PDA

View Full Version : Linux version?

eXplosition
4th Apr 2005, 06:18 PM
Will there be a Linux version? Are there any signs of this?

I really hope there will be, and I think it isn't too much work for Epic either: there's an Unreal Engine for Linux, so outsourcing the code porting will certainly not cost a lot - and they'll have many happy gamers.

Selerox
4th Apr 2005, 06:26 PM
Will there be a Linux version? Are there any signs of this?

I really hope there will be, and I think it isn't too much work for Epic either: there's an Unreal Engine for Linux, so outsourcing the code porting will certainly not cost a lot - and they'll have many happy gamers.

UT2003/4 had Linux installers in the game as standard. I don't expect that'll change for UT3, same goes for the standalone server install.

edhe
5th Apr 2005, 04:20 AM
Like sel says - there has been linux support and probably always will be:

1) there's a growing amount of Linux gamers.
2) the dedicated server will be run mostly on linux servers for the inherent stability that a good *nix install has.

haarg
5th Apr 2005, 09:52 AM
Epic has claimed (http://www.beyondunreal.com/daedalus/singlepost.php?id=6277) they plan for the Unreal Editor to run on Linux and Macs as well.

FireCrack
5th Apr 2005, 10:11 PM
^Yeah, though i'm not a linuxer or a macer that makes me verry happy seeing epic's devotion.

Haarg your avatar is awesome btw.

Xipher
5th Apr 2005, 10:11 PM
Yes, thier will be Linux support, including for the tools (Unrealed and whatnot) since they have been porting them over to wxWidgets. Icculus has been working with the Epic team ever since UT2003, doing the ports for Linux and Mac, and his .plan shows that he is also on board for UE3.

Israphel
6th Apr 2005, 06:45 AM
I read recently that Epic said they wanted to get their games played by as many people as possible and would therefore always aim to get their games on Mac and Linuc as well as PC, as well as continuining to support all platforms in the shape of patch releases etc.

As a Mac user, this is brilliant and refreshing news. UT2k4 came out on the Mac at the same time (give or take a week) as the PC version, the demos were released at the same time...making it clear that it was developed alongside the PC version with Icculus working directly with Epic rather than being ported later by a sepetate studio who bought the rights (a la Aspyr with games like Doom 3 and BF 1942). This is the way it should be.

The fact that UE3 is going to be supported on Mac and Linux isn't that surprising in light of Epic's support of both platforms....but hearing that we will also get the Unreal Editor is an unexpected bonus....brilliant news.

Bazzi
6th Apr 2005, 07:05 AM
Well mac and desktop linux market shares are growing, Epic is definately heading in the right direction here...

Xipher
6th Apr 2005, 01:53 PM
making it clear that it was developed alongside the PC version with Icculus working directly with Epic rather than being ported later by a sepetate studio who bought the rights (a la Aspyr with games like Doom 3 and BF 1942). This is the way it should be.

Actually, I believe DooM3 wasn't outsourced at all. The developer was in house, and I believe his name is Timothee Besset, I have no idea why the Linux and Mac versions where released late though.

jasposfagot
21st Feb 2008, 09:04 PM
Sorry to resurrect this, but I searched Linux in UT3 threads, and this is all that came up. While not saying there will not be a Linux client, the following does sound a bit ominous.

When asked how the Mac and Linux versions were going, Mark Rein replied,

and Linux, it's just kind of a pet project, so if it happens it happens.

http://s10.video.blip.tv/14300024331...terview246.mov (approx 48 seconds in)

Doesn't sound good for the Linux people, but you never know.

Daverix
25th Feb 2008, 06:31 PM
Sorry to resurrect this, but I searched Linux in UT3 threads, and this is all that came up. While not saying there will not be a Linux client, the following does sound a bit ominous.

http://s10.video.blip.tv/14300024331...terview246.mov (approx 48 seconds in)

Link doesn't work...

I hate to sit and get things to work with wine and in the end I just wasted my time. I want more games that have native versions. Now it seems on id software is the only one that supports linux... :(

MrMaddog
27th Feb 2008, 01:00 AM

"and Linux, it's just kind of a pet project, so if it happens it happens."

The Mac and Linux ports are done by only one guy...that's it.

Plus Epic's stretched too thin by trying to support PC and console versions and trying to do major patches for both isn't really helping much. I'd rather wait a while longer for them to fix the game before porting rather than port UT3 as is.

There's a dedicated server version for Linux so it's better if you're hosting. But the game itself is still Windows only and not even Wine or Cedega would work for now. So you'll have to learn to love dual booting... :(

Lostsoul
27th Feb 2008, 01:34 PM
if only the original posters in this thread knew back then what they now know...