PDA

View Full Version : Epic and these boards

{TD}orgasmix
4th Apr 2005, 08:00 PM
i wonder does epic go to these boards and actually sees what players are lookin for. These boards contain a wealth of information that could benefit developers and designers. If someone from Epic is here, reply...please

Angel_Mapper
4th Apr 2005, 08:29 PM
I'm sure they listen to the community some, but in the end they'll do what they want. The community gives such contradictory suggestions, and aren't keeping in mind that Epic is a business. A lot of the suggestions I've seen would keep 'pros' happy but alienate new users. That = bad for business. On the other hand some suggestions would nerf the game so much that it would take away its uniqueness.

hal
4th Apr 2005, 08:59 PM
The answer is yes. Not only do they read these forums, but a number of the developers have accounts here. In fact, Ictus (Epic Games) made a post in another thread in this very forum.

Having said that, they don't spend a lot of time replying or getting involved in the discussion and I can certainly understand why.

FireCrack
4th Apr 2005, 09:25 PM
Yeah, far too many suggestions made by the community (read 99.9%) just arent good for one reason or another (not trying to bash anyone here)

As for the other 0.01%, well, those are mine! ;)

CyMek
5th Apr 2005, 05:33 PM
I believe I read that Epic does indeed have people who take time and read forums and see what the community wants. (I coulnd never do that... ugh.)

DeeperShade
5th Apr 2005, 05:59 PM
They're only here for the hotcarl threads ya know...

Almost
5th Apr 2005, 06:02 PM
You can't please everyone anyway. There is no way to incorporate every suggestion made or everything the community wants, so you might as well do it your own way. So far they've been quite good at it.

Ictus
5th Apr 2005, 11:14 PM
Some Epic people that I know who periodically read BuF

Me
Stuman
Entropy
Solidflux
Willhaven
Evolution

and of course there are probably lots of others who stop by every once and a while.

And many of us play quite a bit of UT1 and UT2004 and keep in contact with good players. Also, most of the level designers generally keep up with the community mapping scene.

"You can't please everyone anyway. There is no way to incorporate every suggestion made or everything the community wants, so you might as well do it your own way. So far they've been quite good at it."

well, that remark seems tailored to specific feature requests rather than overall community feeling. Epic definitely keeps track of how the community feels about the games in general. Lots of times we agree with the community on things anyway.

edhe
6th Apr 2005, 03:45 AM
Just implement the player skill-tracking so the game doesn't die to newstarts who get mauled :P

Mr.Magnetichead
6th Apr 2005, 06:48 AM
Some Epic people that I know who periodically read BuF

Willhaven

Can you give Will a wet willy and say 'UNBAN GRIM'

He'll understand what you mean.

Bullet10k
9th Apr 2005, 10:49 PM
Just implement the player skill-tracking so the game doesn't die to newstarts who get mauled :P
Yes, definately!