6th Apr 2005, 12:36 PM
Im going to start on some work with blinking eyes this weekend on my Jack Kinfe V2 skin. Ill tell you guys how it turns out when its done.

~Death Dream~

daloonie
6th Apr 2005, 12:40 PM
Found a link to UnrealWiki about this topic:
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/MaterialSequence

old_man_funk
6th Apr 2005, 12:41 PM
Sounds cool DD, can you give us some information on what it was like to do? I mean how you achieved it and what the final result was like etc etc. We should have a competition to see who can come up with the best animated skin :p

old_man_funk

Slaughter
6th Apr 2005, 08:50 PM
I thought about this too...some months ago while i redid the "everseason" skins.

Tho i was thinking about doing it with the animation function.

Hide
7th Apr 2005, 09:06 AM
There are skins which's eyes are animated by "MaterialSequence". ;)

For example

<---

The Helios
7th Apr 2005, 11:29 AM
:lol: Hide is right! BTW, I wonder if the new UT will have better options for that. I remeber the standard skeletons on 3dMAX... they have "emotional" postures and gestures. I think that the chance of customizing that would be awesome. (Just imagine a Skaarj really laughing at you!)

Death Dream
7th Apr 2005, 12:31 PM
Sounds cool DD, can you give us some information on what it was like to do? I mean how you achieved it and what the final result was like etc etc. We should have a competition to see who can come up with the best animated skin :p

old_man_funk

Sure will.

~Death Dream~

old_man_funk
12th Apr 2005, 04:36 PM
I've just started working on a skin that blinks. It'll use a material sequence with about 4 or 5 skins for the actual animation, I'm still wondering what would be the best time delay for the blinking motion. How often do people blink, once every 3 or 4 seconds?

old_man_funk

Death Dream
12th Apr 2005, 06:57 PM
Sounds good enough

~Death Dream~

mmoose
13th Apr 2005, 03:40 AM
the only thing to watch out for would be the file size. if your head map is 1024, and you have 4 frames of animation, thats essentially like having a 2048 texture for the head alone, for an effect that you will be the only one who notices... unless of course its some crazy anime skin with gigantor eyes :)

its a cool idea though - maybe you could do more than just emotion or pissing yourself with it? something...... crazier?

der metzgermeister
13th Apr 2005, 04:46 AM
maybe you could do a robot that electrocutes itself to make itself stronger or something. is that possible?

eklipse
13th Apr 2005, 06:16 AM
maybe you could do a robot that electrocutes itself to make itself stronger or something. is that possible?
woulding that have to do with the species atrributes?

anyways, im interested in the facial animations :). how hard would it be to make a script to display certain facial expressions when the character is hit, taunting, running, etc. :confused:

der metzgermeister
13th Apr 2005, 06:24 AM
Aye could be done as a taunt or something.
facial expressions of pain when hit, or if it was a robot bits flashing cos its broken. if it was human in place of it electrocuting itself (cos that wouldnt be healthy for a human) it could have the muscles tense or something. in fact muscles could tense when s/he is hit as well. Lots could be done with this.

The Helios
13th Apr 2005, 11:11 AM
Yeah... That's interesting. I wonder how many weird things can be made with the cybernetics... from making there eyes glow and animate things so you think is makin processes or something (Processing its oponent deaths!)

der metzgermeister
14th Apr 2005, 08:44 AM
If all teh skins were animated, the whole game could be made into something a lot more realistic. Could you get it so that they wet themselves if a redeemer is aimed at them?

Death Dream
14th Apr 2005, 01:00 PM
Im not sure if you can make a texture act upon a trigger of some sort. It there is thats news to me and really opens the door.

~Death Dream~

D3@thChild
14th Apr 2005, 01:42 PM
If all teh skins were animated, the whole game could be made into something a lot more realistic. Could you get it so that they wet themselves if a redeemer is aimed at them?

LOL

eklipse
14th Apr 2005, 02:35 PM
:lol:

W0RF
14th Apr 2005, 03:17 PM
You need to make their eyes bug out too, like AAAOOOOOOOOOOOOGAH!

It will be interesting to see this level of detail work its way into skins, although I have to say I won't be very well able to appreciate your results when I'm bunny-hopping around minispamming or rocketwhoring from 4000+ UU distance.

old_man_funk
14th Apr 2005, 06:37 PM
although I have to say I won't be very well able to appreciate your results when I'm bunny-hopping around minispamming or rocketwhoring from 4000+ UU distance.

Well it's the thought that counts :lol:

old_man_funk
16th Apr 2005, 08:01 PM
Here's an early test from my upcoming skin:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/oldmanfunk/blink.gif

Slaughter
16th Apr 2005, 08:13 PM
That rocks :D
I think iīll give this a shot with my new skin aswell...

How much frames are you using?

SaD
16th Apr 2005, 08:14 PM
Awsome :tup: .

eklipse
17th Apr 2005, 01:24 AM
indeed, i thought about doing that at the least ^_^;. if only someone could come up with a way to code a script so certain faces would display depending on the situation...i did read on unreal wiki that is it possible to manipulate certain verticies on a model for animation so maybe its possible to make a character actually move their eyebrows or mouth? just thinking is all ^_^;

Slaughter
17th Apr 2005, 08:36 AM
You would need a new skeleton and a complete set of new animations. :)

der metzgermeister
19th Apr 2005, 04:50 AM
if their health is less than say 90 then they could bleed, and more if its under 80 etc, like the little face in that old doom game is that possible?

The Helios
20th Apr 2005, 06:07 PM
:eek: Woa! It's awesome. And the idea of making it bleed is even more better. Maybe it could be a reference for other games. Hl-2 has good facial animations...

D3@thChild
20th Apr 2005, 07:51 PM
For a model to express facial animations a much more complex skeleton has to be built for the characters, UT2004 characters have one Neck bone and another for the Head, if you want eyebrows and facial movement imagine the kind of skeleton you have to create. I saw something like this at UDN and believe me their skeleton has more bones just in the face than the entire UT2004 characters all over their body. :lol:

eklipse
20th Apr 2005, 11:04 PM
i dont blame ya...the only character that i saw that had custom bone meshes for the face is Mars Attacks Martian. i loved how the eyes would ragdoll :D

Lei Hng Wei
21st Apr 2005, 08:13 PM
Ah yes, the Mars Attacks Martian. 1 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/LeiHngWei/UT2K4/Shot00105.jpg), 2 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/LeiHngWei/UT2K4/Shot00106.jpg), 3 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/LeiHngWei/UT2K4/Shot00108.jpg). :lol: